or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Leaked images show Apple's new Thunderbolt LED Cinema Display
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Leaked images show Apple's new Thunderbolt LED Cinema Display

post #1 of 71
Thread Starter 
Images discovered on Apple's own servers show a new Thunderbolt-equipped LED Cinema Display, suggesting the new hardware is set for an imminent launch.

The images were identified via their URL as part number "MC914" by MacRumors. That part number was previously and incorrectly claimed to be both a Mac Pro and a white MacBook, but the pictures uploaded by Apple appear to confirm otherwise.

In the pictures, the display sports a galaxy wallpaper that is found in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, Apple's forthcoming operating system upgrade set to go on sale this month. The pictures also show the display paired with a number of Apple devices, including a MacBook Pro, Mac Pro and Mac mini.

In one of the images, two Cinema Displays are connected to a MacBook Pro via Thunderbolt. Such a configuration is only available with the 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pros equipped with Thunderbolt that were released by Apple earlier this year.

None of the pictures show the back of the device, so it's unknown what kind of ports or options might be included, but one image discovered by AppleInsider shows the side of the display.



The images show a Cinema Display that maintains the same look and form factor as the existing units sold by Apple, which pack a 2,560-by-1,440 pixel resolution and 178-degree viewing angle. That 27-inch display went on sale last September for a $999 price tag.



AppleInsider first revealed Apple's plans for a new Thunderbolt-equipped LED Cinema Display last month. With the new displays appearing to have an imminent launch, they could appear alongside Apple's soon-to-be-released updated MacBook Airs as well.



The new thin-and-light MacBook Airs are also expected to include the high-speed Thunderbolt port, which can send picture to a display and also transfer data over its 10Gbps connector. The new MacBook Airs will also sport Intel's latest-generation Sandy Bridge processors and backlit keyboards.
post #2 of 71
Be a hell of an earnings report if they gave it the same day they dropped Lion and several new products all at once, wouldn't it?
post #3 of 71
1) Nice to see only two cables for a docking solution. Outside of using an optical LightPeak in the center of the MagSafe, per a patent, this is as good as it gets.

2) I expect audio ports, USB (FaceTime camera), and FireWire 800 on the back of the ACD, but what about Ethernet or other ports?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #4 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Nice to see only two cables for a docking solution. Outside of using an optical LightPeak in the center of the MagSafe, per a patent, this is as good as it gets.

2) I expect audio ports, USB (FaceTime camera), and FireWire 800 on the back of the ACD, but what about Ethernet or other ports?

It will have the full complement of modern connectors -- RS232, Centronics, SCSI, S!00, ADB, Omninet, Nestar, Tocken Ring,AppleTalk...
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #5 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

Be a hell of an earnings report if they gave it the same day they dropped Lion and several new products all at once, wouldn't it?

And also announce the date for the iPhone/iPod/iPad event
post #6 of 71
post #7 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Nice to see only two cables for a docking solution. Outside of using an optical LightPeak in the center of the MagSafe, per a patent, this is as good as it gets.

2) I expect audio ports, USB (FaceTime camera), and FireWire 800 on the back of the ACD, but what about Ethernet or other ports?

Two ports may be as good as it gets but it can't be satisfactory in JobsLand. I use the three connector solution with my Apple monitor and not a day goes by that I don't think how lame and clunky this is. There are docking solutions out there, and have been for years, that are much simpler. I imagine it riles at least one person at Apple to have more than one conector.

I can't imagine ethernet ports will go for a long time. If you are going to have a docking solution the monitor is the one thing that will stay put and its essentially a hub with a screen.
post #8 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

Be a hell of an earnings report if they gave it the same day they dropped Lion and several new products all at once, wouldn't it?

Not really since the report is about what they did last quarter. When they drop anything this quarter would change the numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

but what about Ethernet or other ports?

Why would a display need Ethernet?

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #9 of 71
Quote:
In one of the images, two Cinema Displays are connected to a MacBook Pro via Thunderbolt. Such a configuration is only available with the 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pros equipped with Thunderbolt that were released by Apple earlier this year.

Since the "Thunderbolt port" is the same physical port as the Mini Displayport on previous generation Macs, and Displayport (version 1.2 and newer) supports multiple daisy-chained monitors even without Thunderbolt, I'm not sure that these photos show that Thunderbolt-equipped Macs are required or indeed that these are "Thunderbolt-equipped" monitors. Though we can probably assume they support Thunderbolt

Seems to me as long as both monitors support DP1.2 and have DP/Thunderbolt "out" ports on the back these could be used on pre-Thunderbolt Macs. As long as they're v1.2 compliant.

Of course I'm making a lot of assumptions here...
post #10 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Why would a display need Ethernet?

That's a joke, right?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #11 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Why would a display need Ethernet?

The main reason to have an ethernet port is since these displays will be used by pro shops (graphic design, video, audio, etc) and we typically need to move our files to the network. Gigabit ethernet is a far cry from WiFi speeds. With Ethernet in the back of the display, you can easily disconnect your MBP/A for a meeting and then come back and "plug in" with one cord.
post #12 of 71
More consumer level over-priced useless crap or are they going to release a matte version and make it an awesome display?
post #13 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In one of the images, two Cinema Displays are connected to a MacBook Pro via Thunderbolt. Such a configuration is only available with the 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pros equipped with Thunderbolt that were released by Apple earlier this year.

Why Won't 13" MBP Thunderbolt Support Two External 2560 x 1600 Monitors? I thought all Thunderbolt ports support Dual Link displays. No?

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply
post #14 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBoozer View Post

Since the "Thunderbolt port" is the same physical port as the Mini Displayport on previous generation Macs, and Displayport (version 1.2 and newer) supports multiple daisy-chained monitors even without Thunderbolt, I'm not sure that these photos show that Thunderbolt-equipped Macs are required or indeed that these are "Thunderbolt-equipped" monitors. Though we can probably assume they support Thunderbolt

Seems to me as long as both monitors support DP1.2 and have DP/Thunderbolt "out" ports on the back these could be used on pre-Thunderbolt Macs. As long as they're v1.2 compliant.

Of course I'm making a lot of assumptions here...

I'm sure DisplayPort protocol would work fine with the older Macs with mDP ports. But that's it. No data. Even if they can update the mDP port drivers on older Macs to allow for the use of USB over the designated pins (it's part of the spec) I doubt that the current LED Apple Displays are wired allow the USB data to access the USB hub on those displays.

This begs the question: Will Apple sell both monitors until all Macs have been updated or will these new LED Apple Displays have a USB port in back that can also function as an optional bridge so older Macs need only a USB-A (male)-to-USB (male) cable.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #15 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Why Won't 13" MBP Thunderbolt Support Two External 2560 x 1600 Monitors?

Can the Nvidia 320M IGP spec support 2x(2560x1600) and 1280x800 at the same time? That's over 9 million pixels.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #16 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by dick applebaum View Post

it will have the full complement of modern connectors -- rs232, centronics, scsi, s!00, adb, omninet, nestar, tocken ring,appletalk...

+1
post #17 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Why Won't 13" MBP Thunderbolt Support Two External 2560 x 1600 Monitors? I thought all Thunderbolt ports support Dual Link displays. No?

Shortcoming of the Intel HD Graphics 3000 built into the CPU.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #18 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Not really since the report is about what they did last quarter. When they drop anything this quarter would change the numbers



Why would a display need Ethernet?

The ethernet isn't that far fetched. Thunderbolt is a very flexible technology that can have multiple protocols run over it. A scenario that this would work well in is a small project studio. I could have 2 27" Thunderbolt ACD's with my high speed external SSD storage array daisy chained along with my other Audio & video I/O devices. They could have an ethernet connection on the ACD that would allow me to have my workstation wired for a more secure & consistent connection to my network. Then I can get to my desk, plug in my MBP to the power & Thunderbolt connections, toss it in a Dock and and have all my studio gear running on my MBP with 2 cables.

Personally I doubt Apple will put an ethernet controller in the ACD's but it's not out of the realm of having some benefit.
post #19 of 71

Please let there be an Anti-Glare option or product on the horizon.  I'm sick of seeing my bookshelf, scowling face, light, etc. during the day. Am, I alone?


Edited by connector - 4/30/12 at 10:07pm
post #20 of 71
At present they're ridiculously priced -> Almost as expensive as a 20" iMac. And two thirds of the price of a 27" computer iMac.

An elegant solution could be to re-introduce a (cheaper) 24" Cinema display?!
post #21 of 71
I am not so concerned about anti-glare. I would like to see them increase the refresh rate above 60Hz.

In the PC world, people have found you can take a 3D monitor which has a 120Hz refresh rate to enable 60Hz for each eye, and disable the 3D part and just have a normal monitor that goes at 120Hz, and it looks great! And this is not some fake doubling like TVs do, it's true 120.
post #22 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Why Won't 13" MBP Thunderbolt Support Two External 2560 x 1600 Monitors? I thought all Thunderbolt ports support Dual Link displays. No?

As the others have said, It's because of the Intel HD 3000 IGP. But also I think you are confused on Dual Link and Dual Monitor. Dual Link was paring 2 logical display paths to achieve a higher resolution display. This does not mean that it can or does support 2 monitors. However Thunderbolt does support the amount of bandwidth to handle 2 high resolution display's and then some. But alas it still needs to have a GFx card that is capable of actually delivering that many pixels.
post #23 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I would have clicked on the petition but your hyperbole got in the way.

Health issue?
Give me a break.

...and your hubris gets in the way yet again.

Since this is the only website you read apparently, let me help get you started with the hundreds of thousands of articles and research that point to these useless Apple displays being a health issue.

http://www.ehow.com/list_7651269_hea...-monitors.html

Also, check out Apple's own discussion forums and read the tens of thousands of users complaining about eye strain and headaches.

You gotta stop with this 'it's not good unless SJ says it's good' indoctrination you have Prof.
Too many shareholders in that boat will sink it.
post #24 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Apple: this is a health and productivity issue. Please, include matte displays, at least as an option.

Just go buy someone else's display already
post #25 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Why would a display need Ethernet?

So with one connector to my laptop I could get my Ethernet, keyboard, mouse and all other peripherals.

Heck, I would love to see a monitor or box with a discrete video card so that when I dock my MacBook Air it would work better with games or software like Aperture.
post #26 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode View Post

You gotta stop with this 'it's not good unless SJ says it's good' indoctrination you have Prof.
Too many shareholders in that boat will sink it.

Oh for crying out loud - as long as there are plenty of third party alternatives Apple doesn't have to do anything.

Heck even if there weren't they still don't have to do anything.

Get off it. Your in the minority. No one cares. Your not going to get them to change their mind. You can dogmatically push your little cause and we can dogmatically point the absurdity of your "cause".

Edit - and quoting ehow.com? That link baiting click farm? Ha!
post #27 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode View Post

...and your hubris gets in the way yet again.

Since this is the only website you read apparently, let me help get you started with the hundreds of thousands of articles and research that point to these useless Apple displays being a health issue.

http://www.ehow.com/list_7651269_hea...-monitors.html

Also, check out Apple's own discussion forums and read the tens of thousands of users complaining about eye strain and headaches.

You gotta stop with this 'it's not good unless SJ says it's good' indoctrination you have Prof.
Too many shareholders in that boat will sink it.



Well, signing a petition has certainly proven to be an effective way to get Apple to do something...
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #28 of 71
Maybe I have this wrong, but I thought that the thunderbolt cable only had one video passthrough. It looks connected to two monitors. Maybe the new displays have built-in video cards that run over the data side of the thunderbolt cable. The thunderbolt cable is 20 Gb/s full duplex compared to only 8 Gb/s for PCI Express 16X. I bet they could fit some pretty nice video cards in those cinema display cases. I wonder if there will be other peripherals like ethernet?
post #29 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Oh for crying out loud - as long as there are plenty of third party alternatives Apple doesn't have to do anything.

Heck even if there weren't they still don't have to do anything.

Get off it. Your in the minority. No one cares. Your not going to get them to change their mind. You can dogmatically push your little cause and we can dogmatically point the absurdity of your "cause".

Edit - and quoting ehow.com? That link baiting click farm? Ha!

And yet - there was no option for matte screens on MacBook Pros for quite a while. We don't know why Apple started offering that option - could it be because there were enough complaints about it? Of course not (according to you). Also, the MacBook Airs are noticeably less glossy than other Apple computers.
post #30 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode View Post

More consumer level over-priced useless crap or are they going to release a matte version and make it an awesome display?

It's not for everyone, that's for sure, but to say it's useless is a bit much. As these are add-on monitors, it's very tough to get behind the complaints, you can get someone else's monitor.

Here are two high resolution monitors with anti glare treatments:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...=baynoteSearch

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...=baynoteSearch

If daisy-chaining is your interest, then you'll probably have to wait until they update their monitors.
post #31 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

And yet - there was no option for matte screens on MacBook Pros for quite a while. We don't know why Apple started offering that option - could it be because there were enough complaints about it? Of course not (according to you). Also, the MacBook Airs are noticeably less glossy than other Apple computers.

They were probably tired of people cleaning their screens with ammonia then calling AppleCare. I bet the glass also makes the MacBooks (except the Air which is lighter and will flex less when held at the edge) a little less fragile. I don't mind the glass. Just angle the screen away from bright lights. It actually gives a higher contrast image without the matte effect. The matte displays are probably slightly better for graphic designers because specular properties will throw off the color slightly, but it is still emitted light so accuracy is still way off from reflected light (the gold standard) which our eyes are an order of magnitude more sensitive to. Maybe one day there will be color eInk displays to give color accuracy nirvana to all of those that swear (incorrectly) that they can get accurate color from a matte display.
post #32 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by esummers View Post

They were probably tired of people cleaning their screens with ammonia then calling AppleCare.

Is that really a problem these days? If it were a big problem, I'd think that more computer makers would be putting glass on their displays.

I still maintain that matte vs. gloss are a false dichotomy, there are good anti-glare coats available don't have a diffusion problem and don't reflect glare so badly, it's the best of both worlds in my opinion. Apple had a light anti-glare surface on their pre-glass glossy screens, it's a shame that went away.
post #33 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I would have clicked on the petition but your hyperbole got in the way.

Health issue?
Give me a break.

Actually, if you had clicked on the link you would have been able to read about people's health issues. An eye opener to me. (no pun intended).
post #34 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

At present they're ridiculously priced -> Almost as expensive as a 20" iMac. And two thirds of the price of a 27" computer iMac.

An elegant solution could be to re-introduce a (cheaper) 24" Cinema display?!



I agree on the 24" Cinema but it appears you haven't shopped around for 27" 2560x1440 displays.

Dell 27 with no speakers or Facetime camera $999
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...284&redirect=1


NEC 27" display $1199
http://www.amazon.com/NEC-PA271w-bk-.../dp/B003LD1QRY


The assumption often is that if Apple is pricing something at $X dollars the competition is considerably cheaper but one of the reasons why Apple's success has been off the charts is in fact because Apple pricing now is quite competitive.

http://www.nextag.com/27-monitor-256...0/compare-html
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #35 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I would have clicked on the petition but your hyperbole got in the way.

Health issue?
Give me a break.

Computer Vision Syndrome is a fairly well documented malady affecting many people to various degrees. One of the most common complaints as far as glossy screens are concerned has to do with posture (mechanical compensation).

High-gloss screen advisory from the Queensland University of Technology:
http://www.hrd.qut.edu.au/healthsafe.../highGloss.jsp

However there are those like my niece, with severe astigmatism which makes the glare especially troublesome. Apple has a long history of providing alternatives to keyboard and mouse controls employed by most of us, and the matte option was a similar nod to that effort.
post #36 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Oh for crying out loud - as long as there are plenty of third party alternatives Apple doesn't have to do anything.

Heck even if there weren't they still don't have to do anything.

Get off it. Your in the minority. No one cares. Your not going to get them to change their mind. You can dogmatically push your little cause and we can dogmatically point the absurdity of your "cause".

Edit - and quoting ehow.com? That link baiting click farm? Ha!

Interesting that you accuse someone of dogma simply for asking for an option that you have no interest in. There can be no doubt that there are a significant number of people who would prefer a matte monitor. There must also be those out there for whom a glossy monitor is not optimal. Expressing the opinion that Apple would be doing well by its customers by offering a choice seems to me to be reasonable.

I'm not sure the suggestion that those who want to have a matte monitor should buy another brand is well considered. It makes sense only for those people who are buying Mac Pro or Mac Mini systems. If I buy a laptop or an iMac the display comes built-in and there is no real choice across the range.

Personally, I prefer a matte screen. I don't have a medical need. I'm not a graphics professional. I just prefer the lack of reflection. I'd like to have a choice. I'd also like to be able to express that desire without being attacked for it. Hope that is not too dogmatic for you.\
post #37 of 71
How do you have glare without a second light source people?


If I'm sensitive to glare i'm going to change my environment and reduce the
opportunity for light to reflect off the screen.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #38 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

How do you have glare without a second light source people?


If I'm sensitive to glare i'm going to change my environment and reduce the
opportunity for light to reflect off the screen.

Not everyone has total control of their environment. Offices, libraries, outdoors, public transport are all places people use computer screens. At my place of work I have an allocated desk, in an allocated position and no opportunity to change it. Matte used to be a $50 option which I would have paid quite happily. It is a shame Apple have removed it.
post #39 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Well, signing a petition has certainly proven to be an effective way to get Apple to do something...

As has putting a complaint in your signature line on a forum...
post #40 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouty2 View Post

Not everyone has total control of their environment. Offices, libraries, outdoors, public transport are all places people use computer screens. At my place of work I have an allocated desk, in an allocated position and no opportunity to change it. Matte used to be a $50 option which I would have paid quite happily. It is a shame Apple have removed it.

If it's a place of business by law (American Disabilities Act) they have to "reasonably" accommodate any special needs for the employee, so the purchase of a hood for the LCD would be most appropriate.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Leaked images show Apple's new Thunderbolt LED Cinema Display