or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Obama Doubles Down...on being Obama

Obama Doubles Down...on being Obama - Page 2

post #41 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

“There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.”
- Warren Buffett
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/26/bu...y/26every.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Indeed.

That's funny. Instead of responding to the specific points being made, you find a quote from one person who's rich and supports your worldview.

And you think that somehow makes you right.
The left is hilariously deluded and unfit to govern a hot dog stand.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #42 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

The "soak the rich" class warfare idea is always a staple of leftie-style Zimbabwe economics. However, the reason you always have to redefine "rich" to mean "small business people" is because there aren't enough rich people to pay the exorbitant spending lefties want.

You could seize 100% of the wealth of U.S. billionaires and run the U.S. government for what, a year?

You claim to believe in science, but obviously don't get math. Tax rules can and should be tightened, but that will only get you maybe 10% of the way home.

Yes, because raising taxes is the ONLY thing I'm saying we should do. We also need to slash the shit out of defense. There's NO reason to spend more than the rest of the world combined. None.

Also, remove the profit motivation from healthcare by going full single payer and we drive down costs there, too.

Legalize all drugs and tax them. Drug war ends plus we get tax revenue.

You and your BUT BUT BUT SOAK THE RICH WAAAAH argument holds no water.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #43 of 57
Quote:

You could seize 100% of the wealth of U.S. billionaires and run the U.S. government for what, a year?

Considerably less than that.

The aggregate taxable income of every US "millionaire and billionaire" equaled $625,399,107,000 in 2009 - the latest year for which IRS data exists.

The US Treasury runs an annual budget of approximately $3,800,000,000,000.

Take every penny earned by every "millionaire and billionaire", everything, leaving them exactly nothing, not a penny to themselves (or for the states in which they live for that matter), and you can operate the federal government... for exactly two months.

Quote:
You claim to believe in science, but obviously don't get math.

Clearly Obama's rhetoric calling for increased taxes on "millionaires and billionaires" means he doesn't, either.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-soi/histab3.xls
A is A
A is A
post #44 of 57
According to the WSJ, McConnell is offering Obama a way out of the default danger. . .
but with a potentially high cost to incumbent Dems.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...iAI_print.html
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #45 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post

The aggregate taxable income of every US "millionaire and billionaire" equaled $625,399,107,000 in 2009 - the latest year for which IRS data exists.

So, if they took everything all the millionaires and billionaires earned, aside from crashing hundreds of thousands of small businesses, scaring the shit out of the markets (and probably the rest of the people in the country), completely obliterating any remaining respect for people and their property, they would be able to reduce the annual deficit from about $1.6 trillion to $1 trillion.

Good. Let's do it.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #46 of 57
Quote:

Not even a peep was clearly hyperbole. Relatively speaking, raising the debt ceiling under GWB wasn't a huge issue. There was never a real threat that we would ever go into default. Sure, a little political posturing here and there, but that was about it.

It's a whole different ballgame now. The same folks who either didn't or limply objected to raising it under GWB have raging debt boners this time around.

How can you fail to distinguish between $200 billion and $1.5 trillion; 50% of GDP and 100%?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #47 of 57
Quote:

Considerably less than that.

The US Treasury runs an annual budget of approximately $3,800,000,000,000.

Take every penny earned by every "millionaire and billionaire", everything, leaving them exactly nothing, not a penny to themselves (or for the states in which they live for that matter), and you can operate the federal government... for exactly two months.

Clearly Obama's rhetoric calling for increased taxes on "millionaires and billionaires" means he doesn't, either.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-soi/histab3.xls

Factual....and we agree.
post #48 of 57
Quote:

Yes, because raising taxes is the ONLY thing I'm saying we should do. We also need to slash the shit out of defense. There's NO reason to spend more than the rest of the world combined. None.

The idea behind this is that all that military spending comes from fancy planes and spy satellites. In reality, one has to figure out how to: extricate 50,000 soldiers from the Korean border without starting a devastating war, abandon ships and oil tankers to naval pirates and terrorists, and make things like the nuclear arsenal just disappear without problems and leaving the continent safe.

Defense can be trimmed, but Obama's a Democrat and he hasn't been able to stop the F35 debacle. That might have been a good place to start. And if you bring all the soldiers home from bases around the world, what happens to the unemployment rate then? Goodbye Obama in 2012, that's what.

Quote:

Also, remove the profit motivation from healthcare by going full single payer and we drive down costs there, too.

You do realize the "single-payer" in single-payer health care is the government right?

The government's going to pay more, not less. Now, single payer's a decent system and it does cut waste and duplication in the health care system. But that's because it cuts the other "payers" out (i.e. insurance companies). How's government spending going to fall under a single payer program? The nation's health care costs overall may go down, but the government's payments will absolutely go up. When the government has no money, this is a problem.

The only way to "remove the profit motivation" from health care is to absolutely ban private treatment like we do in Canada. In America? Good luck with that.

Quote:

Legalize all drugs and tax them. Drug war ends plus we get tax revenue.

Again, more simplistic nonsense. Only idiots take drugs, so you can expect the rates of auto and personal accidents to skyrocket. Driving while high will require increased policing costs, as will the rates of other crimes from people with addictions. Remember, gambling's legal now and has an impact on personal and property crime. Heroin addicts aren't going to be nice and friendly when short on cash.

When health care costs are factored in, are we making any money from cigarette taxes? When the nicotine addiction treatment costs are factored in, are we any further ahead? When we factor the time and energy we put into legislating where and when people can legally smoke, is it worth the cost?

How many babies are going to be born from drug-using parents and who's going to pay for the expansion of neo-natal care across a nation of 300 million people?

Quote:

You and your BUT BUT BUT SOAK THE RICH WAAAAH argument holds no water.

You may now rethink your entire worldview. And please, do better this time.
post #49 of 57
Quote:

That's funny. Instead of responding to the specific points being made, you find a quote from one person who's rich and supports your worldview.

And you think that somehow makes you right.
The left is hilariously deluded and unfit to govern a hot dog stand.

The right is a bunch of liars that say one thing and mean another thing. No real transparency at all in the GOP Party.
post #50 of 57
1. Your government is spending too much money.
2. So we have to borrow more of it.
3. Which means you're going to pay more.
4. So we can continue to spend more of it.

This only makes sense in Washington.

Quote:
The deficit is now about 10% of gross domestic product. To get it to 3%, a level many economists deem sustainable, by 2015 solely by raising taxes on $250,000-plus households would require more than doubling their top tax rate to 76.8%, according to the Tax Policy Center, a nonpartisan number-crunching think tank. That is political poison, and, in the view of most economists, it would also be economically imprudent, discouraging income-earning work and encouraging tax-sheltering.

here it comes...

Quote:
Neither President Barack Obama nor Republicans say they want to target the middle class. But budget gaps projected for the next decade are so large they can't be reined in without hitting those in the middle. There simply isn't enough income at the top to tax, nor enough spending on people at the bottom to cut.

bend over...

Quote:
"You can't address our fiscal situation without asking the vast bulk of the middle class to make a contribution," says Robert Reischauer, a Democrat and former Congressional Budget Office director. ...

"It's pretty clear that there isn't enough money to just tax the rich," says Douglas Holtz-Eakin, a Republican and also a former CBO director.

"Asking" "Contribution" ? Newspeak for taking it out of your hide, at the point of a gun.

Increase taxes on "Millionaires and Billionaires"... yet doing so will result in an insignificant revenue increase.

Which of these two is saying one thing, while meaning another?

What is wrong with these idiots? Want to reduce the debt as a percent of GDP? Increase GDP! But no, raise taxes on the middle class. Great way to increase GDP.

Morons.

Budget Solution: Squeeze the Middle
A is A
A is A
post #51 of 57
Raise taxes on "millionaires and billionaires" and they simply raise the prices of the products and services their businesses provide.

The middle class and the working poor are the ones who end up paying more.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #52 of 57
Obama doubles-down on arrogance and power-intoxication:

Quote:
“Well that's when [Obama] got very agitated seemingly and said that had sat there long enough and no other president, Ronald Reagan wouldn't sit here like this, and that he's reached the point that something's gotta give,” Cantor said, per NBC’s Frank Thorp. “And he said to me, ‘Eric, don't call my bluff.’ He said, ‘I'm going to the American people with this.’” After that, Cantor says Obama got up and said, “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

So reminiscent of this classic:

"I Won, I'm The President"

One wonders whether Barack Obama thought that being president means being able to do whatever he wants. He certainly acts this way. This is the problem with the "imperial presidency" or "president kingness" that has evolved over decades.

post #53 of 57
I want him to go to the American people with it. Polls show that Obama's position on this matter is not the most popular option. This gets spun away as people "not paying attention."

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #54 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I want him to go to the American people with it. Polls show that Obama's position on this matter is not the most popular option. This gets spun away as people "not paying attention."

The same thing happened when they rammed Obamacare through. They painted the American public as stupid and uninformed. As if all they needed to do was help us understand and we would suddenly support the monstrosity.

post #55 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Obama doubles-down on arrogance and power-intoxication:

So reminiscent of this classic:

"I Won, I'm The President"

One wonders whether Barack Obama thought that being president means being able to do whatever he wants. He certainly acts this way. This is the problem with the "imperial presidency" or "president kingness" that has evolved over decades.

My stepmother recently mentioned something like this. She said "he's used to getting what he wants. And it really pisses him off when things don't go his way."

I agree with your "wondering" above. It's quite odd actually...he seemed unflappable, affable, calm and cool throughout the campaign. Since taking office, he's angry, frustrated, impersonal and approaches everything as an emergency. I realize that many got caught up in Obamania during the election, but wow...could the image really have been THAT false? Is it possible that even people like me that didn't even consider voting for him were fooled? Could it just be that he sucks at handling stress and that his expectations of the job were grossly different than reality? Either way, he doesn't exactly look like he's having a good time.
post #56 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

...could the image really have been THAT false?

That's the problem. Obama's "image" is just that.

Image ≠ substance.

Anyone who read about Obama and his background was not fooled. His actions as President have been 100% consistent with his previous actions.
A is A
A is A
post #57 of 57
Quote:

That's the problem. Obama's "image" is just that.

Image ≠ substance.

Anyone who read about Obama and his background was not fooled. His actions as President have been 100% consistent with his previous actions.

I agree. I'm really just talking about his personality and affect. It's just...weird.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Obama Doubles Down...on being Obama