or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple makes Xcode free to all with release of 4.1 on Mac App Store
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple makes Xcode free to all with release of 4.1 on Mac App Store

post #1 of 53
Thread Starter 
Apple on Wednesday updated Xcode to version 4.1, and reduced its price to free for anyone who has an Apple ID and access to the Mac App Store.

That's down from the previous price of $4.99 that Apple began charging the general public in March, when Xcode 4 was first released. That software was also made free to Apple's registered developers.

Xcode 4.1 (iTunes link) on the Mac App Store will allow non-registered developers to tinker with Apple's development platform, or even create their own Mac applications outside of the Mac App Store. However, to submit a Mac or iOS application to the App Store still requires a membership to the Mac or iOS Developer Program. Testing iOS applications on a mobile device also requires a developer subscription.

The new version, released on Wednesday, is a 2.96GB download. It requires Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

Xcode 4.1 includes the Xcode IDE, Instruments, iOS Simulator, the latest Mac OS X and iOS SDKs. Features of the latest version, according to Apple, include:
Includes SDKs for OS X Lion and iOS 4.3
Interface Builder support for Auto Layout and new Aqua controls such as NSPopover
Full screen support in workspace, project, and organizer windows
Project modernization to identify and resolve out of date build settings
Behaviors can be customized and assigned to unique key bindings
Source control enhancements to pushing, pulling, and management of remote servers
Assistant editor support for display of generated assembly and preprocessed output
Additional bug fixes and stability improvements


The Mac Developer Program was discounted in 2010 to $99 per year. The price change remodeled Apple's Mac program after the wildly successful iPhone Developer Program.

"Xcode provides everything developers need to create great applications for Mac, iPhone, and iPad," the official Mac App Store description reads. "Xcode 4 has been streamlined to help you write better apps.

"It has unified user interface design, coding, testing, and debugging all within a single window. The Xcode IDE analyzes the details of your project to identify mistakes in both syntax and logic, it can even help fix your code for you."
post #2 of 53
Good! This upset a lot of developers and power users, charging $4.99 for what was a free package. None of us could figure out why.

There was libraries / apps embedded in this install needed for unix libraries that are completely open source. Glad they fixed this!

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #3 of 53
You could always sign up for the free developer accounts and get XCode for free. They just opened it up for anyone with an Apple ID.

Not much of a change but a welcome one at that.
post #4 of 53
Does this mean I can put iOS5 beta on my phone now ?
post #5 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by t2af View Post

Does this mean I can put iOS5 beta on my phone now ?

no it doesn't
post #6 of 53
Good thing I talked myself out of buying it yesterday.
post #7 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by t2af View Post

Does this mean I can put iOS5 beta on my phone now ?

Not unless you pay the $99 and become a developer.
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
post #8 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Good! This upset a lot of developers and power users, charging $4.99 for what was a free package. None of us could figure out why.

There was libraries / apps embedded in this install needed for unix libraries that are completely open source. Glad they fixed this!

Things like this are why people think developers are all a bunch of whiny egotistical babies.

1) It was always free with your developer account.
2) 4.99 for the Mac equivalent of Visual Studio (normally hundreds of bucks) is a steal.

Developers are the only group of folks I know that would look at a product that was reduced from hundreds of bucks to five bucks and turn up their noses at it based on some selfish, misguided, uber-logical, technicality that no one normal gives a rat's ass about.
post #9 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Things like this are why people think developers are all a bunch of whiny egotistical babies.

1) It was always free with your developer account.
2) 4.99 for the Mac equivalent of Visual Studio (normally hundreds of bucks) is a steal.

Developers are the only group of folks I know that would look at a product that was reduced from hundreds of bucks to five bucks and turn up their noses at it based on some selfish, misguided, uber-logical, technicality that no one normal gives a rat's ass about.

Right?! It's also hard to believe that emig647 is a developer and/or power user yet couldn't figure out why Xcode 4.1 costs money under SL but is free under Lion.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #10 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Right?! It's also hard to believe that emig647 is a developer and/pr power user yet couldn't figure out why Xcode 4.1 costs money under SL but is free under Lion.

According to the commenters on 9to5Mac, you shouldn't make assumptions about people being developers based on them not knowing things developers would absolutely know or doing things developers wouldn't have done.

So here's a warning that you shouldn't make assumptions:

"Don't make assumptions."

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #11 of 53
So, can I get my $4.99 back?
post #12 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

You could always sign up for the free developer accounts and get XCode for free. They just opened it up for anyone with an Apple ID.

Not much of a change but a welcome one at that.


Xcode 4 was not available to those with a 'free' developer account. You either got it via the 99$ developer account, or if you didn't want to spend that much, bought it off the app store for 5$.
post #13 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Right?! It's also hard to believe that emig647 is a developer and/or power user yet couldn't figure out why Xcode 4.1 costs money under SL but is free under Lion.

Wow . It's comments like that is why I stopped coming around here. Go assume more newb.

First of all, when i was referring to Xcode costing money, I was referring to 4.0x costing 4.99 in the app store. So tell me know it all, why was 4.0x charged 4.99 for SL. 4.0x was designed for SL. Not to mention I didn't pay for it because I'm an iOS developer for a fortune 500 company.

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #14 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Things like this are why people think developers are all a bunch of whiny egotistical babies.

1) It was always free with your developer account.
2) 4.99 for the Mac equivalent of Visual Studio (normally hundreds of bucks) is a steal.

Developers are the only group of folks I know that would look at a product that was reduced from hundreds of bucks to five bucks and turn up their noses at it based on some selfish, misguided, uber-logical, technicality that no one normal gives a rat's ass about.

There have always been the free developer accounts. You could not submit things to either App Store, but you got all of the tools.
post #15 of 53
Seriously Xcode 4 was and is a horrible mess of performance issues, bugs and strange behaviors. In that regard it wasn't worth $5.

However if Apple would take that $5 bucks or so and throw it into development of LLVM & CLANG I wouldn't mind the cost one bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Good! This upset a lot of developers and power users, charging $4.99 for what was a free package. None of us could figure out why.

Good question.

Note in a sense Xcode has never really been free, to keep up to speed you need to be involved in a developer program.
Quote:
There was libraries / apps embedded in this install needed for unix libraries that are completely open source. Glad they fixed this!

I'm not sure I'd call this a fix. I'm literally downloading Xcode 4.1 right now, we will see if it is worth anything.
post #16 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Wow . It's comments like that is why I stopped coming around here. Go assume more newb.

First of all, when i was referring to Xcode costing money, I was referring to 4.0x costing 4.99 in the app store. So tell me know it all, why was 4.0x charged 4.99 for SL. 4.0x was designed for SL. Not to mention I didn't pay for it because I'm an iOS developer for a fortune 500 company.

There is a gap in your logic where there should be a GAAP.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #17 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

There have always been the free developer accounts. You could not submit things to either App Store, but you got all of the tools.

You are wrong. As of Xcode 4.00 they started charging $4.99 unless you were a PAID iOS or Mac developer. The free accounts couldn't download 4.00 any more. They could download 3.xx if you could find the url though.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
http://www.astrobetter.com/mac-app-store-xcode4/
http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/09/apple...-for-everyone/
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/09/...tore-for-4-99/

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #18 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Note in a sense Xcode has never really been free, to keep up to speed you need to be involved in a developer program.

Before 4.0 you could just be a FREE developer account which was offered to anyone and download Xcode. Once 4.0 came out you had to be a paid developer or pay the $4.99. So yah, Xcode 3.00 was free as was all the versions before it including project builder.

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #19 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurysquad View Post

Xcode 4 was not available to those with a 'free' developer account. You either got it via the 99$ developer account, or if you didn't want to spend that much, bought it off the app store for 5$.

I know lots of people that got XCode for free under the free dev account. You only had to pay if you wanted to actually post an app to the stores or load an app on a phone.
post #20 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

I know lots of people that got XCode for free under the free dev account. You only had to pay if you wanted to actually post an app to the stores or load an app on a phone.

They didn't get 4.0, they got 3.0 if it was through their free apple developer account.

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #21 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

there is a gap in your logic where there should be a gaap.

qed....
post #22 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Before 4.0 you could just be a FREE developer account which was offered to anyone and download Xcode. Once 4.0 came out you had to be a paid developer or pay the $4.99. So yah, Xcode 3.00 was free as was all the versions before it including project builder.

Before XCode 4, every new version of XCode always accompanied a new paid for, version of Mac OS X.

Solipsism is right. Its all about the conservative interpretation of GAAP that Apple has adopted. Now that Lion has been released, Apple can charge the costs of XCode development against Lion sales.

And seriously, if you can't shell out 4.99 for the dev tools, you shouldn't be developing. You should be out on the streets looking for a job to pay for your food.
post #23 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurysquad View Post

Xcode 4 was not available to those with a 'free' developer account. You either got it via the 99$ developer account, or if you didn't want to spend that much, bought it off the app store for 5$.

It wasn't available due to it's beta and then release candidate status. During it's rewrite they targeted only paying Devs to test it.

Now that it has become a general release Xcode has moved back to it's expected status of available to anyone with a free dev account, and yes the other poster is correct that what's changed is now anyone with a basic Apple ID can download it.
post #24 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Before XCode 4, every new version of XCode always accompanied a new paid for, version of Mac OS X.

Solipsism is right. Its all about the conservative interpretation of GAAP that Apple has adopted. Now that Lion has been released, Apple can charge the costs of XCode development against Lion sales.

And seriously, if you can't shell out 4.99 for the dev tools, you shouldn't be developing. You should be out on the streets looking for a job to pay for your food.

True, but it was $4.99 plus $99 for the Dev Program to get early access to it, until it reached a state of maturity.
post #25 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Before XCode 4, every new version of XCode always accompanied a new paid for, version of Mac OS X.

Solipsism is right. Its all about the conservative interpretation of GAAP that Apple has adopted. Now that Lion has been released, Apple can charge the costs of XCode development against Lion sales.

And seriously, if you can't shell out 4.99 for the dev tools, you shouldn't be developing. You should be out on the streets looking for a job to pay for your food.

But that was my point in my FIRST post.

There are unix / x11 apps / libraries out there that people used and needed the Developer Tools to compile against them but, necessarily weren't developers themselves.

Developer Tools was the easiest way to install / configure / compile video libraries (the first thing that comes to mind).

Remember we are on FreeBSD after all. Shouldn't we have a free way to compile open source software?

I don't buy the whole GAAP argument. If this was true, I believe apple would have charged a lot more than $4.99. There was some speculation among the community that there was some royalty that apple had to pay. I think that's been thrown out the window at this point.

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #26 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

True, but it was $4.99 plus $99 for the Dev Program to get early access to it, until it reached a state of maturity.

I could always download 4 (even the betas) from my paid Dev Program without paying the 4.99. You just had to click on the extra tab that is next to the normal one under the developer account to get to it. I haven't ever downloaded 4 through the app store. *been using it since preview 5*

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #27 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Go assume more newb.

See, solipsism? What'd I tell you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neves View Post

post

We have a signature system here so you don't have to copy/paste that every time.

Besides, it looks like you're spamming with an advert when you do.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #28 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

You could always sign up for the free developer accounts and get XCode for free. They just opened it up for anyone with an Apple ID.

Not much of a change but a welcome one at that.

Nope. XCode 4 was $4.99 if you had a free account.
post #29 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Remember we are on FreeBSD after all. Shouldn't we have a free way to compile open source software?

You're a developer and you think Xcode is the only way to use a compiler on Mac OS?

Quote:
I don't buy the whole GAAP argument. If this was true, I believe apple would have charged a lot more than $4.99. There was some speculation among the community that there was some royalty that apple had to pay. I think that's been thrown out the window at this point.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ios_users.html

:sigh:

Pray tell, why do you think they would have charged a lot more than $4.99 when they have a history of charging little for software and services in order to get you to buy their HW? Your not understanding accounting doesn't mean it's nonexistent. You don't even have to agree with the silly practice but a rationale person would acknowledge the existence and Apple's usage of it on several occasions in the past.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #30 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by boriscleto View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N.

You could always sign up for the free developer accounts and get XCode for free. They just opened it up for anyone with an Apple ID.

Nope. XCode 4 was $4.99 if you had a free account.

You're both correct. Xcode 3 was free with a free ADC account. It's Xcode 4 that was a charge for those with non-paying ADC accounts or no account at all for use on SL.

It's was already known Xcode 4 would be free for Lion users from the App Store, regardless.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #31 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

You are wrong. As of Xcode 4.00 they started charging $4.99 unless you were a PAID iOS or Mac developer. The free accounts couldn't download 4.00 any more. They could download 3.xx if you could find the url though.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
http://www.astrobetter.com/mac-app-store-xcode4/
http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/09/apple...-for-everyone/
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/09/...tore-for-4-99/

About 3-4 months back. Weird. I missed that one.
post #32 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You're a developer and you think Xcode is the only way to use a compiler on Mac OS?

:sigh: Will you please re-read what i wrote? I did NOT say ONLY way, I said EASIEST. I'm starting to get irritated with you questioning me being a developer for words you're putting into my mouth. Are you always this confrontational?

Quote:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ios_users.html

:sigh:

Pray tell, why do you think they would have charged a lot more than $4.99 when they have a history of charging little for software and services in order to get you to buy their HW? Your not understanding accounting doesn't mean it's nonexistent. You don't even have to agree with the silly practice but a rationale person would acknowledge the existence and Apple's usage of it on several occasions in the past.

4.99 from the few people that paid it isn't going to make up for their development costs. I'll admit I'm not an accountant or anywhere near it. But this has been discussed in depth on other forums, none of which points to 4.99 making up for any additional costs. Especially when a great number are already paying $99 or $198 for both Mac and iOS accounts. Nor does it point to the returns on gaining developers who are interested in the platform but are then forced to pay 4.99 to learn about it where it used to be free.

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #33 of 53
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...=vssitebuy_buy

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/buy.aspx

Yep, that $4.99 for Xcode 4 was an outrage and $99 for a developer subscription is scandalous
post #34 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...=vssitebuy_buy

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/buy.aspx

Yep, that $4.99 for Xcode 4 was an outrage and $99 for a developer subscription is scandalous

Right?!
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #35 of 53
So if everyone is done fighting over $4.99, and would like to discuss some useful information:

I discovered while trying to install Xcode 4.1 that with iTunes 10.4 running it would not install (not unusual) however even after quitting iTunes it kept the "please quit iTunes" up. I had to go into activity monitor and force quit iTuneshelper before the Xcode installer recognized that iTunes was not running.
post #36 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by revilre View Post

So if everyone is done fighting over $4.99, and would like to discuss some useful information:

I discovered while trying to install Xcode 4.1 that with iTunes 10.4 running it would not install (not unusual) however even after quitting iTunes it kept the "please quit iTunes" up. I had to go into activity monitor and force quit iTuneshelper before the Xcode installer recognized that iTunes was not running.

This bug has been in the installer since the beta of Xcode 4.1. I reported it but obviously it was overlooked.

As for the $4.99, get over it. It was only $5, as much as a coffee from Starbucks. You should just go ahead and pay the extra $94 to get the real developer advantages...
post #37 of 53
I'll reserve my kudos for when they revise their iOS developer tax.
post #38 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

I could always download 4 (even the betas) from my paid Dev Program without paying the 4.99. You just had to click on the extra tab that is next to the normal one under the developer account to get to it. I haven't ever downloaded 4 through the app store. *been using it since preview 5*

True, because you paid $99. Your fee went towards the development of Xcode 4. I probably gave the impression you had to pay $99 and then $4.99. That was incorrect. Paid devs always get the Dev tools. The $4.99 was a way to open up the Dev Tools to a wider audience before Lion arrived.
post #39 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

no it doesn't

Un huh ....with a Crayola.
post #40 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Before XCode 4, every new version of XCode always accompanied a new paid for, version of Mac OS X.

Solipsism is right. Its all about the conservative interpretation of GAAP that Apple has adopted. Now that Lion has been released, Apple can charge the costs of XCode development against Lion sales.

And seriously, if you can't shell out 4.99 for the dev tools, you shouldn't be developing. You should be out on the streets looking for a job to pay for your food.

someone mentioned before that because of Sarbanes-Oxley act apple has to charge nominal amount for some new features or goodies to their customers who purchased apple products when future new features were not yet announced or announced on later products but want to port it for early versions.

i don't know how the amount is calculated, though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple makes Xcode free to all with release of 4.1 on Mac App Store