or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Re: Apple prepping 64-bit, full-screen iTunes 10.4 and iWork updates
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Re: Apple prepping 64-bit, full-screen iTunes 10.4 and iWork updates - Page 2

post #41 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

Conversely, in my experience using iTunes on no less than 6 Macs over the years (both mine and my wife's) we have never had an issue with iTunes. Not at all. It has never caused our Macs to freeze up, and I think has only unexpectedly quit one time across all these machines. It has been very solid. Even when I have had failing hard drives, or overheating/fan issues, iTunes has never so much as given a hiccup.

Same here, except the Mac Mini I played a lot with plugins. In my experience it's the same problem I had with Firefox. At a specific amount of plugins FF gets slower and more and more unstable.
Problem isn't that pronounced with Safari and the new extensions.

Edit: This was meant for crashes. I experienced hiccups and beach balls when switching between multiple applications or on heavy load processing syncs etc.
post #42 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

If you make it for 10.6 you have to support 32-bit because 32-bit only machines run 10.6. It actually makes perfect sense...

You obviously misunderstand. They DO make it for 10.6 (Heck, they're still supporting 10.5). So the app contains both 64 and 32 bit code (and PPC as well). It's just that for some unexplained reason it only runs 64 bit on 10.7 but not 10.6.
post #43 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

simple fix really, get a Mac. Works great just like the Mac version of Safari. Windows is the problem not iTunes.

Sorry, but that's a demonstrably absurd thing to say. Most things run great on a modern Windows 7 set-up. iTunes is a rare exception.

Go and use the Zune app on Windows to see how a media player/database app can be done. The difference between that and iTunes is like going from blu-ray to 20th generation copy pirate VHS.
post #44 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

You obviously misunderstand. They DO make it for 10.6 (Heck, they're still supporting 10.5). So the app contains both 64 and 32 bit code (and PPC as well). It's just that for some unexplained reason it only runs 64 bit on 10.7 but not 10.6.

They make iTunes 10.4 for 10.6? The whole point of this discussion was that it was only available on Lion...Make up your mind. Is the 10.4 on 10.6 Cocoa? I upgraded all my machines before it was released It is entirely possible there is no difference between iTunes 10.3 and iTunes 10.4 on Snow Leopard.
post #45 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

The divide between users who like and dislike iTunes is very interesting to me, and I wish I could explain it somehow. When some posters here say they are having problems with iTunes on Mac and/or PC, or even that they hate iTunes, I take them at their word.

WHile the #1 cause of crashes on my Mac is iTunes, it still crashes very rarely considering I have it running 99.9% of the time my Mac is on (maybe once everyone couple of months). Usually when it crashes, it's if I'm dowloading lots of songs off the store.
post #46 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Nope, all the Apple software on Windows is horrible, the worst of the bunch is Safari

Apple should bite the bullet and write their applications in .NET so Windows users can have "native" applications that will give them the best user experience they can have. After all, do Mac users not expect Microsoft to re-write their applications using Objective-C/Cocoa? Besides, look what the Windows users have done for Apple. Sure, moving to Intel made it possible for people to get a Mac because they can also run Windows, but if Apple had kept iTunes Mac-only they would not be sitting on billions right now.
post #47 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Difficult to imagine a world where iTunes isn't a piece of festering sewage. Maybe things are better in MacOS now, but in the Windows world iTunes is unimaginably terrible. No other piece of mainstream, mass market software is so crushingly slow, so staggeringly unstable, and so painfully clumsy to use.

Actually your solution is quite simple. Dump your piece of sh*t windoze turd of a computer and get one that's easy to use, provides much greater value, and much greater usability and fun!
post #48 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by troberts View Post

Apple should bite the bullet and write their applications in .NET so Windows users can have "native" applications that will give them the best user experience they can have. After all, do Mac users not expect Microsoft to re-write their applications using Objective-C/Cocoa?

Only because it's a better language in every imaginable way.

Quote:
if Apple had kept iTunes Mac-only they would not be sitting on billions right now.

They'd be sitting on billions of computers instead of billions of handhelds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Actually your solution is quite simple. Dump your piece of sh*t windoze turd of a computer and get one that's easy to use, provides much greater value, and much greater usability and fun!

That's uncalled for. iTunes for Windows is absolute trash and hasn't a thing to do with Windows' problems.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #49 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by troberts View Post

Apple should bite the bullet and write their applications in .NET so Windows users can have "native" applications that will give them the best user experience they can have. After all, do Mac users not expect Microsoft to re-write their applications using Objective-C/Cocoa? Besides, look what the Windows users have done for Apple. Sure, moving to Intel made it possible for people to get a Mac because they can also run Windows, but if Apple had kept iTunes Mac-only they would not be sitting on billions right now.

Seriously, GFY - the problem exists because windows is such crap. And .NET is a floating turd as well. As to your statement that apple should somehow thank windows users is absolute lunacy. That is like a cripple telling Apple that they should just build them new legs. It is windows users that should thank apple for allowing them to play in the same sandbox. Grow up and get a mac.
post #50 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Oh it really, really isn't just me. Spend 5 minutes on the internet and see ...

lol! Spend five minutes on the Internet and you can find all kinds of weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth! Big deal! Flash: people love to complain on the Internet - news at 11!

What a riot...

And people who don't have problems tend to never complain or even comment - so your point is worthless. I have iTunes on Windows and Mac - and up until Lion, iTunes ran better on Windows 7 and Server 2008 (Windows Home Server 2011) than it did on my Mac's. Now with 10.7 iTunes is a speed as it is on my Windows boxes - no more spinning beach ball of death, even when my iPhone or iPad is plugged in. Finally!

Safari is also much more responsive too.

And don't overlook that you can now resize windows from any side or corner. Finally!
post #51 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Sorry, but that's a demonstrably absurd thing to say. Most things run great on a modern Windows 7 set-up. iTunes is a rare exception.

Go and use the Zune app on Windows to see how a media player/database app can be done. The difference between that and iTunes is like going from blu-ray to 20th generation copy pirate VHS.

Hmmmm - I didn't realize that Zune app really helped Zune sales. I must have been mistaken. BTW - while we're talking about how some apps aren't that great, lets talk about the incredibly bloated, buggy, counter-intuitive POS called MSFT Word... Seriously, how retarded do you have to be to keep piling more and more crap into this bloated turd?
post #52 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Oh it really, really isn't just me. Spend 5 minutes on the internet and see what Windows users think of iTunes. Or better still, read what Paul Thurrot thinks of it. His rants on how terrible iTunes is on TWIT shows are legendary. And he's absolutely right, iTunes is unimaginably terrible.

Here's are some quick examples - when syncing my iPhone 4, iTunes locks up windows almost completely. I can move the mouse pointer, but that's about it. When importing new content into iTunes my system locks up completely until it's finished, and this can take a LONG time. iTunes crashes often, for me about 5-10 times a week. iTunes when sitting dormant occupies at least 200mb of RAM... yes, 200mb for a database app with a couple of codecs thrown in. When playing video this can grow to up to 400mb. Even navigating the store is painful as iTunes can't scroll down a page at any more than 10fps or so.

I could go on, but you get the idea.

As a comparison the Zune desktop app runs flawlessly at 60fps and multi-tasks without a hitch. It also looks beautiful and occupies 80mb tops.

Of course being an iPhone user I'm locked into iTunes hell...

ROFLOL, ROFLOL, ROFLOL - you didn't really say "Or better still, read what Paul Thurrot thinks of it"???? - That guy is a hack and a complete FK'N moron! You just lost any credibility whatsoever in trying to make any kind of argument. Quit whining and get a computer that works! Why should the whole world dumb down to windoze?
post #53 of 68
For some reason, I can't seem to update my iPhone Apps on iTunes anymore. Just updated to 10.4, and now it doesn't work.

Anyone else have this issue?
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
Reply
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
Reply
post #54 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

For some reason, I can't seem to update my iPhone Apps on iTunes anymore. Just updated to 10.4, and now it doesn't work.

Anyone else have this issue?

Yes, I am having this same issue. I have rebooted and tried multiple times tonight to update apps, but the downloads just never happen. I guess it could be related to a ton of people downloading Lion all day today, but I'm thinking there is a weird bug in 10.4. I guess we will see what happens. Hopefully Apple will get on this asap.
post #55 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

Yes, I am having this same issue. I have rebooted and tried multiple times tonight to update apps, but the downloads just never happen. I guess it could be related to a ton of people downloading Lion all day today, but I'm thinking there is a weird bug in 10.4. I guess we will see what happens. Hopefully Apple will get on this asap.

I actually just found out it has been happening for a bit longer than that. Like for a couple of days now.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/15667922

That kinda throws the whole "Lion or iTunes 10.4 to blame" out the window.
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
Reply
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
Reply
post #56 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

I actually just found out it has been happening for a bit longer than that. Like for a couple of days now.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/15667922

That kinda throws the whole "Lion or iTunes 10.4 to blame" out the window.

Sounds good. Thanks for sharing the info. I hadn't heard anything about this.
post #57 of 68
I fixed my problem, sorry.
post #58 of 68
never mind - i got it to work. sorry for the wasted post.
post #59 of 68
Any chance we'll see Office for Mac 2011 updated to support full-screen, versions and resume, and perhaps Adobe CS5 to support full-screen?
post #60 of 68
why do i always get the "can't open in 64bit mode" warning the first time i open 10.4? i'm on snow leopard, and there's no "open in 32bit mode" checkbox in the get info....?

help? it's a bit annoying
post #61 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

They make iTunes 10.4 for 10.6? The whole point of this discussion was that it was only available on Lion...Make up your mind. Is the 10.4 on 10.6 Cocoa? I upgraded all my machines before it was released It is entirely possible there is no difference between iTunes 10.3 and iTunes 10.4 on Snow Leopard.

iTunes 10.4 has just been released for the following platforms:
OS X 10.5 (supporting all CPUs supported by 10.5, including PPC, x86, and x86_64).
OS X 10.6 (supporting all CPUs supported by 10.6, including x86 and x86_64).
OS X 10.7.

Of these, apparently it's only 64-bit when it's running on OS X 10.7. And this is despite the fact that the Cocoa API has had feature-parity for operation in both 64-bit and 32-bit ever since OS X 10.5.

Of course, in Lion they needed to switch to at least a hybrid Cocoa scheme, because there wouldn't be any Carbon API available to take advantage of Lion's new fullscreen feature.

Now, there's nothing to say that they didn't necessarily switch to Cocoa throughout all supported architectures, but only bothered to make a 64-bit build for Lion. Certainly, the Lion build was a separate build due to the inclusion of the fullscreen mode that cannot appear anywhere else. And since Lion only exists for 64-bit CPU, there's no point in making a 32-bit Lion build.

However, even if they did choose to make a 64-bit build available for the older OSes, they would still have needed to make the 32-bit build available too, because 32-bit CPUs exist for each of the older OSes.

Maybe they figured that a 3-architecture Universal Binary (PPC, x86 Leopard/Snow Leopard, x86_64 Lion) was already taking up too much disk space/download bandwidth, and it would simply be wasteful to include any additional 64 bit builds that weren't absolutely necessary to ensure adequate functionality.

Also, note that in order to have access to the fullscreen API in Lion, they must be using XCode 4.x (or some confidential Apple-internal equivalent of it), granting access to the new Lion APIs. However, in order to target Leopard PPC users, they must have also been using the XCode 3.x (or some confidential Apple-internal equivalent of it), because XCode 4.x no longer supports compiling PPC code. So they may very well have two divergent code sets, one for use in XCode 3.x, and one for use in XCode 4.x. In fact, perhaps they have three divergent code sets, once you include the Windows version.
post #62 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

why do i always get the "can't open in 64bit mode" warning the first time i open 10.4? i'm on snow leopard, and there's no "open in 32bit mode" checkbox in the get info....?

help? it's a bit annoying

I had the same problem, that was my original post above, but I got it to work. I deleted iTunes from the app folder then downloaded iTunes itself from apple.com not via software updates and that fixed it now it works on my snow leopard. Took a while to install, maybe 10-20 min, but I let it sit and it eventually installed and I was good to to go. Maybe it's a glitch/bug Apple didn't know about. I'm getting 1 or 2 bugs with it on Snow Leop but hope it will be okay and it mostly works. Think I'll start saving d/l's versions in case a newer version isn't right (for me).

Good luck.
post #63 of 68
FWIW, I experienced a noticeable speed improvement in iTunes 10.4 on my iMac. Much, much snappier. Likes.
post #64 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by troberts View Post

Apple should bite the bullet and write their applications in .NET so Windows users can have "native" applications that will give them the best user experience they can have. After all, do Mac users not expect Microsoft to re-write their applications using Objective-C/Cocoa? Besides, look what the Windows users have done for Apple. Sure, moving to Intel made it possible for people to get a Mac because they can also run Windows, but if Apple had kept iTunes Mac-only they would not be sitting on billions right now.

Apple are the first to moan if someone doesn't follow the Mac development ideas, their PC apps need to be developed properly
post #65 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakevin. View Post

Any chance we'll see Office for Mac 2011 updated to support full-screen, versions and resume, and perhaps Adobe CS5 to support full-screen?

That's up to Microsoft and Adobe, respectively.

The latter will charge you $5,000 for that update, though, so get ready to pony up for CS5.6.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #66 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by troberts View Post

Apple should bite the bullet and write their applications in .NET so Windows users can have "native" applications that will give them the best user experience they can have. After all, do Mac users not expect Microsoft to re-write their applications using Objective-C/Cocoa? Besides, look what the Windows users have done for Apple. Sure, moving to Intel made it possible for people to get a Mac because they can also run Windows, but if Apple had kept iTunes Mac-only they would not be sitting on billions right now.

That is a very good argument. I don't know if .NET is the the right tool as I'm not a developer, but fully agree that if MS rewrites their software so should Apple instead of some simple porting.
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
post #67 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Funny, I personally know at least 4 died-in-the-wool Windows users who say that iTunes runs just fine on their XP, Vista, and 7 systems. I guess it's just you. Fix your Windows box would be my advice.

To me, you are making an assumption as you don't have all the facts. Perhaps this user has a very large library? If yours is small iTunes will be fast. Mine used to be, but now it's over 350GB and has its issues.

I'm running iTunes on a fast Mac (MacPro 2010, 8 cores, stuffed with RAM and all) but iTunes remains unresponsive at times. Can't find the cause. I'm good at housekeeping, don't install junkware (almost completely limited to Apple software) yet iTunes is still unresponsive at times. Or downright slow.

Perhaps the people you know that have iTunes running on Windows have SSD? I'm still using HDD, and definitely need to migrate to SSD. Supposedly Aperture flies on SSD, but strangely enough that software runs just fine on a HDD.
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
post #68 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

As someone who edits tags on a daily basis and dreads waiting for iTunes to advance to the next track, I am thrilled to report 10.4 is radically faster than all versions to date. Finally an iTunes that is as fast as humans. (

Bloody hell am I glad to read this! I'm on a fast Mac Pro, stuffed and all, but dislike the unresponsiveness quite often while editing tags. I am however keeping the media on a HDD. Moving my 350+GB lib to SSD is going to be a bit expensive. But if that's what it takes to get a snappy iTunes I'll do that in a heartbeat.
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Re: Apple prepping 64-bit, full-screen iTunes 10.4 and iWork updates