or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Murdoch Scandal

The Murdoch Scandal - Page 2

post #41 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

Ha ha ha, yeah.

No, they only hacked the voicemail of murder victims, British war dead, grieving families and the Royal Family, paid the Metropolitan Police for information, lied to a Parliamentary Enquiry and then paid £80,000 in hush money.

OF COURSE we shouldn't treat them like criminals. They're CONSERVATIVES.

Yes, and presumably pretty strict about morals.

So this must be a witch hunt. After all, they didn't do something like tweet their penis. Now *that* would be a scandal!!!
post #42 of 164
"It is a personal blow for Rupert Murdoch, who had invested so much in the career of Brooks, promoting her though the Wapping ranks at lightening speed and describing her as the "daughter he never had." (he actually has four).
~ http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/...king-live-blog
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #43 of 164
While Murdoch broke the "11th Commandment" and the spotlight is currently on News Corp, Fox, News of the World etc, the rest of the corporate "weasel" media carries on with its own Joseph Goebbels Emulation® spree, only too pleased to watch the competition swinging in the wind.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #44 of 164
Sir John Stephenson, most senior policeman on Britain, just resigned.
post #45 of 164
Was just coming here to post that. Here's the article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14178097

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #46 of 164
Was watching soccer (Japan won! )so I am late to the game. Police chief is out and I think I saw briefly on a newsfeed somewhere that people are now calling for Cameron...???

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #47 of 164
Quote:

Actually, I have to point out a classic right wing internet tactic here.

SDW doesn't know the facts. Clearly not, because he started out defending something terrible, saying "Well, it's not that bad. What's all the fuss about? They're going FULL RETARD."

So I told him the facts.

And he wrote "link? link? link? prove it".

So I gave him links and links and links and proved it.

So his final comeback was "Well, none of that matters, because you're unhinged anyway."

Really. These people.

What the fuck? I never defended anything. I never said "it's not that bad" or "what's all the fuss about." I have unequivocally condemned the hacking. Period.

Secondly, I asked for links because you made unsubstantiated claims. One of those statements I misinterpreted to mean "4,000 perpetrators," when in fact you meant "4,000 victims." I cleared that up and acknowledged the veracity of the claim. What is the problem?

Third, you have not proved that Murdoch was involved, nor some vast conspiracy, nor some company-wide policy of hacking at News Corps. Yet you continue to go batshit crazy, screaming about me "defending" this and accusing me of being "on the team of evil." You continue to imply that this is it...News Corps and Murdoch are guilty and anyone else who claims otherwise is either a fool or part of the "evil." You are biased and irrational, not to mention ready to dance in the street while these evil bastards are put to death. That's why you're unhinged.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #48 of 164
She's just been let out on bail.
post #49 of 164
post #50 of 164
Cameron cutting Africa trip short to return to England to deal with the crisis.

Remember everyone, this is a non-story that happened a long, long time ago in a country far, far away and therefore we should not be looking at it.

Questions for the inquiry on Tuesday:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...lect-committee

The British press on the reaction in the US:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...an-politicians

And to think McCain could have been president... Does he have real-time access to FBI investigation files to say what he does?

post #51 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

She's just been let out on bail.

Can now attend the questioning on Tuesday. Hope the MP's do it right.

post #52 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Can now attend the questioning on Tuesday. Hope the MP's do it right.

I wonder what her mood is. She's must have felt untouchable all this time. Now, maybe not, but she's still got friends in high places.

I'm also wondering about Cameron, he's in deep now too-

"Senior police sources confirmed the attack had been intentional and showed the anger at Scotland Yard that Stephenson has been willing to resign over the scandal while the political class has failed to take responsibility in the same way. An ally of Stephenson said: "The commissioner thought if the prime minister is happy employing Andy Coulson, and Neil Wallis has bid the lowest price, what reason would we have not to employ him?"
~ http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/ju...-david-cameron
post #53 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Open your eyes. http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...-phone-hacking

Would you be in favour of someone having so much power in the US?
post #54 of 164
Oh, what weasily horseshit.

You said this:

Quote:

From everything I've heard, these actions were limited to mid-level managers and reporters at one newspaper. Why is the British government going FULL RETARD with this, killing News Corps' purchase of Sky, bringing in Gordon Brown, etc? Gee, I'm SURE it's not revenge or anything. </sarcasm>.[/B]

So I explained exactly why. I even showed you how it directly involved the ex-CEO of News International, who was arrested yesterday.

So you ignored that, completely, and decided to make an ad hom that I was 'unhinged' instead. And then whined about ad homs in the same post.

Blow your conservative hypocrisy out your arse, basically.
post #55 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Yes, and presumably pretty strict about morals.

So this must be a witch hunt. After all, they didn't do something like tweet their penis. Now *that* would be a scandal!!!

It seems most of your posts you have a chip on your shoulder about something.This will be handled if their is a hacking in the states correctly and with the right justifiable cause.
post #56 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

It seems most of your posts you have a chip on your shoulder about something.

Says the guy who quite clearly has trouble even writing the word 'liberal' without clenching his fists and counting to ten.
post #57 of 164
The whistleblower journalist Sean Hoare, who was andy Coulson's friend before going public with the hacking evidence, has been found dead.

Just finding out what happened.
post #58 of 164
Quote:

The whistleblower journalist Sean Hoare, who was andy Coulson's friend before going public with the hacking evidence, has been found dead.

Just finding out what happened.

Surely he would have wanted to see how this all works out. Very suspicious indeed.
post #59 of 164
Quote:

Oh, what weasily horseshit.

You said this:

So I explained exactly why. I even showed you how it directly involved the ex-CEO of News International, who was arrested yesterday.

So you ignored that, completely, and decided to make an ad hom that I was 'unhinged' instead. And then whined about ad homs in the same post.

Blow your conservative hypocrisy out your arse, basically.

That is not defending anything.
post #60 of 164
Quote:

Would you be in favour of someone having so much power in the US?

By asking that, you're reinforcing my suspicion. This really doesn't seem to be about hacking. It's about punishing evil, big News Corp.
post #61 of 164
Yes, just saw the news about the death of Hoare myself. Whether murder or suicide, this is certainly going to take things to a new level.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #62 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Yes, just saw the news about the death of Hoare myself. Whether murder or suicide, this is certainly going to take things to a new level.

Suicide seems to me fairly unlikely given what's happening and his desire to make news/politicians/police more honest. That would leave an accidental drug overdose, other health issues or murder.

Why if he committed suicide do you think it takes things to another level?
post #63 of 164
Because now a man has died over this. It's not just about phone hacking anymore.
post #64 of 164
Quote:

Because now a man has died over this. It's not just about phone hacking anymore.

It never was and we don't know if "a man has died over this".
post #65 of 164
" Lady Claudia Rothermere, the wife of the owner of The Daily Mail, also overheard Brooks saying at a dinner party that The Mail was just as culpable as The News of the World. "We didn't break the law," Lady Rothermere said, according to two sources who spoke to the NY Times. Brooks was said to have asked who Lady Rothermere thought she was, "Mother Teresa?"
~ http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/blog...-live-coverage
post #66 of 164
Quote:

Suicide seems to me fairly unlikely given what's happening and his desire to make news/politicians/police more honest. That would leave an accidental drug overdose, other health issues or murder.

Quote:

... we don't know if "a man has died over this".

You guys are hilarious.
post #67 of 164
Quote:

You guys are hilarious.

I'm not sure why.

I hope if he did commit suicide he had a plan to end it with a release of more info. Perhaps he couldn't face the consequences of "hurting" any friends. We shall see.

"10.00pm: Three Police officers carrying cameras and wearing white forensic suits arrived a short time ago at Sean Hoare's flat in Watford.

Fifteen minutes earlier, at about 9.15pm, a police van marked "Scientific Services Unit" pulled up at the address, a block of flats that the journalist moved into in November 2009.

The Press Association reports that two officers emerged carrying evidence bags, clipboards, torches and laptop-style bags and entered the building."
~ http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/blog...-live-coverage
post #68 of 164
The Suns been hacked. Their site goes to Twitter- http://www.google.com/search?q=the%20sun
post #69 of 164
Watching the hearing live now on CNN. Thank goodness I watched "State of Play" and "Ghost Writer".

Truth, it seems... is always stranger than fiction.

The most interesting statement so far from outgoing Met Police head Paul Stephenson that just resigned:

"We had some advice from a senior official at no.10 not to compromise the Prime Minister"

not to compromise the Prime Minister
post #70 of 164
Quote:

By asking that, you're reinforcing my suspicion. This really doesn't seem to be about hacking. It's about punishing evil, big News Corp.

Well, in Britain it seems to be also about the police, the press in general and the government.

The hearing now has spent an one hour an half alone questioning the head of the police (Met).

This scandal is fairly broad-ranging.

The death of a whistleblower (Sean Hoare) is sad and only makes things more complicated.
post #71 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Was watching soccer (Japan won! )so I am late to the game. Police chief is out and I think I saw briefly on a newsfeed somewhere that people are now calling for Cameron...???

Cameron has a fire slowly being lit under his ass, I'm sure. He is at least at "Defcon 2" in terms of his position right now.
post #72 of 164
"Andy Thompson, 40, managing director of Canadian theatre company The Virtual Stage, was on a working holiday to London to see West End shows and visit friends. He decided to attend today's hearing after friends told him it was open to the public.

"This is the best show in town this afternoon," he said. "How often do you get a chance to sit in a room with the Murdochs and Rebekah Brooks while they get grilled by MPs? It's a completely historic day to be in London."

Also in the queue outside Portcullis House was Guilio, 31, a writer from Italy, who did not want to give his surname. He said there were parallels between Britain's phone hacking scandal and controversy about the Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi's huge influence on his country's media.

"It is a very interesting story, especially for us because Murdoch in the UK has less media power than Berlusconi has in Italy - and he is not the prime minister," he said. "You can see from that when a powerful proprietor chooses to be so involved with politics, it is just damaging. It's much worse in Italy. It is interesting to see how the British deal with it. I think there is a difference in culture also. Here you say sorry when you make a mistake. In Italy, we're not asked to, we're not even supposed to."
~ http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...-hearing-queue
post #73 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Well, in Britain it seems to be also about the police, the press in general and the government.

The hearing now has spent an one hour an half alone questioning the head of the police (Met).

This scandal is fairly broad-ranging.

The death of a whistleblower (Sean Hoare) is sad and only makes things more complicated.

Agreed. I'm watching it live now. Opening with Murdochs was not "full retard," which is good to see. Chairman was respectful and asked pointed questions. I would have liked if James Murdoch game more direct answers.

Second questioner (big, thick glasses guy in a grey suit) is a fucking dick. His best quote "Why didn't employees tell you of the blackmail charge? Is it because they thought you'd think nothing of it?"

and

"are you aware that a parliamentary investigation (report) found your executives guilty of collective amnesia"

"it's revealing in itself that your father doesn't know about wrongdoing in the company"

"Why did you select to risk the jobs of 200 people...?"

"If it can be show to you that other forms of illicit surveillance were used [by private investigators working for your company], would you initiate a full investigation?"

This guy thinks he's a criminal prosecutor. He's taking Murdoch through 10 years, sometimes month by month and asking specific questions. He will not allow.

HAHA...another guy...#3...Irish accent, dark suit: "Why did you go in the the back door at #10?"

and "you must have been horrified at [what happened] with your takeover of [Sky]."

I shit you not!!
post #74 of 164
I really encourage everyone to watch this. It shows perfectly the hysteria being created by the government and competitors.

Another question from McDarkySuit: "Do you accept that you, Mr. Murdoch, are ultimately responsible for this whole situation?"

R. Murdoch: "No."
post #75 of 164
He's Scottish, not Irish.

Oh, and this is brutal. Murdoch is screwed.
post #76 of 164
Quote:

Agreed. I'm watching it live now. Opening with Murdochs was not "full retard," which is good to see. Chairman was respectful and asked pointed questions. I would have liked if James Murdoch game more direct answers.

Second questioner (big, thick glasses guy in a grey suit) is a fucking dick. His best quote "Why didn't employees tell you of the blackmail charge? Is it because they thought you'd think nothing of it?"

and

"are you aware that a parliamentary investigation (report) found your executives guilty of collective amnesia"

"it's revealing in itself that your father doesn't know about wrongdoing in the company"

"Why did you select to risk the jobs of 200 people...?"

"If it can be show to you that other forms of illicit surveillance were used [by private investigators working for your company], would you initiate a full investigation?"

This guy thinks he's a criminal prosecutor. He's taking Murdoch through 10 years, sometimes month by month and asking specific questions. He will not allow.

HAHA...another guy...#3...Irish accent, dark suit: "Why did you go in the the back door at #10?"

and "you must have been horrified at [what happened] with your takeover of [Sky]."

I shit you not!!

Well, it's fascinating. Some family friends came over so I could only catch bits and pieces of the Murdoch's grilling.

It's the only time MPs and "ordinary people" get to grandstand and I say, let them go for the jugular... Some will look reasonable doing it, some will look overzealous.

James seems to be doing the dutiful son thing, Murdoch looks like, "I'm too old for this shit... WTF am I paying you all* for???"

Well, time for bed, I'm sure this whole afternoon's (UK time) entertainment will be milked for all its worth in all global media of all persuasions over the next few days (weeks? months?).

*Staff, aides, politicians(?), policemen(?)
post #77 of 164
Quote:

He's Scottish, not Irish.

Oh, and this is brutal. Murdoch is screwed.

Not as good with my accents as I thought, apparently. As for Murdoch, which one? Why is he screwed? Frankly, I think sympathy for R. Murdoch is likely to be created if the conduct of certain committee members continues. He looks like an old man who doesn't follow the day to day operations divisions, much less individual properties. The problem is that it's clear they already believe Murdoch (sr) is guilty and should personally fry. They are not seeking information...they are prosecuting. Meanwhile, Murdoch is establishing that he had no idea about the hacking..as is his son.

Good luck with him "being screwed."
post #78 of 164
Quote:

I really encourage everyone to watch this. It shows perfectly the hysteria being created by the government and competitors.

Another question from McDarkySuit: "Do you accept that you, Mr. Murdoch, are ultimately responsible for this whole situation?"

R. Murdoch: "No."

Well, for us lefties, we finally get our day in the sun.

Yes, it is bordering on hysteria but sometimes that's needed when combating vast conspiracies by shadowy, powerful people who are the real ones that actually run corporations and by extension governments.

Oops, I've said too much, and that white van across the street has been there way too long. How long does it take to fix a satellite dish? At 10PM at night?
post #79 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Well, for us lefties, we finally get our day in the sun.

Yes, it is bordering on hysteria but sometimes that's needed when combating vast conspiracies by shadowy, powerful people who are the real ones that actually run corporations and by extension governments.

Oops, I've said too much, and that white van across the street has been there way too long. How long does it take to fix a satellite dish? At 10PM at night?

Nice. The only problem though is there is no evidence of a "vast, shadowy conspiracy."
post #80 of 164
Quote:

Not as good with my accents as I thought, apparently. As for Murdoch, which one? Why is he screwed? Frankly, I think sympathy for R. Murdoch is likely to be created if the conduct of certain committee members continues. He looks like an old man who doesn't follow the day to day operations divisions, much less individual properties. The problem is that it's clear they already believe Murdoch (sr) is guilty and should personally fry. They are not seeking information...they are prosecuting. Meanwhile, Murdoch is establishing that he had no idea about the hacking..as is his son.

Good luck with him "being screwed."

Fortunately or unfortunately, the Murdochs are not idiots. I assume it will be very hard to pin any of this on them or even close to them. Rebekah Brooks though, will probably be burned at the stake. My metaphor is made more interesting in that she has witchy, curly red hair. A pity, that's the kind of women I like.

For a dose of (possibly inappropriate) humour:

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/people/...-missing-bag/

HereÂs ten things RebekahÂs bag probably contained Â

1. An Extradition Countries Map

The net is tightening for any self-respecting lag on the run these days. In years gone by all you had to do was row a dinghy over to the Costa Del Crime and a life of beach based fun and frolics was waiting for you. Now your choices include such delightful destinations as North and South Korea, Burkina Faso and Yemen. With famines, uprisings and civil wars on the menu the countries have had very little time to set up a welcome party for Brooks. On the brightside for Beks I think most of the countries show little regard for a free and fair press.

2. Fake I.D

YouÂre not going to get far as a fugitive without a fake I.D and Louise Boat is probably the best name to sneak out of the country under right now. After all, the combined genius that is Sky and the news team didnÂt have the foggiest just who Louise Boat was last night. All aboard the LulzBoat Rebekah and set sail for foreign lands. DonÂt forget to leave the log in details passwords for the News International websites on your way out.

3. Bear Grylls Survival Guide

If thereÂs one man that knows how to pretend to survive against all manner of camera-crew set up situations itÂs Bear Grylls. As neither party are apparently strangers to weaving webs of lies, Brooks should find this book a most informative read. SheÂll learn how to pretend to live off all manner of insects, wild plants and even build a shelter. ItÂll be no Sunday lunch at Chequers, but at least sheÂll feel at home if she ever has to rummage through someones bins for a scrap to eat.

4. The GovernmentÂs Missing Data

Any good journalist knows that maintaining good contacts is key. Over the last few years all manner of data sources have been lost by the government and what could be more handy in a time of crisis than 25 million peopleÂs contact details? Trouble is, she could knock on all of those doors and not one of them would give her B&B for the night.

5. Cyanide Pills

If Bond movies have taught us anything itÂs that cyanide capsules are the only solution if youÂre caught by the enemy. Far be it from me to suggest this as an option for Brooks, but itÂs a wonder she didnÂt down one of these with a glass of Lambrini when we were all baying for her blood last week.

6. A Prison Break Boxset

Chock full of handy tips for any budding fugitives, this is one box-set not to miss. This chould keep Rebekah at large for at least four seasons unless BSkyB commissions her for a fifth season. Whether sheÂs got the blueprints of Holloway prison tattooed all over her torso remains a rumour at this stage.

7. Tom PellereauÂs Nail File

It did wonders for Tom in this years Apprentice transforming him from geeky nerd to ace inventor with a Âspecial parcel  who knows what it could do for Beks. Normally a fairly innocuous item in any womanÂs handbag but in light of her recent arrest it could be just the thing. The possibility of her doing some jail time means this file is probably destined to help her escape the long arm of the law rather than tend to any manicure woes. Brooks will get bonus points if sheÂs hidden her file in a cake.

8. A Can of Frizz-Ease

A girlÂs got to make sure she looks her best in taxing times. Whether she finds herself lost in a humid rainforest or working in the prison laundry, Rebekah should make sure sheÂs never too far from a can of Frizz-Ease. A bad hair day is the last thing she needs right now.

9. 800 Benson & Hedges

Other than being someoneÂs bitch, tobacco is an instant way to make friends in prison. Handy for trading or buying a few hours respite from Âspecial attentionÂ, cigarettes are the jail equivalent of cash. Should Rebekah end up in a gritty real life remake of Prisoner Cell Block H, a few fags should help that prison sentence fly by.

10. A Marilyn Monroe Poster, A Rock Hammer and Morgan Freeman

These were the only three things Andy Dufresne needed for his ÂShawshank RedemptionÂ.

RebekahÂs a long way off redemption but with these items in her bag of tricks she canÂt go wrong. Unless Morgan Freeman decides to reprise his role of God from Bruce Almighty and smites Brooks with an unspeakable selection of pestilence, disease and tragedy befitting her crimes.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Murdoch Scandal