or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Inside iOS 5: New lock screen notifications, receding iMessage keyboard
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Inside iOS 5: New lock screen notifications, receding iMessage keyboard

post #1 of 74
Thread Starter 
The second beta of Apple's iOS 5.0 mobile operating system began making its way to developers on Friday, revealing cosmetic changes to certain lock-screen notifications, a slide away keyboard in iMessage, and other tweaks.

New Lock-Screen Alert Style

As previously discussed, users of iOS 5.0 this fall will be able to select between two distinct styles of notifications: traditional "Alert" notifications that overlay the screen (as they do in iOS 4.0) and require the user to dismiss them, and new "Banner" notifications that appear subtly at the top of the screen for a few seconds before rolling out of view and into the Notifications pull-down without any interaction.

With the release of iOS 5.0 beta 2, Apple has tweaked the display of traditional alerts that appear on the home screen, adorning them with slightly larger typeface and the icon of their associated application. After a few seconds without user interaction, however, these alerts will morph into the standard lock-screen alerts that tile one after the other on the lock-screen.



Receding Keyboard in iMessage

While it's not exactly clear whether the feature was present in the initial iOS 5.0 beta, developers evaluating the updated iMessage app in beta 2 note that the keyboard will gracefully recede downwards and out of view when scrolling upwards in a message history.



New iCloud icons and Active OTA Software Updates

Also apparent in beta 2 is a switch from the purple iCloud icons Apple had in place throughout various panels in beta 1 to the brushed aluminum style present in iCloud marketing materials.






That same icon also shows up while adding a new iCloud mail account, which is now the default account creation type, relegating MobileMe to the end of the automated email account setup list. Also, the over-the-air Software Update mechanism appears active in beta 2.

For more on what to expect in iOS 5.0 this fall, check out AppleInsider's ongoing series: Inside iOS 5.0
post #2 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

Don't these beta-testers have to sign an NDA?

These kind of leaks hurt the entire Community, because the competition gets a head-start.

The "competition" isn't coming to AI to get this info. If they want it they will have direct access so AI posting this stuff doesn't affect anything.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #3 of 74
To be nitpicky on these things, those bigger notifications on the homescreen are pretty ugly with the glossy bubble. To me it looks like design from windows vista, or the old design I thought they were getting away from. Design today is more about straight lines, flat tones, like when you see the list on the homescreen.. It's more elegant. I wish they would unify some of their design choices.

That metallic iCloud icon is straight up ugly. Not sure what they're thinking. I haven't seen the purple one but I feel it would be much nicer.


As for the messaging keyboard dropping down, I can clarify how it works. If you are swiping in the message pane, the screen scrolls as normal, but as soon as you are swiping down and continue swiping into the keyboard, that is when it drops down. It's nice this way so you can scroll up a bit if you have to without the keyboard going away.
post #4 of 74
If the competition wants, they can easily get Apple developer accounts and have direct access to unreleased software. Which I think we can agree is even more useful than the odd screen shot on an internet forum.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #5 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

Don't these beta-testers have to sign an NDA?

These kind of leaks hurt the entire Community, because the competition gets a head-start.

Competition can just send someone to sign up as a dev and get the beta..
post #6 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The "competition" isn't coming to AI to get this info. If they want it they will have direct access so AI posting this stuff doesn't affect anything.

I dunno - I think the guy in the gaberdine suit is a spy!
post #7 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by september11th View Post

To be nitpicky on these things, those bigger notifications on the homescreen are pretty ugly with the glossy bubble. To me it looks like design from windows vista, or the old design I thought they were getting away from. Design today is more about straight lines, flat tones, like when you see the list on the homescreen.. It's more elegant. I wish they would unify some of their design choices.

The use of gradients for "hot" info makes a distinction between that and "resident" info. Unifying design choices only makes sense if it serves usability, OS UIs aren't simply exercises in aesthetics.

For instance, Microsoft's Metro UI for WP 7 looks cool but has some problems with undifferentiated hierarchies of information and density. The slavish commitment to "flat" doesn't always serve usability.

Quote:
That metallic iCloud icon is straight up ugly. Not sure what they're thinking. I haven't seen the purple one but I feel it would be much nicer.

To each his own; I think it looks OK and that Apple probably wanted to visually link it to System Settings as another example of "plumbing", distinct from other types of apps.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #8 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

I dunno - I think the guy in the gaberdine suit is a spy!

Be careful-- his bow-tie is really a webcam.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #9 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by september11th View Post

That metallic iCloud icon is straight up ugly. Not sure what they're thinking. I haven't seen the purple one but I feel it would be much nicer.

I like the icon. It maintains the brushed metal from the old iSync icon but if I were to make a huge leap in reasoning I'd say that icon is perfect as an iCloud Inside (Ã* la Intel Inside) logo to be found on future TV sets.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

I dunno - I think the guy in the gaberdine suit is a spy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Be careful-- his bow-tie is really a webcam.

For those that are unaware and wish to be aware: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W773ZPJhcVw
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #10 of 74
All the competition needs to do is sign up to be an Apple developer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

Don't these beta-testers have to sign an NDA?

These kind of leaks hurt the entire Community, because the competition gets a head-start.
post #11 of 74
I assume Bob IS his Doctor...
post #12 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

Don't these beta-testers have to sign an NDA?

These kind of leaks hurt the entire Community, because the competition gets a head-start.

In case Google steals Apple's notification drawer?
post #13 of 74
I find it odd that no one has pointed out that Windows Live Hotmail is now a default mail account time, especially when it has more users than either Yahoo! Mail or Gmail.
post #14 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

I find it odd that no one has pointed out that Windows Live Hotmail is now a default mail account time, especially when it has more users than either Yahoo! Mail or Gmail.

Where are these stats published?
post #15 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

I find it odd that no one has pointed out that Windows Live Hotmail is now a default mail account time, especially when it has more users than either Yahoo! Mail or Gmail.

The second half of your sentence doesn't make sense within the context of the first half.

And Yahoo! shouldn't even be an option since they're stupid enough to monetize their POP.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #16 of 74
Can we PLEASE...PLEASE...PLEASE have improved calendar Event Alert options? At the moment, the OS only enables me to set a Event alert at 2 days prior to the date of the event.

At the moment, the Event alert options are as follows:

5 minutes before
15 minutes before
30 minutes before
1 hour before
2 hours before
1 day before
2 days before
On date of event

PLEASE...PLEASE...PLEASE add two more options:

1 week before
2 weeks before
1 month before
2 months before

My reasoning is as follows:
Let's say TODAY (June 25th, 2011) I found out about a band playing at the Shoreline Theater in Palo Alto, CA. That band is playing on August 20th, 2012, so the concert is over a year away. I would really like to go to that concert, but life gets really busy, I have a lot on my plate, so it's realistic it could slip my mind. If I am able to set an event alert a couple of weeks before, or a couple of months before, I will be able to pre plan well in advance, gather friends, buy tickets, etc. with plenty of time to spare.

However, If I'm only reminded of that event two days before (as current Even alerts options are set), I may miss getting a ticket in time or I might plan something else on the same day, having completely forgotten about that date, because I had remembered it over a year earlier.

Come on Apple. This is an easy addition to an updated OS.

Respectfully,

John
post #17 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblenio View Post

Come on Apple. This is an easy addition to an updated OS.

It's the little things that we never seem to get that rankle isn't it? I've wanted hierarchical playlists since I first filled my 2nd gen iPod. Nothing doing though.
post #18 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

Don't these beta-testers have to sign an NDA?

These kind of leaks hurt the entire Community, because the competition gets a head-start.

The "competition" could just sign up and download iOS5 beta. Very simple process.
post #19 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by september11th View Post

To be nitpicky on these things, those bigger notifications on the homescreen are pretty ugly with the glossy bubble. To me it looks like design from windows vista, or the old design I thought they were getting away from. Design today is more about straight lines, flat tones, like when you see the list on the homescreen.. It's more elegant. I wish they would unify some of their design choices.

That metallic iCloud icon is straight up ugly. Not sure what they're thinking. I haven't seen the purple one but I feel it would be much nicer.


As for the messaging keyboard dropping down, I can clarify how it works. If you are swiping in the message pane, the screen scrolls as normal, but as soon as you are swiping down and continue swiping into the keyboard, that is when it drops down. It's nice this way so you can scroll up a bit if you have to without the keyboard going away.

The brushed metal iCloud icon in large looks decent, but at that size, you're right, it looks horrible. It's just too small to contain that kind of texture and look pleasing to the eye. Way too busy. Purple icon definitely looked better. Actually, ANYTHING besides brushed metal would look better.
post #20 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

The brushed metal iCloud icon in large looks decent, but at that size, you're right, it looks horrible. It's just too small to contain that kind of texture and look pleasing to the eye. Way too busy. Purple icon definitely looked better. Actually, ANYTHING besides brushd metal would look better.

I'm suspending judgement till I see what it looks like on the actual hardware. Apple are such perfectionists about this kind of thing usually, that I 'd be really surprised if it's as ugly as it seems from that screenshot.
post #21 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Where are these stats published?

Here's a link that ranks top US websites based of # of visitors: http://www.hitwise.com/us/datacenter...ard-10133.html. Amongst email providers, Yahoo is on top. Perhaps one should combine Hotmail and MSN, but that still trails Yahoo. At the same time, visitors ≠ # of users. Furthermore, this does not take into account the rest of the world. I'm pretty sure not one of these companies has released reliable numbers about their email users.
post #22 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblenio View Post

Can we PLEASE...PLEASE...PLEASE have improved calendar Event Alert options? At the moment, the OS only enables me to set a Event alert at 2 days prior to the date of the event.

At the moment, the Event alert options are as follows:

5 minutes before
15 minutes before
30 minutes before
1 hour before
2 hours before
1 day before
2 days before
On date of event

PLEASE...PLEASE...PLEASE add two more options:

1 week before
2 weeks before
1 month before
2 months before

My reasoning is as follows:
Let's say TODAY (June 25th, 2011) I found out about a band playing at the Shoreline Theater in Palo Alto, CA. That band is playing on August 20th, 2012, so the concert is over a year away. I would really like to go to that concert, but life gets really busy, I have a lot on my plate, so it's realistic it could slip my mind. If I am able to set an event alert a couple of weeks before, or a couple of months before, I will be able to pre plan well in advance, gather friends, buy tickets, etc. with plenty of time to spare.

However, If I'm only reminded of that event two days before (as current Even alerts options are set), I may miss getting a ticket in time or I might plan something else on the same day, having completely forgotten about that date, because I had remembered it over a year earlier.

Come on Apple. This is an easy addition to an updated OS.

Respectfully,

John

Why not, in the rare instance that you need to reminded of something a good ways out before the event, just make a calendar entry for that? If you can make a calendar entry for "day of show", you can make a calendar entry a month or two weeks ahead for "buy tickets", I would think.

You might consider that an unnecessary extra step, but typically calendar alerts are used to remind me about the thing upcoming, not to remind me to do something in preparation for the thing upcoming, which logically is its own calendar entry.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #23 of 74
what are you, the software police? let apple's overpaid lawyers worry about NDAs. these leaks hurt no one and serve to give apple feedback based on reactions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

Don't these beta-testers have to sign an NDA?

These kind of leaks hurt the entire Community, because the competition gets a head-start.
post #24 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by september11th View Post

To be nitpicky on these things, those bigger notifications on the homescreen are pretty ugly with the glossy bubble. To me it looks like design from windows vista, or the old design I thought they were getting away from. Design today is more about straight lines, flat tones, like when you see the list on the homescreen.. It's more elegant. I wish they would unify some of their design choices.

That metallic iCloud icon is straight up ugly. Not sure what they're thinking. I haven't seen the purple one but I feel it would be much nicer.


As for the messaging keyboard dropping down, I can clarify how it works. If you are swiping in the message pane, the screen scrolls as normal, but as soon as you are swiping down and continue swiping into the keyboard, that is when it drops down. It's nice this way so you can scroll up a bit if you have to without the keyboard going away.

The brushed metal iCloud icon in large looks decent, but at that size, you're right, it looks horrible. It's just too small to contain that kind of texture and look pleasing to the eye. Way too busy. Purple icon definitely looked better. Actually, ANYTHING besides brushd metal would look better.
post #25 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblenio View Post

... PLEASE...PLEASE...PLEASE add two more options:

1 week before
2 weeks before
1 month before
2 months before

My reasoning is as follows:
Let's say TODAY (June 25th, 2011) I found out about a band playing at the Shoreline Theater in Palo Alto, CA. That band is playing on August 20th, 2012, so the concert is over a year away. I would really like to go to that concert, but life gets really busy, I have a lot on my plate, so it's realistic it could slip my mind. If I am able to set an event alert a couple of weeks before, or a couple of months before, I will be able to pre plan well in advance, gather friends, buy tickets, etc. with plenty of time to spare.

However, If I'm only reminded of that event two days before (as current Even alerts options are set), I may miss getting a ticket in time or I might plan something else on the same day, having completely forgotten about that date, because I had remembered it over a year earlier. ...

No offence but this sounds ridiculous to me.

If that's really how you use a calendar, then you are 'doing it wrong' as they say. It's a calendar not a personal assistant, wife or manager.
post #26 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

The brushed metal iCloud icon in large looks decent, but at that size, you're right, it looks horrible. It's just too small to contain that kind of texture and look pleasing to the eye. Way too busy. Purple icon definitely looked better. Actually, ANYTHING besides brushd metal would look better.

I agree with this evaluation.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #27 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Here's a link that ranks top US websites based of # of visitors: http://www.hitwise.com/us/datacenter...ard-10133.html. Amongst email providers, Yahoo is on top. Perhaps one should combine Hotmail and MSN, but that still trails Yahoo. At the same time, visitors ≠ # of users. Furthermore, this does not take into account the rest of the world. I'm pretty sure not one of these companies has released reliable numbers about their email users.

How can people use Yahoo!?!? Who is forcing these people to do something so horrible? Google may have anti-trust issues but Yahoo should be arraigned on torture charges for the UI alone.
post #28 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

All the competition needs to do is sign up to be an Apple developer.

True, but one person trying to root through every feature and how it might play out in the real world is not as powerful as someone posting features/interactions and such, and then having a large internet sounding board to think through various ideas. It's definitely not as simple as you seem to make it.
post #29 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While it's not exactly clear whether the feature was present in the initial iOS 5.0 beta, developers evaluating the updated iMessage app in beta 2 note that the keyboard will gracefully recede downwards and out of view when scrolling upwards in a message history.

Developers? Or rather, AppleInsider editors with developer accounts?
post #30 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

No offence but this sounds ridiculous to me.

If that's really how you use a calendar, then you are 'doing it wrong' as they say. It's a calendar not a personal assistant, wife or manager.

This is a simple request. Saying he's "holding it wrong" makes you look like a jerk.
post #31 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

How can people use Yahoo!?!? Who is forcing these people to do something so horrible? Google may have anti-trust issues but Yahoo should be arraigned on torture charges for the UI alone.

Far as I can tell yahoo mail looks exactly the same in IOS and MacOS mail.app as any other email.

Ohhh, you mean you still use a web browser? Who is forcing you to do something so horrible?
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
Reply
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
Reply
post #32 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

Far as I can tell yahoo mail looks exactly the same in IOS and MacOS mail.app as any other email.

Ohhh, you mean you still use a web browser? Who is forcing you to do something so horrible?

Of course I don't, but apparently millions of people do . http://www.hitwise.com/us/datacenter...ard-10133.html Shows yahoo mail the 5th most popular website in the US, and those aren't people using POP or IMAP, those are bone fide visual victims.
post #33 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

How can people use Yahoo!?!? Who is forcing these people to do something so horrible? Google may have anti-trust issues but Yahoo should be arraigned on torture charges for the UI alone.

Someone said something about "to each his own". They also have 3 different UIs. Which one are you going to arraign them on?

But, seriously, many people likely have multiple email accounts. I have like 15 myself, and facebook accounts to match. Each account has 14 friends.
post #34 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

No offence but this sounds ridiculous to me.

If that's really how you use a calendar, then you are 'doing it wrong' as they say. It's a calendar not a personal assistant, wife or manager.

Doesn't MacOS calendar allow for more definable alerts, i recall having alerts out to a week or maybe more for important events.

I also find the two day max tedious, as well as the two alert max. Why have any max? I frequently want an alert on monday so I can advise work of the blocked out time later in the week. Then on the day, then 2hours before, then 30min.

What is so hard to understand? From a code perspective it is nothing. Alerts exist, repeating alerts exist. Drop the max and pop up a date scroller, it is all there
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
Reply
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
Reply
post #35 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Of course I don't, but apparently millions of people do . http://www.hitwise.com/us/datacenter...ard-10133.html Shows yahoo mail the 5th most popular website in the US, and those aren't people using POP or IMAP, those are bone fide visual victims.

Yeah I know, i see them suffering every day, travelers mostly. Now here's a curious thing. Hotmail's attachment up/down a few months back stopped working on Google Chrome.

I'm yahoomail (since 1995-6 or something). Gmail/ymail -shrug-, but hotmail f&$k sake that thing is a mess and every revision it gets worse.
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
Reply
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
Reply
post #36 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

True, but one person trying to root through every feature and how it might play out in the real world is not as powerful as someone posting features/interactions and such, and then having a large internet sounding board to think through various ideas. It's definitely not as simple as you seem to make it.

If what we're talking about is "the competition" looking to steal ideas, then of course they're going to get a copy and root through every feature. In that scenario, relying on second hand reports and the musings of internet pundits would be ludicrous. I can't imagine why you'd think that casual second hand reporting wouldn't be "as powerful" as actually looking at the code.

Did you imagine that Google or MS or RIM are too pressed for time to assign anyone, or many someones, to keeping up with what Apple is doing, and need to get things handed to them by rumor sites? Do you figure that Apple relies on what Gizmodo or Engadget have to say about Android or BB or WP7 to get a sense of the competitive landscape?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #37 of 74
Hopefully someday Apple will support GMail properly. Having to go through the web interface just to flag spam, star a message, or apply a label is utterly retarded. This Apple/Google hate fest really needs to end.
post #38 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Hopefully someday Apple will support GMail properly. Having to go through the web interface just to flag spam, star a message, or apply a label is utterly retarded. This Apple/Google hate fest really needs to end.

I'd love that, but don't you mean that you hope that Google will support Apple properly rather than the other way around? As far as I know Google haven't opened up their custom API for accessing GMail.
post #39 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by n42 View Post

This is a simple request. Saying he's "holding it wrong" makes you look like a jerk.

He wants to be reminded of an event two years before it happens for cripes sake and was going on a long annoying tirade against the software maker for not allowing it.

Fine. I'm a jerk (but he's an idiot).

At the very least, he fails to understand the concept of "the reminder."
post #40 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Hopefully someday Apple will support GMail properly. Having to go through the web interface just to flag spam, star a message, or apply a label is utterly retarded. This Apple/Google hate fest really needs to end.

1) Apple added support for Gmail in OS X's Mail when Schmidt was on the Apple board, if not before, so I don't think you say these features aren't added because of a feud.

2) Does Gmail standardized IMAP flags?

3) I don't think Starring and Labels are part of IMAP but I might be wrong.

4) Gmail and MobileMe are so adept at getting rid of spam that I can't say this is a problem for me. In fact, the biggest issue I have with spam is Mail.app's junk mail filtering system flagging mail from AI so I just turned that feature off.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Inside iOS 5: New lock screen notifications, receding iMessage keyboard
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Inside iOS 5: New lock screen notifications, receding iMessage keyboard