or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft plans to counter Apple by building 75 retail stores in 2-3 years
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft plans to counter Apple by building 75 retail stores in 2-3 years - Page 3

post #81 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

As with so many things, it's complicated. Analysts can calculate Apple's average Sales/sq-ft because Apple does publish it's total retail revenues.

I don't see what makes it so complicated. Most companies that move so much retail merchandise don't really move a significant fraction any other way (unlike Apple). So go ahead and use their total revenue in the numerator. I bet you still find out that Apple beats them on the revenue per square foot metric.

Thompson
post #82 of 114
I may eat my words some day, but I would rather kill myself than work in a Microsoft retail store. And that's not because I'm an Apple "fanboy" or whatever. It's just... so wrong. Corporate IT ok. But Microsoft as hip and cool retail? The thought just makes me want to throw up.
post #83 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

there is some empty space in the san francisco metreon that might be a good spot for a microsoft store.

oh, wait, that's why it's empty to begin with. it was already a microsoft store from 99-01. never mind.

Sony Centre at the SF Metreon was one of the fun places to hang out... Ten years ago. It was certainly more engaging and nice than trying to buy anything from CompUSA on Market St. Although if you were in the city CompUSA had a whole range of peripherals you need... Plus Macs.

A decade later, it's Apple Retail Store or GTFO.
post #84 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtkane View Post

Now, 75 is too much, but 324, last time I checked, is a lot more than 75

/sarcasm

And in two years time it will be 420 Apple stores instead of 324.
post #85 of 114
Sounds like a good idea to me. People repeatedly say Apple are doing better as they have the complete customer experiance, or that MS can never beat Apple again as they make so much more from each sale. More stores means MS can move from people buying a PC that has Windows on it, to buying a Windows PC from Microsoft that had the hardware made by someone else.

It's a subtle switch round, but just think Apple don't make the iPhone hardware. MS would ultimately be better off if they sell the devices as they could make a much larger percentage of each sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilson811 View Post

I was thinking about the Genius Bar as well. What will they do when they have irate customers show up at the store? Are they going to service their existing Windows etc. customers through the channel. Sounds like a poorly devised plan by a desperate CEO to me!

I would assume they would just do the same thing as the Apple Genius bar. Tell you your device is out of waranty and they can sell you a new one for £10 less from their service department, however it will only have a 1 month warranty or pay the full price and have a year warrenty.
post #86 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

You are as wrong in your assumption that I am American as you are in essentially every other way.

Good grief! Where did I assert that you are American? Grow up!
post #87 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Oh, yeah. Australia is a manufacturing mecca. You're really one to talk.

What an intelligent comment - for an idiot!
post #88 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldfullerton View Post

I am Australian so I couldn't care less if America wants to have a 9.2% unemployment rate, and if I can buy nearly twice as many US$ with an AU$ as I could a few years ago, and if Apple products are now much cheaper here.

But I can assure you if I was an American I would want to see the full benefits of Steve Jobs genius being reflected in a lower unemployment rate and a better trade balance with Asia. But I guess you guys are so committed to the 'cheaper is better' philosophy that drives companies like Microsoft, that more manufacturing jobs in America is not an issue! Just don't complain if the USA has to default on its US$14 trillion debt - at least you will be able to buy cheap Apple products made overseas if you manage to keep your jobs!

From what I read on the internet it seems that returning jobs to home is a trent in the U.S. I even read that a company found out that its products could be produced locally (in the same town) at 1.5 times the cost of the Chinese production but without the quality issues and delayed delivery times it was used to.
And it seems that Foxconn is shifting a large part of its production to Brazil and thats at least on the same continent as the U.S.
But I'am not sure it will bring a lot of jobs back to he U.S. because the production will be highly automated and require few (if any) workers. Building the factories will be a lot of work, but only for a few years or so.

J.
post #89 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

snark aside, the real question is whether the MS Store’s “technical specialists” really provide useful help to Windows users. that is the one really valuable customer service that is worth opening a store for, and so will help MS compete with Apple.

Very useful for everyone except Microsoft. Imagine 75 retail stores staffed by people who are ,ainly busy cleaning up Windows machines, downloading .Net updates for customers, configuring their antivirus, and explaining how that new ribbon interface in their Word installation works. That's going to make Microsoft MILLIONS!
post #90 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldfullerton View Post

All you guys have to do now is to convince Apple to manufacture it's amazing range of products in America rather than exporting all those manufacturing jobs to Asia - but why should I care if you Americans prefer to buy cheap products manufactured overseas rather than have secure jobs!

Why would Apple want to do that? Why would any company these days want to do that? China has not become the world's manufacturing colossus for no reason, it's because all these public companies are legally required to maximise shareholder returns. That means increased profits. That means, all other things being equal, lower costs. That means ... China. Or another Asian country.

Remember that America's dominance in world trade and the IMF and the trade rules in place in many countries (all of which it instigated) now mean that none of those countries can legally give preference to home grown suppliers. Here in the UK, the last remaining train manufacturer, Bombadier, looks likely to fold losing over 1,400 jobs in the process because the contract is going elsewhere. The UK government, assuming that they wanted to, cannot legally prefer a UK supplier under current trade rules, they have to tender and get "the best price".

Up until about the mid 80s, Marks & Spencer, possibly the UK's largest high street clothes retailer used to proudly state in all its stores, "95% of our good are British made". Those signs can no longer be seen and I would challenge anyone these days to find even 5% of goods in M&S stores to be British made. China, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Mexico - yes. Britain - no. The UK's garment manufacturing industry has been cut by about 2/3 and who knows how much longer that 1/3 will remain?

America has shaped a world, in which pretty much each country in the entire West, has decimated its own industries so that manufacturing can be outsourced to the cheapest bidder. Apple is just another part of that global process.

"As ye sow, so shall ye reap" I believe the phrase goes.
post #91 of 114
when I said above that "none of those countries can legally give preference to home grown suppliers" what I meant was that government/public bodies cannot make a local preference
post #92 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

there is some empty space in the san francisco metreon that might be a good spot for a microsoft store.

oh, wait, that's why it's empty to begin with. it was already a microsoft store from 99-01. never mind.

Brilliant post!
post #93 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

From what I read on the internet it seems that returning jobs to home is a trent in the U.S. I even read that a company found out that its products could be produced locally (in the same town) at 1.5 times the cost of the Chinese production but without the quality issues and delayed delivery times it was used to.
And it seems that Foxconn is shifting a large part of its production to Brazil and thats at least on the same continent as the U.S.
But I'am not sure it will bring a lot of jobs back to he U.S. because the production will be highly automated and require few (if any) workers. Building the factories will be a lot of work, but only for a few years or so.

J.

Foxconn is not shifting production to Brazil. They are expanding to Brazil. Shifting production does not increase capacity, but expanding does. What Foxconn needs is additional capacity to meet the surging demand for Apple products in China.
post #94 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Likeke View Post

MeToSoft innovates again!

Wrong MeTooSoft plans to innovate again.
post #95 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

I don't see what makes it so complicated. Most companies that move so much retail merchandise don't really move a significant fraction any other way (unlike Apple). So go ahead and use their total revenue in the numerator. I bet you still find out that Apple beats them on the revenue per square foot metric.

Thompson

It's complicated because Apple's average revenue/sq-ft is almost certainly less than high end retailers like Tiffany, but Apple's peak revenue/sq-ft is probably more - though we have only very rough estimates.
post #96 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldfullerton View Post

Good grief! Where did I assert that you are American? Grow up!

When you responded to me and said 'you americans' in practically every sentence. For an australian your english language skills are rather poor. Allow me to explain, when you respond to a person the 2-nd person pronoun 'you' is understood by the reader to mean or at the very least include the person to whom you are responding.

You lefty trolls are idiots.

See how that works?
post #97 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

But it will help the economy by spreading that M$ money around for rentals, contractors, employees, etc.

No, they will not get any return on investment as expected, but who cares?

That's exactly what I was thinking! The good news is that it gives some builders/renovators/fitters some work for a little while, and probably even more when the store fails and someone else has to move in!
post #98 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilson811 View Post

I was thinking about the Genius Bar as well. What will they do when they have irate customers show up at the store? Are they going to service their existing Windows etc. customers through the channel. Sounds like a poorly devised plan by a desperate CEO to me!

Has your PC had a near death experience? well bring it on down to the Microsoft WIndows Store 7 for a little bit or retail therapy and talk to our Computer Repair Action Personnel.
post #99 of 114
i wonder if Microsoft plans on manufacturing its own hardware too?
the xbox is extremely successful because of that approach. could be that a store front is the place to try out the new Microsoft desktop or laptop.

Apple is super successful because the hardware works with the OS perfectly.
post #100 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

i wonder if Microsoft plans on manufacturing its own hardware too?
the xbox is extremely successful because of that approach. could be that a store front is the place to try out the new Microsoft desktop or laptop.

Apple is super successful because the hardware works with the OS perfectly.

It hasn't been an entirely happy experience for MS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_of_Death

These issues were alleged to be the end results of the decisions of management in Microsoft's Xbox team and inadequate testing resources prior to the console's release. A second source cited that, at one time, there was just a 32% yield of one of the test production runs. 68 of every 100 test units were found to be defective.

I guess you could argue that defective hardware is the perfect companion for defective software though
post #101 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

It's complicated because Apple's average revenue/sq-ft is almost certainly less than high end retailers like Tiffany, but Apple's peak revenue/sq-ft is probably more - though we have only very rough estimates.

I've been seeing links like the following for years...

http://seekingalpha.com/#article/229...r-square-foot/

Supposedly, Apple put Tiffany's in the rearview mirror a few years back (on this metric). And they've only gotten better.

Thompson
post #102 of 114
It sums up, in a way that only a picture can, why their days are numbered: look at the colors, the canned graphics. The echo of Ballmer in the design sense and the headline.

Understand, I think they're a massive engineering company. And it's not like I hate Windows. I use it every day at work. But look at the PR graphic that somebody from Corporate -- Mr. Ballmer himself? -- and you know why MSFT has always been uncool, no matter how decent a Windows computer actually is.
post #103 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft plans to massively expand its retail presence in the U.S. in the next 2 to 3 years, with an aggressive goal of 75 new stores to take on Apple's own retail operations.

And one will visit such a store for what exactly?
post #104 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Supposedly, Apple put Tiffany's in the rearview mirror a few years back (on this metric). And they've only gotten better.

Thompson

The key word in that sentence is 'supposedly'. Apple aren't saying what their highest stores are grossing, their 5th Avenue store could very plausibly be beating Tiffany, but it's not a certain fact - it's just analyst chatter.
post #105 of 114
post #106 of 114
In other news, Apple led U.S. retail growth in the first quarter of calendar 2011, accounting for a whopping 20 percent of all sales growth by publicly traded American retailers during the three-month period.
post #107 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Has your PC had a near death experience? well bring it on down to the Microsoft WIndows Store 7 for a little bit or retail therapy and talk to our Computer Repair Action Personnel.

Computer Repair Action Personnel.... Computer Repair Action Personnel..... hmmmm. CRAP. Yes.

Reminds me of National Public Radio and a program called Cartalk. One year I donated during the pledge drive and received my 'gift' in the mail with "Cartalk Roadside Assistance Package" blazoned on the outside of the package in something like 48 pt font. It really was just a bunch of crap and Tom & Ray were actually proud that it was just crap.
post #108 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

The key word in that sentence is 'supposedly'. Apple aren't saying what their highest stores are grossing, their 5th Avenue store could very plausibly be beating Tiffany, but it's not a certain fact - it's just analyst chatter.

Dude! Look at your original response, which indicated that Apple was saying but the others weren't...

======
As with so many things, it's complicated. Analysts can calculate Apple's average Sales/sq-ft because Apple does publish it's total retail revenues. It's a bit more than $4000/sq-ft, which is pretty huge already.

http://www.theiospost.com/latest/201...il-stores.html

The Tiffany comparison is from this story http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aK4TfewPa37M. Which is basically a real estate guy pulling a number out of the air.
=====

That was YOU claiming that Apple's average retail sales were known, and u know that to be true. And that was YOU claiming that Tiffany's numbers were just hear say from some real estate agent. Apparently your argument has changed to make the Apple numbers more opaque. NOW this is ME, asserting that BOTH Apple's and Tiffany's total retail revenues and store sizes are comOletely known and that the metric clearly shows that Apple is the worldwide leader on this metric.
post #109 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Has your PC had a near death experience? well bring it on down to the Microsoft WIndows Store 7 for a little bit or retail therapy and talk to our Computer Repair Action Personnel.

I worked for an outfit that did a lot of fiber optic telephony and we had a group that went to potential customers (telcos) to install demo systems with live customers (homes & businesses). The group was called the Product Introduction Support Team). Our boss actually had a stencil made of the initials that was inked on all our test devices, large tools, canvas carrying cases, etc. What an embarrassment at the airports dragging a tool box labeled PIST.
post #110 of 114
Some one at Microsoft is going to think they are brilliant and they are going to call their in store technical help desk the Start Button - with a big logo of the Windows Start Button behind the desk and no text - continuing the tradition of confusing customers as to exactly what the purpose of the Start Button is and when they should visit it.

On the plus side they can save some time by laminating under the glass a document that says:

1. Did you reboot?
2. Did you reinstall the program?
3. DId you run Windows update?
4. Did you contact the hardware vendor?
5. Did you contact the software vendor?
6. Did you repeat steps 1 through 3?
7. Please press the Start Button.

But then people will be confused because item 7 is a play on words of sorts - meaning make an appointment to engage the technical staff at the store not to press the start button on their computer.

Would be hilarious if half the users who use their tech staff ask about things like getting their iPod to sync and copying their music folder from the Windows to their new Mac etc.
post #111 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Some one at Microsoft is going to think they are brilliant and they are going to call their in store technical help desk the Start Button - with a big logo of the Windows Start Button behind the desk and no text - continuing the tradition of confusing customers as to exactly what the purpose of the Start Button is and when they should visit it.

On the plus side they can save some time by laminating under the glass a document that says:

1. Did you reboot?
2. Did you reinstall the program?
3. DId you run Windows update?
4. Did you contact the hardware vendor?
5. Did you contact the software vendor?
6. Did you repeat steps 1 through 3?
7. Please press the Start Button.

But then people will be confused because item 7 is a play on words of sorts - meaning make an appointment to engage the technical staff at the store not to press the start button on their computer.

Would be hilarious if half the users who use their tech staff ask about things like getting their iPod to sync and copying their music folder from the Windows to their new Mac etc.

chuckle - giggle - ROFLMAO! Excellent.

Some people will wonder why they weren't asked to press whatever that classic key combo is (control-alt-escape?) or why they weren't told to press the "enny" key.

The Genius Bar as a Start Button - an instant classic! Thanks for making my Friday.
post #112 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

chuckle - giggle - ROFLMAO! Excellent.

Some people will wonder why they weren't asked to press whatever that classic key combo is (control-alt-escape?) or why they weren't told to press the "enny" key.

The Genius Bar as a Start Button - an instant classic! Thanks for making my Friday.

definitely should have added did you press Ctlr-Alt-Del and did you press Escape - then they spend half their day explaining that Escape is the button labeled Esc and no no Control-Alt-Del is the same as Ctlr - no, no you have to push all three buttons as the same time.
post #113 of 114
My first reaction to the news was; what are they going to sell?!
Cardboard boxes for software that Apple has the better equivalent of for download at the Appstore, at a lower price, more conveniently?
Crappy, overproduced keyboards and mice?
Other peoples computers?
post #114 of 114
Apple = Monsanto.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft plans to counter Apple by building 75 retail stores in 2-3 years