or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Obama Doubles Down...on being Obama

Obama Doubles Down...on being Obama

post #1 of 57
So, I just watched Obama's third press conference of the year. For some reason, my reaction to it was so strong I felt compelled to post this thread. It's no secret that I disagree with Obama on the vast majority of issues. Despite that, there have been speeches he's made that I've thought were good. Notably, his speech on the Giffords shooting and the most recent State of the Union. I thought both were quite good, appropriate in tone and in message. This latest "speech" (which is what it turned into) is not one of them.

I won't really focus on his specific plans, ideas, claims and positions. Suffice it to say that I don't think spending billions more on infrastructure and "green energy" is going to help the economy, nor do I think that pulling 10,000 troops out of Afghanistan will help us succeed there, nor do I agree that he can continue to thumb his nose at Congress over Libya. I've accepted that Obama either A) honestly believes his economic policies will succeed or B) defines success as implementing his vision of a "remade" America, not by economic success.

Instead, I want to focus on the way he conducted himself, because frankly, that's what really bothered me. In short, he looked like an animatronic Constitutional lawyer giving giving a lecture to a bunch of wide-eyed 1-Ls at Harvard. Every answer droned on, sometimes for as much as 5 minutes. Each one sounded like it was read from a legal brief. There was not one answer that was to the point. I realize Presidents and politicians in general do this, but it was striking. Each answer was so wordy and evasive--to the point where several times I asked myself "what the hell is he talking about?"

His answers were also angry, condescending and self-serving. Many times he scolded Congress for daring to warn him on the War Powers Resolution (by "warn" I mean "ask for an explanation). He told them to "do their jobs" to get the debt deal done. Many answers contained statements began with "This administration, under my direction..." and ended with "no other administration has done that" or "in the previous administration" or "in the past decade." The best (worst) was when he talked about tough economic times and said "we know what to do." Really? Do you?

He used scare tactics as well. Discussing the August 2nd debt ceiling deadline, he said that it was a "hard deadline" and that the U.S would "not be able to pay its bills" after that date (later, he claimed it would happen unless something got done this week). This is clearly false, as tax receipts would allow us to keep paying bills for quite some time. He also extrapolated that "we" would then have to make choices about what bills to pay, meaning we might not "[be able to send out veterans' benefits and social security checks"]. He scolded Congress again for spending the money, but not paying the credit card bill. Of course, he left out that he pushed for most of that spending by ramming through the "stimulus," healthcare and other bills.

I don't know...take it is a rant, take it as whatever. I just can't believe this guy looks at what's happening with the economy and frankly, his own polling numbers...then doubles down on everything that got us (and him) here to begin with.

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #2 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

So, I just watched Obama's third press conference of the year. For some reason, my reaction to it was so strong I felt compelled to post this thread. It's no secret that I disagree with Obama on the vast majority of issues. Despite that, there have been speeches he's made that I've thought were good. Notably, his speech on the Giffords shooting and the most recent State of the Union. I thought both were quite good, appropriate in tone and in message. This latest "speech" (which is what it turned into) is not one of them.

I won't really focus on his specific plans, ideas, claims and positions. Suffice it to say that I don't think spending billions more on infrastructure and "green energy" is going to help the economy, nor do I think that pulling 10,000 troops out of Afghanistan will help us succeed there, nor do I agree that he can continue to thumb his nose at Congress over Libya. I've accepted that Obama either A) honestly believes his economic policies will succeed or B) defines success as implementing his vision of a "remade" America, not by economic success.

Instead, I want to focus on the way he conducted himself, because frankly, that's what really bothered me. In short, he looked like an animatronic Constitutional lawyer giving giving a lecture to a bunch of wide-eyed 1-Ls at Harvard. Every answer droned on, sometimes for as much as 5 minutes. Each one sounded like it was read from a legal brief. There was not one answer that was to the point. I realize Presidents and politicians in general do this, but it was striking. Each answer was so wordy and evasive--to the point where several times I asked myself "what the hell is he talking about?"

His answers were also angry, condescending and self-serving. Many times he scolded Congress for daring to warn him on the War Powers Resolution (by "warn" I mean "ask for an explanation). He told them to "do their jobs" to get the debt deal done. Many answers contained statements began with "This administration, under my direction..." and ended with "no other administration has done that" or "in the previous administration" or "in the past decade." The best (worst) was when he talked about tough economic times and said "we know what to do." Really? Do you?

He used scare tactics as well. Discussing the August 2nd debt ceiling deadline, he said that it was a "hard deadline" and that the U.S would "not be able to pay its bills" after that date (later, he claimed it would happen unless something got done this week). This is clearly false, as tax receipts would allow us to keep paying bills for quite some time. He also extrapolated that "we" would then have to make choices about what bills to pay, meaning we might not "[be able to send out veterans' benefits and social security checks"]. He scolded Congress again for spending the money, but not paying the credit card bill. Of course, he left out that he pushed for most of that spending by ramming through the "stimulus," healthcare and other bills.

I don't know...take it is a rant, take it as whatever. I just can't believe this guy looks at what's happening with the economy and frankly, his own polling numbers...then doubles down on everything that got us (and him) here to begin with.

Obama's reasoning is terrible. There are several posts that have even broken down his rhetorical style and noted his radical overuse of strawmen.

People may think it odd but one of the books I play to purchase that I wouldn't have given much thought to is Ann Coulter's newest Demonic. The title is of course crafted as a piece of Hyperbole and will generate sales (Like Bad Teacher for example.) However the relevant info about mob mentalities and how it short circuits liberal thinking looks to be amazing.

This interview with Andrew Breitbart is quite an interesting view as well. He details how he sort of woke up from the mob and the certainty of depth of his convictions up until that point.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #3 of 57
Kids versus the rich, apple pie vs....Republicans.

Does Obama think people making $250K re private jet owners?

Obama amused that people think he should be involved in debt talks. Quote from today: "Come on, man!"

A favorite quote of mine from today:

Quote:
"If we do not have revenues, that means there are a bunch of kids out there who do not have college scholarships," Obama said. "[It] might compromise the National Weather Services. It means we might not be funding critical medical research. It means food inspection might be compromised. I've said to Republican leaders, 'You go talk to your constituents and ask them, "Are you willing to compromise your kids' safety so some corporate-jet owner can get a tax break?" ' ''
post #4 of 57
Unless you are willing to offer the solution of a new higher tax bracket to raise taxes on as a compromise, your bitching about conflating those who make 250k and jet owners is disingenuous. Also, you clearly do not understand how tax brackets work in the first place--if you somehow do, you do a poor job demonstrating it.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #5 of 57
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #6 of 57
Austerity measures should not just be about the poor and working class taking cuts they can't afford while the tax rates of the rich are suddenly untouchable.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #7 of 57
So-called "austerity measures" would not be needed if governments had not meddled where they shouldn't have in the first place.

post #8 of 57
I find his propensity to claim his administration unique in the history of American politics to be particularly sdishonest and self-serving. For instance, today he had this to say:

"What I have done — and this is unprecedented, by the way, no administration's done this before — is I've said to each agency, don't just look at current regulations or don't just look at future regulations, regulations that we're proposing, let's go backwards and look at regulations that are already on the books, and if they don't make sense, let's get rid of them. And we are in the process of doing that . . ."

I suppose if you ignore the somewhat recent administrations of Carter, Reagan, Clinton and the two Bush boys, there might be some truth to the claim.

A little honesty (or review of history) would serve him well.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #9 of 57
You're just noticing this about Obama, SDW? He's been that way the whole time.
post #10 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Unless you are willing to offer the solution of a new higher tax bracket to raise taxes on as a compromise, your bitching about conflating those who make 250k and jet owners is disingenuous.

Coming from a man who does not know what Memorial Day is, thinks there are 57 states, and does not know what year it is....I don't think it's a stretch to think he might have blown this one.

Quote:

Also, you clearly do not understand how tax brackets work in the first place--if you somehow do, you do a poor job demonstrating it.

Oh jesus. He wasn't even talking about the brackets, nor am I.
post #11 of 57
Quote:

Austerity measures should not just be about the poor and working class taking cuts they can't afford while the tax rates of the rich are suddenly untouchable.

Just like Obama and Congressional Democrats, you simply cannot get this one simple fact through your head: The problem is not that we don't tax enough. The problem is spending and spending alone. Just like them, you're playing the class warfare game here.
post #12 of 57
Class warfare has been happening against the middle and lower classes since the 80s. The class warfare game your team plays has destroyed much of the middle class and has led to historically enormous income gaps between the rich and poor. Class warfare is only a dirty word because the rich who are constantly playing that game want it to be so that the overwhelming majority of people don't catch on and end the top 1%'s free ride.

So yes, it's time to declare war against those who would demand tax cuts to create jobs and then ship those same jobs overseas after the cuts pass anyway. Fuck them. And fuck those who would support them.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #13 of 57
I don't demand tax cuts. I demand the abolition of the income tax.

post #14 of 57

post #15 of 57
I'm sure I'm the only one in this forum that knew Obama before he burst onto the national scene. He was my state rep when I lived in Chicago. Shoot, we lived on the same street before he moved into that mansion.

Reading his "Updates from Springfield" in the local paper Obama always struck me a standard talking point urban democrat. No big ideas ... no original thoughts ... other than what's already there. All poverty problems are solved by more programs, more unions, more spending, more regulation on labor. Oh and keep Walmat out. All problems were caused by big business, unfair social structures, insert boilerplate rhetoric from rainbow push here, and statement from position paper from CAIR and pander to the other loyal constituency here.

So yea, his go to stuff is "rich fat cats" and "corporate special interests" and you know, don't actually write a stimulus bill, punt to the hill, and when that doesn't work ... stimulate again ... (look in play book and only see more spending) ... spend some more! Health care reform? Whatever those guys on the hill come up with, 'cause you know thinking and doing something original is hard stuff.

His pivots are 360 degrees because that's the only direction he knows. The only reason he knows that direction is because he was pointed that way. He's a follower not a leader.
post #16 of 57
Quote:

Class warfare has been happening against the middle and lower classes since the 80s. The class warfare game your team plays has destroyed much of the middle class and has led to historically enormous income gaps between the rich and poor. Class warfare is only a dirty word because the rich who are constantly playing that game want it to be so that the overwhelming majority of people don't catch on and end the top 1%'s free ride.

So yes, it's time to declare war against those who would demand tax cuts to create jobs and then ship those same jobs overseas after the cuts pass anyway. Fuck them. And fuck those who would support them.

You mean the rich are trying to keep their money and that companies do what is in their own best interests? Surely you're joking!
post #17 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

You mean the rich are trying to keep their money and that companies do what is in their own best interests? Surely you're joking!

Do you mean they're trying to keep all of the money?

And I'm sure they do what's best for them. Marie Antoinette did the same thing : Let them eat cake! "
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #18 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Do you mean they're trying to keep all of the money?

No, I mean they are trying to keep their money. Unlike you (and Michael Moore), I don't think that money is a "national resource" that the rich are hoarding. The government has no right to steal it just because they have more than you or I. This is especially true for earned income, which is what we're talking about when we discuss tax brackets.

By the way, what tax policy changes do you favor specifically?

Quote:

And I'm sure they do what's best for them. Marie Antoinette did the same thing : Let them eat cake! "

Actually, Marie Antoinette never actually said that, which shows what you know of history. Beyond that, the connection doesn't hold up. You're comparing, say, a neurosurgeon who earns $350,000 a year to...Marie Antoinette?
post #19 of 57
By the way: Obama tapes illegal fundraising ad in White House

War in Libya? No approval needed!

Violating Federal Election Laws? Well...you see what happened was...

Honestly, I just hope he doesn't go far enough to get himself impeached in the House. That will turn into a partisan circus and will distract from Obama's own record, which should be enough to deny him reelection.
post #20 of 57
We need a "If Bush had done this ..." thread.
post #21 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

We need a "If Bush had done this ..." thread.

We do. We really do.
post #22 of 57
Another PC. More dithering. More insistence on raising taxes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO34jERiMfw

Obama's plan is now clear. He has stated that the GOP must "budge." Meanwhile, his party feigns outrage over his supposed embrace of entitlement program funding cuts. Of course, this is nonsense. The Dems know we're going to need to make changes in Medicare and SS, and are fully willing to do so. By pretending to excoriate Obama, they then get to demonstrate "how far they are willing to go." Meanwhile, the GOP is going to be branded as "responsible" for the consequences of missing the August 2nd deadline, not to mention being branded as ideologues who only are interested in preserving tax "breaks" for those with private jets who fly back and forth to their oil wells.

It's all bullshit. Obama and the Dems explode the deficit and debt at a faster pace than any in history. They do so over near unanimous GOP opposition. Then they blame them for not raising the debt ceiling. Wow.
post #23 of 57
From today's talks:

Quote:
Boehner said at one point that “it’s clear to all of us how big this spending problem is. Congress keeps voting for programs we can’t pay for. But look, entitlement cuts aren’t easy for us to vote for either. Our guys aren’t cheerleading about cutting entitlements.”

“Your guys already voted for them,” the president said, referring to the budget offered by House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan, R-Wisc.

“Excuse us for trying to lead,” Boehner said.

Exactly. The President is not just wrong, he's not leading.
post #24 of 57
Hah. Boehner. Holding the world economy hostage and refusing to compromise one bit. Psychopaths, the lot of the Republican party.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #25 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by br View Post

hah. Obama. Holding the world economy hostage and refusing to compromise one bit. Psychopaths, the lot of the democrat party.

tftfy
post #26 of 57
"Hah. Government. Holding the world economy hostage and refusing to compromise one bit. Psychopaths, the lot of them."

tftfy

post #27 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

tftfy

Republicans raised the debt ceiling 7 times under GWB without issue...without even a peep. Now when it comes time for it during Obama's presidency? APOCALYPSE! NOW ALL OF A SUDDEN DEFICITS MATTER!

"Deficits don't matter." -Dick Cheney

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #28 of 57
"The fact that we are here today to debate raising Americas debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government cant pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Governments reckless fiscal policies.

"Over the past 5 years, our federal debt has increased by $3.5 trillion to $8.6 trillion.That is 'trillion' with a 'T'. That is money that we have borrowed from the Social Security trust fund, borrowed from China and Japan, borrowed from American taxpayers. And over the next 5 years, between now and 2011, the Presidents budget will increase the debt by almost another $3.5 trillion.

"Numbers that large are sometimes hard to understand. Some people may wonder why they matter. Here is why: This year, the Federal Government will spend $220 billion on interest. That is more money to pay interest on our national debt than well spend on Medicaid and the State Childrens Health Insurance Program. That is more money to pay interest on our debt this year than we will spend on education, homeland security, transportation, and veterans benefits combined. It is more money in one year than we are likely to spend to rebuild the devastated gulf coast in a way that honors the best of America.

"And the cost of our debt is one of the fastest growing expenses in the Federal budget. This rising debt is a hidden domestic enemy, robbing our cities and States of critical investments in infrastructure like bridges, ports, and levees; robbing our families and our children of critical investments in education and health care reform; robbing our seniors of the retirement and health security they have counted on.

"Every dollar we pay in interest is a dollar that is not going to investment in Americas priorities."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

post #29 of 57
Quote:

Republicans raised the debt ceiling 7 times under GWB without issue...without even a peep. Now when it comes time for it during Obama's presidency? APOCALYPSE! NOW ALL OF A SUDDEN DEFICITS MATTER!

"Deficits don't matter." -Dick Cheney

When Cheney said that, deficits were in the $200 billion range. The national debt was somewhere around 7-8 trillion, or about 50% of GDP. In that context, I wouldn't agree they "don't matter," but I would agree at that level, they don't matter a whole lot. Those deficits were sustainable, even if regrettable.

Since taking office, the deficit has gone from about $300-$400 billion per year (hitting a low of less than $197 billion in 2007 despite lower taxes) to $1.5 trillion per year. The debt has gone from 50% of GDP to 100% in two years. You wouldn't agree that circumstances are different?

The other part of this is the shift in Republican politics. Boehner and McConnell fully realize that it's the anti-debt/anti-deficit tea party influence that put the GOP in power. As of today, they appear to be listening to their voters.
post #30 of 57
Obama says he can't guarantee SS checks will go out August 3rd.

What a motherfucking liar. Seriously, it's a premeditated lie of epic proportions.
post #31 of 57
Quote:

It matters now because the insane level of Obama's economic stimulus & bailout plans means that the U.S. has borrowed money it will likely never be able to repay.
You have been printing money wildly over the past five years, and the whole world knows it.

Republicans are looking at electoral calculations to be sure.
But the simple fact is that the U.S. can begin to make the hard choices now, or make even worse choices later.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #32 of 57
And let's not pretend raising the limit under Bush went through "without a peep".

People in both parties spoke harshly against it. Including a certain senator from Illinois.
post #33 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

And let's not pretend raising the limit under Bush went through "without a peep".

People in both parties spoke harshly against it. Including a certain senator from Illinois.

Another good point.
post #34 of 57
Not even a peep was clearly hyperbole. Relatively speaking, raising the debt ceiling under GWB wasn't a huge issue. There was never a real threat that we would ever go into default. Sure, a little political posturing here and there, but that was about it.

It's a whole different ballgame now. The same folks who either didn't or limply objected to raising it under GWB have raging debt boners this time around.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #35 of 57
Quote:

Not even a peep was clearly hyperbole. Relatively speaking, raising the debt ceiling under GWB wasn't a huge issue. There was never a real threat that we would ever go into default. Sure, a little political posturing here and there, but that was about it.

It's a whole different ballgame now. The same folks who either didn't or limply objected to raising it under GWB have raging debt boners this time around.

Look, I have no idea what rock you've been living under. But 2011 looks nothing like 2007.

The U.S. has been bailing out bankers, buying shares in car companies and printing money wildly to cover it all whilst whole middle American suburban communities have been foreclosed and abandoned, looking like parts of Detroit.

The Euro is threatening to tank because of the PIIGS, worldwide food prices are rising to dangerous levels, China's housing bubble is about to burst and mighty Japan is still reeling from a devastating national emergency.

Put down the whatever atheist screed you're currently reading and pick up a newspaper.

Continuing to borrow endlessly is a recipe for turning the U.S. into Argentina. That's why this is an issue now.
post #36 of 57
So, raise taxes on those who can afford it, close tax loopholes (those that allow hedge fund managers to pay only 15% on their income), and don't take money away from those who CAN'T afford it.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #37 of 57
deleted
post #38 of 57
Quote:

So, raise taxes on those who can afford it, close tax loopholes (those that allow hedge fund managers to pay only 15% on their income), and don't take money away from those who CAN'T afford it.

The "soak the rich" class warfare idea is always a staple of leftie-style Zimbabwe economics. However, the reason you always have to redefine "rich" to mean "small business people" is because there aren't enough rich people to pay the exorbitant spending lefties want.

You could seize 100% of the wealth of U.S. billionaires and run the U.S. government for what, a year?

You claim to believe in science, but obviously don't get math. Tax rules can and should be tightened, but that will only get you maybe 10% of the way home.
post #39 of 57
deleted
post #40 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Theres class warfare, all right, but its my class, the rich class, thats making war, and were winning.
- Warren Buffett
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/26/bu...y/26every.html

Indeed.

-Sagan

-Sagan
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Obama Doubles Down...on being Obama