or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad contributes 89% of global tablet traffic
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPad contributes 89% of global tablet traffic

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 
A new study has found that 89 percent of the world's Internet traffic on tablets comes from Apple's iPad.

Research firm comScore announced a Device Essentials analytics service earlier this week reporting on digital traffic by device. The study uses "census-level information from tagged web page content" to reveal device usage.

The inaugural report found that Apple's iPad dominates across all 13 geographies tracked, accounting for more than 89 percent of tablet traffic across all markets.

According to the report, the iPad makes up the highest percentage of total non-computer traffic in Canada with 33.5 percent. Brazil is second with 31.8 percent, though it should be noted that non-computer devices comprise less than 1 percent of traffic in the country.

Though Android tablets are way behind the iPad in terms of traffic, Android smartphones led the iPhone with 35.6 percent of smartphone traffic, compared to Apple's 23.5 percent. comScore's data also suggested that iOS users are more likely to access the Internet over a Wi-Fi network than are Android users.

47.5 percent of iPhone traffic occurred over Wi-Fi networks, as opposed to 21.7 percent on Android phones. The vast majority, 91.9 percent, of iPad traffic took place over Wi-Fi, while Wi-Fi usage on Android tablets made up 65.2 percent.



Last month, research group Nielsen published a study that found the iPad has an 82 percent market share of tablets in the U.S. The Samsung Galaxy Tab was second with a 4 percent market share.

A number of analysts expect Apple to lead the tablet market for the "foreseeable future." As of earlier this month, Apple had sold 25 million iPads in the 14 months since the device's launch and is on track to sell more than 8 million units this quarter.
post #2 of 43
Funny how all these usage reports cross up a device vs an OS.

Perhaps they would like to list other "manufacturers" instead one vs a multiple.
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
Reply
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
Reply
post #3 of 43
Interestingly Apple's iPhone leads in 8 out of 11 countries regarding internet usage.
post #4 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by copeland View Post

Interestingly Apple's iPhone leads in 8 out of 11 countries regarding internet usage.

Agreed. All these reports and surveys about Android versus iPhone seem to be made up to validate some particular point of view. All these reports of Android sales having long ago overtaken iPhone sales, then a report like this showing iPhone internet usage leading by a wide margin in most countries. A recent AI article states that iPhone is the best selling smartphone in AT&T and Verizon stores. T-mobile says they have a million iPhones on their network even though they don't sell the iPhone and the iPhone isn't even designed to run well on that network.

How can these reports all be true. If Android is outselling iPhone it doesn't appear people are using them after they buy them. Someone please explain to me what is going on.

Also it is interesting to note that the Xoom and the Playbook are not even mentioned in the article.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #5 of 43
The main point of the article is ipad's percentage of the tablet market (the 89%), but the table seems to show the various operating systems contribution. I just do not see where they get 89% from the data shown. (although this does sound like a conservative estimate as far as the ipads percentage of the tablet market).
post #6 of 43
You can produce the number for any given market by just taking the iPad number as a percentage of (iPad+android+other tablet).

ie. for the US its (21.8/22.5)*100 = 96%

To produce the global numbers you'd have to weight by market, which Comscore don't provide us the numbers to replicate but we can assume that they have internally.

What's really damning about this number is that it suggests that either the galaxy tab's sell through is even worse than we all thought or perhaps worse still, people who bought it aren't actually using it very much.
post #7 of 43
I'm a big believer in the iPad as a platform, so what I'm about to say comes from an honest place: I wonder how much of this total traffic comes from people test driving iPads in Apple stores.

Go into any Apple store and the iPads are surrounded by people. They all use wifi to connect to the internet and are used constantly. Apple itself loves to talk about the significant foot traffic in their stores.

Go into any best buy, verizon store or ATT store and you are lucky to see even 1 android tablet on display in usable condition. It probably is not hooked up to the internet if it is there at all.

I'm not doubting Apple's ability to sell iPads or the number they have sold, its significant. I just can't help but think that some percentage of this usage total is going to demo units.
post #8 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceQuit View Post

I am not sure where I see the 89% coming from iPad activity. The report says the iPad's contribution is highest in Canada, but there it is just 33.5%.

The 89% is strictly the iPad's portion of all TABLET internet traffic. Each line totals ≈100% so 33.5% is the iPad's portion of all internet traffic in Canada which includes all devices.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #9 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by REC View Post

I'm a big believer in the iPad as a platform, so what I'm about to say comes from an honest place: I wonder how much of this total traffic comes from people test driving iPads in Apple stores.

Go into any Apple store and the iPads are surrounded by people. They all use wifi to connect to the internet and are used constantly. Apple itself loves to talk about the significant foot traffic in their stores.

Do the math.

I don't know the numbers but even guesses are good enough to prove the point.

Say there are 1,000 Apple Stores. Now, say that there are 10 iPads in each store. That's 10,000 demo iPads. Then, say that the iPad is in use 10 hours a day in the Apple Store compared to an average of 1 hour per day for owned iPads. That means that the Apple Store would account for the equivalent of 100,000 iPads in real service. Compare that to 25 million iPads sold and you have your answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Agreed. All these reports and surveys about Android versus iPhone seem to be made up to validate some particular point of view. All these reports of Android sales having long ago overtaken iPhone sales, then a report like this showing iPhone internet usage leading by a wide margin in most countries. A recent AI article states that iPhone is the best selling smartphone in AT&T and Verizon stores. T-mobile says they have a million iPhones on their network even though they don't sell the iPhone and the iPhone isn't even designed to run well on that network.

How can these reports all be true. If Android is outselling iPhone it doesn't appear people are using them after they buy them. Someone please explain to me what is going on.

Also it is interesting to note that the Xoom and the Playbook are not even mentioned in the article.

Xoom and Playbook are insignificant in terms of total numbers.

Note that PC Magazine said that the iPad was 97 or 98% of all tablet traffic - which seems more consistent with the numbers presented in this survey. I wonder where the 89% came from?

As for the rest, you're absolutely correct. The media and Android shills have tried very hard to obfuscate the issues. But look at the US figures. iOS devices account for 53% of total traffic vs 36% for Android. It's only by breaking down the iOS numbers into smaller categories that you can make Android 'win'.

I've said it before, but obviously the authors of articles like this don't get it.

MARKET SHARE IS A MEANINGLESS NUMBER when viewed by itself. It really comes down to what you are trying to determine.

If you are a software developer, what matters is dollars of revenue generated by each platform - where iOS wins hands-down.

Alternatively, a software developer might look at the total number of users for each platform - where iOS wins hands down.

If, OTOH, you are a device manufacturer making cell phone accessories, then the number of cell phones for each platform might matter (for example, if it's software that only works on phones). If that's the case, Android might have a slight advantage (although the fact that Android purchasers are less likely to spend money on software might work against you).

More likely, however, would be the number of devices of each model - if, for example, you were selling cases. In that case, the number of devices of each MODEL is what would matter - and iPhone and iPod Touch would certainly be on top.

If you're a telco, you'd be most interested in total traffic either by device or by OS - depending on what you were trying to figure out.

If you're an advertiser, you'd want to know the total number of eyeballs (which would be a combination of number of devices and hours of use).

If you're an investor, you're more interested in profitability than in market share.

And so on.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #10 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Note that PC Magazine said that the iPad was 97 or 98% of all tablet traffic - which seems more consistent with the numbers presented in this survey. I wonder where the 89% came from?

I think that the 97% is probably right for the US and the developed world in general, but if you look at developing markets there then it's significantly less - the 89% will be averaged across all markets, including those which comscore haven't provided us in their freebie press release like China.

Quote:
More likely, however, would be the number of devices of each model - if, for example, you were selling cases. In that case, the number of devices of each MODEL is what would matter - and iPhone and iPod Touch would certainly be on top.

This also is probably the most important thing for software devs too. Did you catch the news that Hulu had released on Android? Specifically on 6 models of Android.
post #11 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

The 89% is strictly the iPad's portion of all TABLET internet traffic. Each line totals ≈100% so 33.5% is the iPad's portion of all internet traffic in Canada which includes all devices.

It's still a bit early in the AM for me! Thanks all.
post #12 of 43
Most non-tech people probably don't even know what a 'tablet' is other than a form of stationary.

An iPad though? Different story.
post #13 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

I think that the 97% is probably right for the US and the developed world in general, but if you look at developing markets there then it's significantly less - the 89% will be averaged across all markets, including those which comscore haven't provided us in their freebie press release like China.

Do you really think that non-iPad tablets are significant ANYWHERE?

Look at the figures. For all the countries given, the iPad is > 98% of tablet net traffic. Now, consider that in less developed countries, tablet traffic is a fairly small percentage of the total. Add in the fact that total net traffic is highest in the countries that are already listed.

How in the world do you think that the developing markets could possibly be significant enough to drop the iPad's total from 98% to 89%?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #14 of 43
As others have said here and at MacRumors where this was posted a few days ago, the traffic seems to indicate sales figures of other tablets must be the sell into stores not out of stores. That or a lot of Android and other tablets are being used as coasters!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #15 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Do you really think that non-iPad tablets are significant ANYWHERE?

From the numbers they seem to be significant in South America. Also we're missing China, and China matters.

Quote:
Look at the figures. For all the countries given, the iPad is > 98% of tablet net traffic.

You're exaggerating given that it's only 97% in the US (using numbers quoted), and indeed could be anywhere between 96.4 and 97.3% since we only have 1 decimal place.

Quote:
Add in the fact that total net traffic is highest in the countries that are already listed.

Erm -I think you're wrong about that. Asia, and especially China has huge internet usage. The only asian market supplied in the table where iPad is >90% is Japan.

Quote:
How in the world do you think that the developing markets could possibly be significant enough to drop the iPad's total from 98% to 89%?

Because I think comscore have absolutely no reason to lie about something that could be easily checked by anybody buying their full data set. That and the fact that there are more internet users in Asia than in the US and Europe put together.


Source: http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm
post #16 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Do you really think that non-iPad tablets are significant ANYWHERE?

Look at the figures. For all the countries given, the iPad is > 98% of tablet net traffic. Now, consider that in less developed countries, table traffic is a fairly small percentage of the total. Add in the fact that total net traffic is highest in the countries that are already listed.

How in the world do you think that the developing markets could possibly be significant enough to drop the iPad's total from 98% to 89%?

Excellent point. I was looking at theheadline and and my first reaction was, "that share is too low."
post #17 of 43
*Shakes head at level of innumeracy among AI readers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

From the numbers they seem to be significant in South America. Also we're missing China, and China matters.

Really? Android makes up 4.8% of tablet usage in Brazil, 4.4% in Chile, and 3.1% in Argentine. How is that going to drag the worldwide average up to 11%? Oh, maybe you meant Bolivia.....

China? The total numbers are relatively small compared to worldwide figures so they can't have that much impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

You're exaggerating given that it's only 97% in the US (using numbers quoted), and indeed could be anywhere between 96.4 and 97.3% since we only have 1 decimal place.

It doesn't flipping matter. There is no country in the figures provided that comes anywhere close to 11% non-iPad figures. NONE OF THEM. So that would mean that the countries not published would have to have low iPad numbers AND their sales volumes would have to be high enough to swing the total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Erm -I think you're wrong about that. Asia, and especially China has huge internet usage. The only asian market supplied in the table where iPad is >90% is Japan.

Are you intentionally lying or do you not know how to read a table?

In Japan, the iPad is 100% of tablet usage according to this survey (obviously limited by significant figures). Singapore, the iPad is 94.9%. Australia (arguably not part of Asia, but still..), iPad is 98.1%. India is the only market where iPad falls BELOW 90% (88.9%) - and total tablet usage in India is very small - meaning that this number can't have much impact on the total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Because I think comscore have absolutely no reason to lie about something that could be easily checked by anybody buying their full data set. That and the fact that there are more internet users in Asia than in the US and Europe put together.

I never said that Comscore was lying. What I said was that different reports summarized the figures differently. PC Magazine says that Comscore reported that 97% of tablet usage was on the iPad (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387530,00.asp). Given the published figures, that 97% figure seems a lot more plausible than the 89% figure.

Total internet usage is irrelevant. TOTALLY irrelevant. This report is about the percentage of TABLET internet usage that occurs on the iPad vs other tablets. And total tablet penetration in Asia is tiny. Most of the countries with major tablet usage are in the table. (Heck, if you're going to argue that the countries that are not included in the table are more important than the ones included in the table, that would be an even more severe indictment of Comscore).

I really love how the Android shills can read data like this (where every country was overwhelmingly using the iPad for Internet usage - with the exception of India) and somehow conclude that the actual numbers are far lower because this table doesn't include Tibet and Bolivia.

And then you can claim that Comscore is completely reliable and honest and their published 89% figure must be correct - while claiming that Comscore didn't include all the countries that matter so the table is completely misleading.

If you read the actual report, you'd understand the discrepancy. Comscore said that the iPad accounted for equal to or greater than 89% of tablet traffic across all markets. That means that every single market had the iPad at greater than 89% (with India at 89% and everyone else much higher). It did NOT state that 89% was the global average. Comscore's statement is consistent with the data presented - as well as PC Magazine's analysis. The lowest market had 89% of tablet usage on the iPad - and everyone else was higher. Your statement is not.

And the real kicker is - it's hilarious how the Android shills don't get how bad it makes them look to say "the iPad ONLY has 89% of tablet traffic. Look at how well Android is doing". ROTFLMAO.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

From the numbers they seem to be significant in South America. Also we're missing China, and China matters.



You're exaggerating given that it's only 97% in the US (using numbers quoted), and indeed could be anywhere between 96.4 and 97.3% since we only have 1 decimal place.



Erm -I think you're wrong about that. Asia, and especially China has huge internet usage. The only asian market supplied in the table where iPad is >90% is Japan.



Because I think comscore have absolutely no reason to lie about something that could be easily checked by anybody buying their full data set. That and the fact that there are more internet users in Asia than in the US and Europe put together.


Source: http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm

Anecdotally...I was in China for the month of March and the only tablet I saw anyone use or widely sold, was the iPad. I recall off brands I did not recognize in the stores (rarely), but if I had to guess based on some time in just two provinces, I would say the iPad would be fairly dominant in a similar survey on China.
post #19 of 43
Anyone I meet that has questions about buying a tablet, I tell them to stay away from Android tablets because they're just cheap or not so cheap knockoffs of the Apple iPad. I'm exaggerating but I don't really care. Some of them show me these tablets they're selling in places like department stores and pharmacies for less than $200 and I tell them they're the worst devices they could possibly buy. I also tell them they should tell their friends the same thing.

If it's up to me, the Android tablet vendors would be better off to quit trying to sell tablets immediately. I'm spreading the Apple gospel. Many articles show how the Apple iPad is superior in quality and usage overall to most other tablets, so in a way I'm just helping my friends decide in favor of the best tablet they can buy for their money with the biggest and best ecosystem available. Since I'm in the NYC metro area, it's easy to soft-sell Apple since there's so many Apple retail stores around. Android tablets are going to have a hard time getting traction where I live. I do however see some Verizon TV commercial pushing Android tablets almost constantly so I don't know if that has any effect.

It will be amazing if Apple corners the tablet market like they did with the iPod. The tablet market honestly looks huge. Apple just needs to seriously boost iPad production and they could hold the majority of the tablet market with little effort. With their economies of scale and fat cash reserve, the sky's the limit. C'mon Apple, kick some tablet ass. By the time Windows 8 is available on tablets, Apple's iPad 3 should be well-positioned to fight off any attack Microsoft can muster. Sweet. At some point, Android tablet vendors are going to realize they're not going to get decent financial returns and they'll just slowly exit the market.
post #20 of 43
Another thing to note is that this doesn't take into account tablets running Windows (it can't). Being around for a decade has to count for something.
post #21 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Do the math.

I don't know the numbers but even guesses are good enough to prove the point.

Say there are 1,000 Apple Stores.

That is a number you could have looked up. Which is 325 as I recall.

Quote:


Now, say that there are 10 iPads in each store. That's 10,000 demo iPads.


I believe all the stores I go to are about 15 ipads if you include the one they use for work shops. But generally folks are playing games on them not the internet so I would say it's probably more like 3 hours each tops. So by using your methodology that would be approximately 15000 hours (we'll round up to cover the larger stores like 5th avenue that likely have more ipads and more like 5 hours each) not 100k.
Also, folks in control of their own ipad are more likely to be on it more than a demo one where they get shoo'd off after 20 minutes. So the home hours are probably 1 to 1 if not more like 2 to 1 over the demo units.

But then you also have to consider the 30 or so demo computers in each store which are way more likely to get internet use for facebook etc. They likely match if not beat the store ipad use when it comes to surfing. Thus adding to the total hours.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #22 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If you read the actual report, you'd understand the discrepancy. Comscore said that the iPad accounted for equal to or greater than 89% of tablet traffic across all markets. That means that every single market had the iPad at greater than 89% (with India at 89% and everyone else much higher). It did NOT state that 89% was the global average.

You could have just said that you know. It made your point without accusing me of lying or being an android shill or raping sheep. You're right, I misread that line of the report, 89% is the floor not the average. In my defence they phrased it very badly, had they said 'at least 89% in all markets' they would have been clearer.

I didn't see you acknowledge your mistake though, you were wrong about >98% though. Come to think of it I didn't call you a fanboi or accuse you of lying or being innumerate, but then that's presumably because I'm an evil sheep-screwing lying android shill.
post #23 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

You could have just said that you know. It made your point without accusing me of lying or being an android shill or raping sheep. You're right, I misread that line of the report, 89% is the floor not the average. In my defence they phrased it very badly, had they said 'at least 89% in all markets' they would have been clearer.

I didn't see you acknowledge your mistake though, you were wrong about >98% though. Come to think of it I didn't call you a fanboi or accuse you of lying or being innumerate, but then that's presumably because I'm an evil sheep-screwing lying android shill.

The US was 97% instead of 98%. Big deal.

Your post, OTOH was full of errors - all of which were major. When you make 10 major errors - all of which are clearly intended to make Android look better than it is, then it's hard to see you as anything but an Android shill. That's very different from a minor error in one number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

That is a number you could have looked up. Which is 325 as I recall.




I believe all the stores I go to are about 15 ipads if you include the one they use for work shops. But generally folks are playing games on them not the internet so I would say it's probably more like 3 hours each tops. So by using your methodology that would be approximately 15000 hours (we'll round up to cover the larger stores like 5th avenue that likely have more ipads and more like 5 hours each) not 100k.
Also, folks in control of their own ipad are more likely to be on it more than a demo one where they get shoo'd off after 20 minutes. So the home hours are probably 1 to 1 if not more like 2 to 1 over the demo units.

But then you also have to consider the 30 or so demo computers in each store which are way more likely to get internet use for facebook etc. They likely match if not beat the store ipad use when it comes to surfing. Thus adding to the total hours.

All the demo computers don't count. This survey recognizes the OS that's in use - and unless the Demo Macs in the Apple Store are running iOS, they can't be confused with tablets.

My point was that even using my very generous estimates, the number of iPads in Apple Stores is insignificant - refuting what someone else said. Your numbers only makes them even more insignificant.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #24 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

So I don't see how this makes sense.

iOS users use the internet in a disproportionately high amount. Seemingly, much more than the Android users.

But we were told that iOS users use Apps instead of the internet. But this information indicates that Android users use Apps more than iOS users, who disproportionately use lots of internet.

This doesn't make sense, or else it is not true that iOS users prefer Apps. It seems to indicate the opposite: That it is the Fandroids who use apps more than they use the internet.

There's no conflict. This study doesn't really address the amount of app usage.

All it says is that iOS devices account for the majority of non-computer internet access -- and the overwhelming majority of tablet internet access. It doesn't say anything about how much is app-based and how much is browser-based.

(Hint: it is possible that iOS users could use the internet more than Android users and ALSO use apps more than Android users).
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #25 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The US was 97% instead of 98%. Big deal.

Your post, OTOH was full of errors - all of which were major.

You said

Quote:
For all the countries given, the iPad is > 98% of tablet net traffic.

That was a pretty major error right there. My post wasn't full of errors, there was one and I admit it was major, I misread the comscore report of a floor for an average.

I don't have a pro-android agenda, if you don't believe me go and read anything else I've posted, I have a pro fact agenda. You might try owning up to your own serious errors and you might want to stop assuming that everybody who disagrees with you is motivated by some evil motive. Or you can continue to look like crazed fanboi - maybe that's working for you.
post #26 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

I'm an evil sheep-screwing lying android shill.

The first step in recovery is admitting to your problem ..... (relax ... just a joke ... couldn't resist walking through the door you opened for me.)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
post #27 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

I don't have a pro-android agenda, if you don't believe me go and read anything else I've posted, I have a pro fact agenda. You might try owning up to your own serious errors and you might want to stop assuming that.

ROTFLMAO. I guess that's why nearly everything you wrote about this article was wrong.

I'm still laughing about your 'facts' about Asia and South America being hotbeds of Android -and being the reason why Comscore is wrong.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #28 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

It seems to indicate the opposite: That it is the Fandroids who use apps more than they use the internet.

As jragosta says this is very unlikely, mostly because we know that there are only a handful of apps available on the android market that actually support their honeycomb tablets. Even Froyo tablets like the Galaxy Tab won't have an optimal experience and don't have much explicit app support - no Hulu Plus for example. If anything the fact that we aren't capturing App traffic here means it may be underestimate how much more iPads are used than Android-tabs.


Quote:
This is not good news for iADs.

iAds problems are real but they're more to do with advertisers not liking the way that it works than with any perception of a lack of eyeballs.

iAds doesn't allow advertisers control over which apps they end up on, and it doesn't allow advertisers to track information that they're interested in. Google naturally enough has a lot more experience in monetizing eyeballs, which is the polite way of saying that it can climb up its customers' assholes and tell you what they ate for breakfast.

I'm not really sure how Apple fix their problems with iAds, if they become as invasive of privacy as Google or even worse Facebook then consumers may react negatively, especially as Apple gets less of a free ride from the press than Google. On the other hand for as long as Google offers advertisers a more compelling (read invasive) proposition then iAds will continue to suffer.
post #29 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

Another possibility:

iOS users use the internet mostly, while Android users use Apps mostly.

Yup. That would explain why they all keep touting Flash. And, why Android developers are making tons of money.

/sarcasm.
post #30 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

ROTFLMAO. I guess that's why nearly everything you wrote about this article was wrong. .... etc etc

Hey, relax. You've made your point. I don't think his original post was meant to be such a slam on you -- no need to take it so personally. And, when someone comes back with an outstretched hand (well, sort of) and some self-deprecating humor, just consider it a mea cupla, and move on.
post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hey, relax. You've made your point.

Yes, I did - but then he continued to rant about how he was all about facts and getting things right. It was his hypocrisy that I was talking about in the post you cited.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

And, why Android developers are making tons of money.

I would love to know how much they were really making, so far the only data i've seen is that report about Rovio making considerable income from their free Android version of angry birds (more than their paid android version), but I'm not sure how to interpret that.

Rovio are almost certainly getting a premium to other Apps because of their popularity, in Android Advertising terms they're the superbowl. Anybody seen any decent analysis of this?
post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yes, I did - but then he continued to rant about how he was all about facts and getting things right. It was his hypocrisy that I was talking about in the post you cited.

Wait my hypocrisy? I made a big mistake and I owned it, you made a big mistake and you dismiss it. But this is about my hypocrisy? Dude you are projecting.
post #34 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yes, I did - but then he continued to rant about how he was all about facts and getting things right. It was his hypocrisy that I was talking about in the post you cited.

Most of us are hypocrites over something or the other some time or the other.

If you've never been one, good for you.
post #35 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

I would love to know how much they were really making, so far the only data i've seen is that report about Rovio making considerable income from their free Android version of angry birds (more than their paid), but I'm not sure how to interpret that.

Rovio are almost certainly getting a premium to other Apps because of their popularity, in Android Advertising terms they're the superbowl. Anybody seen any decent analysis of this?

http://gigaom.com/2011/05/27/android...aker-for-devs/
post #36 of 43
These figures are hardly surprising to anybody with a brain.

The iPad is something that people buy and use a lot. People use it for everything, from apps to general internet usage, such as surfing and streaming movies.

Tablets (made by everybody else besides Apple) are something that mostly sits on store shelves and collects dust. The few unfortunate bastards who do use them apparently don't do much with theirs, and they certainly don't use the internet a lot.
post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

So I don't see how this makes sense.

iOS users use the internet in a disproportionately high amount. Seemingly, much more than the Android users.

But we were told that iOS users use Apps instead of the internet. But this information indicates that Android users use Apps more than iOS users, who disproportionately use lots of internet.

This doesn't make sense, or else it is not true that iOS users prefer Apps. It seems to indicate the opposite: That it is the Fandroids who use apps more than they use the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

There's no conflict. This study doesn't really address the amount of app usage.

All it says is that iOS devices account for the majority of non-computer internet access -- and the overwhelming majority of tablet internet access. It doesn't say anything about how much is app-based and how much is browser-based.

(Hint: it is possible that iOS users could use the internet more than Android users and ALSO use apps more than Android users).

Apps and internet use are not mutually exclusive. Many apps use the internet constantly or abundantly. Take, for example, the Netflix app. And what about iTunes. Those two would account for mucho tablet traffic on the internet. This is bound to increase substantially with iCloud.
post #38 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

http://gigaom.com/2011/05/27/android...aker-for-devs/

That's only giving details about the paid-app revenue, where there is no doubt that Apple is miles ahead.

According to mobilemix the Android ecosystem is about even on Advertising revenue, but they fail to say exactly how much the total revenue is - they only give percentages, so I've no idea if its even remotely comparable to the 2.5BN that we know Apple has paid to iOS developers as of June.

Actually I don't even know if the 2.5BN includes advertising or not, I've been assuming not, I may need to go rewatch that bit of the keynote to be sure.

Edit: Ok - I found the site below projecting a 3.3BN mobile ad revenue for 2011. Now the problem is that now I don't know how much of that is search - which google owns outright. 2BN? More? All they say is it's the biggest category, which I could have guessed frankly. Bloody market research firms. Oh and I don't know if mobilemix is including mobile search. Where is Horace Dediu when I need him?


http://www.mobilemarketer.com/cms/ne...rch/10225.html.
post #39 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Apps and internet use are not mutually exclusive. Many apps use the internet constantly or abundantly. Take, for example, the Netflix app. And what about iTunes. Those two would account for mucho tablet traffic on the internet. This is bound to increase substantially with iCloud.


This survey isn't generic IP traffic, it's not even all HTTP traffic, its likely web-traffic in terms of pages served to a browser.

This is because the obvious way for them to distinguish between say a Galaxy Tablet and an android phone is by the browser ident string, and a non web-app making an internet connection wouldn't supply that string - it would use one of its own, if it did anything.

Incidentally this also means that it's possible that some of Other is actually iDevice, because some 3rd party browser apps like opera may not be distinguishing clearly between platform. I'd have to do some digging to find out if they all do.
post #40 of 43
Ok. Normally I'd dismiss yet another article claiming a new tablet that will kill the iPad, but in this case, the word is 'hurt'. So maybe we should cut them some slack.

Anyway, HP seems to be doing things differently, controlling the hardware and software of their tablet as does Apple, plus they have an ex-Apple employee to help them out.

A good feature they have is Synergy. Here an excerpt:

A webOS feature called Synergy lets developers design applications that talk to each other. Facebook friends' birthdays automatically show up in your contacts. Work and personal calendars, even those of a partner, appear together.

Users can make a call using their wireless carrier or Skype, without having to open separate applications. "The concept from the very beginning of this is, 'Your life is moving to the cloud,'" says Jon Rubinstein, who helped create the IMac and IPod at Apple before becoming chief executive officer of Palm.


Since this is a software feature, competitors could easily incorporate it into their own device, making the HP a tougher sell.

What do you guys think? http://smarthouse.com.au/Home_Office...blets/X7G4Q4Q8
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad contributes 89% of global tablet traffic