or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › RIM rumored to cease production of 'weak' selling Wi-Fi PlayBook
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RIM rumored to cease production of 'weak' selling Wi-Fi PlayBook - Page 2

post #41 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

yeah, but it's so slow and clunky it's more like this guy:

It's as cutting edge as



Everybody on Mongo loves Flash!
post #42 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

Next of Kin.

+1.
post #43 of 76
In other breaking news, I've heard rumours that Apple may be discontinuing it's top-selling iPad 2. These rumours suggest that, much like RIM, they will replace it with another model - likely to be called the iPad 3.

You heard it here first.
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
post #44 of 76
Quote:

I see no contradiction. It is possible for both stories to be true. RIM orders more tablets to be produced than they can sell. The cancel production for a while, and start shipping the excess abroad. RIM has no problem getting tablets on shelves; it's getting consumers to get them off the shelves that RIM and others are struggling with.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
post #45 of 76
isn't there only one model. Therefore, shouldn't the rumor be that RIM is considering stopping production on the Playbook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

I am doubting this rumour.

Granted, sales aren't in the same universe as the iPad (no tablet is), but it is selling on par with many an Android tablet. So why stop?

I thought they were direct order only? The Android tablets are pushing a lotin the channel but no actually selling any to consumers. Does RIM even have a channel for these?
post #46 of 76
what a BS rumour. RIM may be capable of some real stupidity, but this one's pushing it.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #47 of 76
What's with all of the vitriol and schadenfreude?
post #48 of 76
When the concept of Playbook was first announced I had high hopes for the product. Mainly because the world needs a non Android competitor to the iPad. Playbooks initial concept was not bad but they went down hill real fast by throwing everything but the kitchen sink into the machine (except mail).

It is very much a sign of poor leadership and a sign that no one in power at RIM has a vision. If a cOmpany lacks these essentials there is no reason to feel sad for them, all companies come to an end at some point (unless a democrat is in the white house). It is very much the nature of business.

Who knows maybe HP can get a credible tablet OS running by the end of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Even if one is not a BB fan, this is sad news. More jobs will be lost. A once dynamic and innovative company keeps sliding. I personally do not see any reason to rejoice over such news.
post #49 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Better say bye bye to Mr.Mike Lazaridis. How embarrassing, but didn't we saw this coming?
I was in Best Buy the other day and the playbook wasn't even on. Damn. But the ipads and the macs are always front and center "ON'.

I don't know why we revere CEO's so much...the average college GPA for current CEO's is a C- and 95% of the companies where the founder gives control to a CEO end up going out of business, eventually. Ford, Walmart, McDoland's, Boeing are the "outliers!"

Think what fools the Verizon Executive mgt. were when Stevo came with the original iPhone. Look at RIM, what a disaster. Same with Palm, Sony, Dell and MS. Ugh!
post #50 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

yeah, but it's so slow and clunky it's more like this guy:

(image of early rendition of DC's Flash character

At least Johnny Quick never entered the fray:

post #51 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

It will be interesting what RIM can do with QNX. The phone hardware is what is driving my co-workers away from their cherished Blackberries... not sure how RIM can regain the mindshare they have lost over the last 3 years.

I agree. The average user (buyer of 95% of the products) don't care what the operating system is. They care how the phone / tablet looks and behaves. So if QNX is going to be something truly revolutionary - then good call on RIM's part. But if it's just a different OS with pretty much the same interface as iOS, Windows, Android, etc -- then YAWN YAWN YAWN and fire the rest of the company 'cause it's headed there anyway.
post #52 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

When the concept of Playbook was first announced I had high hopes for the product. Mainly because the world needs a non Android competitor to the iPad. Playbooks initial concept was not bad but they went down hill real fast by throwing everything but the kitchen sink into the machine (except mail).

It is very much a sign of poor leadership and a sign that no one in power at RIM has a vision. If a cOmpany lacks these essentials there is no reason to feel sad for them, all companies come to an end at some point (unless a democrat is in the white house). It is very much the nature of business.

Who knows maybe HP can get a credible tablet OS running by the end of the year.

The banking industry cratered under the watch of Bush(hint:he's a republican) and he sent his treasury secretary Henry Paulson to congress to ask for almost a trillion dollars to bail them out.
post #53 of 76
RIM and no player can beat Apple at its own game -- and they own the whole stadium at this point.

RIM has not responded to the iPhone and determined how to make the Blackberry, their core product, preferable to the iPhone in their core market. That's what happens when bean counters run your company. They tried to diversify instead and lost focus.

Maybe they should have reconsidered the Flip as their core product, then concentrated on adding more features until it became the Flip-phone and Flip-MP3.
post #54 of 76
I certainly don't wish ill will on RIM, as I was a long time Blackberry owner, and happy for it...until their devices got slow and buggy.

Then, instead of innovating and recognizing seriously good competition in iPhone and iPad, they combined ignorance with arrogance (the 'amateur hour's over' marketing campaign in response to the huge success of iPad was a total "emperor's wearing no clothes" moment), which finally pushed me to iPhone when it became available on Verizon.

But, then they compounded the problem by launching their 'shoot the messenger' service when confronted with tough questions at media events. That kind of lost them the final morsels of sympathy, as we have seen this movie before and no how it ends.

Finally, tell me how a company that has made their name by penetrating big enterprises and carriers, falls so in love with consumers that they completely ignore their core market to the point of being even irrelevant there?

Love or hate Apple, at least you know that they don't so fall in love with their position that they are afraid to cannibalize themselves before the competition does.
post #55 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

I agree. The average user (buyer of 95% of the products) don't care what the operating system is. They care how the phone / tablet looks and behaves. So if QNX is going to be something truly revolutionary - then good call on RIM's part. But if it's just a different OS with pretty much the same interface as iOS, Windows, Android, etc -- then YAWN YAWN YAWN and fire the rest of the company 'cause it's headed there anyway.

It boggles the mind to hear all of this talk of QNX, as if there is something magical in an OS, and an embedded one at that.

Customers don't buy attributes, they buy outcomes, and NOTHING in RIM marketing has spoken to a unique, compelling outcome that is RIM's vision to take its customers to.

In that regard, all of the Flash talk by them is a bearish indicator that they are beyond clueless.
post #56 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

They're sliding because they laughed at Apple entering "their" market. They refused to see the future as it was going to be and kept the staus quo. I don't feel sad one bit. It's natural selection in action, survival of the fittest. Meanwhile AAPL is at an all time high of around $374

Actually it is well known that RIM had a near-heart attack after Jobs' demo of the iPhone in 2007. And for good reason.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #57 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Actually it is well known that RIM had a near-heart attack after Jobs' demo of the iPhone in 2007. And for good reason.

Yes, they actually didn't believe the iPhone was real. They thought Jobs was overstating it's abilities and battery life. They had so little imagination that it was like alien tech to them.

It is possible for another company to compete with Apple and the iPad. It would require a "skunkworks" type of division. With a talented design manager who would be in total control of the device and OS. You could probably hire someone from one of the more creative small gadget companies. You would want all new engineers - no one from the existing RIM would be involved. Oh and you would need lots of money and no interference.

Of course by the time you finished the project Apple would be so far ahead of you it wouldn't matter.
post #58 of 76
Quote:
It's also possible that RIM may believe a forthcoming 3G/4G model, expected to launch in two to three months, could cannibalize sales of Wi-Fi-only models.

that must be one skinny cannibal.
post #59 of 76
Research In Retreat
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
Reply
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
Reply
post #60 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

The banking industry cratered under the watch of Bush(hint:he's a republican) and he sent his treasury secretary Henry Paulson to congress to ask for almost a trillion dollars to bail them out.

There is an old saying that if you owe your bank a thousand dollars you are in trouble, but if you owe them a billion they are in trouble. Now we can add, if you owe them a trillion, the government is in trouble
post #61 of 76
dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum FLASH! (dum...) Ah Ahhhh, Ah... Saviour of the Copycats!

...not really
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
Reply
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
Reply
post #62 of 76
Quote:

The funny thing about that response is that it said nothing about how sales were going, only that they were pushing it out to more countries. I guess if you can't sell them in the countries they are in, try selling them somewhere else, right?
post #63 of 76
hmmm, interesting. Mr. Abramsky got some track record in the past:
http://www.edibleapple.com/why-rbc-a...-him-in-check/
post #64 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Yes, they actually didn't believe the iPhone was real. They thought Jobs was overstating it's abilities and battery life. They had so little imagination that it was like alien tech to them.

It is possible for another company to compete with Apple and the iPad. It would require a "skunkworks" type of division. With a talented design manager who would be in total control of the device and OS. You could probably hire someone from one of the more creative small gadget companies. You would want all new engineers - no one from the existing RIM would be involved. Oh and you would need lots of money and no interference.

Of course by the time you finished the project Apple would be so far ahead of you it wouldn't matter.

Very insightful post. Seriously.
post #65 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But it has Flash¡

It has FAIL

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #66 of 76
RIM should do away with having co-CEOs. There should be only one Chief Executive Officer.
post #67 of 76
Quote:
I certainly don't wish ill will on RIM, as I was a long time Blackberry owner, and happy for it...until their devices got slow and buggy.

You'll get no objection from me on this.

Quote:
Then, instead of innovating and recognizing seriously good competition in iPhone and iPad, they combined ignorance with arrogance (the 'amateur hour's over' marketing campaign in response to the huge success of iPad was a total "emperor's wearing no clothes" moment), which finally pushed me to iPhone when it became available on Verizon.

Now, let's not forget that Apple is no stranger to these kinds of marketing tactics. However, taking swipes at the kingpin and calling it an amateur was never at the core of Apple's marketing strategy.

But, then they compounded the problem by launching their 'shoot the messenger' service when confronted with tough questions at media events. That kind of lost them the final morsels of sympathy, as we have seen this movie before and no how it ends.

Quote:
Finally, tell me how a company that has made their name by penetrating big enterprises and carriers, falls so in love with consumers that they completely ignore their core market to the point of being even irrelevant there?

What do you expect RIM to say? Every CEO, including Jobs, dodges tough questions. As for going after the consumer market, that's where the money is. Apple's products are geared towards the consumer market but there are some enterprise-friendly features. However, Apple could do a whole lot more to make its phones as enterprise-friendly as RIM. But Apple is not about to throw away the fast-growing consumer market for enterprise. RIM has been the opposite: enterprise-friendly but some consumer-oriented features. Now, RIM is trying to become more consumer-oriented. RIM is trying to have the best of both worlds.

Quote:
Love or hate Apple, at least you know that they don't so fall in love with their position that they are afraid to cannibalize themselves before the competition does.

I suppose.
post #68 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Even if one is not a BB fan, this is sad news. More jobs will be lost. A once dynamic and innovative company keeps sliding. I personally do not see any reason to rejoice over such news.

Well said.

philip
post #69 of 76
No surprise.
The store I used to work in has sold 3 of these since launch. Recently they started a deal where it is bundled with a choice of BB phone and they havent sold a single one.

Totally misguided product.
post #70 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But it has Flash¡

The playbook has a lot going for it, not sure why anyone wouldn't want more choice in the marketplace.

I like it's size and the cards metaphor - it also has a decent camera. Each to their own.
post #71 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

It's as cutting edge as

[img]Flash and Ming[/img]

Everybody on Mongo loves Flash!

Ceratinly is a bit of an evil ming around RIM
post #72 of 76
RIM's problems were predicted a year ago. But no one believed it then: http://bit.ly/q4wiyi; http://bit.ly/pwiWPY

For those wishing a comeback, just remember that corporate comebacks are as probable as winning a lottery. Outside of Apple and IBM, there are not too many examples unless the government props up a company. The Canadian government allowed Nortel to die and will do the same for RIM. Short the stock, baby!
post #73 of 76
You mean no one wants to watch Jennifer Lopez videos while watching a movie in the background at the same time? I never understood why Rim touted this.
post #74 of 76
So once RIM stops making the PlayBook, does it mean Amateur Hour is over

post #75 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

There is an old saying that if you owe your bank a thousand dollars you are in trouble, but if you owe them a billion they are in trouble. Now we can add, if you owe them a trillion, the government is in trouble

We used to be able to trust the big banks with trillions in loans. Until they figured out a way to take the profits on those loans without assuming the risk. I wish we would have at least charged the big banks the maximum legal interest rate on the money we lent them. That's what would and does happen to the rest of us if we make terrible financial decisions.
Of course "if wishes were horses...".
post #76 of 76
Wow, well it was lacking important features.
13'' MacBook Pro
16GB iPad 2 (White)
32GB iPhone 4 (White)
Reply
13'' MacBook Pro
16GB iPad 2 (White)
32GB iPhone 4 (White)
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • RIM rumored to cease production of 'weak' selling Wi-Fi PlayBook
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › RIM rumored to cease production of 'weak' selling Wi-Fi PlayBook