or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple adds Bluetooth 4.0 support to new MacBook Air, Mac mini
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple adds Bluetooth 4.0 support to new MacBook Air, Mac mini

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Apple's latest MacBook Air and Mac mini models released on Wednesday are the first hardware from the company to support the Bluetooth 4.0 wireless standard for improved power consumption.

The Bluetooth 4.0 specification was officially adopted last June, but Apple's previous Mac products, including the new iMacs and MacBook Pros, only supported Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate). Wednesday's update means the new MacBook Airs and Mac minis completely skipped the Bluetooth 3.0 specification as Apple opted for the latest standard.

Bluetooth 4.0 includes "Classic Bluetooth," "Bluetooth High Speed," and "Bluetooth Low Energy" protocols. The high-speed mode is based on Wi-Fi, while the classic mode supports legacy protocols.

The Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) mode is aimed at low-power and low-latency applications. It carries a short range of up to 160 feet, but it still reaches farther than the competing radio frequency identification (RFID) wireless standard.

The additions come just a month after Apple officially joined the Bluetooth Special Interest Group board of directors. At the time it was revealed that the company would aid in developing the low-power 4.0 specification.



The Bluetooth SIG said that Apple will offer the group insight on platform development, as the Cupertino, Calif., company understands that technology is now driven by "hub devices" that capture data, utilize that data at the application layer, and perhaps even upload it to the cloud. The group said in a press release that the addition of Apple "will ensure a smooth growth trajectory of Bluetooth v4.0."
post #2 of 7
Ah, just came to post this. Should see it slide to all their models by the end of Q1 2012 (since we don't have the white MacBook to weigh us down anymore).

Would you think the Bluetooth card from the Ivy Bridge Mac Pro could be put into a Nehalem one to give us 4.0?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #3 of 7
What does it mean - your mouse batteries last longer?
post #4 of 7
I wasn't even aware of better bluetooth specifications besides the 2.1 + EDR, so this is good. I wonder if Apple could be putting this in the iPhone 5? Does anyone know if the chip is the same size so that it would fit?
post #5 of 7
Wonder if the brand new iMac's will get this change. Store shows Bluetooth 2.0 EDR.

What's the real-life benefit on an iMac? Better mouse battery life?
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinoza View Post

Wonder if the brand new iMac's will get this change. Store shows Bluetooth 2.0 EDR.

2.1+EDR.

And no, they won't get it. The next time it's updated, it will just be bumped up to Bluetooth 4.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The additions come just a month after Apple officially joined the Bluetooth Special Interest Group board of directors. At the time it was revealed that the company would aid in developing the low-power 4.0 specification.

The Bluetooth SIG said that Apple will offer the group insight on platform development, as the Cupertino, Calif., company understands that technology is now driven by "hub devices" that capture data, utilize that data at the application layer, and perhaps even upload it to the cloud. The group said in a press release that the addition of Apple "will ensure a smooth growth trajectory of Bluetooth v4.0."


Bluetooth is a bag of hurt.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple adds Bluetooth 4.0 support to new MacBook Air, Mac mini