or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple announces Lion downloads top 1 million in first day

Apple announces Lion downloads top 1 million in first day

post #1 of 55
Apple on Thursday announced that downloads of Lion, its latest upgrade to the Mac OS X operating system, exceeded one million in its first day of availability on the Mac App Store.

Those numbers put Lion, the eighth major release of Mac OS X, off to the fastest start of any operating system in Apple history.

"Lion is off to a great start, user reviews and industry reaction have been fantastic," said Philip Schiller, Apples senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "Lion is a huge step forward, its not only packed with innovative features but its incredibly easy for users to update their Macs to the best OS weve ever made."

The performances of Apple's operating system releases continue to improve over the years, with this week's launch of Lion representing a new personal best for Apple. In 2009, the debut of Snow Leopard doubled the efforts of its predecessor, Leopard. Like Snow Leopard, Lion carries a low $29.99 upgrade price.

Lion launched on Wednesday and is available exclusively through the Mac App Store for $29.99. It is the first operating system that Apple has not offered on any sort of physical medium, as users can only download it with an Apple ID account, though it will become available on a USB thumb drive for $69 in August.

Lion boasts more than 250 new features, including new Multi-Touch gestures; system-wide support for full screen apps; Mission Control to view everything running on your Mac; the Mac App Store; Launchpad, an iPad-like home screen for apps; and a completely redesigned Mail app. Other major features include:
Resume: brings apps back exactly how they were left when restarting a Mac or quitting and relaunching an app
Auto Save: automatically and continuously saves documents as you work
Versions: automatically records the history of a document as it is created, and gives an easy way to browse, revert and even copy and paste from previous versions;
AirDrop: finds nearby Macs and automatically sets up a peer-to-peer wireless connection to make transferring files quick and easy.
Initial impressions from the mainstream media have been extremely positive, with tech journalists at The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and USA Today giving the latest version of Mac OS X high marks.
post #2 of 55
maybe I *should* re-donwload it for each machine I will install it on - of course those with slow or capped internet may not be able to do so.

I will be putting mine onto 4 systems in my house.
post #3 of 55
That's $30 million and way more than a million installs counting people with multiple Macs and idiot pirates, so that's neat.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #4 of 55
I've been waiting for almost an hour and the download icon still says "waiting" for the download to start. From what I'm reading, it'll be worth the wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Thursday announced that downloads of Lion, its latest upgrade to the Mac OS X operating system, exceeded one million in its first day of availability on the Mac App Store.[ View this article at AppleInsider.com ][/c]
post #5 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's $30 million and way more than a million installs counting people with multiple Macs and idiot pirates, so that's neat.

I downloaded it this morning. Cant wait to play with it when i get home. What's neat though is that this most likely will spur sales of their mouse and trackpad. I now plan on spending an unplanned 70 bucks(i think that's the price) just to see what these gestures are about and how i can use them to make things easier(cooler)

My house is looking more and more like an apple retail store.
post #6 of 55
Quote:

: Who pirates a 30 bucks OS ?
: Yeah!, A lousy .app to use occasionally maybe.
post #7 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

My house is looking more and more like an apple retail store.

You probably don't need to worry until you start trying to purchase sphere chairs.

post #8 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzwriter View Post

I've been waiting for almost an hour and the download icon still says "waiting" for the download to start. From what I'm reading, it'll be worth the wait.

This is why massive distributions like these would have been better using bittorrent or some other P2P system.
post #9 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

: Who pirates a 30 bucks OS ?
: Yeah!, A lousy .app to use occasionally maybe.

There may be those who have little choice but to turn to unofficial sources if they do not have the internet bandwidthh.

The upgrade on a couple of my systems actually cost me a bit more than the purchase price of the OS since I had to add rAm to a couple to get them to 4GB for the installer to be happy.

Now if they could figure out a way for Flash Content in a browser to stop burning 100% of a CPU even after the content has stopped playing. aMakes me wonder if anyone at Adobe even uses a Mac when they claim there is no issue with their software.
post #10 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

maybe I *should* re-donwload it for each machine I will install it on - of course those with slow or capped internet may not be able to do so.

I will be putting mine onto 4 systems in my house.

that's laborious! I would copy it onto an external drive or thumb drive and install on each machine that way. Much quicker than waiting on a download for each machine. And heck if your up to it create a bootable thumb drive out of it for down the road use.
post #11 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

that's laborious! I would copy it onto an external drive or thumb drive and install on each machine that way. Much quicker than waiting on a download for each machine. And heck if your up to it create a bootable thumb drive out of it for down the road use.

I copied it from one machine to another via network drive and saved a copy on USB - just saying that for the extra 30 minutes of download time I could help Apple have a more accurate measure of the install base.
post #12 of 55
Quote:

There may be those who have little choice but to turn to unofficial sources if they do not have the internet bandwidth.

Oh, that's abject nonsense. How is stealing the OS somehow better for slower bandwidth users than waiting the exact same amount of time to download it legitimately from the App Store?

post #13 of 55
Fabulous OS. Installed with ZERO problems on 3 Macs. After using it for all yesterday I fired up my Win 7 Dell and boy did it seem ancient.
post #14 of 55
So that's roughly 4 EXABYTES in one day..

Surely that's some sort of record.
post #15 of 55
Quote:

You probably don't need to worry until you start trying to purchase sphere chairs.

Or have someone camped outside your house a week before the iPhone 5 is released!...
/
/
/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #16 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwhite1000 View Post

Fabulous OS. Installed with ZERO problems on 3 Macs. After using it for all yesterday I fired up my Win 7 Dell and boy did it seem ancient.

What did you install it on? I have a 2006 white iMac so I might be borderline on performance... maybe... time for an upgrade...
/
/
/

post #17 of 55
I'm extremely impressed with it so far. The download went great (and I thought there may be problems due to high demand, whereas it went well in spite of high demand), and the install was smooth. The only slight drawback to the install process I would say was it starting to do the indexing immediately after the install, which slowed my machine down and had me wondering if I'd made a mistake. Once that was over, I'm very happy.

Air Drop is worth the $30 alone in my opinion.
post #18 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

What did you install it on? I have a 2006 white iMac so I might be borderline on performance... maybe... time for an upgrade...
/
/
/

I installed it on a 2007 Macbook Pro with 4gig of RAM, a 2011 iMac with 12Gb of RAM and a 2007 Mac Pro with 12 Gb of RAM.
post #19 of 55
Quote:

Early 2006, it can't be done.

Late 2006 should work fine.

post #20 of 55
I think I am going be part of the other 49 million (assuming 5% share of the ~1B installed base of PCs worldwide)...... and wait.
post #21 of 55
No Rosetta, no deal. And that goes for both of my Macs at home and all the ones I oversee at my workplace where PPC app support is still needed.

I understand Apple not wanting to carry legacy code any longer than necessary but why it can't be made available as a separate download is beyond me.
post #22 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

I understand Apple not wanting to carry legacy code any longer than necessary but why it can't be made available as a separate download is beyond me.

Then you don't understand Apple not wanting to carry legacy code any longer.

Having a "download" for it defeats the purpose entirely.

It's six year old software. Minimum. Surely there are alternatives.

post #23 of 55
Quote:

No Rosetta, no deal. And that goes for both of my Macs at home and all the ones I oversee at my workplace where PPC app support is still needed.

Because as long as legacy software that holds back development is supported there is no pressure for software developers to join the rest of us in the twenty first century.

It's like web designers having to compromise everything for windows XP users running ie6. Enough is enough, six years is enough time for any company to bring their software into the modern computing world, or to go bust as they deserve to do.
post #24 of 55
Quote:

Use VMWare in Lion to install Snow Leopard Server and use it just to run the PPC apps, it works like a charm.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #25 of 55
Quote:

Oh, that's abject nonsense. How is stealing the OS somehow better for slower bandwidth users than waiting the exact same amount of time to download it legitimately from the App Store?

I was thinking of folks for who the download fails for whatever reason - if they can get a copy of the installer another way - and then install it they might not bother to pay the $30 to be legal - of course unless they already knew that their internet would be insufficient and they started the download - then they already paid so getting a copy of the installer form another source would not be pirating.

I am not advocating - or promoting - or suggesting - or rationalizing - etc - why anyone might think it is okay to not pay $30 for what is effectively an unlimited site license - just saying that the world is a far more complicated place than any one of us can likely imagine - so the fact that some folks will get a copy and not pay for it seems inevitable.

Or even folks who are offended by Apple charging for what they consider a service pack update - or for those who for reasons I cannot comprehend think it is wrong that Apple makes a profit but who want to use Apple's products anyway and choose not to pay for it based on some perceived injustice for example.

Or consider this - if no one wanted to do it then there would not have to be a law against it - or more specifically - if no one wanted to pirate software then there would not have to be any end user license agreements or copyright laws etc - because only those who entered into an unwritten, unspoken, informal agreement with the maker by the act of transferring cash would ever use it.
post #26 of 55
I think the answer is easy. Simply, Rosetta doesn't work with Lion because Apple didn't spend the time to make it work with Lion. Rosetta relies on internal legacy OS hooks that Apple modified with Lion. It would be too much trouble to support Rosetta. Further, the cost benefit of continuing to support the legacy code isn't there.

Developers who are serious about Mac OS development will make their products Intel complaint. Companies like Intuit should be embarrassed to not have updated their products yet.

Continuing to support legacy code slows performance down for the rest of us.

Quote:

post #27 of 55
Quote:

I was thinking of folks for who the download fails for whatever reason

Then they just hit "resume" and it continues where it left off...

post #28 of 55
deleted
post #29 of 55
Quote:

Gotta get an apple logo too
post #30 of 55
Quote:

The upgrade on a couple of my systems actually cost me a bit more than the purchase price of the OS since I had to add rAm to a couple to get them to 4GB for the installer to be happy.

4GB will be nicer, but the installer only requires 2GB to do the install. Either way, it was money well spent.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #31 of 55
Quote:

Or have someone camped outside your house a week before the iPhone 5 is released!...
/
/
/

Very good! (Even two days would be worrying.)
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #32 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I think the answer is easy. Simply, Rosetta doesn't work with Lion because Apple didn't spend the time to make it work with Lion. Rosetta relies on internal legacy OS hooks that Apple modified with Lion. It would be too much trouble to support Rosetta. Further, the cost benefit of continuing to support the legacy code isn't there.

Forgive me if this is a silly question, but surely the fact that it's not supported doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't work.

Can it be installed from a Snow Leopard disc? I'm just wondering if there is a hack/work around that would work, but Apple have just decided they're not going to test it/update it anymore, so they are saying it's not supported so nobody can complain if it breaks?
post #33 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsu View Post

This is why massive distributions like these would have been better using bittorrent or some other P2P system.

Wait till Saturday and Sunday. That's gonna be a big lockup.
post #34 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsu View Post

Most likely that will never happen as it would be viewed as a security risk. I can also see some user's suing Apple for using their computer and bandwidth without compensation.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
post #35 of 55
My honest reactions after 1 day of full use:

iCal- selecting a specific calendar and trying to create an event with it doesn't work. You have to create the event, which defaults to the first set calendar, and open up the event and change the calendar type that way. I really miss the calendar month and year grid that was on the lower left corner of old iCal- now to go to a future date you have to click the arrows continuously until you get to the month and year you need- I haven't found a way to go back to the old layout.

Mail- could not stand the new layout. Blah!! How can anybody get any serious amount of work done with that? Changed to the classic layout and I'm all set.

Mission Control- good potential, somewhat buggy to use. You can't drag windows in and out of different desktops from the mission control panel- you have to open up the desktops then go back into mission control and drag the windows to a different desktop that way.

Autosave and versions- great feature, this can really save a lot of frustration!

Address Book and iCal- I don't like the "Playskool" look they are going for with these apps. I was hoping that OS X would evolve into something much more industrial chic and not so .. consumer.

Full screen mode- not sure I will ever use this in any work type setting- don't see the point of it. Others may find use in it.

Scroll bar hiding- love it.

Gestures- love them.

Launchpad- don't see the point of it. I keep my applications folder in the dock which works much more fluidly.

All in all I'm glad this update was only $29 and not $129.
post #36 of 55
I was one of those that upgraded right away. I planned on waiting too. So far, no regrets though.
post #37 of 55
Lion has turned out to be much better than I expected. I have so far updated two pretty old machines (problem free), an early alu iMac, and an alu macBook. Both run smoother and faster, or so it seems. Certainly no performance hit which is what I expected. LOVING the full screens and swipe controls. And loving the new look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

My honest reactions after 1 day of full use:

iCal- selecting a specific calendar and trying to create an event with it doesn't work. You have to create the event, which defaults to the first set calendar, and open up the event and change the calendar type that way. I really miss the calendar month and year grid that was on the lower left corner of old iCal- now to go to a future date you have to click the arrows continuously until you get to the month and year you need- I haven't found a way to go back to the old layout.

I use iCal on a daily basis but haven't yet really tested. The 'look' is gawd-awful. It just looks like a bad joke. I can't imagine it will last.
Quote:
Mail- could not stand the new layout. Blah!! How can anybody get any serious amount of work done with that? Changed to the classic layout and I'm all set.

Love the new Mail. Love the new controls and the look is pretty. I like the way mail handles 'conversations'.
Quote:
Mission Control- good potential, somewhat buggy to use. You can't drag windows in and out of different desktops from the mission control panel- you have to open up the desktops then go back into mission control and drag the windows to a different desktop that way.

Not tested enough
Quote:
Autosave and versions- great feature, this can really save a lot of frustration!

Agree - autosave is the way
Quote:
Address Book and iCal- I don't like the "Playskool" look they are going for with these apps. I was hoping that OS X would evolve into something much more industrial chic and not so .. consumer.

I don't think Lion is too 'consumer' except for Address Book and iCal. I have a very hard time getting past the fact that these two apps got into the final build looking like they do. AddressBook feds more work functionality wise, too. It is an important app. Does anyone use Bento instead?
Quote:
Full screen mode- not sure I will ever use this in any work type setting- don't see the point of it. Others may find use in it.

I like full screen and with the keyboard shortcut its something I will use. But there should be a way of setting it to be default mode. I suspect the fact that you have to select Full Screen each time you use it will reduce its uptake. I hat the way you loose functionality (importing) in iPhoto when using full screen.
Quote:
Scroll bar hiding- love it.

Gestures- love them.

Launchpad- don't see the point of it. I keep my applications folder in the dock which works much more fluidly.

For me LP is irrelevant - I use spotlight to launch apps
Quote:
All in all I'm glad this update was only $29 and not $129.

Who isn't but I am loving it.
post #38 of 55
MSFT sold way more on its first day and for 10+x the price.
post #39 of 55
After a few dozen attempts I finally got it installed. I'm loving it thus far but have noticed of few quirks. I'm sure those will be fixed in 10.7.1.
post #40 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

MSFT sold way more on its first day and for 10+x the price.

You're 100% correct, however if you consider the number of Mac's out there vs the number of PC's I think you'll find that user base vs user base Lion has a much quicker up take.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple announces Lion downloads top 1 million in first day