or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple rumored to be looking into new charging method for 6th-gen iPhone

Apple rumored to be looking into new charging method for 6th-gen iPhone - Page 2

post #41 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secruoser View Post

Even though the 6th gen phone's technology is available now, it's deliberately excluded from the 5th gen because 5th gen with a little upgrade means another round of profit in this consumerist system.

No, I really doubt Apple is making a phone that isn't as good as it could be, on the off chance that they run out of good ideas for the next version. It just doesn't make sense. Was the original iPhone only a little bit better than other phones when it came out? Do you think Apple wants to sit around and watch Android phones gain market share? No, I think Apple wants to create the best device they can, every time (weighing constraints such as component and manufacturing costs, etc.)

Apple has enough of a track record of innovation that they are unlikely to think that this is the last year that they can do it.

Also, why do so many people in this forum take these condescending "you wouldn't understand but I do" positions? It's pretty offensive, and usually misguided. There are actually quite a few knowledgeable and bright people who participate regularly here, and it makes sense to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Without seeing the insides of iPhone 5, can anyone really know why it's hard to assemble?
post #42 of 53
deleted
post #43 of 53
The 13th-gen iPhone will be an earpiece that envelops your ear and sends electrical signals directly to your brain, overriding your visual cortex when you want to watch a movie. Interface actions are undertaken by thinking. The thing is powered by the bloodflow of your body.

And Android devices of the same period will still reside in your pocket.

There. I've surpassed all this completely pointless, disgustingly unnecessary speculation about future iPhones. Can we get back to not talking about 6th-gen devices before their 5th-gen iterations are released?

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #44 of 53
deleted
post #45 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

Without seeing the insides of iPhone 5, can anyone really know why it's hard to assemble?

If this analyst has any real information and the next gen iPhone 5 is in fact hard to assemble, I would assume more is at play than a camera and A5. I would assume we may see the oft rumored edge to edge screen which I would imagine would very hard to assemble? Not sure though!
post #46 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The 13th-gen iPhone will be an earpiece that envelops your ear and sends electrical signals directly to your brain, overriding your visual cortex when you want to watch a movie. Interface actions are undertaken by thinking. The thing is powered by the bloodflow of your body.

And Android devices of the same period will still reside in your pocket.

There. I've surpassed all this completely pointless, disgustingly unnecessary speculation about future iPhones. Can we get back to not talking about 6th-gen devices before their 5th-gen iterations are released?

Its pathetic we're already talking about the 6th gen iPhone that analyst claim to have "all figured out." To them it's pretty much confirmed that the iPhone 5 will have an A5 and camera upgrade but same for factor as 4, then 6 will get LTE and new form factor.
post #47 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

would love to see a magnetic induction charging system on the iphone like the touchstone on the palm pre:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1V7K...eature=related

I hope not.

Induction charging saves users the tenth of a second that it takes to put your phone into a dock.

Meanwhile, it is very inefficient and wastes energy. Not a lot of energy per phone but when you multiply that by 50 million phones, it's important.

I keep hoping that someday people will learn to stop wasting energy on stupid things. It guess it's not enough that we have a $200 BILLION trade deficit on energy and hundreds of soldiers dying per year because the Middle East is strategic. We also need to find ways to waste more energy.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #48 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakevin. View Post

I don't understand why a fifth-generation phone could be difficult to assemble if it were just a tad thinner, lighter and faster with a better camera! Really hoping that iPhone 5 fulfills these iPhone 6 rumors rather than having to wait until next year.

If it was a hardware delay like analysts claim, then surely this would warrant it!

I seriously doubt that it is a hardware delay.

It is more likely to be an OS delay, as iOS 5 won't be released till this fall (when the next iPhone will likely be released).

I assume it is a spec-bump upgrade, with the main focus being on the new OS, which would mean it would be dumb to release a new iPhone before iOS 5 is ready.

They will launch at the same time.
post #49 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secruoser View Post

I apologize if you misunderstood what I mean, but I wasn't attacking your education, but the education system of the world in general, which isn't States exclusive.

What I mean is, deliberate inefficiency is 'essential' in our monetary economic system because there's profit in it. You can ask any high-level engineers in the biggest corporations, but don't expect they'll be telling. Even though the 6th gen phone's technology is available now, it's deliberately excluded from the 5th gen because 5th gen with a little upgrade means another round of profit in this consumerist system. Everyone's gotta have the latest phone, if you know what I mean.

Don't want to be long-winded here, but yeah, monetary system clashes with common sense, that's why many find it hard to understand, but most are still in the box.

I think your comments are ridiculous. The reason why a 5th generation device doesn't have 6th generation technology is because software (and related hardware) is never finished - you just take it away from the developers. So the advancements that don't make one device version go into the next version. There's no conspiracy.

Furthermore, your assumption is based upon the premise that a purchaser of a 5th generation device must purchase the 6th generation device, but no one has to do that. I'm still perfectly happy using my iPhone 3G, although I suspect I will purchase the next one. If a purchaser of a 5th g device buys the 6th g device, that's not planned obsolescence or purposeful inefficiency, that's fashion.

Planned obsolescence has to do with products engineered purposely with limited lifespan, like American automobiles of the 1950s-1970s. Do you think Apple products are engineered to break? Because I used my Mac Tower for seven years and I've been using my MacBook Pro for almost three years. And I'm still using a Sony CRT TV that's something like 25 years old. Sony has advanced the technology every single year since, but that didn't make my set obsolete because it still works.

And in the cases of devices that do fail after a short time (and many of today's electronics do), I would maintain that it's not planned obsolescence, but simply poorly designed or manufactured products, which exist because we expect our electronics to be absurdly inexpensive. The fact that one can buy a Blu-ray player that also has web access/WiFi built in for $130 or a CD=R/DVD-R drive for $26 or even an umbrella for $1.30 is simply astonishing, especially considering that the "manufacturer", the actual manufacturing facility, the distributor and the retailer all make some profit along the way. In 1985, a single-speed CD-ROM (read-only) drive cost $1000. At Blu-ray's introduction, most players cost $2000.

An argument that would make sense is that the success of capitalism is dependent upon consumerism, which is at complete odds with protecting the environment and the protection of natural resources. In addition, one can argue about the morality and ethics of public companies in terms of their mandate to serve only the interests of shareholders to the exclusion of employees and consumers of the products/services. And if you want to maintain that THIS is not taught in the schools (whether public or private), I would agree with you.

Where I would disagree is the reasons it's not taught: you probably think it's some government conspiracy to only educate people to benefit the interests of corporations. That's ridiculous - the public schools fail corporations every day by not educating people with the skills needed to join the workforce (outside of fast food restaurants). It's not taught because grade schools have decided that the only thing that matters is reading and math skills and everyone (at least in the U.S.) is trying to kill money for education.

And by the way....I'm a product of the public school system.
post #50 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I heard it will be powered by the dashed hopes and dreams of android fanboys.

Too far?

Ask RIM, Nokia, and Palm.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #51 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I hope not.

Induction charging saves users the tenth of a second that it takes to put your phone into a dock.

Meanwhile, it is very inefficient and wastes energy. Not a lot of energy per phone but when you multiply that by 50 million phones, it's important.

I keep hoping that someday people will learn to stop wasting energy on stupid things. It guess it's not enough that we have a $200 BILLION trade deficit on energy and hundreds of soldiers dying per year because the Middle East is strategic. We also need to find ways to waste more energy.

I agree with you. There was an article in the NYTimes this week about set-top cable boxes. Apparently, they consume tons of energy even when they're shut off in order to retain channel and programming information. The manufacturers claim no one ever asked them to make more energy efficient boxes.

Most people don't have their flat-screen TVs professionally calibrated and they leave them in store-demo "blast" mode, with the brightness and contrast turned way up. This also uses far more energy. Although some sets now have presence sensors so that if you walk out of the room, they will shut down.

Furthermore, my understanding is that if we increased fuel efficiency by just 15%, we could eliminate practically all oil imported from the mid-east. But we macho Americans have to have our big cars and we don't want the 0-60 acceleration negatively impacted, even if we're sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic after we accelerate onto the on-ramp. We'd rather fight wars that not only take the lives of our citizens, but cost us $1.2 million per month, per soldier. Then we think we have a budget deficit because someone is getting $50 in food stamps.
post #52 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I agree with you. There was an article in the NYTimes this week about set-top cable boxes. Apparently, they consume tons of energy even when they're shut off in order to retain channel and programming information. The manufacturers claim no one ever asked them to make more energy efficient boxes.

Most people don't have their flat-screen TVs professionally calibrated and they leave them in store-demo "blast" mode, with the brightness and contrast turned way up. This also uses far more energy. Although some sets now have presence sensors so that if you walk out of the room, they will shut down.

Furthermore, my understanding is that if we increased fuel efficiency by just 15%, we could eliminate practically all oil imported from the mid-east. But we macho Americans have to have our big cars and we don't want the 0-60 acceleration negatively impacted, even if we're sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic after we accelerate onto the on-ramp. We'd rather fight wars that not only take the lives of our citizens, but cost us $1.2 million per month, per soldier. Then we think we have a budget deficit because someone is getting $50 in food stamps.

Your figures on fuel efficiency are not correct. We're importing about 50% of our oil, so a 15% improvement in just one of the uses of oil would not solve the problem.

But there are plenty of things that help - and don't cost much. For example, my company's business is helping companies to reduce their energy usage. We generally do only the low-hanging fruit which has a very fast payback. In most cases (in a wide variety of markets), we can save 8-30% of the total energy usage at a cost low enough to have a 1-3 year payback (and our savings are guaranteed by a major insurer in case we were to ever fail to meet our commitments). Yet it's an enormous uphill battle to get people interested.

It's really going to take a major shift in thinking processes. If companies used our services (or those of our competitors), we could knock 8-30% off our business energy demand at relatively low cost. There are similar services for residences. Add in some vehicle fuel efficiency improvements and maybe we could stop sending $200 BILLION a year overseas - much of it into the hands of terrorist regimes.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #53 of 53
So that's notifications nicked from Android, inductive charging from Palm's Touchstone and fuck knows how many ideas from Nokia.

When was the last new (innovative) thing for iphone other than a software polish and new specs?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple rumored to be looking into new charging method for 6th-gen iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple rumored to be looking into new charging method for 6th-gen iPhone