or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple planning major (iPhone) product transition by end of September

Apple planning major (iPhone) product transition by end of September

post #1 of 35
Apple during its quarterly conference call on Tuesday revealed that it will undergo a 'future product transition' sometime during the current September quarter but declined to disclose any formal details about the move which almost certainly pertains to the launch of the company's next-generation iPhone handset.

Specifically, Morgan Stanley analyst Katie Huberty asked Apple Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer during the call why he was guiding the company to see a 12% revenue decline during the September quarter, which has historically proven to be one of the company's stronger periods.

To this, Oppenheimer commented that the Cupertino-based company has "a lot going on in the fall with iOS 5 and iCloud" in addition to a "future product transition that we will not talk about today" but will have a material impact on the September quarter.

The comments seem to support widespread claims that Apple will introduce its fifth-generation handset sometime during the three-month period ending September 30th. As such, the company guided revenue to $25 billion for the quarter, compared to the $28.57 billion it reported during the June quarter, under the expectation that iPhone sales will slow sometime over the next 10 weeks as consumers begin anticipating the launch of the new handset.

On average, industry watchers expect Apple to introduce the new handset during or by the time the company holds its annual music and media event, which has traditionally taken place during either the first or second week of September. However, at least one recent report suggests an announcement could come as early as mid-August, as Apple has put out calls seeking temporary "full-time iPhone Sales Staff for an exciting project" from August 16th till October 29th "within key retail stores."

To date, very few details regarding Apple's plans for the next-generation iPhone have surfaced outside of expectations that the handset will adopt the company's A5 processors, a dual-mode Qualcomm-powered baseband chip for operating on both GSM and CDMA networks, and an updated 8 megapixel camera.

Since the touch-screen handset's inception four years ago, Apple has chosen to transition to new iPhone models closer to the end of the June quarter than the September quarter. However, this year's shift towards a transition closer to autumn is believed to have stemmed from a number of factors, such as the need to repurpose iPhone engineers away from the iPhone 5 project and onto the iPad 2 earlier this year so it could push the new tablet device to market ahead of competitors' offerings making their market debut around the same time.

The shift towards a roll-out later in the September quarter will also allow Apple to fuse its CDMA and GSM iPhone models into a single world-phone release that will be powered by iOS 5 and run on the majority of the world's wireless carriers without individual software or hardware considerations.
post #2 of 35
Drop a dual-core processor and an 8MP camera into it and it'll be a day one purchase for me.
post #3 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple during its quarterly conference call on Tuesday revealed that it will undergo a future product transition' sometime during the current September quarter but declined to disclose any formal details about the move which almost certainly pertains to the launch of the company's next-generation iPhone handset.

Specifically, Morgan Stanley analyst Katie Huberty asked Apple Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer during the call why he was guiding the company to see a 12% revenue decline during the September quarter, which has historically proven to be one of the company's stronger periods.

To this, Oppenheimer commented that the Cupertino-based company has "a lot going on in the fall with iOS 5 and iCloud" in addition to a "future product transition that we will not talk about today" but will have a material affect on the September quarter.

The comments seem to support widespread claims that Apple will introduce its fifth-generation handset sometime during the three-month period ending September 30th. As such, the company guided revenue to $25 billion for the quarter, compared to the $28.57 billion it reported during the June quarter, under the expectation that iPhone sales will slow sometime over the next 10 weeks as consumers begin anticipating the launch of the new handset.

On average, industry watchers expect Apple to introduce the new handset during or by the time the company holds its annual music and media event, which has traditionally taken place during either the first or second week of September. However, at least one recent report suggests an announcement could come as early as mid-August, as Apple has put out calls seeking temporary "full-time iPhone Sales Staff for an exciting project" from August 16th till October 29th "within key retail stores."

To date, very few details regarding Apple's plans for the next-generation iPhone have surfaced outside of expectations that the handset will adopt the company's A5 processors, a dual-mode Qualcomm-powered baseband chip for operating on both GSM and CDMA networks, and an updated 8 megapixel camera.

could also be a next gen Ipad as they seemed to hint towards that as well.. they could possibly be trying to put it on a six month refresh just like the macbook line typically is since its outpacing mac sales already!
post #4 of 35
All band phones or advanced voice control
post #5 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Drop a dual-core processor and an 8MP camera into it and it'll be a day one purchase for me.

Processor... m'eh... better camera oh yea... especially over my 3GS.

Waiting patiently... tap, tap, tap, tap, tap. Is it here yet? Tap, tap, tap, tap. Is it here yet?Tap, tap, tap, tap..................
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #6 of 35
Sept Quarter. Is that July thru Sept?
IOS5, Apple has said Fall release. Fall begins Sept 21st.

Obviously Apple would like IOS 5 with iPhone update.

Hmmm..... Sept 21/28th launch for both iPhone and iOS seems to meet all Apple public announcements.
post #7 of 35
Could it not also be an iPod 'future product transition'?
post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaverizonlteiphone4G View Post

could also be a next gen Ipad as they seemed to hint towards that as well.. they could possibly be trying to put it on a six month refresh just like the macbook line typically is since its outpacing mac sales already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEHaas View Post

There is another possibility, the release of a MBP that is MBAir-like.

aehaas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyinscotland View Post

The product transition was mentioned in reference to why apple was predicting sales to dip in the 3rd quarter. Therefore, it is assumed by the author that the product transition would slow sales for the quarter AND have a material impact on sales. If they add an iPad, i'm sure it will be an add on (plus or pro type) adding an SKU not replacing one; A new MBP would probably lower sales; and the iPod is rapidly dropping in importance. All signs point to iPhone...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #9 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

The product transition was mentioned in reference to why apple was predicting sales to dip in the 3rd quarter. Therefore, it is assumed by the author that the product transition would slow sales for the quarter AND have a material impact on sales. If they add an iPad, i'm sure it will be an add on (plus or pro type) adding an SKU not replacing one; A new MBP would probably lower sales; and the iPod is rapidly dropping in importance. All signs point to iPhone...

Apple signed agreement w/ Liquidmetal.
In agreement, Apple agrees to commercialize Liquidmetal.
In agreement, Liquidmetal must achieve specific benchmarks within 2 years.
Agreement dated August 2010.

In separate articles, head of Yale Materials Science Department states Apple will use Liquidmetal in iPhone within next 2 years.

THAT is what will be very exciting.
post #10 of 35
Wasn't there also a report that a UK sales company is looking for more staff in October due to an unknown product launch?
post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by roocka View Post

In separate articles, head of Yale Materials Science Department states Apple will use Liquidmetal in iPhone within next 2 years.

Especially for my shares of Liquidmetal stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Not another one.

The current 5 MP camera is limited by the quality of the optics. Going to 8 MP would have absolutely no benefit (since the pixels would be smaller, it would probably actually be worse).
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #12 of 35
How about an iOSbook for education? Basically, an iPad2 with a larger display and a keyboard...
post #13 of 35
maybe it is...

the iBreathe

and those people who start anticipating it too early and don't take a new breath until then will result in the drop in sales due their departure from the consumer base (and life in general)
post #14 of 35
Quote:

It could indicate that they are going to do an across the board price reduction to increase the velocity of product sales and grow their already spectacular lead. Just imagine.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by roocka View Post

Cool!
post #16 of 35
The transition is likely to be the phasing out of iPods (including the iPod Touch) in favor of a new low cost pay as you go iPhone. If the device was priced at $300 it would effectively replace the 32GB iPod Touch. With a CDMA/GSM 3G chip, it would create a lot of opportunities. Users could choose to buy cell phone service and/or a data plan. Apple could even bundle free wireless service for certain features such as iCloud back up, buying iTunes music and apps. Apple could even provide a limited amount of bandwidth for web browsing each month. This would be a loss leader and would encourage users to buy extra services from whichever cell phone provider would be willing to ink the deal with Apple.
post #17 of 35
iPhone 5
iPhone 5 Pro
post #18 of 35
With the iPad HD rumors and the high resolution art within Lion, I wonder if the product transition would be retina displays for all Apple products.
post #19 of 35
Quote:

What's interesting is assuming we do get a genuinely different iPhone 5 and not a minor update, what happens to iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4? Does the iP-4 become the new 'cheap' phone? Does the iP-3GS stay the cheap phone and iP-4 production capacity is rapidly repurposed?

I can see it going either way.
post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicroma View Post

With the iPad HD rumors and the high resolution art within Lion, I wonder if the product transition would be retina displays for all Apple products.

If they do that I will hate them forever, even as I go and buy another MBP

I don't think it's likely though, they simply won't have the supply yet, and the panels will make a bigger difference to sales in the iPad market than the laptop market. It's going to be challenging enough producing 10" panels at that dpi.
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It could indicate that they are going to do an across the board price reduction to increase the velocity of product sales and grow their already spectacular lead. Just imagine.

Then they'd be predicting bigger margin drops and revenue increases.
post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

That would be awesome! But only assuming they could keep up with production across the board to sell bazillions more of everything!! Price cuts without being able to keep up with demand would be like giving money away... Since the original article talked about a 12% drop in sequential sales, not just a drop in margins, this doesn't appear to fit (as appealing as it is).

Edit: wow! Cloudgazer said it a lot faster and much more succinctly. That's what I get for trying to post while putting the kids to bed...
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #23 of 35
Quote:

Edit: wow! Cloudgazer said it a lot faster and much more succinctly. That's what I get for trying to post while putting the kids to bed...

Your explanation was clearer though, mine was just shorter
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Your explanation was clearer though, mine was just shorter

Different parenting styles:
Cloudgazer: Because I said so!
Baglejoy: Because I am your dad and when I tell you to go to bed it's because it is bed time. End of discussion.
post #25 of 35
This article was specifically mentioning iPhone product transition. Why do people jumped and talk about ipad, MBP etc? iPhone 5. Get it?

Obviously, with a product transition, coupled with already known OS update will only mean material change and its telephony technology. Liquidmetal and dual band is a good example and so is PAYG/low cost and pro (correction, Apple don't do pro anymore. I mean mainstream) iPhones. CPU speed or pixel size or camera resolution are not categorised as a (major) product transition.
post #26 of 35
The mention in the conference call about the "Future product transition" that Apple could not talk about at the current time had no reference of having to do with the iPhone.

I, personally believe the transition refers to a shift in Apple's computer processors, shifting from Intel to ARM/System-on-a-chip processors such as the A6, A7, and A8. Apple wants control of the whole ecosystem of their machines and does not want to rely on Intel processors, which are pricey for Apple right now, and Apple cannot control. Look forward to future Macs in the next few years shifting to ARM processors across the line, starting with MacBook Airs and MacBook Pros, eventually making their way to desktops.

Also, I have talked to a few friends who agree that Apple will be discontinuing the Mac Pro in a very short time (Mac Pro towers). Of all Apple revenue for the last quarter, Mac sales made up only 18%. Of that 18% it was disclosed that the majority of that was MacBook Pro sales. Of desktops, over 95% of those sales are iMacs. Of Apple's computer sales, the Mac Pro probably makes up less than one-tenth of one percent. That is pretty low, and the Mac Pro is pretty expensive to produce. Apple has already shown it is shifting away from the Pro market and most of their focus now is on iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Pro. Not very much concern on the Mac Pro and the high end Apple workstation users/market. The Mac Pro is on the way out, it could be one year or two years, but it is imminent.
post #27 of 35
Or it could be any of these:
  1. An iPad
  2. A replacement for the Mac Pro.
  3. A replacement for the Mini
  4. Apple TVs.
  5. High resolution screens on the MBP.
  6. Dropping of the non iOS based iPods

The automatic assumption that they are talking iPhone here is misplaced. For one thing a new iPhone really isn't a transition.
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by WardC View Post

The mention in the conference call about the "Future product transition" that Apple could not talk about at the current time had no reference of having to do with the iPhone.

I, personally believe the transition refers to a shift in Apple's computer processors .....

Also, ..... Apple will be discontinuing the Mac Pro .....

This is correct, the discussion was about a "downtick in revenue guidance". This phrase was used in this way in 2008, before the introduction of the "unibody" MacBooks, because Apple had to make a huge investment in the production facilities.

Shifting to the manufacture of their own processors would be such an expensive "transition". Introducing a new product, such as a new iPhone, or even discontinuing an old product, would not be a "transition".

So look out for Apple building products in a new way. Their own chips, or using Liquid Metal or carbon fibre, for example.
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyinscotland View Post

No.

The iPod is about 5% of their total revenue. A product transition in the iPod product line would not be described as "major" anymore.

When Apple says "major product ___," the most reasonable assumption is that they are talking about the iPhone. The phone is 47% of their total revenue and has the largest gross margin of all of their product families.

Apple blew doors on revenue and EPS, and it was mostly due to the blowout quarter in iPhone sales.
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

No.
The iPod is about 5% of their total revenue. A product transition in the iPod product line would not be described as "major" anymore.

Yes, maybe...

But what bothers me is the Mac Pro (flagship tower computer) makes up only about one-tenth of one percent (or even less) of total revenue. I am very worried that we will see Apple phase out Mac Pro very soon since the emphasis lately has been all consumer-ish gadgets and not serious Mac stuff like the Mac Pro and their Pro/high-end arena.
post #31 of 35
Quote:

Yes, maybe...

But what bothers me is the Mac Pro (flagship tower computer) makes up only about one-tenth of one percent (or even less) of total revenue. I am very worried that we will see Apple phase out Mac Pro very soon since the emphasis lately has been all consumer-ish gadgets and not serious Mac stuff like the Mac Pro and their Pro/high-end arena.

Be not afraid. Seriously. The Mac Pro is extremely low maintenance for Apple in terms of engineering - and it serves the one group of power users Apple profoundly cares about - developers, many of them working for Apple.
post #32 of 35
Quote:

I, personally believe the transition refers to a shift in Apple's computer processors, shifting from Intel to ARM/System-on-a-chip processors such as the A6, A7, and A8. Apple wants control of the whole ecosystem of their machines and does not want to rely on Intel processors, which are pricey for Apple right now, and Apple cannot control. Look forward to future Macs in the next few years shifting to ARM processors across the line, starting with MacBook Airs and MacBook Pros, eventually making their way to desktops.

While it could conceivably happen it would happen at the same time as a significant OS revision because the OS would require full ARM/Intel emulation, and they only just ripped out Rosetta. Since Lion is getting released tomorrow and doesn't contain any such thing, I think we can be fairly sure that this isn't coming in the next 3 months. It probably won't come even in the next few years, though Apple could well use the possibility as leverage over Intel.
post #33 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by macshark View Post

How about an iOSbook for education? Basically, an iPad2 with a larger display and a keyboard...

Apple already has that. It's called the MacBook Air.
post #34 of 35
Quote:

I guess my biggest question here is the performance comparison between the latest Intel processors and the latest ARM processors. I thought that the Intel processors were far and away much more powerful. Maybe I'm wrong here, and maybe that gap is closing. I do find it rather hard to believe though.

Now, this may very well be practical and the right move for the MB Air products, but I don't really see this on the MB Pro and desktops. The Air is designed more as a general purpose, lower end product and taking a hit in CPU performance probably wouldn't be detrimental. It does seem odd timing for that however if I'm right about the Intel processors being much faster that the Airs would take a significant step forward to the i-series processors and then a potential step back to the ARM processors.
post #35 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

If they do that I will hate them forever, even as I go and buy another MBP

I don't think it's likely though, they simply won't have the supply yet, and the panels will make a bigger difference to sales in the iPad market than the laptop market. It's going to be challenging enough producing 10" panels at that dpi.

Based on the the natural distance for using a 17" notebook compared to a phone.... If I hold my phone at natural distance, in landscape, in front of a 17" MPB at its natural distance, then the MPB is about 2.5 times the angular width of the phone. 960x2.5 = 2400. So I guess a 17" 2560 by 1440 display would qualify as retina.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple planning major (iPhone) product transition by end of September