or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple retail plans, sources point to Mac OS X Lion launch next week

Apple retail plans, sources point to Mac OS X Lion launch next week

post #1 of 145
Apple late Wednesday evening began advising members of its retail segment of several preparatory measures ahead of an expected launch of its Mac OS X Lion operating system next week, which other partners say will be followed closely by the launch of much-anticipated refreshes to the company's MacBook Air notebook family.

For example, one person with access to the company's internal retail news network told AppleInsider that a new bulletin posted to the system this week is advising store management to perform RAM upgrades to certain Mac models on the showroom floors by Sunday, July 10th at the latest -- presumably in preparation for those models to be upgraded with Lion shortly thereafter.

This same person also mentioned hearing rumors from colleagues that Apple may formally invite some customers to its retail locations to download the new OS from within the store so that they can receive assistance in becoming familiar with some of Lion's more prominent enhancements.

Separately, another person employed at an Apple retail store said management late Wednesday night began advising employees that an overnight planogram shift will also be held sometime next week, though this person did not provide a specific date for the move.

Overnights historically take place at the Cupertino-based company's retail shops ahead of major product introductions and task several members of each store with working through the night reorganizing product displays, window signage and performing other tasks necessary to facilitate each particular product launch.

Meanwhile, people with ties to Apple's other operating segments are supporting claims that Apple will make Mac OS X Lion available to the general public sometime next week. They add that long-awaited refreshes to the MacBook Air line will follow the launch closely, possibly the following week.

As AppleInsider exclusively reported a little less than a month ago, Apple management made a decision earlier this spring to freeze new Mac introductions, such as the new MacBook Airs, until the completion of Lion so that it could image the new notebooks with a Gold Master build of Lion, which would afford buyers the latest and greatest Apple experience.

This includes complimentary iCloud services that will come built into the software, offering a means of automatic data synchronization that is both unparalleled in the computing industry, and paramount in an age when consumers are adopting a digital lifestyle in which they own and operate multiple mobile devices.

Apple last month placed orders for the production of a total of 380,000 Sandy Bridge-based 11.6 and 13.3-inch MacBook Airs that it has been stockpiling ahead of this month's launch. The new models are also expected to include Thunderbolt ports and possibly high-speed 400MBps flash memory.

Of those 380,000 initial mid-2011 MacBook Airs, roughly 55 percent (or 209,000) were built of the 11.6-inch varieties, which have proven slightly more popular than the 13.3-inch offerings due to their more attractive entry-level price points.

Lion will be available to users running Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard as a $29.99 download from the Mac App Store. Among its 250 new features, the OS upgrade will introduce new Multi-Touch gestures and fluid animations, full screen apps, Mission Control, Launchpad, a redesigned Mail app, application Resume, Auto Save, Version histories, and AirDrop.

For more on these features and others, see AppleInsider's illustrated in-depth series: Inside Mac OS X Lion.
post #2 of 145
googling for lion launch......

post #3 of 145
I'm eagerly awaiting osx lion.
post #4 of 145
I was really hoping for Lion this week. I was checking my apps to see which ones requires Rosetta to work. It turns out only two of my apps are PowerPC apps (one is Office 2004) and I already have the newest version of these apps. So I am good to go.
post #5 of 145
Just got an email from Intuit to all registered users warning me that Quicken for Mac 2007 will not open under Lion. Don't know if they got a heads up from Apple, or are just acting on the July timeframe previously announced.

This and the absence of iWeb/MobileMe Gallery from iCloud are two reasons I will delaying install of Lion for some time. The first time I will not be an early adopter.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #6 of 145
Lion looks like a bad version of IOS in order to attract iPhone and iPad users who still use a Windows laptops / desktops. Apart from sandboxing in Safari and autosave / restore there seems very little additional functionality in Lion. Seems mainly eye candy they can't even implement tabbed browsing in the Finder or re-send email in Mail. I am sad to say in the 15 years plus I have been using Mac's I have never been so underwhelmed in my anticipation to a "major" OS upgrade. I really hope that this is not the beginning of the end for the Mac OS and that Apple haven't forgotten the mantra "Less is More" as that is what has worked for so long and has made using Mac's a pleasure. Keep it simple, keep it clean. Just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean you should.
post #7 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Just got an email from Intuit to all registered users warning me that Quicken for Mac 2007 will not open under Lion. Don't know if they got a heads up from Apple, or are just acting on the July timeframe previously announced.

This and the absence of iWeb/MobileMe Gallery from iCloud are two reasons I will delaying install of Lion for some time. The first time I will not be an early adopter.

What does iCloud and iWeb/MobileMe have to do with Lion?! iCloud will not be launched until later this fall and iWeb+MM will work until Jun next year.
post #8 of 145
Seriously guy pull your head out of the sand. This is a huge update to Mac OS/X. Many of the updates will set OS/X for future generations of hardware.

Beyond all of that most of the improvements do lead to a better user experience. Keeping things simple while expanding capability will be one of the highlights of Lion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus1923 View Post

Lion looks like a bad version of IOS in order to attract iPhone and iPad users who still use a Windows laptops / desktops. Apart from sandboxing in Safari and autosave / restore there seems very little additional functionality in Lion. Seems mainly eye candy they can't even implement tabbed browsing in the Finder or re-send email in Mail. I am sad to say in the 15 years plus I have been using Mac's I have never been so underwhelmed in my anticipation to a "major" OS upgrade. I really hope that this is not the beginning of the end for the Mac OS and that Apple haven't forgotten the mantra "Less is More" as that is what has worked for so long and has made using Mac's a pleasure. Keep it simple, keep it clean. Just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean you should.
post #9 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

I'm eagerly awaiting osx lion.

I'm just hoping my early 2008 machine can handle it.
post #10 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Just run on a cloned drive or volume and have fun and keep your SL intact for now. Why miss out at that price?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #11 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Seriously guy pull your head out of the sand. This is a huge update to Mac OS/X. Many of the updates will set OS/X for future generations of hardware.

Beyond all of that most of the improvements do lead to a better user experience. Keeping things simple while expanding capability will be one of the highlights of Lion.

Yeah right by making Mac look more like Windows please. So tell me what is so ground breaking about Lion that you cannot already do in Snow Leopard. Mission Control and Launchpad are just gimmicks to try and attract non Mac iOS users.
post #12 of 145
Quote:

It had better, because I was planning on putting it on my 2007 machine.
post #13 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Lion requires
Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
post #14 of 145
Quote:

As far as I know, as long as your machine has a Core 2 Duo, you should be fine. I believe this covers all machines from 2007 onwards.
post #15 of 145
Quote:

Yeah right by making Mac look more like Windows please. So tell me what is so ground breaking about Lion that you cannot already do in Snow Leopard. Mission Control and Launchpad are just gimmicks to try and attract non Mac iOS users.

Perhaps you should go and read something about it.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/
post #16 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Perhaps you should go and read something about it.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/

I already have, that is what is so depressing about it. Lack of true innovation and imagination. For consumers fine but for content creators / business use nada.
post #17 of 145
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Lion requires
Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor

Welcome aboard! But don't be bashful - tell us what you really think!
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
post #18 of 145
Quote:

I already have, that is what is so depressing about it. Lack of true innovation and imagination. For consumers fine but for content creators / business use nada.

Then obviously, all you've read is the headline, or you simply don't understand why the innovations are so important.
post #19 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Core2 Duo or better machines.
post #20 of 145
It's interesting that in this news, we again hear about Air updated machines coming out, but nothing about updated MB's, even though stock is low or out, at retailers.

If new machines were coming out now, as with what seem to be the new Airs, one would think that some leaks would have arrived by now. What does this tell us?
post #21 of 145
Quote:

Then obviously, all you've read is the headline, or you simply don't understand why the innovations are so important.

Not all all I have read lots about Lion. So how about you telling me or try to convince me what exactly is so ground breaking about Lion as turning my desktop or laptop into an oversized iPhone doesn't quite work for me or my business. Seriously I would love to be convinced.

Alos having the release as a download only is plain stupid. For me it is fine as I have a 50Mb connection but what about other users and countries where their connections are limited or in reality impossible to do a 4GB download.
post #22 of 145
Will you posters please stop responding to Odysseus1923's insincere posts. He is clearly trolling.

Quote:

It's interesting that in this news, we again hear about Air updated machines coming out, but nothing about updated MB's, even though stock is low or out, at retailers.

If new machines were coming out now, as with what seem to be the new Airs, one would think that some leaks would have arrived by now. What does this tell us?

Tells us Apple has gotten better at keeping secrets.

edit: There website still says ships within 24 hours. It's not a guarantee, but I would expect any real constraint in supply to flow to their online store after several months of the same rumour.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #23 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Tells us Apple has gotten better at keeping secrets.

No, it doesn't. It could be telling us that there is no MB upgrade. Why would major leaks of Air upgrades come out so early, and none for the MB? That would be unlikely.
post #24 of 145
Quote:

Not all all I have read lots about Lion. So how about you telling me or try to convince me what exactly is so ground breaking about Lion as turning my desktop or laptop into an oversized iPhone doesn't quite work for me or my business. Seriously I would love to be convinced.

Alos having the release as a download only is plain stupid. For me it is fine as I have a 50Mb connection but what about other users and countries where their connections are limited or in reality impossible to do a 4GB download.

I really don't think you want to be, by the tone of your posts.
post #25 of 145
Quote:

Will you posters please stop responding to Odysseus1923's insecure posts. He is clearly trolling.

Sorry mate I couldn't be more secure. There are lots of long time power users who are unhappy about the direction the Mac OS seems to be heading in.

http://www.nillabyte.com/content.php...-Windows-Users
post #26 of 145
Quote:

No, it doesn't. It could be telling us that there is no MB upgrade. Why would major leaks of Air upgrades come out so early, and none for the MB? That would be unlikely.

We have a less actual leaks than we used to despite Apple being more popular and having to source more components. We also have plenty of evidence to support their stopping leaks.
post #27 of 145
Quote:

I really don't think you want to be, by the tone of your posts.

So that is your answer you just going to accept anything that Apple do just because they are Apple. I was trying to instigate a genuine discussion about the direction they are moving in which with Lion from what I have read and seen so far doesn't bode well for the future of the Mac OS as I really can see little genuine innovation and imagination in this upgrade.
post #28 of 145
Next week sounds about right.
post #29 of 145
Quote:

I don't think any Windows IT guys are going to suddenly start raving about Apple but is Lion any less capable than SL as a business OS? Are you a dev or are you basing your evaluation on news sites? I have it running and as a dev I think it is a nice upgrade if not only for the iOS, iCloud tie-ins but also because it simply refines the sophistication of the continuing evolution of OS X.

Technology advancements often are evolutionary but don't always make everything snappier. Just today I went to client's office and fired up their only Mac which is a 2005 vintage running 10.1, I think, or whatever, on a power PC and hadn't been started for several years. After fixing the clock, I tested it out and believe it or not it actually felt faster than my 8 core Mac Pro running SL, at least from the stand point of routine finder tasks. Very usable machine. Connected to my iDisk, vnc and surfed around the web and the corporate network just fine.

So bottom line if you want the latest and greatest, then upgrade to Lion but otherwise you can get by just fine with whatever OS X you have already.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #30 of 145
Quote:

I really can see little genuine innovation and imagination in this upgrade.

No offence but by saying the above, you just sound simple. How would you do it better? Or perhaps you could give us examples of how other genuinely innovative and imaginative companies are doing it better...
post #31 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

No offence but by saying the above, you just sound simple. How would you do it better? Or perhaps you could give us examples of how other genuinely innovative and imaginative companies are doing it better...

If you read my first post you would see 2 suggestions as a start and read the link I posted before and again below as I fully agree with him.

http://www.nillabyte.com/content.php...-Windows-Users
post #32 of 145
Quote:

So that is your answer you just going to accept anything that Apple do just because they are Apple. I was trying to instigate a genuine discussion about the direction they are moving in which with Lion from what I have read and seen so far doesn't bode well for the future of the Mac OS as I really can see little genuine innovation and imagination in this upgrade.

wtf... there are a lot of 12 year olds on the internet with nothing better to do then troll apple. The fact that their market share is going up doesnt boast well with kids. That website where people are voicing their concerns over lion saying that they've used it for many years...guaranteed that 90% of them are 12 year old kids that will never get cats wet in their lives.

now as for new features... resume is going to reinvent the desktop OS. For sure you'll see windows take this idea and in 10 years, the kids on those forums will be saying that windows got this feature first. Versions is also revolutionary and i don't even need to describe how. Airdrop... guaranteed in windows in a year. Launchpad is a gimick and il agree but its still a nice feature. Its evolutionary. Also, the way which lion handles desktops is revolutionary. This is the first time in the GUI era that 2 or more desktops has been incorporated in an os in a simple way. This is the first time where it'd be smart to teach a new user a feature like this BEFORE you go into some of the basics. Full screen is also nice but only evolutionary i'l once again admit that.

And finally, since your clearly using windows 7... name 10 new features. Please im waiting. I'll help. Snap... thats as gimmicky as launchpad. The new taskbar... i suppose they wanted you to click MORE if you want to switch between windows. Libraries... more like LOLbraries. Advanced search still takes a minute to finish. And OMFG heres the kicker all you mac users... r you ready... your desktop (the one) can now have a slide show. OMFG thats amazing. Imma pay $250 for that. Thats really all the new features. The rest are graphical or in the background. The only thing which windows does better than mac is A)charge more and B)piss off its users with notifications all the time.
post #33 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooman625 View Post

wtf... there are a lot of 12 year olds on the internet with nothing better to do then troll apple. The fact that their market share is going up doesnt boast well with kids. That website where people are voicing their concerns over lion saying that they've used it for many years...guaranteed that 90% of them are 12 year old kids that will never get cats wet in their lives.

now as for new features... resume is going to reinvent the desktop OS. For sure you'll see windows take this idea and in 10 years, the kids on those forums will be saying that windows got this feature first. Versions is also revolutionary and i don't even need to describe how. Airdrop... guaranteed in windows in a year. Launchpad is a gimick and il agree but its still a nice feature. Its evolutionary. Also, the way which lion handles desktops is revolutionary. This is the first time in the GUI era that 2 or more desktops has been incorporated in an os in a simple way. This is the first time where it'd be smart to teach a new user a feature like this BEFORE you go into some of the basics. Full screen is also nice but only evolutionary i'l once again admit that.

And finally, since your clearly using windows 7... name 10 new features. Please im waiting. I'll help. Snap... thats as gimmicky as launchpad. The new taskbar... i suppose they wanted you to click MORE if you want to switch between windows. Libraries... more like LOLbraries. Advanced search still takes a minute to finish. And OMFG heres the kicker all you mac users... r you ready... your desktop (the one) can now have a slide show. OMFG thats amazing. Imma pay $250 for that. Thats really all the new features. The rest are graphical or in the background. The only thing which windows does better than mac is A)charge more and B)piss off its users with notifications all the time.

Idiot, this has nothing to do with Windows which I abhor.
post #34 of 145
The features are still there. It is a fact that everyone one that website you mentioned, everyone on youtube and everyone here is young. Some may not be but majority are around the plump age of 12 making web comments unreliable for complaints and it answers your question of what the neat faetures of lion is. I answered your question that you asked that other user and i compared it to the os that you're probably using.
post #35 of 145
Quote:

they can't even implement tabbed browsing in the Finder.

A tabbed or split pane finder would be nice \

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #36 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooman625 View Post

The features are still there. It is a fact that everyone one that website you mentioned, everyone on youtube and everyone here is young. Some may not be but majority are around the plump age of 12 making web comments unreliable for complaints and it answers your question of what the neat faetures of lion is. I answered your question that you asked that other user and i compared it to the os that you're probably using.

The point I am trying to make is that instead of Apple wasting their time coming up with useless eye candy in order to attract Windows users they could spend their time better coming up with genuine innovation which is useful and adds to usability and enhanced efficiencies in the real world working environment instead of dumming down the OS and re-packaging aspects which already exist. Hey I am not saying it is all bad it just seems they are beginning to run out of genuine ideas.
post #37 of 145
Quote:

The point I am trying to make is that instead of Apple wasting their time coming up with useless eye candy in order to attract Windows users they could spend their time better coming up with genuine innovation which is useful and adds to usability and enhanced efficiencies in the real world working environment instead of dumming down the OS and re-packaging aspects which already exist. Hey I am not saying it is all bad it just seems they are beginning to run out of genuine ideas.

firstly, all windows is is eye candy. Apple won't be able to beat that and even i don't think so. They look different, feel different and therefore don't compete. Apple knows they can't draw people until they're market share grows. They are two different markets. Also, theres mission control wich helps with mutitasking. Airdrop is truely new and their 'competition' doesn't have that. Versons is amazing. Launchpad is neat cause it will find apps all over your system, not just in the apps folder. their 'competition' isn't even capable of that because their search is so painfully slow.

other features like filevault 2 now encrypts the whole HDD or SSD in some cases. same thing though. The fact that one purchase works on a lot of macs is cool. You mentiond your 'buisness' (also known as your friends in your grade 9 class) and how the download will make it hard. With your os of choice, you'd need to spend a lot of money on cd's. Now, one download, one usb and then all those macs are ready.

And i don't see whats so unoriginal about the incorporation of their desktops. Once again...their only competition and your os of choice simply can't do something like that because A) the background was made so long ago that it'd be laggy and B) just like android, they can't assume that everyone has multitouch made in their trackpads and therefore, simply can't make it so easy. Instead, your os of choice simply updates the graphics and looks of thir os to get all the kids in your class raving about how cool and advanced it is
post #38 of 145
Quote:
"a new bulletin posted to the system this week is advising store management to perform RAM upgrades to certain Mac models on the showroom floors by Sunday"

Uh-oh. I don't like the sound of that. I'm running a 2.53ghz Mini with 4 gigs of RAM, and Aperture 3 can often run at a frigging CRAWL. I love Aperture 3. Love it love it love it... but good gawd is it a resource hog. I was hoping Lion might better handle resources.

Does anybody know if Lion is more RAM hungry than Leopard or Snow Leopard?
post #39 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

A tabbed or split pane finder would be nice \

Totally agree. Split-pane would be especially nice since dragging and dropping files currently requires two finder windows, which seems odd for accomplishing such a simple task.

I'll probably be an early Lion adopter. I haven't regretted upgrading since... uhm... OS 8.5? Or was it OS 7 to OS 8? Either way, that's a long time ago.
post #40 of 145
Quote:

We have a less actual leaks than we used to despite Apple being more popular and having to source more components. We also have plenty of evidence to support their stopping leaks.

But it's very unusual to get strong leaks about one product, and to then get nothing about another in the same area. Not saying it can't happen, but it's unlikely.

Well, we might know next week.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple retail plans, sources point to Mac OS X Lion launch next week