or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Nielsen: Apple's iPhone growing, Android flat as smartphone sales surge

Nielsen: Apple's iPhone growing, Android flat as smartphone sales surge - Page 2

post #41 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Now, now; this is a family-oriented site.

Since when??

melior diabolus quem scies
post #42 of 93
The price of the 3GS is *not* $49. That is the subsidised price of the 3GS onone plan on one carrier in one country. This is pointed out in every damned thread. In the next thread it is repeated again. It's getting remedial.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #43 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The price of the 3GS is *not* $49. That is the subsidised price of the 3GS onone plan on one carrier in one country. This is pointed out in every damned thread. In the next thread it is repeated again. It's getting remedial.

And this thread is not about the global market, it's about the US market where the 3GS is sold for $49 on contract from only one carrier
post #44 of 93
True, but that is still not it's price.
post #45 of 93
Yeah the price is closer to $549 USD I believe I could be wrong though
post #46 of 93
Plus the iPhone will be coming to Sprint this Autumn, right guys??

...right?
post #47 of 93
Palm should be kicking themselves. They could've done this. Granted not as well as apple, but certainly better than MS, RIM, Moto, etc. What a missed opportunity!

Best
post #48 of 93
Quote:

True, but that is still not it's price.

Nor are Android phones sold to the carrier's for the $200 or $100 or even FREE that they offer them to subscribers. But that doesn't stop the comments that they're being given away by Sammy or Motorola or HTC. The only thing most purchaser's know is what they supposedly paid the carrier to get one, and that's what the price is.
post #49 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

According to Goldman Sachs, Verizon iPhone sales have not been the "bloodbath" you might expect. They're looking for just over 2M sold in the second quarter. With Verizon conservatively expecting 13M iPhones sold this calendar year, they potentially are in for a disappointing report to their shareholders.

For pretty much any quarter you pick in the last couple years before Q2 2011 US operating profit is around the same as EU operating profit. Revenues are much bigger in the US but I'm assuming that's because of the much larger iTunes revenues there on very small margins.

In Q2 2011, which for Apple means the quarter that ended in March, operating income has leapt in the US to be 1.2 billion over Europe. Lets be conservative and say only 1 billion of that sudden jump is the Verizon iPhone. Even assuming a 50% gross margin that would still imply over 2million iPhones sold, in fact I'd guess it was more like 3 million.

(Look at around page 20 on any of Apple's quarterly filings for the table I'm basing this on).
post #50 of 93
deleted
post #51 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Yeah the price is closer to $549 USD I believe I could be wrong though

Amazon is selling them unlocked for $489, and I would expect they're making a profit on the sale, likely their favored 30%. And ATT should be getting a better deal from Apple than Amazon would. I'm guessing closer to $300, perhaps less.

http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-3GS-16-...9474502&sr=8-6
post #52 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Clearly Apple's growth isn't coming at the expense of Android. RIM seems the obvious answer.

RIM is in total frigging meltdown now, check this out at BGR

http://www.bgr.com/2011/06/30/open-l...es-around-him/

For the record by the way I disagree with this paragraph

Let’s obsess about what is best for the end user. We often make product decisions based on strategic alignment, partner requests or even legal advice — the end user doesn’t care. We simply have to admit that Apple is nailing this and it is one of the reasons they have people lining up overnight at stores around the world, and products sold out for months. These people aren’t hypnotized zombies, they simply love beautifully designed products that are user centric and work how they are supposed to work.

I am a hypnotized zombie and proud of it! Now somebody get me some iBrains.

On a more serious note I would say that Apple is affecting Android but only by constraining their growth, there's no evidence yet that Apple and Android pose serious existential threats to each other.
post #53 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Your post is so corny at so many different levels that I don't know where to begin......

Anything in particular you're trying to say?

Something about Asian women?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #54 of 93
Conclusion: iOS and Android are both doing fantastically well, mostly at the expense of feature phones.
post #55 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Conclusion: iOS and Android are both doing fantastically well, mostly at the expense of feature phones.

Also at the expense of RIM/MS/Symbian/WebOS/anybody else
post #56 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeMatt View Post

This statement only makes sense if you change it to read: "Among those who already own a smartphone, ..." Looks like just an editing goof to me.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Meaning that Android has 38% of all smartphones in use, Apple has 27%, Rim has 21% and WinMo has 9%. This is a percentage of all smartphones that are currently in use.
post #57 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmikeo View Post

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Meaning that Android has 38% of all smartphones in use, Apple has 27%, Rim has 21% and WinMo has 9%. This is a percentage of all smartphones that are currently in use.

Yes, and at the time those percentages applied smartphones were 38% of the total handset market, so Apple has around 10% of the total market, so having 17% of current sales is amazingly strong growth.
post #58 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post

So, if I understand correctly, android had 27% of new activations and apple had 17%. It would appear that almost 2x as many people chose android as apple. I would hardly characterize that as apple leading growth. When apple starts recording more activations than android that would be news.

Quote:

I guess it is an example of leading by falling further behind!

Responding to your own troll is pretty lame. Listen, you just joined today but if you are going to be a successful troll on AppleInsider you need to be more subtle. Guys like DaHarder were always posting pictures of their glorious Android devices. Maybe you could start by doing the same. Then at least we could get an idea of where your trolling is coming from. Eventually you'll get banned but, while you're here, try to earn some respect, okay?
post #59 of 93
Microsoft can take pride in the fact that WP7 was beaten by "Other"

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #60 of 93
Quote:

Amazon is selling them unlocked for $489, and I would expect they're making a profit on the sale, likely their favored 30%. And ATT should be getting a better deal from Apple than Amazon would. I'm guessing closer to $300, perhaps less.

Except the model that is on Amazon is a 16G 3Gs and is sold by a third party, not by Amazon themselves. There are no reviews on it, so I am not sure if it is actually selling. Also, it is hard to tell if this is a jailbroken model or not, as it is referred to as "Unlocked" The model that AT&T currently sells, subsidized for $49 is an 8G model. AT&T doesn't show the non-contract price on the website, so it's hard to tell what the retail price is.
post #61 of 93
Quote:

Except the model that is on Amazon is a 16G 3Gs and is sold by a third party, not by Amazon themselves. There are no reviews on it, so I am not sure if it is actually selling. Also, it is hard to tell if this is a jailbroken model or not, as it is referred to as "Unlocked" The model that AT&T currently sells, subsidized for $49 is an 8G model. AT&T doesn't show the non-contract price on the website, so it's hard to tell what the retail price is.

It could conceivably be an unlocked model that has been parallel imported from somewhere like the UK.
post #62 of 93
Quote:

Quote:

I think $489 is probably closer to todays price than $549 since thats the price the 3GS was new when it launched. Apple could sell the phone for far cheaper than that now.
post #63 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

You fail to understand the concept of growth rates. Android has remained steady at about 27% of activations, while Apple has GROWN in percentage. That 17% was only 10% last quarter. Next quarter if may be 25%, the quarter after that, who knows. Or, maybe it could go down. But the point is, Apple's share of new activations is GROWING, while Android's share (while larger) appears to have leveled off.

This is all to be expected, anyway. Look at the iPhone on carriers where they compete with Android (primarily internationally until the Verizon iPhone). iPhone wins in a landslide over Android. The ONLY reason for Android's phenomenal growth has been a lack of iPhone on Verizon. Lo and behold! Now that Android really has to compete against the big dog, their growth plateaus. Wait until all the Droids sold prior to Feb 2011 come up for renewal - then we'll really see a bloodbath in Android's numbers. They only bought the Droid in the first place because the iPhone was unavailable.

Yeah, I don't understand. Look, the fact is that the end result was apple had lower percentage of new activation than existing market share. That in NO way indicates "leading in growth".

If you want to claim, "Apple rebounds, loses less market share than before", then OK. But you can't "lead growth" by getting a little over 1/2 the activations of the market leader.
post #64 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Responding to your own troll is pretty lame. Listen, you just joined today but if you are going to be a successful troll on AppleInsider you need to be more subtle. Guys like DaHarder were always posting pictures of their glorious Android devices. Maybe you could start by doing the same. Then at least we could get an idea of where your trolling is coming from. Eventually you'll get banned but, while you're here, try to earn some respect, okay?

This kid has to be really embarrassed to troll in public this badly. Oh, well - live and learn.
post #65 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Well, I was just blown away by the claim that "apple leads growth" based on 17% of new activations vs. 27% for android. Seems pretty delusional.

I felt it needed calling out. Call it trolling, or whatever. I probably won't ever be back here so I don't care. If they don't want trolls they shouldn't post troll bait.

Yeah, I have an Android. Samsung Infuse. Blows away my wife's and my daughter's iPhones, absolutely no contest. So what? The point is that you don't "lead" by being outsold, or by selling lower percentage than your existing market share.
post #66 of 93
well, I'm pretty sure that if you are dense enough to reply to yourself, and chuckle at your own obtuseness, you are too dense to understand the concept of relative rates of growth, so clearly explained to you.
take a nap, maybe it will make sense to you if you actually wake up...alternatively, you could troll a different thread.

Quote:

Yeah, I don't understand. Look, the fact is that the end result was apple had lower percentage of new activation than existing market share. That in NO way indicates "leading in growth".

If you want to claim, "Apple rebounds, loses less market share than before", then OK. But you can't "lead growth" by getting a little over 1/2 the activations of the market leader.
post #67 of 93
Quote:

Well, I was just blown away by the claim that "apple leads growth" based on 17% of new activations vs. 27% for android. Seems pretty delusional.

So lets get this right - you must also think that Nokia is still king because they are still the biggest maker of handsets globally. Right? Because the last sales figures I saw Nokia sold more handsets than the entire smartphone segment.

Seems pretty delusional.
post #68 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoJimu View Post

What does this mean? Is it saying that iPhone owners are choosing Android for 38% of their new purchases and only 27% are buying an iPhone for their next phone? I find this hard to believe.

That is a very telling statistic. I guarantee that my wife and daughter will be buying android next time out, now that they have seen my android.

Hey, it is true the iphone revolutionized the cell phone, but that was then. Now, it isn't competitive and the closed system turns people off.
post #69 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

This kid has to be really embarrassed to troll in public this badly. Oh, well - live and learn.

I'm not sure he's trolling - trolling is when you pretend to be an idiot, it's not trolling if you're not pretending
post #70 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

So lets get this right - you must also think that Nokia is still king because they are still the biggest maker of handsets globally. Right? Because the last sales figures I saw Nokia sold more handsets than the entire smartphone segment.

Seems pretty delusional.

Did Nokia activate more smart phones than anyone else during the quarter? Uh, lets see ... no, that would be Android. So what are you talking about?
post #71 of 93
Quote:

Did Nokia activate more smart phones than anyone else during the quarter? Uh, lets see ... no, that would be Android. So what are you talking about?

Nokia's Symbian OS was activated on more phones than all the vendors on all the carriers in the world using Android.

PS: See how I compared OSes to each other. You should try it, you might like it.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #72 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

well, I'm pretty sure that if you are dense enough to reply to yourself, and chuckle at your own obtuseness, you are too dense to understand the concept of relative rates of growth, so clearly explained to you.
take a nap, maybe it will make sense to you if you actually wake up...alternatively, you could troll a different thread.

Yeah, well, you need to wake up. Yeah, I understand, Apple lost less market share this quarter than last. But they still lost market share. How is that leading growth? Of course, it will all be moot in another year when apple's market share continues to decline to the point that even fan boys can't explain it away. Then, it will be the same old apple "exclusivity" arguments like it is with their PCs.
post #73 of 93
Quote:

Why emphasize smartphones over regular phones? Because the smartphone segment is growing. See growth in share matters, and Apple's share is growing terribly fast.

Quote:
That is a very telling statistic.

You realize that the comment that you consider a telling statistic is where the guy mixes up the two completely different sets of statistics in the report right? So the telling statistic you think you read is a complete misunderstanding and nothing more.

That's a very telling fact. Yep you're definitely not trolling, this is genuine cluelessness.
post #74 of 93
My company recently sent me a Sprint WM6 phone...still unopened.

It's just too damn painful to go from an iPhone to WM6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUOp View Post

9% for WM? Who are still buying WM? Which 2010/2011 phone has WM? HD2? 2009?
Is this survey just BS?
post #75 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUOp View Post

9% for WM? Who are still buying WM? Which 2010/2011 phone has WM? HD2? 2009?
Is this survey just BS?

That 9% is for phones currently in use, not just phones sold. Lots of people bought those phones last year and they're still on contract.

Top graphic is current population, bottom graphic is current sales.
post #76 of 93
Quote:

That is a very telling statistic. I guarantee that my wife and daughter will be buying android next time out, now that they have seen my android.

Hey, it is true the iphone revolutionized the cell phone, but that was then. Now, it isn't competitive and the closed system turns people off.

Yeah, I'm sure they will. Low IQs generally run through entire households.
post #77 of 93
Quote:

Did you just reply to yourself?

( and no - Apple is catching up).

They will catch up more if AT&T buys T-Mobile. I'm thinking US regulators will be stupid and let it happen due to AT&T's massive lobbying effort.

(The iPhone could save Sprint if they can get it soon enough. I honestly don't know why they don't have it yet now that a CDMA iPhone is available. Sprint should be begging Apple for it night and day offering a portion of subscription fees like AT&T used to pay*. They could finally have it and say "hey we're the only one with a full unlimited data plan - the cheapest price for an iPhone")

*hopefully my info is right here
post #78 of 93
17% is not bad for a pair of designs that are 1 and 2 years old, respectively, and only available from two carriers. This against wave after wave of android phones in all shapes, sizes, and prices and carriers.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #79 of 93
Poor Rubin. He tried to dictate the news then a day later comes this survey. Talking about bad timing.

Oh, and I noticed all the Android apologists here, as usual, failed to mention one little but relevant fact: iPhone now is at least a year old phone.
post #80 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

They will catch up more if AT&T buys T-Mobile. I'm thinking US regulators will be stupid and let it happen due to AT&T's massive lobbying effort.

(The iPhone could save Sprint if they can get it soon enough. I honestly don't know why they don't have it yet now that a CDMA iPhone is available. Sprint should be begging Apple for it night and day offering a portion of subscription fees like AT&T used to pay*. They could finally have it and say "hey we're the only one with a full unlimited data plan - the cheapest price for an iPhone")

*hopefully my info is right here

iPhone 5 will hopefully be available for all of the US carrier including Sprint and T-Mobile (until AT&T gobbles them up).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

17% is not bad for a pair of designs that are 1 and 2 years old, respectively, and only available from two carriers. This against wave after wave of android phones in all shapes, sizes, and prices and carriers.

And I'll again reiterate that the iPhone for the most part is only available for the high end of the market at $199. To capture 17% of the sales is amazing. An expanded range of iPhones covering all price points and reaching the US pre-paid market would take Apple head to head with Android here.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Nielsen: Apple's iPhone growing, Android flat as smartphone sales surge