or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple retail plans, sources point to Mac OS X Lion launch next week

Apple retail plans, sources point to Mac OS X Lion launch next week - Page 2

post #41 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus1923 View Post

If you read my first post you would see 2 suggestions as a start and read the link I posted before and again below as I fully agree with him.

http://www.nillabyte.com/content.php...-Windows-Users

Unfortunately, I just wasted 5 minutes of my life reading the drivel that you linked. Ironically, I would describe the author as 'lacking the imaginative and visionary capacity to perceive innovation' even if it bit them on the ass.
post #42 of 145
Downloading the hugeness of Lion will be interesting. I'm on a very fast connection, luckily.
post #43 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooman625 View Post

firstly, all windows is is eye candy.
Other features like filevault 2 now encrypts the whole HDD or SSD in some cases.

Hmm. There seems to be an inconsistency there. Lemme help you fix that. Windows has been offering hardware-based full disk encryption since Vista, so for six years now.

I can't believe I'm standing up for Windows, but facts are facts.
post #44 of 145
Quote:

Lion looks like a bad version of IOS in order to....

Blah blah blah.

Hey, I get it. Some people have a need to complain about everything, mostly because they're unhappy people. But come on now. Lion looks like a fantastic update. Perfect? Of course not. Nothing is perfect. But Lion looks pretty sweet, and we're getting it in July of 2011. By the time Windows comes out with their next release, Apple will probably be discussing Lion's moderate but meaningful successor (Snow Lion? Grin!).

I think Lion is going to be great. And for anyone with a desktop and a Magic Trackpad, it'll be especially great. I bought a Magic Trackpad last month in anticipation of Lion becoming more of a touch OS.

This is an update I am extremely excited about.
post #45 of 145
Quote:

So that is your answer you just going to accept anything that Apple do just because they are Apple. I was trying to instigate a genuine discussion about the direction they are moving in which with Lion from what I have read and seen so far doesn't bode well for the future of the Mac OS as I really can see little genuine innovation and imagination in this upgrade.

There's been so much written about it that you can easily find a number of articles that explain the features, at least those that we know about, and obviously, as always, the ones we don't yet know about will be dwarfed by those we don't yet know about.

So instead of trying to give answers here, in this limited venue, it would be better for you to look some of these articles up yourself, that is, if you're really serious, which seems to be questionable.

If you're so serious, then why don't you discuss, in some detail, one of those major features you seem to detest, instead of simply telling us how terrible they all are? Then maybe we can take you seriously.
post #46 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkgm View Post

Hmm. There seems to be an inconsistency there. Lemme help you fix that. Windows has been offering hardware-based full disk encryption since Vista, so for six years now.

I can't believe I'm standing up for Windows, but facts are facts.

I suppose and your right. But the facts are that windows 8 has brought next to nothing new. And windows does need that cause 1 in 14 emails is a virus... or something like that. Apple is bringing in many new features before their os becomes big and their bringing in security updates when their os doesn't need it. Thats something Windows can't say.

But its alright to defend the competition <3 U for no real reason either
post #47 of 145
First off operating system (OS) updates are really about apps. That is the manufacture or supplier of the OS brings out new features in iOS that allows app developers to innovate and deliver new features. In this regard Lion is one of the biggest updates in ages.

Quote:

Not all all I have read lots about Lion. So how about you telling me or try to convince me what exactly is so ground breaking about Lion as turning my desktop or laptop into an oversized iPhone doesn't quite work for me or my business.

The way you are caring on in this thread has me questioning if you are old enough to gave a business! Lion does not turn your machine into an oversized iPhone. Saying so makes it look like you are trolling or worst can't grasp the value in what Apple is offering up.
Quote:
Seriously I would love to be convinced.

Wait for the debut. People on this forum that do know about Lion, developers mostly, can't really talk about it.

Or go to Apples web site and review the 250 new features they highlight. Then ask yourself how are these new features delivered. What you will find is that Apple did some really serums overhauling of Mac OS/X.

There is much to consider as being useful for a business. For example:

Improvements to AppleScript.
AutoSave
Automated improvements.
MultiTouch
Vast improvements to the Text system
Improvements to the Unix subsystem.
Quote:
Alos having the release as a download only is plain stupid. For me it is fine as I have a 50Mb connection but what about other users and countries where their connections are limited or in reality impossible to do a 4GB download.

Actually on this point I agree with you 100%. It isn't that moving to the web is bad, just that most if the world isn't ready for that.

The problem here is that you think of OS updates as user directed. While user facing parts of the system are being improved it really isn't what OS updates are all about. The OS is there to support developers so that they have something to deliver enhanced apps on. In a nut shell apps sell computers.
post #48 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Totally agree. Split-pane would be especially nice since dragging and dropping files currently requires two finder windows, which seems odd for accomplishing such a simple task.

I'll probably be an early Lion adopter. I haven't regretted upgrading since... uhm... OS 8.5? Or was it OS 7 to OS 8? Either way, that's a long time ago.

Agreed re the Finder and I started out using OS7. How about being able to attach popup notes to files / folders as contextual menus, could be useful.

Apparently in Lion the Library folder will be hidden presumably as a dot folder but not good as sometimes it is necessary to access it and edit or remove files. I don't want it so the the system decides where everything goes based upon which app I am using as in iOS .It is fine for an iPhone / iPad but not for Mac OS.
post #49 of 145
Ah yes, another OS X release and another round of "it's just eye candy and no real improvements". Seriously? Then don't upgrade! Your Leopard or Snow Leopard install will not suddenly cease to work when Lion comes out. At some point, the whiners are just going to have to admit they have nothing better to do than whine.

Me? I'll take the autosave, "eye candy" iOS disappearing scroll bars, Mission Control, app resume, versioning, Time Machine snapshots, disk encryption, application sandboxing, and SMB with DFS (for the asinine comment that Lion offers nothing for "business users"). Those are just my personal new features of preference. Yours may be different.

We've heard it before. When SL was coming, no one though OpenCL or Grand Central Dispatch were significant features.
post #50 of 145
Quote:

The point I am trying to make is that instead of Apple wasting their time coming up with useless eye candy in order to attract Windows users

Run on sentences here.

What eye candy? Seriously they are making the GUI more understated if you ask ne. Beyond that it is rather stupid to imply they are chasing Windows, little to nothing looks like Windows.
Quote:
they could spend their time better coming up with genuine innovation which is useful and adds to usability and enhanced efficiencies in the real world working environment

They have for those capable of seeing it. Lion will be a huge advantage to many professionals because of the new features. To sit here and imply that they have ignored usability makes you look very un informed.
Quote:
instead of dumming down the OS and re-packaging aspects which already exist.

Dumbing down? I really hope you aren't serious with that statement.
Quote:
Hey I am not saying it is all bad it just seems they are beginning to run out of genuine ideas.

Unbelievable. Honestly I bet you would get lost on a ten minute hike in the woods. What do you expect to see?
post #51 of 145
Any clues as to WHICH machines will have their RAM upgraded? I'm not worried personally as I'm running with a i7 & 8GB...but I am curious.

What I'm REALLY looking forward to is the increase in wireless bandwidth (3 x 150MB)...oh baby that will be nice!!! Assuming that all works out my next acquisition will be a new wireless router that can also do 450MB w/ 802.11n!

For those of you that have not yet seen it, there are two ways to create an image from the download of LION.
Here's how to burn to a disk;
http://www.tuaw.com/2011/06/07/how-t...ion-boot-disc/

Here's how to copy to SD;
http://www.tuaw.com/2011/06/08/how-t...om-an-sd-card/
post #52 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by focher View Post

Ah yes, another OS X release and another round of "it's just eye candy and no real improvements". Seriously? Then don't upgrade! Your Leopard or Snow Leopard install will not suddenly cease to work when Lion comes out. At some point, the whiners are just going to have to admit they have nothing better to do than whine.

Me? I'll take the autosave, "eye candy" iOS disappearing scroll bars, Mission Control, app resume, versioning, Time Machine snapshots, disk encryption, application sandboxing, and SMB with DFS (for the asinine comment that Lion offers nothing for "business users"). Those are just my personal new features of preference. Yours may be different.

We've heard it before. When SL was coming, no one though OpenCL or Grand Central Dispatch were significant features.

Good
Sandboxing
Versioning
Auto Save
Resume

Bad or Irrelevant
Mission Control
Launchpad
Disappearing scrollbars
Full Screen Apps (Mostly)

Leopard came out 4 years ago and this is the best they can come up with in all this time. They are clearly dedicating more resources to iPad / iPhone rather than Mac OSX which is what concerns me.
post #53 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

I'm eagerly awaiting osx lion.

I'm eagerly awaiting OS sex.
post #54 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

(Snow Lion? Grin!).

Mountain Lion?
post #55 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooman625 View Post

The fact that their market share is going up doesnt boast well with kids.

I have a hard time believing that. Kids love Macs, its those clueless business/IT men who think the Mac is only a shiny toy that are refusing to give them a chance.
post #56 of 145
I would love a new Macbook Air, but I could an iPad and a cheap Windows-notebook for the $999. Here's hoping 4 GB of RAM is standard.
post #57 of 145
Quote:

The point I am trying to make is that instead of Apple wasting their time coming up with useless eye candy in order to attract Windows users they could spend their time better coming up with genuine innovation which is useful and adds to usability and enhanced efficiencies in the real world working environment instead of dumming down the OS and re-packaging aspects which already exist. Hey I am not saying it is all bad it just seems they are beginning to run out of genuine ideas.

I think it was made clear before SL came out that it (SL) was the no-superficial-interface improvements upgrade. The version of OSX that would come after would catch up on the apps and interface. This is where we now are.

When SL came out some people complained that there was nothing on the surface that enabled you to see the improvements. It was all under-the-hood stuff. So Apple charged $29.00 for an upgrade that was worth 5 times that.

Now that Lion is coming out and catching up with the surface stuff (and leaving heavy duty changes till next time) people like you are complaining that here the changes are all just interface changes. And so Apple charges $29.00 again, for an upgrade that is worth more.

FGS this is $29.00. If you don't want to pay that much for interface upgrades then don't buy it. That simple. But coming here and ranting like this makes you indistinguishable from a troll even though you insist you aren't.
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
post #58 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Will you posters please stop responding to Odysseus1923's insincere posts. He is clearly trolling.

Tells us Apple has gotten better at keeping secrets.

edit: There website still says ships within 24 hours. It's not a guarantee, but I would expect any real constraint in supply to flow to their online store after several months of the same rumour.

Actually, Odyssues1923 is NOT trolling. He's expressing a pretty clear opinion about the next version of MacOS X. And frankly, I agree with him. No offense, the OS is intended to attract iOS customers to the Mac but not really offer anything to existing users of MacOS X.

It's actually pretty offensive that you suggest that anybody who disagrees with Apple's direction is trolling.
post #59 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by focher View Post

Can you list what *signficant* apps are actually using Grand Central Dispatch, btw?
post #60 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

I think it was made clear before SL came out that it (SL) was the no-superficial-interface improvements upgrade. The version of OSX that would come after would catch up on the apps and interface. This is where we now are.

When SL came out some people complained that there was nothing on the surface that enabled you to see the improvements. It was all under-the-hood stuff. So Apple charged $29.00 for an upgrade that was worth 5 times that.

Now that Lion is coming out and catching up with the surface stuff (and leaving heavy duty changes till next time) people like you are complaining that here the changes are all just interface changes. And so Apple charges $29.00 again, for an upgrade that is worth more.

FGS this is $29.00. If you don't want to pay that much for interface upgrades then don't buy it. That simple. But coming here and ranting like this makes you indistinguishable from a troll even though you insist you aren't.

Is Odysseus really complaining or just providing a counterpoint to those who claim that Lion is the next delivery of Mana from God? As I remember his original post, he was just saying that compared to other Mac OS updates (that frankly took shorter time to deliver), it is less compelling.
post #61 of 145
I don't get why people here are completely shooting down any criticism of OS X Lion. As an OS X user since Tiger days, and a big Apple fan, I can agree that Lion is an underwhelming update compared to, e.g. the innovation that came in Leopard after Tiger. After Leopard it's just been minor improvements and it is clear that the company has refocussed its resources on iOS devices with the Mac relegated to second or third priority. I will of course be updating to Lion, but note that I said updating and not upgrading. Another thing that bothers me is that the visual changes they've made in Lion seem very un-Apple like, and some things look downright ugly (like the new Finder sidebar, or the smaller traffic lights, or the new buttons - in fact it almost looks like a linux desktop with a half-assed OS X theme applied on top). I guess we'll get used to it, but Leopard was the last good-looking OS X in my opinion. SL didn't change much (except de-glossifying the buttons) and Lion has totally dropped the ball.

Also, stop calling people trolls just because they don't blindly praise Apple.
post #62 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

I'm eagerly awaiting osx lion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No, it doesn't. It could be telling us that there is no MB upgrade. Why would major leaks of Air upgrades come out so early, and none for the MB? That would be unlikely.

Mark my words. There will be no MacBook. It's being replaced in its market segment with the Air.
post #63 of 145
I'm not too fond of some of the iOS stuff creeping onto the desktop, but I'm willing to give it a fair chance. Problem is I still use some PowerPC software on a regular basis.

Users like me who still use older software have three options:
1. Replace everything we own from the PowerPC era even if there's no direct replacement available
2. Continue to use older Macs with an older OS
3. Pirate Snow Leopard Server and run it in a virtual machine

Apple obviously wants #1, but the other two options are both more convenient and less costly for users. Option #2 is the worst possible case for Apple - a group who simply cannot buy any new Apple hardware or software.

Therefore Apple should make it possible for Snow Leopard client to run in a virtual machine.
Is anyone in Cupertino listening?
You could sell brand new Macs to a large number of Rosetta hold-outs if you'd let us run old software on new hardware.
post #64 of 145
Quote:

The point I am trying to make is that instead of Apple wasting their time coming up with useless eye candy in order to attract Windows users they could spend their time better coming up with genuine innovation which is useful and adds to usability and enhanced efficiencies in the real world working environment instead of dumming down the OS and re-packaging aspects which already exist. Hey I am not saying it is all bad it just seems they are beginning to run out of genuine ideas.

You're basing your entire argument on one post on a website which clearly states in its own sitel logo that its opinion, not to mention that some of the article is just pure gibberish.

"They're making it more like iOS!" - "Windows 8 with its new Windows Mobile Style features and UI"

"Windows 7 style <insert element here>" - I'm on my Windows 7 machine right now, I've been searching for the last 15minutes and I cannot see one of these supposed "copied" GUI elements. If its something stupid like the buttons being square then the world needs a slap.

The article also does not mention that, in total, Lion has 250 new features and APIs. You are saying that Lion is useless for business? Have you SEEN the new features? For a start, ASLR and sand-boxing has been greatly improved which enhances security, new Profiles for server environments for easier management of Apple devices, vastly improved automator and the new XTS-AES 128 encryption is a boon for those with sensitive documents. FileVault2 can even encrypt USB and Firewire devices. The new Mail would be great for business users with long emails and the improved SMB support for Mac users in a Windows Network.

I could go on but I think I'll stop. From a business perspective, things have just gotten a lot better and more streamlined. Stop focusing on the GUI and take a deeper look into the underlying system. Its actually a very substantial upgrade - do you know how long Mac users have been waiting for an improved ASLR?

... at night.

... at night.

post #65 of 145
Hoping for some nice OS X Lion T-Shirts, Like when they released Leopard.... I can dream.
post #66 of 145
Quote:

Good
Sandboxing
Versioning
Auto Save
Resume

Bad or Irrelevant
Mission Control
Launchpad
Disappearing scrollbars
Full Screen Apps (Mostly)

Well, that's a start. You finally acknowledge something in Lion of value, and I would point out that the things you highlight are pretty big fundamental changes at the OS level for functionality to support applications.

As for your list of bad or irrelevant things, here's one tip. Don't use them. You absolutely don't have to use them. They aren't mandatory, except for the scroll bars which are wonderful because they reduce the focus on navigation elements and keep your eyes on the content.

What's obvious from all of your posts is that you don't have any experience with Lion, whether it's using it or even having any knowledge about it. That's not an ad hominem attack, it just appears to be factual. I'll give you credit for sticking to your guns, though.
post #67 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Meaney View Post

Can you list what *signficant* apps are actually using Grand Central Dispatch, btw?

The only one that actively promotes its use of GCD is Final Cut X Pro. However, most every app that has been updated for SL likely uses it because it's built into the SDK. Adding support for GCD is only a couple lines of code to a function. Your question is kind of like asking someone to list significant apps which use CoreAnimation.
post #68 of 145
Quote:

Actually, Odyssues1923 is NOT trolling. He's expressing a pretty clear opinion about the next version of MacOS X. And frankly, I agree with him. No offense, the OS is intended to attract iOS customers to the Mac but not really offer anything to existing users of MacOS X.

It's actually pretty offensive that you suggest that anybody who disagrees with Apple's direction is trolling.

I agree that he's not trolling, but he is clearly ignorant about Lion - having clearly never used it or even bothered to read up on the enhancements. Criticism is fair and good (for example, I personally never noticed the big performance benefits from SL) but it should be based on factual arguments with clear points. Simply stating Lion is just eye candy and an attempt to lure Windows users (while also claim it implements iOS UI elements, which are nothing like Windows) is not an argument. It's just making contrarian statements.
post #69 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As AppleInsider exclusively reported a little less than a month ago, Apple management made a decision earlier this spring to freeze new Mac introductions, such as the new MacBook Airs, until the completion of Lion so that it could image the new notebooks with a Gold Master build of Lion, which would afford buyers the latest and greatest Apple experience.

GOLDEN not Gold!

Also Guiness would like to talk to you about the world record for longest sentences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

This includes complimentary iCloud services that will come built into the software, offering a means of automatic data synchronization that is both unparalleled in the computing industry, and paramount in an age when consumers are adopting a digital lifestyle in which they own and operate multiple mobile devices.

iCloud will not be built-in to the initial release of Lion as iCloud doesn't launch til Fall. iCloud will be a separate update/install.
post #70 of 145
Quote:

Is Odysseus really complaining or just providing a counterpoint to those who claim that Lion is the next delivery of Mana from God? As I remember his original post, he was just saying that compared to other Mac OS updates (that frankly took shorter time to deliver), it is less compelling.

Cite one comment where someone claimed Lion is the next delivery of Mana from God. Your summary of Odysseus' comment is also 100% inaccurate. Luckily, everyone can click back and read it to see for themselves.

What you are attempting to do is equate the two opposing points of view. I guess for you, if one point of view is irrational and not based on any factual points then the other must be too and hence why you threw in the claim about Lion / Mana / God.

Those who believe Lion has significant feature enhancements have not ONCE argued against a specific criticism - but there hasn't been one. The points made are that Lion is just eye candy and has no significance to "business users" (as if a business user is some superior user type who has higher demands). Specific examples were shown that this is not actually true. Where is the factual response to defend your argument?
post #71 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffrew View Post

Mountain Lion?

OSX 10.8 Manticore!

post #72 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

OSX 10.8 Manticore!

In honor of the passing of Gary Gygax?
post #73 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert32 View Post

Hoping for some nice OS X Lion T-Shirts, Like when they released Leopard.... I can dream.

There will be T-shirts... You just have to download them from the App Store.
post #74 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

In honor of the passing of Gary Gygax?

If one thinks so... It would be hella cool in any case. The guerilla and mainstream marketing opportunities increase by an order of magnitude once you move into the realm of mythical creatures.
post #75 of 145
Quote:

Not all all I have read lots about Lion. So how about you telling me or try to convince me what exactly is so ground breaking about Lion as turning my desktop or laptop into an oversized iPhone doesn't quite work for me or my business. Seriously I would love to be convinced.

Alos having the release as a download only is plain stupid. For me it is fine as I have a 50Mb connection but what about other users and countries where their connections are limited or in reality impossible to do a 4GB download.

Agreed. I live abroad with 3G roaming. 4G update, yeah right.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

post #76 of 145
What's up with all the "Jul 2011" trolls?
Mac Pro 5,1: 12 x 2.93GHz / 64 GB / ATI 5870 / 1.5+2+2+2+3TB / ACD 30" + 20"
post #77 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

A tabbed or split pane finder would be nice \

You should give PathFinder a try. Great program and I must say everyone should have this if you consider yourself a power-user.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #78 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I'm not too fond of some of the iOS stuff creeping onto the desktop, but I'm willing to give it a fair chance. Problem is I still use some PowerPC software on a regular basis.

Users like me who still use older software have three options:
1. Replace everything we own from the PowerPC era even if there's no direct replacement available
2. Continue to use older Macs with an older OS
3. Pirate Snow Leopard Server and run it in a virtual machine

Apple obviously wants #1, but the other two options are both more convenient and less costly for users. Option #2 is the worst possible case for Apple - a group who simply cannot buy any new Apple hardware or software.

Therefore Apple should make it possible for Snow Leopard client to run in a virtual machine.
Is anyone in Cupertino listening?
You could sell brand new Macs to a large number of Rosetta hold-outs if you'd let us run old software on new hardware.

Good post. I just want to point out that running Rosetta is not up to Apple. IBM, who bought the company that Apple licensed Rosetta from, doesn't want to license it any longer. Or so it has been reported over at Macworld.
post #79 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Good post. I just want to point out that running Rosetta is not up to Apple. IBM, who bought the company that Apple licensed Rosetta from, doesn't want to license it any longer. Or so it has been reported over at Macworld.

Heh - IBM never killed off a piece of technology that was still turning a profit. More likely they just asked for more $ than Apple was willing to pay.
post #80 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

There's been so much written about it that you can easily find a number of articles that explain the features, at least those that we know about, and obviously, as always, the ones we don't yet know about will be dwarfed by those we don't yet know about.

So instead of trying to give answers here, in this limited venue, it would be better for you to look some of these articles up yourself, that is, if you're really serious, which seems to be questionable.

If you're so serious, then why don't you discuss, in some detail, one of those major features you seem to detest, instead of simply telling us how terrible they all are? Then maybe we can take you seriously.

The man is angry about Mac OS X evolving and just have to pay $29 for it. I've been running Lion since GM came and I have yet to find any negative aspects.

He's a troll allright.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple retail plans, sources point to Mac OS X Lion launch next week