or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple rumored to add second manufacturer for 'iPad 3' production this fall
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple rumored to add second manufacturer for 'iPad 3' production this fall

post #1 of 79
Thread Starter 
Apple is said to be planning to add a second manufacturer this fall, in addition to Foxconn, in order to be able to produce a rumored third-generation iPad for launch this year.

Citing industry sources in Taiwan, DigiTimes reported Monday that likely contenders for the job are Quanta Computer and Pegatron Technology. Pegatron is said to have the advantage, as the company also reportedly received iPhone 5 orders from Apple.

Apple is said to be interested in minimizing production risk after a deadly explosion occurred at a Foxconn plant in May. That incident killed three and left 15 injured.

While the report initially referred to the rumored new tablet as an "iPad 3," it also cited recent rumors that the new model will not be a replacement for the current iPad 2, but will instead expand the product line. One report from last week suggested the new iPad could sport a double-resolution screen of 2048-by-1536 pixels, making the device a so-called "iPad HD."

A separate report, also from last week, referred to such a device as an "iPad 2 Plus." It claimed that overseas component makers have already received requests-for-quotes from Apple for a new high-end iPad model with a greater pixel density display.



Sources in Taiwan reportedly told DigiTimes that the new iPad model will launch at the end of the third quarter or early in the fourth quarter of calendar 2011. Total shipments of all iPad models are expected to top 13 million units in the third quarter.

Earlier this month, the same publication claimed that Apple's suppliers were gearing up for an October launch of a new iPad, as well as the fifth-generation iPhone. Both devices were then said to be unveiled in September and go on sale soon after.

The rumored new iPad is expected to have an even thinner and lighter design. The new display will allegedly have a resolution of about 250 pixels per inch, compared to the 132 pixels per inch of the current iPad.

Rumors of a third iPad model launching in 2011 are not new, and first began to appear before the second-generation iPad was even announced. But Apple appeared to downplay those rumors when it unveiled its new iPad and declared 2011 to be the "Year of iPad 2."
post #2 of 79
Baloney.

WS still trying to figure out how to stop the iPad juggernaut. Best bet is to suggest a new iPad model around the corner so why buy now.

Payola lives.
post #3 of 79
13M iPads this quarter? Really
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #4 of 79
I'm not talking just iPad HD here but an iPad of a different physical size and a larger iPod Touch like device. It really looks like Apple is letting a lot of opportunity slip away here.
post #5 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It really looks like Apple is letting a lot of opportunity slip away here.

...because the 7" wannabe iPads are such runaway hits?
post #6 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjose1929 View Post

Baloney.

WS still trying to figure out how to stop the iPad juggernaut. Best bet is to suggest a new iPad model around the corner so why buy now.

Payola lives.

An iPad HD would have a superior crushing effect on the competition during the holiday shopping season. Beyond that there is lots of room in Apples line up for more iOS devices.

For example every time I go to an electronics store And look at the GPS systems, with their sub seven inch screens, I cringe. Most of these are 5" class devices and it is very easy to imagine iOS on such a sized "tablet". Made Apple thin they would be very useful.

Beyond that Wall Street does not fight success! Also the vast majority of Apples customers don't care to know what is around the corner. Each turn is a new adventure.
post #7 of 79
Okay so let me get this straight - if reports are to be believed, then this Fall we are to expect -
  • iPhone 5
  • iPhone 4S/Lite
  • iPod Touch 5th Generation
  • iPad HD
  • iPod Nano
  • iPod Shuffle
  • iOS 5
  • Apple TV Update
  • Throw in a Mac update somewhere across the line.

It's all too much! How will Apple cope with the backlog of 2 iPhones, an iPod Touch and a new iPad all at the same time?

My prediction - iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S/Lite and no new iPod Touch or iPad.

If they're going to expand any of their product lines - it'll be the iPhone. The iPad will be ready for that in about a year or so.
post #8 of 79
This Ipad 3 HD will not drop this year. They are using there billions of dollars to stock pile pre-made ipad 3's this time for the feb launch like last year. This time they figure if they build them for 6 months before launch they will meet the insane demand this time out of the gates.
post #9 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabig View Post

...because the 7" wannabe iPads are such runaway hits?

Size has nothing to do with the failures in the market place at the moment. Using your logic the iPod Touch would be a failure. It would be far better to wake up to the reality that iPad is awfully big for some uses.
post #10 of 79
We probably need an expandable iPad. Once which expands from 3.5 to 13.5 inches.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #11 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakevin. View Post

Okay so let me get this straight - if reports are to be believed, then this Fall we are to expect -
  • iPhone 5
  • iPhone 4S/Lite

  • Possible more phones. Phones for China, phones for pay as you go, phones for the unknown.
    Quote:
  • iPod Touch 5th Generation
    Possibly a 5" device.
    Quote:
  • iPad HD
    Note that Apple isn't about to stop current iPad production. They have added capacity with a rather amazing ramp up.
    Quote:
  • iPod Nano
  • iPod Shuffle
    Trivial.
    Quote:
  • iOS 5
    Most likely a requirement for new devices.
    Quote:
  • Apple TV Update
  • Throw in a Mac update somewhere across the line.
Quote:
It's all too much! How will Apple cope with the backlog of 2 iPhones, an iPod Touch and a new iPad all at the same time?

Not at all. You cope by having competent teams in place.
Quote:
My prediction - iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S/Lite and no new iPod Touch or iPad.

That is rather silly as Touch has always been updated in the fall. Remember the holiday season is only weeks away.
post #12 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjose1929 View Post

Baloney.

WS still trying to figure out how to stop the iPad juggernaut. Best bet is to suggest a new iPad model around the corner so why buy now.

Payola lives.

Yeah, I was in that secret trilateral WS meeting where guys with cigars said "we have to stop this iOS"... it's priority #1 and all that you hear on the street.

Your fanboi nonsense comment is beyond Baloney and three levels smellier than bull manure...

Then I'm sure if it comes out you're one of those loser fanbois that screams "I knew it all along... Apple magical innovation all the way for the win!"

Pathetic
post #13 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Size has nothing to do with the failures in the market place at the moment. Using your logic the iPod Touch would be a failure. It would be far better to wake up to the reality that iPad is awfully big for some uses.

Oh yeah, because Apple is losing marketshare.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #14 of 79
What are the chances that Apple will choose to manufacture some iPads in the USA? Can America still compete with Asia for these kinds of manufacturing jobs, or have Americans decided that having 9.2% unemployment is more dignified than manufacturing the products they design?
post #15 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakevin. View Post

Okay so let me get this straight - if reports are to be believed, then this Fall we are to expect -
  • iPhone 5
  • iPhone 4S/Lite
  • iPod Touch 5th Generation
  • iPad HD
  • iPod Nano
  • iPod Shuffle
  • iOS 5
  • Apple TV Update
  • Throw in a Mac update somewhere across the line.

It's all too much! How will Apple cope with the backlog of 2 iPhones, an iPod Touch and a new iPad all at the same time?

My prediction - iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S/Lite and no new iPod Touch or iPad.

If they're going to expand any of their product lines - it'll be the iPhone. The iPad will be ready for that in about a year or so.

My only contradition would be that if the Air, Mini, and MacPro see revs shortly after Lion, I doubt we'll see any more Mac updates until next year. They'll have run the whole product line in 2011, and I don't think there's another chipset to move to yet.
post #16 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakevin. View Post

Okay so let me get this straight - if reports are to be believed, then this Fall we are to expect -
  • iPhone 5
  • iPhone 4S/Lite

It's been suggested that the iPhone-4S rumours have arisen because iPhone-5 test phones were created that used modified iPhone-4 shells.
post #17 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakevin. View Post


My prediction - iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S/Lite and no new iPod Touch or iPad.


My prediction.

A second company for producing all iOS devices to handle demand. Or at least the expansion of Foxconn into their South American factories.

The iPhone 5. There is no such beast at the 4s. The iPhone 4 goes 8GB following the trend.

There is no iPad HD this year. Next year the ipad 3 will perhaps come with a slightly higher DPI etc. What these sources think is a new one this year is actually just test units for next years being produced to check battery etc.

The ipod Nano, shuffle and classic are the same as last year. No camera on the nano etc.

The ipod Touch grows to be in the 5-7" range for better gaming. It still uses iphone apps, not ipad.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldfullerton View Post

What are the chances that Apple will choose to manufacture some iPads in the USA? Can America still compete with Asia for these kinds of manufacturing jobs, or have Americans decided that having 9.2% unemployment is more dignified than manufacturing the products they design?


Too many costs and not enough benefit. Apple would have to build the factories (which comes with all kinds of regulations, zoning etc), train the workers (which comes with its costs), deal with unions and so on. It's more cost effective for them to use existing companies with existing factories etc. Now if the Gov't would step up and make an effort to make it attractive for companies to stay here, that could change. Although not likely wholesale. But I could see perhaps Apple making their North/South American supply here while the rest stays in Asia

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #18 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldfullerton View Post

What are the chances that Apple will choose to manufacture some iPads in the USA?

Why do you ask when you know the answer? No chance at all.
post #19 of 79
Everybody is down on the two iPhones rumour. Thats a given, I think.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #20 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

That is rather silly as Touch has always been updated in the fall. Remember the holiday season is only weeks away.

iPhones have always been updated in June/July... Things change and Apple is showing that we don't know what to expect from them at this point.
post #21 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Everybody is down on the two iPhones rumour. Thats a given, I think.

I think it is as well. I mean there's no way they'll call it iPhone 4S but the rumours we've heard about that iPhone are probably being confused with a new lite version of the iPhone in my opinion. This is the perfect time for Apple to expand it's line of iPhones and anyone who says they never will is kidding themselves.
post #22 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

My prediction ... Next year the ipad 3 will perhaps come with a slightly higher DPI etc.

Why do you think that? I would say that there's absolutely no point increasing the DPI unless it is increased substantially, and ideally doubled. Because of the iPhone, iOS developers are already expected to supply bitmaps in high and low DPI.

If Apple added an intervening screen that was just slightly higher than the existing low DPI iPad, then either developers would have to add yet another copy of every bitmap, icons would all slightly shrink or there would be significant aliasing.

If they double DPI they get to make 'retina' claims, they avoid adding significant extra work for iOS devs and they compete with the high resolution models that Samsung have already announced they intend to ship this year.

Quote:
But I could see perhaps Apple making their North/South American supply here while the rest stays in Asia

It would be pointless making south american supply in north america, given the tariff situation in south america. That is clearly what the Brazilian assembly plant is intended for.
post #23 of 79
I think the critical question of whether or not there will be a separate iPad HD line is one of costs, and to some extent, how aggressively Apple wants to continue to build out the user base.

The move to a double-resolution display in an iPad should certainly not be considered to be a lateral move. If I had to guess, I'd bet that because the screens were so much smaller, Apple was able to justify not raising the price of the iPhone4 when they introduced the Retina Display last year- but I'd warn against making that assumption for 2x iPad displays.

I'd wager a screen of that size with that resolution is going to be much more difficult and expensive to produce in large quantities. Is ANYONE making that resolution at that size right now? The point being that if there is a substantial ADDED component cost to the new display that cannot fit into the current iPad's price structure, then Apple may well decide to produce an iPad HD for those who might be willing to pay a $100 premium for the privilege. Some people don't want to hear it, but sometimes new technologies do cost more money.

The alternative scenario is that Apple is able to incorporate a Retina Display into the iPad without raising the price. If this were the case, I'd wonder if they wouldn't continue to sell iPad2s with the current screen at $100 less. If the entry level for this device goes from $499 to $399 [and I'd bet a lot of people won't care about the screen], then Apple stands to gain huge in the breadth of their potential market.
post #24 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabig View Post

...because the 7" wannabe iPads are such runaway hits?

There's no point to a 7" iPad. Yet the Touch needs a re-think. Being as the Touch really isn't a smartphone, why force a smartphone form factor onto it.

If Apple were being honest they'd admit that the current screen on the Touch is a compromise that makes sense with a smartphone and not for a pocketable computer.

I think it reasonable to argue that one could increase the size of the Touch without preventing it from being pocketable. That larger screen would bring a lot of gains for what the device is used, i.e. gaming, surfing, e-reading, etc. I can see the point to keeping smartphones from getting too big for working well as a phone because, well, they're phones. Yet the Touch isn't a phone so why act if it is one. Let the iPhone take whatever form makes sense for a smartphone and let the Touch take whatever form makes sense for a pocketable computer. Apple is selling enough of both to justify creating two distinct products. Even if the Touch was only modestly larger, like for instance the iPhone checking in at 4 inches and the Touch 4.7 inches, or something along those lines, the larger screen would be welcome.

Down the road, a 4.7-inch Touch would provide an option to compete with the inevitably cheap tablets that are sure to flood the market. You know the cheap stuff is coming. It always does. Given a choice between poor quality with a larger screen or a larger Touch, a lot would gravitate towards the Touch.
post #25 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Size has nothing to do with the failures in the market place at the moment. Using your logic the iPod Touch would be a failure. It would be far better to wake up to the reality that iPad is awfully big for some uses.

Sigh - size absolutely is relevant. 7" tablets exist nit because they are a good form factor but because the screen is the most expensive component in a tablet. Vendors push them because it's the only way they can get near Apples's features and price.

So as any good marketer knows, tout your weakness as a strength and Bam! Problem solved!

For things where the iPad is too big, there is the iPod Touch. Looking for some other form factor device any time soon is going to be pretty fruitless. I'm not saying they will never do it. I just don't expect it for at least another couple of years.

First, they don't need it. Second, the great strength of iOS is the simplicity and predictability of the platform. A platform that is still growing and will be for some time. Now is not the time to muddy the waters with yet another form factor.
post #26 of 79
Hey! Apple Insider kicks up the hysteria a notch by calling it an actual, "iPad 3" Everyone else is going with, "iPad HD". What a country! (Yes, an obscure Yakov reference).
post #27 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

There's no point to a 7" iPad. Yet the Touch needs a re-think. Being as the Touch really isn't a smartphone, why force a smartphone form factor onto it.

Because, as an iPod, it needs to be pocketable.

And with the classic being killed off, the touch's form factor is demanded of it.

Quote:
If Apple were being honest they'd admit that the current screen on the Touch is a compromise that makes sense with a smartphone and not for a pocketable computer.

That and IT'S AN IPOD.

Quote:
4.7 inches

That's not pocketable at all. Not even Android phones get that big. And there's a reason for that.

Quote:
Given a choice between poor quality with a larger screen or a larger Touch, a lot would gravitate towards the Touch.

Given the choice between poor quality with a 4.5" screen or a 3.5" iPhone, people keep choosing the iPhone.

Wonder why. Don't think it has much to do with the size of the screen.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #28 of 79
Quote:
If they double DPI they get to make 'retina' claims, they avoid adding significant extra work for iOS devs and they compete with the high resolution models that Samsung have already announced they intend to ship this year.

Well images can scale down. You could have any resolution from 1.0 to 2.0 working with previously doubled images ( proportions being the same).
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #29 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by aknabi View Post

Yeah, I was in that secret trilateral WS meeting where guys with cigars said "we have to stop this iOS"... it's priority #1 and all that you hear on the street.

Your fanboi nonsense comment is beyond Baloney and three levels smellier than bull manure...

Then I'm sure if it comes out you're one of those loser fanbois that screams "I knew it all along... Apple magical innovation all the way for the win!"

Pathetic

This year, nada, zilch.

Now, the shysters are spouting new iPad. Come february, it will be production problems will push iPad 3 to June. They did it this year. On feb 22, bloomberg came out with news that production problems will push iPad 2 to June. On feb 23, invitations to the iPad 2 release were being sent out.
post #30 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post

I think the critical question of whether or not there will be a separate iPad HD line is one of costs, and to some extent, how aggressively Apple wants to continue to build out the user base.

The move to a double-resolution display in an iPad should certainly not be considered to be a lateral move. If I had to guess, I'd bet that because the screens were so much smaller, Apple was able to justify not raising the price of the iPhone4 when they introduced the Retina Display last year- but I'd warn against making that assumption for 2x iPad displays.

I'd wager a screen of that size with that resolution is going to be much more difficult and expensive to produce in large quantities. Is ANYONE making that resolution at that size right now? The point being that if there is a substantial ADDED component cost to the new display that cannot fit into the current iPad's price structure, then Apple may well decide to produce an iPad HD for those who might be willing to pay a $100 premium for the privilege. Some people don't want to hear it, but sometimes new technologies do cost more money.

The alternative scenario is that Apple is able to incorporate a Retina Display into the iPad without raising the price. If this were the case, I'd wonder if they wouldn't continue to sell iPad2s with the current screen at $100 less. If the entry level for this device goes from $499 to $399 [and I'd bet a lot of people won't care about the screen], then Apple stands to gain huge in the breadth of their potential market.

If Apple tries to market a more expensive iPad, the cost goes even higher. The reason is that we're talking about far fewer units which means the cost per unit increases that much more. You're being wildly optimistic in thinking Apple could deliver an iPad Plus for only $100 more. The cost would be much higher because such a device would sell in the thousands, not the millions we're seeing with the current iPad. And what of software development? After all, a small group of consumers would be in the market for software for the much higher resolution and that would make developing such software far less appealing. It's not a simple matter of ordering a bunch of HD screens and marketing the new device as an iPad +.
post #31 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

It's been suggested that the iPhone-4S rumours have arisen because iPhone-5 test phones were created that used modified iPhone-4 shells.

As much as I'd love to see Apple expand its line, I'm only interested in the top end model anyway as a consumer, so if this were true (and it'd make sense after last time's mishap with design), I'd be just as happy. Really I just want a redesigned iPhone 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post

My only contradition would be that if the Air, Mini, and MacPro see revs shortly after Lion, I doubt we'll see any more Mac updates until next year. They'll have run the whole product line in 2011, and I don't think there's another chipset to move to yet.

I agree, but I'd like to see the Macbook as well as the Air, Mini and Mac Pro updated before the Fall and if not - they're likely to come during the Fall. Well, we know Airs are just around the corner but as for the rest... who knows...
post #32 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakevin. View Post

I agree, but I'd like to see the Macbook as well as the Air, Mini and Mac Pro updated before the Fall and if not - they're likely to come during the Fall. Well, we know Airs are just around the corner but as for the rest... who knows...

The Mac Pro can't be, but the others certainly can/probably will.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #33 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because, as an iPod, it needs to be pocketable.

And with the classic being killed off, the touch's form factor is demanded of it.



That and IT'S AN IPOD.



That's not pocketable at all. Not even Android phones get that big. And there's a reason for that.



Given the choice between poor quality with a 4.5" screen or a 3.5" iPhone, people keep choosing the iPhone.

Wonder why. Don't think it has much to do with the size of the screen.

Sorry, I guess I should have said 4.5 inches because that extra .2 inches, evidently, is a dealbreaker. I don't think you have any idea how small a sub-five-inch device is. We're talking screen diagonal measure, not the dimensions of the device overall.
post #34 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Well images can scale down. You could have any resolution from 1.0 to 2.0 working with previously doubled images ( proportions being the same).

Sure but it will introduce significant aliasing, which is ugly.
post #35 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

If Apple tries to market a more expensive iPad, the cost goes even higher. The reason is that we're talking about far fewer units which means the cost per unit increases that much more. You're being wildly optimistic in thinking Apple could deliver an iPad Plus for only $100 more. The cost would be much higher because such a device would sell in the thousands, not the millions we're seeing with the current iPad.

It depends how different the assembly is for such an iPad-HD compared to the regular one. They already make many different models of iPad, but they're just variants on a basic design so it's not decreasing margins much.

The question comes down to the cost of the screen, if it added no more than the 3G connectivity then I don't think it would be a big problem at all, indeed I expect it would immediately become the top selling model.

Software development is less of an issue, so long as the screen is double the resolution then correctly written universal apps should just work unmodified. iPad only apps would just need double resolution bitmaps provided to benefit, but would display fine even without them.
post #36 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboonie View Post

Hey! Apple Insider kicks up the hysteria a notch by calling it an actual, "iPad 3" Everyone else is going with, "iPad HD". What a country! (Yes, an obscure Yakov reference).

I have always wanted a iPad pro.
post #37 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Sorry, I guess I should have said 4.5 inches because that extra .2 inches, evidently, is a dealbreaker. I don't think you have any idea how small a sub-five-inch device is. We're talking screen diagonal measure, not the dimensions of the device overall.

I know exactly how large they are. Not everyone has pockets the size of Wisconsin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGirl View Post

I have always wanted a iPad pro.

So buy an iPad with a Bluetooth keyboard or a MacBook Air.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #38 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by sziehr View Post

This Ipad 3 HD will not drop this year. They are using there billions of dollars to stock pile pre-made ipad 3's this time for the feb launch like last year. This time they figure if they build them for 6 months before launch they will meet the insane demand this time out of the gates.

That's absurd. There's no way they would be stockpiling a product for 8 months before release. If they were producing them today, they would certainly want to get them to market before Christmas - and possibly for back to school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

An iPad HD would have a superior crushing effect on the competition during the holiday shopping season. Beyond that there is lots of room in Apples line up for more iOS devices.

I don't know if the technology is there yet, but if it is, it might be of interest to some people.

However, I'm not sure it would be as big a deal as some tech geeks think. The entire point of the iPad line is 'simple, elegant, reliable, capable'. Adding a HD screen as an option goes against that. It doesn't really improve any of those things, except (maybe) capability. What would and HD iPad do that a regular one wouldn't? Not a heck of a lot. In fact, other than the tiny number of people who do CAD and/or photo editing on the iPad, it's not clear that there's any advantage. And given that you need more RAM and a heftier processor (or else you have to give up performance if you keep the same processor), it might actually be a disadvantage. Apple doesn't like differentiating products purely on specs.

That said, I think there IS a potential market for an iPad PRO. Apple is far more likely to differentiate the product by its intended market than its specs. They could offer an iPad pro with an HD screen targeted at graphics users, CAD users, serious action gamers, people doing text-intensive work, and so on. Because it's used by pros rather than casual users, the shorter battery life that you might get from the higher density screen, faster processor, and greater RAM might be acceptable (pro users are less likely to be operating for long periods away from a power source).

Plus, that enables them to obtain higher margins. A quad core processor doesn't cost much more than a dual core and doubling the RAM wouldn't be horribly expensive. But most of the components remain the same (case, backlight, battery, motherboard, etc), so the total cost might only go up 10% or so while the selling price would probably go up 20-30%.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #39 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Size has nothing to do with the failures in the market place at the moment. Using your logic the iPod Touch would be a failure. It would be far better to wake up to the reality that iPad is awfully big for some uses.

I think your desire to beat somebody over the head has got the better of you. You know well that both 3.5" devices (iPod touch) and 10" devices selling well can hardly be taken as an indicator that any intermediate size will also sell well. And you also know well that not all sizes will be prove to be practical and popular in the long run. Thus why claim that size has nothing to do with success? I can only guess, but I would assume that you meant to say that size had less to do with the success of the 7" tablets than the previous poster implied.
But the words 'has less to do' simply weren't a big enough stick, so you used 'nothing to do', which charitably could be called overstating the facts or just a flat out lie (but I guess I lie that is so obviously a lie, isn't really a lie but just a rhetorical tool, though an unpleasant and brutish tool).
post #40 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakevin. View Post

My prediction - iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S/Lite and no new iPod Touch or iPad.

Why would Apple not update the iPod touch to the iPhone 5 internals? It has done so now for four years and not doing so just headaches in terms of OS and app compatibility.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple rumored to add second manufacturer for 'iPad 3' production this fall
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple rumored to add second manufacturer for 'iPad 3' production this fall