or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple seeds Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Golden Master to developers

Apple seeds Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Golden Master to developers - Page 4

post #121 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You jest, right?

The power, flexibility and ease of use of Lion is astounding. It takes only seconds to get used to the new multi touch gestures. There is far more to it than a few tiles.

Lets hold off judgment on windows 8 until it is out in the hands of the public or at least non MS folks in pre release form, this is coming this fall. We can comment on Lion now cause tis been wide enough out there that non apple people are talking about it publicly
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #122 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Apple better get that data center online before they release Lion. The download speed is is really slow for the GM seed. I have a 5 Mbps connection but I'm only getting around 1 from Apple. It has taken literally all day and still not done with a 3.74 GB download. This will really be a an issue for many people which is clearly why they are waiting to release any new hardware updates until they can ship it with Lion installed. A new switcher would be very upset if they had to go through what is now a multi-hour download just to get the latest OS. We Apple veterans tend to be a little more forgiving.

Hey there Apple Veteran, better check yr data trunk. Only took me the usual 20 minutes or so to DL the latest OS
post #123 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitheringwaters View Post

Hey there Apple Veteran, better check yr data trunk. Only took me the usual 20 minutes or so to DL the latest OS

Not sure what a trunk is. But I'm getting fast speeds from all other major providers. It may be a TWC thing with Apple but for example to download the the java for 10.7 I was only getting 40k and it timed out twice, but I can send and receive to from Japan to California normal files at at full speed.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #124 of 150
This is definitely on your end. I download from apple quite a bit, actually am downloading newest Xcode beta from them right now at 3.4MB/sec.

If you're on Comcast I'd look into automatic throttles based on places you may have downloaded from a bit.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:

post #125 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

This is definitely on your end. I download from apple quite a bit, actually am downloading newest Xcode beta from them right now at 3.4MB/sec.

If you're on Comcast I'd look into automatic throttles based on places you may have downloaded from a bit.

Throttling is really the only explanation I suppose since it makes sense that Time Warner would view downloads from Apple as competition to their video business even though this wasn't video. I can totally see them doing something like that though.

post #126 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoogH View Post

If we are a developer and we install the GM, will we have to worry about Lion on release? Or do we already have the release version?

It will probably be the same as the release version - that's the point of naming it GM.

As far as I remember, only the first Intel version of Mac OS X had a GM2.

Since Apple can release delta updates, it will be easier to release a small 10.7.1 update than making new images for the Macs on the assembly line.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #127 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefingers View Post

If I'm not mistaken, you'll have to pay $29 like the rest of us.

You're mistaken.
JLL

JLL

post #128 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

With regards to the "British humor" posts ... I watched the movie "Paul" last night.
Oh my god that was funny ... while not a British production, it had a lot of the same type of subtle humor (as well as numerous references to other Sci-Fi films.)
The Christian fundies over here would probably be offended by it though.

Is there anything they're not offended by? I mean other than Mel Gibson. Against whom any offense would actually be well deserved.
post #129 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Throttling is really the only explanation I suppose since it makes sense that Time Warner would view downloads from Apple as competition to their video business even though this wasn't video. I can totally see them doing something like that though.

Do you use open DNS or any other public DNS? That could be your problem.
post #130 of 150
Now where did that self-described high-IQ guy go? I was so looking forward to more verbal sparring but it appears that the kitchen just got a little too hot for his tender hide.
post #131 of 150
^--- Yah I saw that coming as soon as he posted.

Quote:

Quote:

post #132 of 150
<duplicate post>
post #133 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Now where did that self-described high-IQ guy go? I was so looking forward to more verbal sparring but it appears that the kitchen just got a little too hot for his tender hide.

I am astounded at the awful sense of humor people in this thread have. The guy made a joke; you all ruined it.
post #134 of 150
I guess the rumors of a Lion release today have turned out to be false.
rmusikantow
rmusikantow
post #135 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmusikantow View Post

I guess the rumors of a Lion release today have turned out to be false.

What rumors of a Lion release today? All I've ever heard is the 14th.
post #136 of 150
anybody find that Lion has slowed down startup a little bit, even when it's told not to remember the current softwares open?
post #137 of 150
Does 10.7 Lion boot by default with a 32-bit or a 64-bit kernel?
Mac user since August 1983.
post #138 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Does 10.7 Lion boot by default with a 32-bit or a 64-bit kernel?

64 bit. 32-bit isn't even supported under Lion.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #139 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

64 bit. 32-bit isn't even supported under Lion.

If Lion is 64-bit kernel only, and Apple says that Core 2 Duo and later Intel CPUs can support Lion, then some of the Core 2 Duo machines that could only run a 32-bit kernel in Snow Leopard are now enabled to run a 64-bit kernel when Lion is installed. Otherwise, Apple failed to qualify their public information correctly regarding Lion specs.

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

post #140 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertP View Post

If Lion is 64-bit kernel only, and Apple says that Core 2 Duo and later Intel CPUs can support Lion, then some of the Core 2 Duo machines that could only run a 32-bit kernel in Snow Leopard are now enabled to run a 64-bit kernel when Lion is installed. Otherwise, Apple failed to qualify their public information correctly regarding Lion specs.

I see what you're getting at. I wonder if they did enable 64-bit for those C2D machines with a 32-bit bus. Anyone with a Santa Rosa (I think) machine running Lion that can shed some light?
post #141 of 150
Quote:

I see what you're getting at. I wonder if they did enable 64-but for those C2D machines with a 32-but bus. Anyone with a Santa Rosa (I think) machine running Lion that can shed some light?

Santa Rosa and Merom, please. Thanks

post #142 of 150
10.7 Lion is officially supported on Core 2 Duo Macs with 32-bit EFI, which cannot boot a 64-bit kernel. I expect 10.8 to include only a 64-bit kernel and not run on machines with 32-bit EFI.

I would not be surprised if 10.7 Lion boots the 64-bit kernel by default on Macs with 64-bit EFI, but I would be surprised if it's impossible to boot a 32-bit kernel on these machines.
post #143 of 150
Quote:

10.7 Lion is officially supported on Core 2 Duo Macs with 32-bit EFI, which cannot boot a 64-bit kernel. I expect 10.8 to include only a 64-bit kernel and not run on machines with 32-bit EFI.

I would not be surprised if 10.7 Lion boots the 64-bit kernel by default on Macs with 64-bit EFI, but I would be surprised if it's impossible to boot a 32-bit kernel on these machines.

Well, as I understand it, an iMac 7,1 does have a 64-bit EFI because I ran a Terminal command (which I can't remember off-hand) that confirmed it. Nevertheless, that machine with the Merom CPU can only run a 32-bit kernel with Snow Leopard. As has been pointed out, Santa Rosa was on a 32-bit bus.

I will know for sure when I try to install Lionsay tuned for the answer to this mystery!

post #144 of 150
Quote:

Well, as I understand it, an iMac 7,1 does have a 64-bit EFI because I ran a Terminal command (which I can't remember off-hand) that confirmed it. Nevertheless, that machine with the Merom CPU can only run a 32-bit kernel with Snow Leopard. As has been pointed out, Santa Rosa was on a 32-bit bus.

I will know for sure when I try to install Lion…say tuned for the answer to this mystery!

Before and after screen shots would be awesome. In fact, you can do an easy screenshot of what Startup Mode Selector displays.

http://www.ahatfullofsky.comuv.com/E...s/SMS/SMS.html
post #145 of 150
Quote:

Before and after screen shots would be awesome. In fact, you can do an easy screenshot of what Startup Mode Selector displays.

http://www.ahatfullofsky.comuv.com/E...s/SMS/SMS.html

I took a snapshot of your suggested tool via Preview, but seem unable to import it into an AI forum.

The png snapshot shows:

Your current configuration (iMac 7,1)
64 bit processor
64 bit EFI
32 bit kernel boot mode
32 bit kernel

(deleted URL to boot loaders)

A mid 2007 24" iMac 7,1 has a 'Merom' C2D CPU.

I will post results after I try to install Lion.

post #146 of 150
Quote:

I will know for sure when I try to install Lionsay tuned for the answer to this mystery!

To clarify, I did not mean that 64-bit EFI is sufficient to boot a 64-bit kernel. I meant that 64-bit EFI is necessary to boot a 64-bit kernel.
post #147 of 150
Quote:

To clarify, I did not mean that 64-bit EFI is sufficient to boot a 64-bit kernel. I meant that 64-bit EFI is necessary to boot a 64-bit kernel.

Understood.

post #148 of 150
Quote:

I took a snapshot of your suggested tool via Preview, but seem unable to import it into an AI forum.

The png snapshot shows:

Your current configuration (iMac 7,1)
64 bit processor
64 bit EFI
32 bit kernel boot mode
32 bit kernel

(deleted URL to boot loaders)

A mid 2007 24" iMac 7,1 has a 'Merom' C2D CPU.

I will post results after I try to install Lion.

Here are the results:

System VersiontMac OS X 10.7 (11A511)
Kernel VersiontDarwin 11.0.0
Boot VolumetMacintosh HD
Boot ModetNormal
Computer NametBert Pxxxxxxxx’s iMac
User NametGeneral (genc)
Secure Virtual MemorytEnabled
64-bit Kernel and ExtensionstNo
Time since boott31 minutes

So, mcarling…you have it right. Those C2D machines that could only run a 32-bit kernel in SL retain that configuration in Lion.

post #149 of 150
Just letting everyone know that the official launch version IS this GM (11A511). They have been verified.

Quote:
GM Build: 11A511
GM InstallESD.dmg MD5: b5d3753c62bfb69866e94dca9336a44a

App Store Build: 11A511
App Store InstallESD.dmg MD5: b5d3753c62bfb69866e94dca9336a44a

Quote:

Quote:

post #150 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Just letting everyone know that the official launch version IS this GM (11A511). They have been verified.

Cheers
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple seeds Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Golden Master to developers