or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple Cinema Display page under maintenance ahead of Thunderbolt update
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple Cinema Display page under maintenance ahead of Thunderbolt update

post #1 of 89
Thread Starter 
Shortly after leaked images of an updated Thunderbolt-capable LED Cinema Display surfaced, the Apple Online Store's page for the product stopped working, serving as further evidence that a refresh is imminent.

Update: Apple has restored the pages in question to working order.

Late Friday, Apple's own links to the product page for its $999 27-inch LED display went down, instead offering up the message, "Oops! An error has occurred during your session," as noticed by TUAW.

Additionally, the digital storefront's Displays & Graphics page shows a placeholder cardboard box image for the product and links to the currently unavailable Cinema Display page. However, the correct image does show up in the Similar Products view.

While it's certainly possible that Apple is merely experiencing technical difficulties with its website, Friday's discovery of images on Apple's servers showing off a new Thunderbolt-equipped display point to the likelihood of an upcoming refresh. URLs for the images identified the part number for the new displays as "MC914," which had previously been claimed to be for either a Mac Pro or white MacBook.



One leaked image depicts two Cinema Displays daisy-chained to a MacBook Pro. The images are also noteworthy because they feature the new Mac OS X Lion desktop background instead of the Snow Leopard background depicted on images of the current version of the display.



AppleInsider was first to report the company's plans for a Thunderbolt-equipped display last month. Given the apparent timing of the update, the new displays could launch alongside upgrade MacBook Air models, which are expected to arrive soon.

The new ultra-thin laptops are said to include the Thunderbolt I/O, new Sandy Bridge processors from Intel and backlit keyboards. AppleInsider noted last month that Apple has been holding back the machines until Lion is finished. The next major upgrade to Mac OS X is scheduled to arrive sometime in July. People familiar with the matter have recently suggested that last minute security issues related to the new app resume feature may have resulted in minor delays.
post #2 of 89
MacRumors is reporting that an iMac was seen sporting the new Lion wallpaper in the Apple Online Store as well which was later removed...

These reports of the Cinema Display, broken links and Lion wallpapers would surely be strong indications that not only is the Cinema Display imminent but in fact Lion...

Also, in pictures of the Cinema Display that were leaked, a Mac Mini is shown which may suggest that if an update was made alongside Lion, its aesthetics would be similar.


Updated: The images on MacRumors which AppleInsider posted several of recently, show a Mac Mini connected to a Cinema Display via what looks like a Thunderbolt cable... Hmm...


post #3 of 89
But I still see it in CA.
post #4 of 89
What unbelievable luck! I just purchased my 27" display for my MBA (office monitor) TODAY! About 2 hours after unpacking it for weekend testing, I read the article. Talk about pure coincidence!

The LED Display page was down a few hours, but is back up now (here in SF) with no mention of the Thunderbolt setup.

I've got two weeks of use with my current display before I can return it. If the new one is days away, I will be curious to know how compatible the Thunderbolt port is with my late 2010 MBA. If there are no options for me and others with non-Thunderbolt machines, I'll stick with the one I just bought.

I did hook it up to my 27" i7 iMac as a second monitor just for kicks. The amount of real estate is just insane! They are beautiful monitors.

Clock is ticking...
post #5 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymoon View Post

But I still see it in CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

The LED Display page was down a few hours, but is back up now (here in SF) with no mention of the Thunderbolt setup.
Clock is ticking...

It seems the US store has it back up but Australia's page still goes to that "Oops." message. I think they were probably testing it for their website overhaul once Lion/Cinema Display/MBA's/Maybe Mini's or Macbooks are all released.


Think about the number of images on the site with SL wallpaper... My god. What a big change.
post #6 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakevin. View Post

It seems the US store has it back up but Australia's page still goes to that "Oops." message. I think they were probably testing it for their website overhaul once Lion/Cinema Display/MBA's/Maybe Mini's or Macbooks are all released.


Think about the number of images on the site with SL wallpaper... My god. What a big change.


Yes, it will be a big revamp of the site to remove all the SL photos. I sense a storm coming!
post #7 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Yes, it will be a big revamp of the site to remove all the SL photos. I sense a storm coming!

Bring it on.
post #8 of 89
I guess it will be pointless to ask for a matte led display but there you have it.
post #9 of 89
Btw apple are getting some abysmally bad reviews due to the glass in their very own site, with 80% or more people agreeing to them....

http://store.apple.com/us/reviews/MC...&rs=mostUseful
post #10 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Btw apple are getting some abysmally bad reviews due to the glass in their very own site, with 80% or more people agreeing to them....

http://store.apple.com/us/reviews/MC...&rs=mostUseful

I don't have anything glossy in my house. My Aquos HDTV is matted. My dying BenQ notebook is matted. My Samsung 22" monitor is matted, yet I plan to buy a new MBA (and an iMac later). I don't like it but I think I can live with it. :sigh:
post #11 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Btw apple are getting some abysmally bad reviews due to the glass in their very own site, with 80% or more people agreeing to them....

http://store.apple.com/us/reviews/MC...&rs=mostUseful

I suppose that if you don't like it, don't buy it. I love the display on my 27" iMac
post #12 of 89
On the Mac page US site, the blank banner has a click through to the MPB page, notice the Lion banner does not have "coming in July".
post #13 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

I suppose that if you don't like it, don't buy it. I love the display on my 27" iMac

I suppose if a product has top 40 reviews as one to two stars due to the glass, it's a epic failure of choice...
post #14 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I don't have anything glossy in my house. My Aquos HDTV is matted. My dying BenQ notebook is matted. My Samsung 22" monitor is matted, yet I plan to buy a new MBA (and an iMac later). I don't like it but I think I can live with it. :sigh:

the mba is great i ll vouch for that, there's no glass, and hardly any reflections, the imac is another, sad, sad story.
post #15 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I suppose if a product has top 40 reviews as one to two stars due to the glass, it's a epic failure of choice...

Either that - or the tiny percentage of people who are all worked up about the glass but are too cheap to buy a screen protector are very, very vocal.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #16 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakevin. View Post

It seems the US store has it back up but Australia's page still goes to that "Oops." message. I think they were probably testing it for their website overhaul once Lion/Cinema Display/MBA's/Maybe Mini's or Macbooks are all released.


Think about the number of images on the site with SL wallpaper... My god. What a big change.

WheN macrumors posted the image of lion with the imac i went to the us page and it was not there then i went to the italian and it had it, now everything is with sl again. What do you think is happening
post #17 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Btw apple are getting some abysmally bad reviews due to the glass in their very own site, with 80% or more people agreeing to them....

http://store.apple.com/us/reviews/MC...&rs=mostUseful

Old postings.

Between 5 am checking my email on my iPhone, watching the morning news on my flat screen, riding the commuter train 2 and a half hours a day with my either my iPhone, iPad or MacBook Pro opened, working at my desk for 7 hours in front of two 27+" monitors, sitting down to glass topped dining table at supper, relaxing in front of our flat screen in a room surrounded on two sides with glass, walled with framed photos/art next to glassed covered coffee and end table till I retire about 19 hour later, my wife says the only dull thing I face for any length of time is looking in the mirror while I shave in the morning.

Perhaps after a stint in the military bivouacked in camouflage tents and dressed in dull kahki, digging up rat holes, you get to associated non-shiny things as dirt. As we did then, making things dull was easy; keeping it shiny was the hard part.

Maybe at 70+ years I appreciate reflection: it assures me that I am still alive.
post #18 of 89
It's kinda hard to tell from the pic on Macrumors, but the mini attached to the new display doesn't look like it has an optical drive.
post #19 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

It's kinda hard to tell from the pic on Macrumors, but the mini attached to the new display doesn't look like it has an optical drive.

That's what the Mac Mini Server looks like.
post #20 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Nope. We are asking for a matte option. Choice is good.

No, it's called spoon-clanging. You want them to listen to you? You have to hit them where it hurts: drastically lowered sales for a product because Mac owners are buying their display units elsewhere because they want a matte option.
post #21 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I don't have anything glossy in my house. My Aquos HDTV is matted. My dying BenQ notebook is matted. My Samsung 22" monitor is matted, yet I plan to buy a new MBA (and an iMac later). I don't like it but I think I can live with it. :sigh:

You'll give up your crusade once you actually own something glossy.

I certainly did. It's called 'don't shine a 500-watt lamp directly at your computer screen and you'll be fine'.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #22 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Maybe at 70+ years I appreciate reflection: it assures me that I am still alive.

That comment wins the thread
post #23 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I suppose if a product has top 40 reviews as one to two stars due to the glass, it's a epic failure of choice...

Keep in mind that you don't have to have bought the product to review it and you don't have to write a review if you have bought it.

So rather like all those nasty reviews for FCPX, the review counts don't tell the full story.There could be hundreds of folks for whom the issue isn't an issue. Either they don't mind a little effort to place their lighting appropriately, etc or they simply don't get the Apple display

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #24 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

You want them to listen to you? You have to hit them where it hurts: drastically lowered sales for a product

Already there. I've deferred a handful of iMac purchases this year alone because we need computers, not mirrors.

This may have rather insidious effects for Apple. They're in boom times, why should they care about a squeaky wheel? Reminds me of pre-disaster General Motors: sales were great, product was flawed, consumers screamed for better, GM didn't listen. We all saw what happened there.

The frustrating point is Apple could earn a lot of goodwill (and, yes, more sales) by offering a trivial option their customers would happily pay for. Yet Apple doesn't do it.
post #25 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Already there. I've deferred a handful of iMac purchases this year alone because we need computers, not mirrors.

So try turning them on and you'll stop whining. Screens tend to light up of their own accord.

FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE.

Quote:
This may have rather insidious effects for Apple.

You and your five matte friends have nothing to do with Apple's success.

Quote:
They're in boom times, why should they care about a squeaky wheel? Reminds me of pre-disaster General Motors: sales were great, product was flawed, consumers screamed for better, GM didn't listen. We all saw what happened there.

Yeah. Apple continued to sell millions of devices, more each quarter, because 90% of the population couldn't care less.

Oh, sorry, I thought you were talking about anything remotely the same as we were.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #26 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Either that - or the tiny percentage of people who are all worked up about the glass but are too cheap to buy a screen protector are very, very vocal.

I could not agree more, I purchased my first gloss screen from Apple last year and have loved it since day one for photo editing and video work, that monster 27 is a dream; and in fact my wife and I liked them so much we treated all of our employees to new 27" cinemas a month after we bought ours, we have not had any complaints about them so far; rather the opposite they have been praising the new monitors.

Some people just like to complain about anything they can
post #27 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I don't have anything glossy in my house. My Aquos HDTV is matted. My dying BenQ notebook is matted. My Samsung 22" monitor is matted, yet I plan to buy a new MBA (and an iMac later). I don't like it but I think I can live with it. :sigh:

Yes, immediately after ordering my iPad, I also purchased a matte screen film. Glossy screens are, well, just too glossy for me!
post #28 of 89
It could be that Lion was due to launch either Thursday or Friday just gone, but for whatever reason Apple are having to delay the launch. So, all the work to relaunch apple.com was in place with Lion wallpapers on all the screens, but this is now all on hold and Lion related content is being removed for the time being.
post #29 of 89
Has to be in preparation for the Thunderbolt+Lion-loaded MacBook Air.
I am the Great Bug

:-P
Reply
I am the Great Bug

:-P
Reply
post #30 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorsNewClothes View Post

It could be that Lion was due to launch either Thursday or Friday just gone, but for whatever reason Apple are having to delay the launch. So, all the work to relaunch apple.com was in place with Lion wallpapers on all the screens, but this is now all on hold and Lion related content is being removed for the time being.

Hope they're still fixing Lion. The GM's bugs need ironed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatBug View Post

Has to be in preparation for the Thunderbolt+Lion-loaded MacBook Air.

They really don't have a thing to do with one another.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #31 of 89
Can the Intel HD graphics in the 13' Pro push two large displays plus its own like that? Heck, the base 15' might even struggle with its higher end AMD 6490 with only 256mb of video memory.
post #32 of 89
Wow! A MacBook Pro with it's monitor hooked to two more monitors and my Final Cut Pro X that can't use either of the two extra monitors... Just what I needed!!!
post #33 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

No, it's called spoon-clanging. You want them to listen to you? You have to hit them where it hurts: drastically lowered sales for a product because Mac owners are buying their display units elsewhere because they want a matte option.

Good luck with that campaign. If you really "need* a matte screen, why not just buy a MacPro or a mini and hook up one of several matte screen displays that can be had? Apple won't even notice you and the 12 others who did so and all will be happy.
post #34 of 89
The original discovery was actually posted on FinalCutStudio.info's fan page at https://www.facebook.com/FinalCutStu...20647051304704 three hours before it was reported on TUAB as mentioned in the article.
post #35 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Already there. I've deferred a handful of iMac purchases this year alone because we need computers, not mirrors.

When you state that does it even sound rational to you? IMac is a very good computer, it is silky to say it isn't when it is one of the best iMac offerings ever.
Quote:

This may have rather insidious effects for Apple. They're in boom times, why should they care about a squeaky wheel? Reminds me of pre-disaster General Motors: sales were great, product was flawed, consumers screamed for better, GM didn't listen. We all saw what happened there.

the problem here is that the product isnt flawed at all. Rather it is your bone headed belief that matte screens are superior.

You are so set in your ways that if you did buy a new iMac the first thing you would do is set it up to look for those dreaded reflections. You would make sure you found some too. All the while you would ignore any of the positive aspects of the screens.
Quote:
The frustrating point is Apple could earn a lot of goodwill (and, yes, more sales) by offering a trivial option their customers would happily pay for. Yet Apple doesn't do it.

They certainly could if they sold enough to justify the expense of a matte screen. I don't see this ever happening because most people realize it is a poor choice.

Think about what a matte screen does. It effectively blurs the image on screen. Now imagine a resolution doubled screen, what would be the point in all off those pixels if they are rendered in distinct due to a matte screen?

Now would it be bad of Apple to try to attack this problem in a different way. Say for example a vacuum coated anti reflection surface on the glass? No it wouldn't be a bad idea but it would be more costly than a matte screen yet again.
post #36 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorsNewClothes View Post

It could be that Lion was due to launch either Thursday or Friday just gone, but for whatever reason Apple are having to delay the launch. So, all the work to relaunch apple.com was in place with Lion wallpapers on all the screens, but this is now all on hold and Lion related content is being removed for the time being.

1. As Tallest Skill pointed out they might be fixing some bugs that slipped into the GM.
2. The last quarter could be a blow out and they are scheming to release after the numbers are rekeased so that brand new machines are in the pipeline along with all the PR buzz.
3. Something else happened. Maybe they where looking for a mole or something else that hasn't come to light.

I still suspect that this is a minor delay. We may only be talking a week or two.
post #37 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So try turning them on and you'll stop whining. Screens tend to light up of their own accord.

FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE.

Have turned them on, makes no difference. As I'm not egotistical or paranoid, I don't need to spend each day looking at my reflection and everything behind me.

Apple could introduce an opaque screen coating, and you'd probably argue how great it was.

Quote:
You and your five matte friends have nothing to do with Apple's success.

I dunno, Apple was pretty successful before matte came along. And IIRC nobody asked for gloss, Apple imposed it.


Quote:
Yeah. Apple continued to sell millions of devices, more each quarter, because 90% of the population couldn't care less.

90% of the population also uses Windows. Just sayin'.
post #38 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Have turned them on, makes no difference.

Other then the fact that they don't act as "mirrors" when they're turned on.

Quote:
As I'm not egotistical or paranoid, I don't need to spend each day looking at my reflection and everything behind me.

Then how about actually trying to look at an iMac or any other glossy screen before you say another word? It's obvious you haven't. At least, not when they're on.

Quote:
Apple could introduce an opaque screen coating, and you'd probably argue how great it was.

There you go again, implying glossy screens change the way you see the interface. Nonsense.

Quote:
I dunno, Apple was pretty successful before matte came along. And IIRC nobody asked for gloss, Apple imposed it.

Your first sentence doesn't make any sense.

And please explain how you suffered through the CRT era. Or maybe you just weren't born when people were using CRTs.

Quote:
90% of the population also uses Windows. Just sayin'.

OS choice has nothing to do with what kind of screen you use.

Because you can just by any of the ten million matte screens that other people sell.

The argument was over before it started. You want Apple to change? Stop buying their products. It's pretty simple to understand.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #39 of 89
I just have to laugh at all the glossy Apple displays, before returning to my matte finish 30" Cinema displays (which can still be found on ebay and craigslist.) More pixels than the 27-incher is better, too.
post #40 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

I just have to laugh at all the glossy Apple displays, before returning to my matte finish 30" Cinema displays (which can still be found on ebay and craigslist.) More pixels than the 27-incher is better, too.

Enjoy your slowly-dying backlight and your eight-year-old panel.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple Cinema Display page under maintenance ahead of Thunderbolt update