or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › To get a new MBA or not?

To get a new MBA or not?

post #1 of 3
Hello there

I have an opinion question for all those out there / and a little bit of a technical one as well:

I have the original aluminum unibody mac book that became the mac book pro: 2.4 GHZ with 4GB ram.... I am thinking of getting the new 11"MBA with 4GB of ram.

1) Is it true that I would see similar performance from the MBA and my old mac book/mac book pro? ( I have heard that with the SSD you can expect performance similar to what I have)

2) If I do decide to go with the MBA, should I spend the extra to get the 1.8 I7 or stick with the 1.6I5?

3) I have currently used only 108 GB on my current machine. If I go MBA, should I get the larger SSD?

Thank you for any input you can give. I do not use it for any heavy apps, mainly web, processing, and business use as I am a lawyer and do not use a lot of graphic intensive apps.

Adam Birozy
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by abirozy View Post

1) Is it true that I would see similar performance from the MBA and my old mac book/mac book pro? ( I have heard that with the SSD you can expect performance similar to what I have)

The SSD will significantly outperform the hard drive in the old one (it's at least 150MB/s vs 50MB/s) so documents and apps open faster and the machine boots faster. It's also resilient to being knocked around and you don't need to shut it down. The CPUs in all the MBAs are faster than the 2.4GHz machine.

Quote:

2) If I do decide to go with the MBA, should I spend the extra to get the 1.8 I7 or stick with the 1.6I5?

The CPU performance of the machines is the following:

Your Macbook (3300) - http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench...&commit=Search
1.6GHz i5 (4600) - http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/search?q=2467m
1.8GHz i7 (5800) - http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/search?q=2677m

In general, the i7s are always better to get and offer good performance improvement over the i5 but you won't notice much difference for everyday tasks. The i7 is good if you encode video but for everyday tasks, your money is better spent elsewhere e.g getting the 13" model.

Quote:

3) I have currently used only 108 GB on my current machine. If I go MBA, should I get the larger SSD?

If you don't plan to use much more space, the 128GB should be ok and you can buy an inexpensive portable hard drive for $50 instead of paying $300 more to go to 256GB. You can even get a 32-64GB pen drive for documents. An SD card slot would have been a good option but they left it out of the 11".
post #3 of 3
Quote:

I have the original aluminum unibody mac book that became the mac book pro: 2.4 GHZ with 4GB ram.... I am thinking of getting the new 11"MBA with 4GB of ram.

I am in almost your exact same position. I own the same model of MacBook as you, except I went with the 2.0Ghz, which the only difference is no backlit keyboard and the CPU speed. However, I don't feel the speed matters one bit.

I am currently typing on the new 13" MBA so I will give you some insight.

1) Due to the SSD, apps and other disk activity is minimal. This is really the only difference. I notice no real speed improvement, but I haven't done anything heavy like video encoding yet. But for regular apps, iPhoto, iTunes, etc, I notice no improvement.

2) I have the 1.6Ghz i5 and as I said, I suspect people in our position would notice no significant benefit.

3) I have about 92GB used on my MacBook. I am concerned that 128GB may not be big enough, but I am going to be more diligent about deleting videos I no longer need, etc. I don't think its worth $300 for the 128GB upgrade for this type of system. For reference, out of the box, the system is using 16GB of drive space.

There is one other major upgrade from your MacBook that this MBA has... the LCD panel. Just from an hour of use, I can immediately see the difference in panel quality. The viewing angles, brightness, and contrast are leaps and bounds over your MacBook. Throw in a higher resolution and you have one hell of a screen.

To be honest, if I had the same model you have, I would not buy the MBA. It may seem silly, but the backlit keyboard was the tipping point for me. The improved LCD panel is another major factor for me. Otherwise, the old MacBook is fast enough, has plenty of storage (and the disk is speedy enough), and it has the modern trackpad and aluminum unibody.

Anyone upgrading from a non-aluminum unibody should not hesitate for one second.
The Americans can always be trusted to do the right thing, once all other possibilities have been exhausted.
The Americans can always be trusted to do the right thing, once all other possibilities have been exhausted.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › To get a new MBA or not?