or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple profits surge 125% on record sales of 20.34M iPhones, 9.25M iPads
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple profits surge 125% on record sales of 20.34M iPhones, 9.25M iPads - Page 2

post #41 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Is it just me or is Apple being extremely pessimistic with their forward guidance? I mean, dropping from earnings of $7.79 per share to $5.50 when heading into the holiday quarter is mind bogglingly low, right? I know they like to surprise up, but this is crazy... (or am I missing something?)

The next quarter is the current quarter: fiscal Q4-2011 and calendar Q3-2011. We'll know in 3 months what their guidance is for the Holiday quarter… unless I'm missing something.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #42 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The next quarter is the current quarter: fiscal Q4-2011 and calendar Q3-2011. We'll know in 3 months what their guidance is for the Holiday quarter unless I'm missing something.

ONT just passed 400!
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #43 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Actually, to be more clear, those numbers only cite the iPhone and iPad sales this quarter plus the iPod lineup. They have yet to break out the iPod Touch numbers. Let's just say they sold over 3 million iPod Touch devices, then the combined total iOS devices sold, over the last 90 days puts them over 32 million devices [32,59 million].

That's 362,111 iOS Devices sold, per day. If it's 4 million iPod Touch devices, the per day sale of iOS devices becomes: 373,222.

[]

They stated that 50% of the 7.5 million iPod sales were Touches.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #44 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Is it just me or is Apple being extremely pessimistic with their forward guidance? I mean, dropping from earnings of $7.79 per share to $5.50 when heading into the holiday quarter is mind bogglingly low, right? I know they like to surprise up, but this is crazy... (or am I missing something?)

Historically, the 4th Quarter is small next to the Christmas [1st quarter]. The big back to school push is strong through August but doesn't continue through September.

Yes, they will blow out their estimates, but the guidance is a respectable one relative to their history.
post #45 of 92
APPLE ACTIVATED 220 million devices last quarterhttp://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20080555-248/apple-posts-$28b-quarter-announces-lion-launch/?tag=topStories1

ipad
ipod touch
iphone

220,000,000.oo divide by 90 days equas 2,440,000, day
A DAY !!!!

MONEY WISE THATS billions of bucks compared to zero for android



9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #46 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

We don't. All we know is that they've reported higher and higher activations every few months. Do you really think they are taking an average for the past 90s to state that total? I don't, nor would I do that. I would wait for some milestone quantity, like 550k, to hit and then publicly state it. It doesn't matter if it dropped to 540k, 530k, or 350k the next day. They are stating milestones, while Apple is reporting total numbers which we must average.

They reported 100mil in mid May and 130mil in mid July. Those were reported as totals.
post #47 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

220,000,000.oo divide by 90 days equas 2,440,000, day
A DAY !!!!

Maybe I'm missing irony here but that 220mil number was total, not quarterly. The quarterly number was around 34 mil
post #48 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

They reported 100mil in mid May and 130mil in mid July. Those were reported as totals.

Okay, I see where you're going with that. That's 30 million in around 60 days. That is 500k per day average, assuming it was exactly 60 days.

edit: That's still activations of Android v. sales of iOS-based devices. If you buy an Android phone, activate it, hate it, return it does that count as an activation? Furthermore, if you sell it and someone else sets it up with their Google credentials does that same device get another activation or is tied to the phones HW ID for the first and only first activation?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #49 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyinscotland View Post

Wow! AAPL up to $505,545,728.

Full size.

Well I sold my stock! Woo Hoo!!

What?!... Aw mannnnn.... only 376.85!

Who the heck keeps the stock ticker up to date?... SEARS!!!
/
/
/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #50 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Maybe I'm missing irony here but that 220mil number was total, not quarterly. The quarterly number was around 34 mil

sorry i just caught that
its 220 million to date by > mr c
android made zero

that was all
sounds stupid now

peace and thanks for the heads up

9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #51 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Okay, I see where you're going with that. That's 30 million in around 60 days. That is 500k per day average, assuming it was exactly 60 days.

I think it was a little more than 60 days, but then they didn't announce the 500k till late June. At any rate I'm convinced that they're not just pulling out a peak figure and trying to pass it as an average.

Quote:
edit: That's still activations of Android v. sales of iOS-based devices. If you buy an Android phone, activate it, hate it, return it does that count as an activation? Furthermore, if you sell it and someone else sets it up with their Google credentials does that same device get another activation or is tied to the phones HW ID for the first and only first activation?

No argument there of course. It may be an average, but it's unclear what it's an average of exactly. It's certainly doesn't seem like it's unduly constraining Apple's growth.
post #52 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The next quarter is the current quarter: fiscal Q4-2011 and calendar Q3-2011. We'll know in 3 months what their guidance is for the Holiday quarter unless I'm missing something.

Oh, right. Thanks. I was so excited I jumped ahead a quarter!
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #53 of 92
I wonder what Apple's number of iPhones sold would be if SJ adopted the Android strategy of "buy one, get one free".
post #54 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Okay, I see where you're going with that. That's 30 million in around 60 days. That is 500k per day average, assuming it was exactly 60 days.

edit: That's still activations of Android v. sales of iOS-based devices. If you buy an Android phone, activate it, hate it, return it does that count as an activation? Furthermore, if you sell it and someone else sets it up with their Google credentials does that same device get another activation or is tied to the phones HW ID for the first and only first activation?

Yes. Is it one activation per device or a new activation per device per user.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #55 of 92
You know if Android fails to compete in the Tablet space Apple may catch up without the need of a cheap iPhone.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #56 of 92
I expect them to sell as many iPads as iPhones at Christmas.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #57 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Historically, the 4th Quarter is small next to the Christmas [1st quarter]. The big back to school push is strong through August but doesn't continue through September.

Yes, they will blow out their estimates, but the guidance is a respectable one relative to their history.

It's still odd though. I find it hard to believe they will sell $3.6 billion LESS next quarter.
post #58 of 92
and to think i wanted to buy apple stock when the ipod mini came out, before the split, when the price was ~$30.

if i was 5 years older at the time i could have bought some :-( unfortunately even with apple's incredible success buying this high doesn't seem like a good option.
post #59 of 92
The Mac total would have been even HIGHER, had the new MacBook Air been released a month earlier. (Supposed to be released tomorrow with 10.7, if rumors are to be believed.)
post #60 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Lets see....

20,340,000 iPhones.
~13 weeks per quarter.
1,564,615 iPhones per week.

Throw on another...
9,250,000 iPads
at 711,538 per week.

That is more than 2 million iOS devices getting activated per week excluding the iPod.

(What was the Android number? 500,000?)

As you were told, Android is 550,000 per day (allegedly). Your number for iOS doesn't include iPods, but IIRC, that would add about 600 K per week - so the total number of iOS devices sold is somewhere around 2.8 to 3 million.

HOWEVER, the big flaw is that we don't know what Google means by activations. One person here claimed that a Google engineer told him that every time you swap SIM cards, it's a new activation. Until Google starts publishing actual sales figures, you can't really do a comparison.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #61 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Yes. Is it one activation per device or a new activation per device per user.

Google has never stated that. In fact, they've refused to say exactly what they mean by 'activation'.

The fact that it would be easy for them to publish sales figures suggests that they're intentionally obfuscating.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #62 of 92
android 550K/day

most of them are Buy one get one deals, $5/$10 crap phones in 3rd world countries running Android 1.3

ROFL!


Android = CRAP

CNN: Obamacare largest tax increase in American history

 

FORBES: ObamaCare's 7 Tax Hikes On Middle class

Reply

CNN: Obamacare largest tax increase in American history

 

FORBES: ObamaCare's 7 Tax Hikes On Middle class

Reply
post #63 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's still odd though. I find it hard to believe they will sell $3.6 billion LESS next quarter.

Yeah, thats what I was trying to get at (despite my "holiday quarter" blunder.
My fear is that they are worried about the iPhone5 transition--massive shortages keeping the quarter's sales lower than they could be. I hope that, instead, they are just being ridiculously cautious...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #64 of 92
Would love to be a fly on the wall of some editor's offices today, especially when they call in the tech writers who have been claiming tablet/iPad sales are dying. How did that stupid meme get started anyway? I've seen at least a half-dozen articles about how the iPad is dying in the last month. Clearly, that's not the case.
post #65 of 92
20 million iPhones in a QUARTER? Wow. That is freaking impressive. I also enjoyed this image today:

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #66 of 92
Interesting tidbit from Forbes...

"Apple sold 33 million iPads, iPhones, and iPod touches during the quarter ending in June. By contrast, HP sold just 14.8 million PCs during the second quarter. Dell sold only 10.6 million. Suddenly, the post-PC era is here."

Apple's iOS device business is larger than HP's an Dell's PC businesses combined. That's just astounding. Yes, the post-PC era has definitely arrived.
post #67 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

android 550K/day

most of them are Buy one get one deals, $5/$10 crap phones in 3rd world countries running Android 1.3

ROFL!


Android = CRAP

Let's be fair. Not all Android phones are crap. Many of them, yes, but not all. Regardless of activation numbers (which I consider a meaningless metric when comparing any mobile platform) Apple is thriving even under the best Google and their partners can unleash which is remarkable.
post #68 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

Let's be fair. Not all Android phones are crap. Many of them, yes, but not all. Regardless of activation numbers (which I consider a meaningless metric when comparing any mobile platform) Apple is thriving even under the best Google and their partners can unleash which is remarkable.

All in all another stellar quarter for the Apple cash machine. I don't agree with all their methods, but there's no arguing the magnitude of their success is amazing. The decision by Steve Jobs to go up against the entrenched and market leading Sony MP3 players years ago was the single most important step he's made at Apple IMO. It's made everything else that's followed possible.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #69 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

Let's be fair. Not all Android phones are crap. Many of them, yes, but not all. Regardless of activation numbers (which I consider a meaningless metric when comparing any mobile platform) Apple is thriving even under the best Google and their partners can unleash which is remarkable.

Well, they're all crap because the Android OS is crap.

CNN: Obamacare largest tax increase in American history

 

FORBES: ObamaCare's 7 Tax Hikes On Middle class

Reply

CNN: Obamacare largest tax increase in American history

 

FORBES: ObamaCare's 7 Tax Hikes On Middle class

Reply
post #70 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

Well, they're all crap because the Android OS is crap.

I got a free ticket to see the final Harry Potter with my son. But even tho I didn't pay for the ticket, I thought the movie was fantastic.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #71 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I believe the technical term for the amount of money Apple have made is "a shit load"!

In an age when companies boost profit by making things cheaper and cheaper and crapper and crapper it's great that there is still a company doing better than all of them by sticking by quality.

applauding!!!
post #72 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I got a free ticket to see the final Harry Potter with my son. But even tho I didn't pay for the ticket, I thought the movie was fantastic.

Out of curiosity, what's your perspective on the android fragmentation problem? To me it seems like the biggest long term problem that the platform faces. Fragmentation, and poor OS level support from OEMs/carriers seems certain to end up degrading the user experience- especially when iOS users are running round doing all the latest cool stuff on 3 year old handsets.
post #73 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Out of curiosity, what's your perspective on the android fragmentation problem? To me it seems like the biggest long term problem that the platform faces. Fragmentation, and poor OS level support from OEMs/carriers seems certain to end up degrading the user experience- especially when iOS users are running round doing all the latest cool stuff on 3 year old handsets.

You're right that fragmentation had been a big issue. Less so now as far as OS version and app compatibility. But hardware compatibility is perhaps even more of an issue now compared to 6 months ago IMO. While the overwhelming percentage of Android handsets are now on 2.1 and up and therefor technically meeting the OS requirements for nearly every application in the Android Market, games are particularly problematic. Those wonderful HD-quality shooters with fast action and immersive graphics are only usable on the more recent higher-end smartphones with fast processors and lots of memory. Simply having the latest OS version isn't enough.

That's the reason for Google's recent efforts at setting minimum hardware requirements if an Android partner is to be part of the "in-crowd". I believe they'll get there with most of the manufacturers, particularly on the mainstream devices. So I don't see the OS version as a big problem any longer. Hardware consistency, especially minimum standards, is the bigger problem. If only there were three or four models, like Apple's product line, it would be easy to control.

Having now said that, I do think Apple sometimes takes the easy way out and drops support for some features on older hardware to make things easier for themselves rather than due to actual hardware limitation. Just ask Microsoft haw much effort is needed to support legacy systems. It would certainly be easier, cheaper and reduce problems if they'd just say they weren't supporting those older computers and tablets still using Vista. (I think they finally are ending support for XP)
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #74 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You're right that fragmentation had been a big issue. Less so now as far as OS version and app compatibility. But hardware compatibility is perhaps even more of an issue now compared to 6 months ago IMO. While the overwhelming percentage of Android handsets are now on 2.1 and up and therefor technically meeting the OS requirements for nearly every application in the Android Market, games are particularly problematic. Those wonderful HD-quality shooters with fast action and immersive graphics are only usable on the more recent higher-end smartphones with fast processors and lots of memory. Simply having the latest OS version isn't enough.

Right, I know Hulu+ was only released to a handful of phones, presumably due to hardware requirements? I think that will result in considerable consumer dissatisfaction in the long term. If buying an android phone means you still can't run half the software, people just aren't used to minimum specs on phones.

Quote:
Having now said that, I do think Apple sometimes takes the easy way out and drops support for some features on older hardware to make things easier for themselves rather than due to actual hardware limitation.

What are you thinking of here specifically? At least in the mobile space Apple seems to be giving longer product life than industry average.
post #75 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's still odd though. I find it hard to believe they will sell $3.6 billion LESS next quarter.

For perspective: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010...r-Results.html

Quote:
Apple Reports Fourth Quarter Results
Record Mac, iPhone and iPad Sales
Highest Revenue and Earnings Ever


CUPERTINO, CaliforniaOctober 18, 2010Apple® today announced financial results for its fiscal 2010 fourth quarter ended September 25, 2010. The Company posted record revenue of $20.34 billion and net quarterly profit of $4.31 billion, or $4.64 per diluted share. These results compare to revenue of $12.21 billion and net quarterly profit of $2.53 billion, or $2.77 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 36.9 percent compared to 41.8 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 57 percent of the quarters revenue.

Apple sold 3.89 million Macs during the quarter, a 27 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter. The Company sold 14.1 million iPhones in the quarter, representing 91 percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter. Apple sold 9.05 million iPods during the quarter, representing an 11 percent unit decline from the year-ago quarter. The Company also sold 4.19 million iPads during the quarter.

We are blown away to report over $20 billion in revenue and over $4 billion in after-tax earningsboth all-time records for Apple, said Steve Jobs, Apples CEO. iPhone sales of 14.1 million were up 91 percent year-over-year, handily beating the 12.1 million phones RIM sold in their most recent quarter. We still have a few surprises left for the remainder of this calendar year.

Were thrilled with the performance and strength of our business, generating almost $5.7 billion in cash flow from operations during the quarter, said Peter Oppenheimer, Apples CFO. Looking ahead to the first fiscal quarter of 2011, we expect revenue of about $23 billion and we expect diluted earnings per share of about $4.80.

Oppenheimer is forecasting a $5 Billion+ revenue increase from Q42010.

That's reasonable.
post #76 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Right, I know Hulu+ was only released to a handful of phones, presumably due to hardware requirements? I think that will result in considerable consumer dissatisfaction in the long term. If buying an android phone means you still can't run half the software, people just aren't used to minimum specs on phones.



What are you thinking of here specifically? At least in the mobile space Apple seems to be giving longer product life than industry average.

The most obvious would be iOS4.3x and the lack of any support for the 3G.

The hardware differences going from the 3G to the 3GS aren't enormous. CPU went from 4-something to 600MHz, and the RAM from 128 to 256. The only other substantial difference I know of is a different graphics chip which added support for additional gaming features (I think). Yet no new features offered by 4.3 made it to the 3G. I feel certain that Apple could have made at least some improvements available. IMO, it was a decision based on both marketing and the path of least resistance. Stop the feature improvements/additions and give users a reason to upgrade, while at the same time allow the software engineers to concentrate on one or two hardware setups, speeding development and keeping costs down.

I have no proof that the existing 3G hardware could run many of the new 4.3 features, but highly doubt that it wasn't capable of using any of them. There's others here much more knowledgeable than me that could probably comment on that with more authority. But my opinion is Apple took the easy (and less expensive) way out by avoiding further development for an older model (which was still being sold just 2 years ago.) Not saying they were necessarily wrong to do so either.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #77 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The hardware differences going from the 3G to the 3GS aren't enormous. CPU went from 4-something to 600MHz, and the RAM from 128 to 256.

Well the RAM increase is pretty stonking isn't it? It's entirely plausible that iOS 4.3 just crept above the memory footprint that would allow it to run well on the 3G, and they have continued to supply security fixes to 4.2.

30 months of active OS support and security support after that is pretty good for a smartphone. How many Android phones from 2008 were still getting support until 2011? Heck how many android devices are shipping now with Froyo? I believe there are devices in stores that ship with Eclair!

What will be interesting to see is whether the iPhone-3GS gets support for iOS 6. I think Apple's target is 3 years of full OS support from launch.
post #78 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Oppenheimer is forecasting a $5 Billion+ revenue increase from Q42010.

That's reasonable.

The previous two years Q4 results were a sequential increase over Q3 though, so it is interesting.
post #79 of 92
Anybody here still under the absolute delusion that iPad demand is anywhere near "slowing" down? As I pointed out before and confirmed in the conference call, only 36 countries carry the iPad 2, with only 64 total countries carrying a mix of iPad 1 and 2 as of end of calendar Q2 2011. Compare this with iPhone in 105 countries.

I'd be very surprised if iPad doesn't hit an average of 15 million per calendar quarter for the rest of this year.

Calendar
Q1 4 million
Q2 9 million
Q3 13 milllion
Q4 17 million
= 43 million

We're looking at between 40 to 45 million iPads for calendar 2011.
post #80 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

For perspective: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010...r-Results.html

Oppenheimer is forecasting a $5 Billion+ revenue increase from Q42010.

That's reasonable.

It's just managing investor expectations... Year-ago comparisons are virtually meaningless at this stage. It is highly unlikely in fiscal Q4 2011 that Apple will post less than their 28 billion in revenue this fiscal Q3 2011.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple profits surge 125% on record sales of 20.34M iPhones, 9.25M iPads