or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iOS 4.3.4 to address PDF security hole

Apple releases iOS 4.3.4 to address PDF security hole

post #1 of 61
Apple on Friday released an update to its iOS mobile operating system for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, addressing a potentially dangerous security flaw related to viewing PDF files in the Mobile Safari Web browser.

iOS 4.3.4 can be downloaded and installed to any currently supported iOS-based devices by connecting to iTunes and choosing to update. Apple has characterized the latest software as a security update, and does not contain any new features or fixes.

The update is available for the GSM iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, iPad, and third- and fourth-generation iPod touch. Another firmware, iOS 4.2.9, is also available for the CDMA iPhone 4 for Verizon users.

The update comes just over a week after Apple announced it would release a fix for the security flaw, and less than 10 days after the issue was given widespread attention.

The update plugs a hole that could allow a hacker to utilize a maliciously crafted PDF file to gain access to a user's system. Visiting a site with this exploit could lead to unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution.

Apple said this is because a buffer overflow exists in FreeType's handling of TrueType fonts, and a signedness issue exists in FreeType's handling of Type 1 fonts.

The update also reportedly contains a patch for iOS's IOMobileFrameBuffer. Apple said the new software addresses an invalid type conversion issue, which could allow malicious code running as the user to gain system privileges.

The PDF exploit became known last week, after hackers utilized it to offer a browser-based "jailbreak" of iOS devices. "Jailbreak" is the term used to describe exploiting flaws in iOS code to allow users to run software that is not approved by Apple.

While those behind the jailbreakme.com site did not create it with malicious intent, it's possible that a more nefarious hacker could release an exploit that, when visited by a user, could allow unsigned code to be run on an iPhone or iPad without the user's permission or even knowledge.
post #2 of 61
Edit: nevermind they have an update for CDMA users too. I'm gonna download it real quick
post #3 of 61
Thank God one of the advertised "features" of the Google phones is that you can root them!

Wait a minute. If you can root them, can't somebody else, for less "it's my phone!' motives? Or, wait, somebody sending you a malicious pdf can make it HIS phone.

It's always seemed a strange, quixotic belief, those who buy phones to jailbreak them.
post #4 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstar2007 View Post

Looks like your still SOL if you have the CDMA version....

No, there is an update 4.2.9 for CDMA phones.
post #5 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post

Thank God one of the advertised "features" of the Google phones is that you can root them!

Wait a minute. If you can root them, can't somebody else, for less "it's my phone!' motives? Or, wait, somebody sending you a malicious pdf can make it HIS phone.

It's always seemed a strange, quixotic belief, those who buy phones to jailbreak them.

Well there's a difference between OS supported rooting that requires an explicit user approval and a hacked rooting that just requires downloading a PDF. The former is a feature, the latter is most definitely a bug.
post #6 of 61
Well I am sure a few million people, myself included, took advantage of this easy method to update the version number of our software and keep our phones jail broken and unlocked.
post #7 of 61
Fortunately, nobody has tried to exploit this bug to install malware, or even worse, brick iPhones. A malicious person could have easily done this.
post #8 of 61
I saw red text, 'Apple releases...' and soiled my pants thinking it was about Lion!
post #9 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

I saw red text, 'Apple releases...' and soiled my pants thinking it was about Lion!

Yeah, I don't think this was worthy of a 'red' update myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Well I am sure a few million people, myself included, took advantage of this easy method to update the version number of our software and keep our phones jail broken and unlocked.

I was excited to hear about the flaw. I lost my jailbreak when I upgraded my 3G to a 4G a few months ago. The 3G was super easy to jailbreak in place; the 4G normally requires a full restore to jailbreak. This flaw allowed me to install Cydia in a matter of seconds. Love it!

FWIW, the only thing I use that requires a Jailbreak is SBSettings. I love being able to disable WiFi (or change brightness settings) with a swipe and a tap. With the 3G it was critical because it was the only way to lock rotation.

There are tons of plugins for SBSettings allowing instant toggles for Airplane mode, 3G, etc. Plus the process icon allows for easy termination of apps...
post #10 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

I don't know about soiling my pants, but I thought it was Lion too.

This sucks.
post #11 of 61
Don't Plug i-tunes cable .lol
post #12 of 61
this proves that there has been no movement of 4.3.xxx for the CDMA Verizon iphone. Apple could have told verizon there was no fix for 4.2.X and forced them to allow the 4.3.4,
post #13 of 61
As a long time open source user I value the platforms out there that permit open installation of software. Especially on stuff I want to hack on myself.

My iPhone has quickly become a critical piece of hardware and I actually appreciat Apples efforts to keep it free of crap wear. Do I want all of the hardware world to go this route - absolutely not! The thing is once you realize that the little guy in your pocket is a money maker you really don't want to screw with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post

A very serious problem if you ask me. Android is full of holes and can be exploited anytime.
Quote:

Well it can be a great toy. I guess it depends upon how important the phone is to you. I won't jailbreak my carry phone but might jailbreak the iPad if the right reason came around. The unfortunate part about jailbreaking is that many just see it as a way to steal software.
post #14 of 61
I love these jailbreak topics - another entertaining day in the dumbing down of Apple's customer base where ignorance is bliss in showing just how obtuse Apple customers have become since the introduction of the iPod -

Whoa!
post #15 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

... ...

Now *that* is ugly.

Also pretty much useless unless you like tinkering with stuff. The only things I need quick access to are the task list and the brightness and both are provided in iOS with "a swipe and (button) tap."

People who have to turn their Wi-Fi on and off or their Bluetooth on and off on a phone are "doing it wrong" IMO. The whole point of the phone is that it's all handled automatically and unless you are using the phone for some unusual things most people's phones will run a day or more without a charge already so there isn't really a need to save power.
post #16 of 61
[QUOTE=wizard69;1901185] Android is full of holes and can be exploited anytime. /QUOTE]

I've seen no evidence that Android can be easily exploited. Nor that it's "full of holes", whatever that means. Are you referring to security holes? If so, what are they? Anything similar to the PDF or IOMobileFrameBuffer security issues that Apple released a patch for today?

There's no need to post FUD to make Apple look superior to Android. In many ways it is. Security is not one of those ways IMO.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #17 of 61
[QUOTE=Gatorguy;1901204]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Android is full of holes and can be exploited anytime. /QUOTE]

I've seen no evidence that Android can be easily exploited. Nor that it's "full of holes", whatever that means. Are you referring to security holes? If so, what are they? Anything similar to the PDF or IOMobileFrameBuffer security issues that Apple released a patch for today?

There's no need to post FUD to make Apple look superior to Android. In many ways it is. Security is not one of those ways IMO.

It's no secret that Android has been a target for malware attacks..that one cannot deny. BUT the key is to look in any article that mentions such usually contains an "When Installed" phrase somewhere. Android is not going to be remotely taken from you over a cellular network unless you the user allow it to and give permissions.

If you are gullible enough to Fall for the random PDF or file gimmick, do yourself a favor and get an Iphone...save yourself the trouble.
post #18 of 61
Might be ugly, but Apple is incorporating some of this same functionality into iOS 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Now *that* is ugly.

Also pretty much useless unless you like tinkering with stuff. The only things I need quick access to are the task list and the brightness and both are provided in iOS with "a swipe and (button) tap."

People who have to turn their Wi-Fi on and off or their Bluetooth on and off on a phone are "doing it wrong" IMO. The whole point of the phone is that it's all handled automatically and unless you are using the phone for some unusual things most people's phones will run a day or more without a charge already so there isn't really a need to save power.
post #19 of 61
I know this sucks for jailbreakers, but thank goodness that .pdf exploit has been fixed.
post #20 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Might be ugly, but Apple is incorporating some of this same functionality into iOS 5.

You mean exposing it.
post #21 of 61
Quote:

Now *that* is ugly.

Oh I have to disagree. I don't think it's ugly at all. Besides, this is just one of countless themes (and not the default one either).

Quote:

Brightness may be available with a quick swipe and tap on the iPad, but it's not on the iPhone. The process list allows you to also kill persistent apps, like Mail. Not so necessary on the newer phones, but it saved me from a lot of reboots on my 3G where memory was at a premium. It also has a 'free up memory' button that cleans up some heap.

Quote:

It's not just a matter of saving power, although I do tend to shut BT down frequently when I know I won't be using it (like when I travel where I may not be as close to power as I normally am, and where I don't have a car with a hands-free kit installed).

I don't always want to take the time to "accept the agreement" at a Starbucks to quickly check my email while I'm standing in line for coffee. At work our WiFi requires us to sign in to VPN, and I don't always have my token handy. In cases like this, it's easier to just switch over to 3G, and it's much faster to do that using a swipe and tap than it is to dig in to the system preferences panel. Sometimes 3G coverage is spotty, so I switch over to EDGE. As long as it's available with a swipe, I might as well avoid the system preferences panel.
post #22 of 61
Quote:

Now *that* is ugly.

It's not pretty but it sure is useful. I've been wanting something similar from Apple. When you double-tap or triple-tap the Home Button I'd like a list of these oft used settings to be instantly available.

There could even be a limit to the number with a settings within Settings to choose from a list and prioritize them in the user's preferred topdown positions.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #23 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmallon View Post

this proves that there has been no movement of 4.3.xxx for the CDMA Verizon iphone. Apple could have told verizon there was no fix for 4.2.X and forced them to allow the 4.3.4,

Do you know why 4.3.x is being held up? Why would Verizon do this? I have a Vz iPhone and it's confusing to me.
post #24 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

Do you know why 4.3.x is being held up? Why would Verizon do this? I have a Vz iPhone and it's confusing to me.

I've wondered aloud about this many times. The CDMA capabilities are obviously there with 4.3.x, since the Verizon iPad has it, but for some reason, it is not available for the phone. I don't know if it has something to do with voice calls over a CDMA network, which the iPad obviously does not have to deal with, but that is the only things that I can even think of that could make things a little more problematic, and even then, how much harder can it be?
post #25 of 61
Quote:

There are tons of plugins for SBSettings allowing instant toggles for Airplane mode, 3G, etc. Plus the process icon allows for easy termination of apps...

That looks very useful. Yes it's hardly Apple level beauty but it's functionality that advanced users would love to see in the official iOS builds. That said, I've just deleted a whole paragraph trying to justify why I'd want those things and struggled to make a good case. I guess Apple write those paragraphs too and when they delete them, it tells them something about what they should leave out of their products to keep them focussed, something Android's developers and implementers seem utterly unable to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcarswell View Post

I love these jailbreak topics - another entertaining day in the dumbing down of Apple's customer base where ignorance is bliss in showing just how obtuse Apple customers have become since the introduction of the iPod -

Whoa!

This is one of those snivelling, annoying posts that adds nothing to the conversation and insults those who happen to share Apple's design ethos. It's not 'dumbed-down' or 'obtuse' to be content with a device that works superbly.

Quote:

Now *that* is ugly.

It is ugly, but not hideous.

To call it useless is a bit of a stretch. There are times when you can't be sure you will be able to charge your phone for a few days. A camping trip for instance. It'd be quite embarrassing to have your iPhone die on Sunday morning while your Androidistas mocked you and that tool lets you keep the phone under control. That said, you're quite right that *most* of the time the options on that panel are unnecessary tinkering. For day to day use when you know you'll be home that night with a charger by your bed, I have found most people worry far too much about battery life. It's a long time since my iPhone ran out of battery within a day of a full charge.

Quote:

Android is full of holes and can be exploited anytime. /QUOTE]

Agree to disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It's no secret that Android has been a target for malware attacks..that one cannot deny. BUT the key is to look in any article that mentions such usually contains an "When Installed" phrase somewhere. Android is not going to be remotely taken from you over a cellular network unless you the user allow it to and give permissions.

If you are gullible enough to Fall for the random PDF or file gimmick, do yourself a favor and get an Iphone...save yourself the trouble.

This is missing the point. You are unlikely to be a victim of a malware attack because you know what you're doing. I know what I'm doing. My dad doesn't, my mum doesn't, my girlfriend doesn't, my grandparents don't, my boss at work doesn't etc. etc. It's all very well to call people gullible, but the fact is not everyone in society hangs about on AI forums and keeps au fait with current security threats; they just use their phones.

I'm assuming most of us are mac users and don't have this problem, but one of the most irritating aspects of Windows is the brazen alarmism and shameful exaggeration that goes on with security software. Reputable companies have windows pop up telling you 'Your computer is AT RISK!' that scare the granny who bought the computer to Skype her grandkids half to death. These aren't technical users. They don't know the different between a Symantec pop-up and a scam pop-up.

At some point the internet community is going to have to wake up to the fact that the majority of people using the internet and smartphones in 2011 are not tech-minded people. They're all sorts of people now. A good technology company will make a product that defends its users from attacks. It's just not good enough to tell users to fend for themselves and call them gullible if they fall for a trap that would not have been laid had it not had any chance of success. You and I close illicit pop-ups, my 70-something dad just clicks and gets frustrated because he wants to read the article he was after etc. He's not tech-minded, he doesn't care about these issues. He's a highly intelligent man with a career in college lecturing behind him. Not everyone who falls for scam like a trojan app is a gullible fool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You mean exposing it.

I don't think that's fair. I can't think of any piece of new UI that Apple's added to iOS that hasn't made a lot of sense. They go slow (REALLY slow) with new additions precisely to avoid adding clutter.

Quote:

I don't always want to take the time to "accept the agreement" at a Starbucks to quickly check my email while I'm standing in line for coffee. At work our WiFi requires us to sign in to VPN, and I don't always have my token handy. In cases like this, it's easier to just switch over to 3G, and it's much faster to do that using a swipe and tap than it is to dig in to the system preferences panel. Sometimes 3G coverage is spotty, so I switch over to EDGE. As long as it's available with a swipe, I might as well avoid the system preferences panel.

I highly recommend you turn off 'ask to join new networks' under settings. This will remove your problem with the WiFI pop-ups. It still joins known networks automatically.
post #26 of 61
Quote:

As a long time open source user I value the platforms out there that permit open installation of software. Especially on stuff I want to hack on myself.

My iPhone has quickly become a critical piece of hardware and I actually appreciat Apples efforts to keep it free of crap wear. Do I want all of the hardware world to go this route - absolutely not! The thing is once you realize that the little guy in your pocket is a money maker you really don't want to screw with it.

A very serious problem if you ask me. Android is full of holes and can be exploited anytime.

Well it can be a great toy. I guess it depends upon how important the phone is to you. I won't jailbreak my carry phone but might jailbreak the iPad if the right reason came around. The unfortunate part about jailbreaking is that many just see it as a way to steal software.

I don't think I have met a single jailbreak that didn't include pirated software. But to each their own. Personally I like the security my information enjoys by not hacking my phone.
post #27 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcarswell View Post

Whoa!

Enlighten us oh wise one! Free us from the shadow of ignorance that assials us! A critical security hole was fixed, people are happy about it, where's the problem?
post #28 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radjin View Post

I don't think I have met a single jailbreak that didn't include pirated software.

Never met me, then.
post #29 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMAIR View Post

Don't Plug i-tunes cable .lol

lol

I JB my iP4 for ONE reason. The carriers in Japan suck. SoftBank they makes you sign two contracts if you want to use an iPhone and 3G iPad. Hell no I'm not going to pay $100/month for a phone bill then another $50 - $100 month for an iPad. You kiddin' me?

So instead of them stickin' it to me, I stick it to them and tether my iPhone & iPad with MyWi. Works beautifully. You even get the proper universal tethering icon in the network list. In saying that, I've found that I'm not really using tethering as much as I thought. However it's nice to know that I have it for free.

I have to commend the Canadian industry. The first to have factory unlocked iPhones and the carriers let you share data on one contract between any device you own. Very nice indeed.
post #30 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifan View Post

I know this sucks for jailbreakers, but thank goodness that .pdf exploit has been fixed.

Nope, nothing sucks for jailbreakers. They just have to stay on 4.3.3 and use PDF Patcher 2 through Cydia to fix the security issue.

Admittedly, iOS 5 will be the next challenge... But jailbreakers probably won't be upgrading to that 'till the end of the year and will probably consider all the benefits and iOS 5.x updates before upgrading and losing their jailbreak. But an iOS 5 jailbreak might be out by the end of the year.

Currently iOS 4.3.3 and 4.3.4 is a win-win for both stock users and jailbreakers... Except sadly, for the developers whose apps are pirated - though keep in mind jailbreaking does not equal pirating.
post #31 of 61
Quote:

Now *that* is ugly.

Just use the Serious SBSettings HD theme... The only way to ride, I reckon. I use SBSettings on my iPhone for Brightness (it is slightly faster this way), turning off 3G and turning on WiFi. I don't think I'm "doing it wrong", I only turn on 3G when I really need it, using WiFi most of the time eg. at home, maybe at work. This makes my battery go from 1.5 days to 3 days. Not trivial. Feels good to go 3 days without having to charge an iPhone. Sometimes useful to see my IP address, I can see if I'm connected properly to 3G data at a glance, and when connected to WiFi looking at the IP address I can tell if I've connected to the "correct" base station (I use a few).

Also you can access SBSettings without having to unlock your iPhone.

For the record, jailbreaking is not for everyone and not without its risks. Also, I don't pirate apps and don't think that pirating apps is good.

post #32 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Nope, nothing sucks for jailbreakers. They just have to stay on 4.3.3 and use PDF Patcher 2 through Cydia to fix the security issue.

And I think it only affects the JailbreakMe.com exploit. I bet the standard JB methods are still open.

PS: I'm typing this from a jailbroken iPhone 4 running iOS 5.0b2 and all apps are paid for, even my Cydia apps.
post #33 of 61
Is this the Delta update or they will launch it with iOS 5?
post #34 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari5 View Post

Is this the Delta update or they will launch it with iOS 5?

iOS4 does not support delta updates. iOS5 will support delta updates after you update your handset/device to iOS5.
post #35 of 61
Quote:

you should try syscleanpro
it lets you delete all the foreign language files
i noticed you only have hdd free of 113mb
mine has 467, so that's almost ipad memory available to run applications
post #36 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifan View Post

actually the jailbreakers had this fix before the people who don't jailbreak
i jailbroke my iphone and installed the pdf fix
and why would it suck?
i won't update to 4.3.4
but what am i missing?
the pdf fix?
i already have that
post #37 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Never met me, then.

Likewise - I have no pirated apps on my phone either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

So instead of them stickin' it to me, I stick it to them and tether my iPhone & iPad with MyWi. Works beautifully. You even get the proper universal tethering icon in the network list. In saying that, I've found that I'm not really using tethering as much as I thought. However it's nice to know that I have it for free.

Be careful doing this. The wireless carriers can see what you're doing. AT&T has been catching up with MyWi users here in the states for the past few months, informing people who tether without a plan that the tethering plan will automatically be added to their account if they continue to see the activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Just use the Serious SBSettings HD theme...

Oh I like that. Switched

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post

you should try syscleanpro

Thanks for the heads up - I'll look in to that. I do occasionally hit sites with Hiragana and Kanji however...
post #38 of 61
Quote:

Be careful doing this. The wireless carriers can see what you're doing. AT&T has been catching up with MyWi users here in the states for the past few months, informing people who tether without a plan that the tethering plan will automatically be added to their account if they continue to see the activity.

SoftBank isn't AT&T. Not every carrier is as much of a whore as AT&T is.
post #39 of 61
Apple should stop supporting PDF because it was created by Adobe.
post #40 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Apple should stop supporting PDF because it was created by Adobe.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iOS 4.3.4 to address PDF security hole