or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Orthodox Jews

Orthodox Jews

post #1 of 114
What is your opinion about the Orthodox Jew in today's society?
post #2 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

They are people with beliefs that are to be respected like anyone else. These one liner questions you post as topics are a bit vague. Is there some kind of conversation you are trying to have or are you just baiting?
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #3 of 114
Respect should be earned, not automatically granted for believing in some version of a fairy tale.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #4 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Respect should be earned, not automatically granted for believing in some version of a fairy tale.

I think he's saying that the people should be respected, generically, in the sense that they are people and are entitled to their beliefs whether you agree with them or not and their right to have their own beliefs should be respected whether you agree with them or not.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #5 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

They are people with beliefs that are to be respected like anyone else. These one liner questions you post as topics are a bit vague. Is there some kind of conversation you are trying to have or are you just baiting?

Would you include "orthodox, or fundamentalist Muslims" as "people with beliefs that are to be respected", alongside your respect for "orthodox or fundamentalist Jews, or Christians"? How about atheists, who are also people of faith, who *believe*, as opposed to *know*, that there is no 'god'?
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #6 of 114
While we wait for some additional clarifying information from the opening poster, I think the general principle is that people are to be respected even if you disagree with what they believe, think or say.

But, that's pretty generic. I have no idea what the opening poster is looking for exactly.

post #7 of 114
Quote:

My opinion is that they are jewish and orthodox and a part of today's society.

What's your point?
post #8 of 114
I think the OP is quite right to point a finger at the jew.

Look at muslims. In France there's a powerful movement to force them to wear different clothes. Indeed they must wear different clothes by law there now. I think the orthodox jews look is wrong, especially those hats and caps. They're really awful, and especially with the pony tails that come around the sides by the ears. It just looks wrong for this day and age. Maybe back in the 50's it had something going for it, but not anymore. If they didn't all do it, I guess I could live with it, but they all do and they're not showing any sign of changing (literally) their habits anytime soon.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #9 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I think the OP is quite right to point a finger at the jew.

Look at muslims. In France there's a powerful movement to force them to wear different clothes. Indeed they must wear different clothes by law there now. I think the orthodox jews look is wrong, especially those hats and caps. They're really awful, and especially with the pony tails that come around the sides by the ears. It just looks wrong for this day and age. Maybe back in the 50's it had something going for it, but not anymore. If they didn't all do it, I guess I could live with it, but they all do and they're not showing any sign of changing (literally) their habits anytime soon.

Bigoted post of the day.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #10 of 114
Quote:

Bigoted post of the day.

Of course it was. It was meant to be. It was sarcasm. Used subtly, it's mostly a British thing. You should read up on it some time.
post #11 of 114
One can forgive Noah missing the sarcasm. This thread has had problems from the start.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #12 of 114
Quote:

Bigoted post of the day.

Wow, look who's playing the race card NoahJ. Besides, Williams wife Kollege Kate looks like a blooming college kid with barely two cents to rub together usually. Her hair too, there's no style, just bland let it all grow long and push it out of the way. She may as well just carry around a ruck sack and a stack of jotters to finish the whole the look off.
post #13 of 114
Quote:

Bigoted post of the day.

Sorry, double post.
post #14 of 114
Quote:

Strangely, all the Jewish people I've met seem to have the more sensible attitudes to sexuality compared to Catholics, Christians and Muslims.

I don't know how Orthodox they were though, to be honest.

But in the US from what I can tell most Jews are fairly okay with pre-marital sex and cohabitation, right?
post #15 of 114
Quote:

I am not baiting anyone at all. I like to read and know other people's opinions about certain subjects.
post #16 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Strangely, all the Jewish people I've met seem to have the more sensible attitudes to sexuality compared to Catholics, Christians and Muslims.

I don't know how Orthodox they were though, to be honest.

But in the US from what I can tell most Jews are fairly okay with pre-marital sex and cohabitation, right?

The Orthodox Jews fuck like rabbits and have a lot of children to boot.They do not believe in pre-marital sex at all.
post #17 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

My opinion is that they are jewish and orthodox and a part of today's society.

What's your point?

You are wrong! They are really not part of today's society at all. They shun their own kind.They are in a different class completely as I was engaged to one years ago.
post #18 of 114
Quote:

You are wrong! They are really not part of today's society at all. They shun their own kind.They are in a different class completely as I was engaged to one years ago.

Okay you win the internet for today. Congratulations on the demise of your nuptials.
post #19 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Wow, look who's playing the race card NoahJ. Besides, Williams wife Kollege Kate looks like a blooming college kid with barely two cents to rub together usually. Her hair too, there's no style, just bland let it all grow long and push it out of the way. She may as well just carry around a ruck sack and a stack of jotters to finish the whole the look off.

Race card? The post was bigoted, pure and simple. If it was intended to be sarcasm it was not clearly so to me. Your posts are almost always so freaking over the top it is nearly impossible to know when you are serious and when you are not.

Where would these fall? Hmm?
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #20 of 114
Quote:

The Orthodox Jews fuck like rabbits and have a lot of children to boot.They do not believe in pre-marital sex at all.

As do Catholics. And many other religions too. Your point?
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #21 of 114
I think that all societies that are hard on women (for example Japan, and orthodox Judaism) will be self limiting, as they will lose too many women.

Japan is experiencing this very dramatically, tons of women are leaving to marry men in other countries that are willing to help with house chores. The role of women in orthodox Jewish households is even more burdensome than in Japan, at least that is my understanding - they have to bring in all the family income and do all the housework as well.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/1206/p01s04-woap.html
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #22 of 114
Quote:

As do Catholics. And many other religions too. Your point?

Hilarious you didn't mention Mormons specifically.
post #23 of 114
I think you're projecting Tonton. Catholics are the logical example, because of their population size and ban on birth control.
post #24 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I think you're projecting Tonton. Catholics are the logical example, because of their population size and ban on birth control.

Do you know what "projecting" means? Apparently not what you think it does.

And Mormonism is among those religions that are well known for actively pushing for huge families, and you know it.
post #25 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Do you know what "projecting" means? Apparently not what you think it does.

And Mormonism is among those religions that are well known for actively pushing for huge families, and you know it.

Can you please clarify what you mean by "actively pushing"?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #26 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Can you please clarify what you mean by "actively pushing"?

Natural child birth of course.
post #27 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Hilarious you didn't mention Mormons specifically.

Why is that hilarious? That counts as an other religion. Catholicism is a much larger entity and was a perfect example of what is being stated. What was so funny about not actively stating Mormonism?
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #28 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Natural child birth of course.

Don't forget breathing!!!
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #29 of 114
Tonton is confusing having multiple children with having multiple marriages.

With liberals, process always counts more than results.
post #30 of 114
Quote:

Tonton is confusing having multiple children with having multiple marriages.

With liberals, process always counts more than results.

I know that was tongue-in-cheek, but I just wanted to say that any member who is found to be practicing polygamy is excommunicated from the church.

There are various off-shoot groups who practice polygamy and claim to also be "Mormons", but are in no way affiliated with or supported by the church.

Just thought I'd clarify.

post #31 of 114
Yeah, mormons took the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" approach to oppression. Instead of being persecuted over polygamy, they ditched it to join forces with the rest of the religious nutbags to hate on the gays. The mormon stance on gay marriage is especially disgusting given how recently their own marriage choices were discriminated against. Batshit crazy hypocrites that breed like rabbits. Ugh.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #32 of 114
Quote:

Yeah, mormons took the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" approach to oppression. Instead of being persecuted over polygamy, they ditched it to join forces with the rest of the religious nutbags to hate on the gays. The mormon stance on gay marriage is especially disgusting given how recently their own marriage choices were discriminated against. Batshit crazy hypocrites that breed like rabbits. Ugh.

That didn't take long to derail. \
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #33 of 114
Quote:

That didn't take long to derail. \

BR never lets an opportunity to attack religion (particularly mine) and the religious (particularly me) go to waste. \

post #34 of 114
I think I will vote Republican as a protest against BR and sammi jo's horrible colored sigs.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #35 of 114
No they're beautiful.

Years ago, you could actually have a conversation with some on the liberal side. But they started getting angrier over time, when nobody embraced their nonsense ideas. Foul language became the norm, sarcasm it's ever present companion.

Today, they are reduced to trolling with neon signatures. It's beautiful to watch.

[Note: The above doesn't really include Sammi, whose POV has been remarkably consistent over the years, and who doesn't do the baiting thing.]
post #36 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

I think I will vote Republican as a protest against BR and sammi jo's horrible colored sigs.

Hah, go ahead. That's as good a reason to vote Republican as any. I mean, if you are going to vote against your own interests, better it be out of spite than ignorance.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #37 of 114
Quote:

Hah, go ahead. That's as good a reason to vote Republican as any. I mean, if you are going to vote against your own interests, better it be out of spite than ignorance.

I suggest he work even harder against all his own interests. Perhaps he could swear at people so profanely, consider them with such contempt and treat them so badly that he undermines his own interests and has others work against them as well.

That is what you've done.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #38 of 114
Quote:

Well, financially my interests are with whoever lowers taxes the most short term - I don't see how the country will survive long term no matter who gets elected.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #39 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I suggest he work even harder against all his own interests. Perhaps he could swear at people so profanely, consider them with such contempt and treat them so badly that he undermines his own interests and has others work against them as well.

That is what you've done.

So you'd be a liberal if I were nicer. Yeah fucking right.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #40 of 114
Quote:

Years ago, you could actually have a conversation with some on the liberal side. But they started getting angrier over time, when nobody embraced their nonsense ideas. Foul language became the norm, sarcasm it's ever present companion.
]

Oh me, oh my.

Anyone who's ever assumed that MJ '' 1970 or Jazz 'This Is My Blog' Guru or Trump 'Deliberate Obfuscation and Passive Aggression' Man are sincere in their desire to exchange posts in a fair argument... that person learns pretty damn fast that you might as well just do just what they do—and play to the gallery. Because they don't give a fuck what you think.

As for bad language? This is the internet. There is no ban on bad language here.

AYN RAND.

See?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Orthodox Jews