or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Budget Deal
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Budget Deal - Page 9

post #321 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

I question the premise that is the basis of your question.

Can you provide a reasoned rebuttal of my analysis?

That's at the heart of the subject you were commenting on. I see no reason whatsoever to get bogged down with a point by point analysis when the basic premise is wrong.

Quote:
Delayed payments in 1979 offer glimpse of default consequences

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...y.html?hpid=z1
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #322 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

That's at the heart of the subject you were commenting on.

Actually...no.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

I see no reason whatsoever to get bogged down with a point by point analysis when the basic premise is wrong.

Good enough reason for me to cease any further discussion of the subject with you.

Plus...you can't (or won't) provide a reasoned rebuttal of my analysis. So...

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #323 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Actually...no.




Good enough reason for me to cease any further discussion of the subject with you.

Plus...you can't (or won't) provide a reasoned rebuttal of my analysis. So...

Quote:
Actually...no.

Oh let me guess you think Obama was at the heart. But you wouldn't have been talking about him in this context if it hadn't been for the incident.

In other words you know you'd look stupid for suggesting nothing bad would have happened if we defaulted.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #324 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

In other words you know you'd look stupid for suggesting nothing bad would have happened if we defaulted.

No.

As, you correctly pointed out, there's little sense in going through a point by point break down when the basic premise is wrong. Since I believe yours is, there's little point in continuing this discussion with you. That and the fact that you can't provide a reasoned rebuttal of my analysis, there's really no point in going on.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #325 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Oh let me guess you think Obama was at the heart. But you wouldn't have been talking about him in this context if it hadn't been for the incident.

In other words you know you'd look stupid for suggesting nothing bad would have happened if we defaulted.

Do you think that things are going to be better or worse in the long run because of the vote that just occurred? Do you feel that the economic outlook is better or worse now?
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #326 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Do you think that things are going to be better or worse in the long run because of the vote that just occurred? Do you feel that the economic outlook is better or worse now?

I'd say the US economic outlook is moderate.

There are some important terms of the deal such as automatic passing of the 2012 budget so this crazy stuff doesn't happen again, at least for one year.

But spending cuts without real plans for increasing employment and stimulating the economy means things will probably hobble along without any real pickup for a few years.

The "Super Congress" committee thing is interesting, especially the mutually-assured destruction of both defence and social programs being cut. Reminds me of my mum when my brother and I would fight over a toy. If things got out of hand, she'd take away the toy. That's what the "neutron bomb" thing sounds like.

As a spiritual person, I think it is a silver lining that when put to the task human compromise can be reached.

As a rational person, I think the Republicans overplayed their hand and are wasting time with these Tea Party nutcases that are pushing them too far to the right. Also, Obama may be despised by some but no credible Republican contender came out of this fiasco.
post #327 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

But here's the real shrewdness...

Having already convinced a largely ignorant American public that the previous spending and debt was not only necessary to save the economy, that it, in fact, did save the economy...

...and now convincing, along with his enablers in the media, a largely ignorant American public that the Republicans were holding the country and the economy hostage and that their "draconian 'cuts'" would basically crash the economy.

...and now convincing, along with his enablers in the media, a largely ignorant American public that he "compromised" to save the economy, but had to give into "slashing" spending...

He has put himself in position to play either sides of the fence if he needs to:

a) if the economy recovers...he takes credit for compromising with those nasty, evil terrorist Republicans to avoid a default and a certain depression. Had he not done that, we'd all be in soup lines.

or

b) if the economy falters...he blames the Republicans for the damage done by a combination of holding the country and economy hostage and the "massive" cuts in spending that have taken the wind out of the economy.

Brilliant.

Obama's smart but he certainly got a lot of help from the Republicans on this one.
post #328 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Oh let me guess you think Obama was at the heart. But you wouldn't have been talking about him in this context if it hadn't been for the incident.

In other words you know you'd look stupid for suggesting nothing bad would have happened if we defaulted.

Only real idiots would want the country to default! Obama is a person more to the right than to the left as we can see this from his leadership so far as president.
post #329 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

No.

As, you correctly pointed out, there's little sense in going through a point by point break down when the basic premise is wrong. Since I believe yours is, there's little point in continuing this discussion with you. That and the fact that you can't provide a reasoned rebuttal of my analysis, there's really no point in going on.

But you just did. You don't even have the will power to follow your own statements about what you're going to do.

Quote:
As, you correctly pointed out, there's little sense in going through a point by point break down when the basic premise is wrong. Since I believe yours is, there's little point in continuing this discussion with you. That and the fact that you can't provide a reasoned rebuttal of my analysis, there's really no point in going on.

You know you'd look lame and that's what this is really about.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #330 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Do you think that things are going to be better or worse in the long run because of the vote that just occurred? Do you feel that the economic outlook is better or worse now?

I'm not sure because they dragged this on so long some of the damage from delaying may have already been done.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #331 of 736
Dear Tea Party.

Today the markets have turned against the dollar and the American stock market is taking another catastrophic battering.

The American economy is linked to global economies, you see. When you threaten to make the dollar worth the same as the Icelandic kroner if you dont get trillions in domestic spending cuts, it makes us nervous.

Everyone else in the world is frightened of what you might do next.

Next time, try and institute policy by getting your candidates elected, as is traditional, rather than through threats.

Love,

Global Capital
post #332 of 736
Mumbo - next time check your facts before posting. The dollar is up dxy jumped from below 74 to above 75, due to people fleeing a damaged Europe.

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/index/dxy
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #333 of 736
However there is this :

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44000197...s_and_economy/

Quote:
Stocks pile on losses amid worries about the global economy

Dow briefly drops 350 points; markets 'fear index' highest since March

I think stuff like this would cause anyone concern.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #334 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

I think stuff like this would cause anyone concern.

I agree - we are overdue for a stock market crash. However - the dollar would probably be going up a lot during a crash, just like bonds would be going up. It is unusual for everything to go down.

Every market has been a scam for two years now, with the government propping up asset values - we can't really recover, imho, until we hit bottom, and we can't hit bottom with the Fed flooding the world with liquidity. The tea party may be doing us a favor by forcing spending cuts, although they don't seem to think that many moves ahead in the game, tbh.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #335 of 736
Since the current stock market issues likely to be blamed on the Republicans and Tea Party budget battle of the past few weeks, let's take a closer look to see whether that's true or not. Here's what one conservative, right-wing propaganda rag has to say:

Quote:
Here's what has stock investors spooked:

Tuesday's budget deal between Congress and the White House was hailed in Washington as a resolution of the months-long battle that brought the government to the brink of insolvency. But the agreement did little to lift the clouds of uncertainty over exactly what government spending will be cut.

Quote:
If the plan is fully enacted, the deficits would shrink by less than $3 trillion over the next 10 years. That's less than the $4 trillion that bond rater Standard and Poor's said was needed to renew the government's AAA bond rating. It also fell short of what some investors were looking for.

"You saw that we didn't tackle the entitlement programs: no Medicare, Medicaid; no Social Security," said Steve Grasso, head of institutional sales at Stuart Frankel. "I don't think the markets like what they got out of it. That's why you see gold rising and equities falling."

Quote:
After a convincing pick-up in growth last year, the U.S. economy appears to have stalled out. It may be headed back into recession. On Friday, the government slashed its originally tally of gross domestic product, and said the economy advanced at an annual rate of just 0.4 percent in the spring quarter. The revisions also showed the recession was deeper than originally reported.

A string of fresh economic data point to continued slowing in the third quarter. On Friday, investors will find out how badly the debt statement hurt the job market in July. Job growth slowed sharply in May and June.

Quote:
If you don't have the employment picture improved, then, in fact, we don't have a real recovery here.

Current estimates see job growth of about 85,000 for the month, not enough to keep up with the expansion of the work force, much less put a dent in the 9.2 percent unemployment rate.

Quote:
The political chaos on Capitol Hill briefly diverted investors' focus from the ongoing debt crisis in Europe. On Wednesday, rising interest rates on Spanish and Italian bonds commanded their attention again.

Quote:
"Tensions in bond markets reflect a growing concern among investors about the systemic capacity of the Euro area to respond to the evolving crisis," Barroso said in a statement.

Though most European banks recently passed a financial "stress test," there's skepticism that they are prepared to cope with widespread government bond defaults. Even if they're able to withstand the losses, those defaults would be a heavy blow to Europe's economy.


"It seems increasingly likely that Italy and/or Spain may eventually restructure their debts, with disastrous consequences for the euro-zone economy," Capital Economics economist Ben May said Wednesday.

Quote:
There are signs that the global economy is also slowing, which would reduce demand for American products.

Quote:
A weak job market and stagnant wages have also forced American households to cut back, further weakening demand for products and services. Separate surveys have shown fading consumer confidence in the economic outlook.

The belt-tightening is part of an ongoing retrenchment of the borrowing binge of the last decade.

Quote:
Consumer spending, which accounts for about 70 percent of U.S. economic activity, dropped 0.2 percent in June, the first decline since September 2009. "That's a pretty weak sign," said Roger Altman, an investment banker and former Treasury official. "It fell because the debt-to-income ratio at the household level has only repaired about 50 percent of the distance it needs to go to get to historically normal levels. It's quite elevated."


It seems that debt is a big theme in all of this. Euro-debt. Consumer debt. Even U.S. government debt. And behold, that's the thing that wasn't even close to being addressed by this budget deal...and it was the thing the Tea Party was trying to hold the line on...something to address the massive and growing government debt.


So it appears that only a simpleton would suggest that what's happening today is the result of the Tea Party exclusively (or, actually, even in part given the investor concerns over an extremely limited deficit reduction plan.)

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #336 of 736
U.S. eats up most of debt limit in one day

Quote:
U.S. debt shot up $239 billion on Tuesday — the largest one-day bump in history — as the government flexed the new borrowing room it earned in this week’s debt-limit increase deal.

The debt subject to the statutory limit shot way past the old cap of $14.294 trillion to hit $14.532 trillion on Tuesday, according to the latest the Treasury Department figures, which are released on the next business day.

That increase puts the government already remarkably close to the new debt limit of $14.694, which means one day’s new borrowing ate up 60 percent of the $400 billion in space Congress granted the president this week.

The appetite of the State is insatiable.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #337 of 736
Here's another report from another conservative, right-wing propaganda rag:

Quote:
NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- In their single worst day since the 2008 financial crisis, stocks plunged Thursday, with the Dow tumbling 512 points, as fear about the global economy spooked investors.

"The conventional wisdom on Wall Street was that the economy was growing -- that the worst was behind us," said Peter Schiff, president of Euro Pacific Capital. "Now what people are realizing is the stimulus didn't work, and we may be headed back to recession."

U.S. markets were already sharply lower on widespread worries, including the weak job market. But the selling gained momentum as Japanese and European policymakers stepped in with dramatic measures to shore up their financial markets.

There's "total fear" in the market, said Bob Doll, chief equity strategist at the world's largest money manager, BlackRock.

All three major indexes tumbled more than 4% Thursday and erased all their gains for the year. The indexes have also pushed into 'correction' territory - defined as a 10% drop from recent highs. The Dow, Nasdaq and S&P 500 are down more than 10% from mid-July.

"In the last two weeks, we've been through the ringer," said Rich Ilczyszyn, market strategist with futures broker Lind-Waldock. "When we start looking at the recovery, there's nothing to hang our hats on anymore."

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #338 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Since the current stock market issues likely to be blamed on the Republicans and Tea Party budget battle of the past few weeks, let's take a closer look to see whether that's true or not. Here's what one conservative, right-wing propaganda rag has to say:






It seems that debt is a big theme in all of this. Euro-debt. Consumer debt. Even U.S. government debt. And behold, that's the thing that wasn't even close to being addressed by this budget deal...and it was the thing the Tea Party was trying to hold the line on...something to address the massive and growing government debt.


So it appears that only a simpleton would suggest that what's happening today is the result of the Tea Party exclusively (or, actually, even in part given the investor concerns over an extremely limited deficit reduction plan.)

Right.

Can you say conservative damage control?
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #339 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Right.

Can you say conservative damage control?

By MSNBC?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #340 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

By MSNBC?

Was I replying to MSNBC?

They weren't drawing a conclusion that the debt nogations ( or Tea party ) had nothing to do with what's going on.

Here's a another take from the same source or as MJ puts it
Quote:
another conservative, right-wing propaganda rag:

: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44005603...s-motley_fool/

Quote:
What seems likely, though, is that the recent debt-ceiling charade caused real damage to the economy.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #341 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Was I replying to MSNBC?

So you agree with the MSNBC article he quoted and commented on and disagree with his comments about it?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #342 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

So you agree with the MSNBC article he quoted and commented on and disagree with his comments about it?

I said For those who apparently can't read it didn't draw the same conclusions that MJ did.

And if the two of you value that source ( which seems unlikely given some of MJ's earlier comments about misguided or slanted news ) then you'd better read the article I linked to ( also from MSNBC ) above which did draw a conclusion.

Here's the link and quote again : http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44005603...s-motley_fool/

Quote:
What seems likely, though, is that the recent debt-ceiling charade caused real damage to the economy.

Only a " Simpleton " would suggest it didn't have an effect on the current situation. Let's hope Mr. Housel's right and this is temporary!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #343 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

I said For those who apparently can't read it didn't draw the same conclusions that MJ did.

You edited your posts AFTER I replied. That is why I didn't read it. There was nothing to read except "conservative damage control" and I asked questions for clarification.

Quote:
Only a " Simpleton " would suggest it didn't have an effect on the current situation.

Of course the debt limit charade had an effect. The point is, as much as you would like it to be, the fallout from it is not the Tea Party's fault.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #344 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

You edited your posts AFTER I replied. That is why I didn't read it. There was nothing to read except "conservative damage control" and I asked questions for clarification.



Of course the debt limit charade had an effect. The point is, as much as you would like it to be, the fallout from it is not the Tea Party's fault.

Let me ask did you read the other article or only the one that seemed to support your viewpoint?

Quote:
not the Tea Party's fault

How could it not be? Let me barrow another article ( from the same MSNBC ) from another recent post in another thread as proof :

Quote:
More good news in this analysis :

Republican leaders heed Tea Party but risk backlash

Refusal to compromise could cause fissure between traditionalists and newcomers

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44021322...-capitol_hill/

You were saying.......


Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #345 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Let me ask did you read the other article or only the one that seemed to support your viewpoint?

I read both articles. The one you linked to had a sentence about the stock market turmoil having to do with the recent debt limit shenanigans, and not to panic.

It did not even suggest who or what might be at fault. You have obviously arrived at the conclusion that the Tea Party is to blame for anything bad that happens and you read that into the article you linked.

Quote:
How could it not be?

See. Your mind has been made up.

Have you considered that it may have something to do with the fact that in spite of the Tea Party candidates' efforts to do what they were elected to do (stop wasteful government spending), the establishment steamrolled over them and continued their obviously failing policies of borrowing and spending us into oblivion.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #346 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I read both articles. The one you linked to had a sentence about the stock market turmoil having to do with the recent debt limit shenanigans, and not to panic.

It did not even suggest who or what might be at fault. You have obviously arrived at the conclusion that the Tea Party is to blame for anything bad that happens and you read that into the article you linked.



See. Your mind has been made up.

Have you considered that it may have something to do with the fact that in spite of the Tea Party candidates' efforts to do what they were elected to do (stop wasteful government spending), the establishment steamrolled over them and continued their obviously failing policies of borrowing and spending us into oblivion.

Let me ask did you read the third article?

Let me quote :
Quote:
Emboldened by concessions wrung from their own leadership and President Barack Obama during the debt limit fight, Tea Party-affiliated lawmakers will likely remain a driving force in the Republican Party — and possibly induce gridlock until the 2012 elections.

Once again also from MSNBC.

My problem with them is the same that I have with Libertarianism. They don't have a realistic viewpoint on real issues.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #347 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

You were saying.......

Yes, that's an article about Republicans and the Tea Party. Now please explain how that is relevant to this discussion.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #348 of 736
Alright, I'm done.

You're editing your posts after I reply to them, changing the parameters and context of the discussion, and apparently having a conversation with yourself. Carry on.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #349 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Let me barrow another article...

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #350 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Yes, that's an article about Republicans and the Tea Party. Now please explain how that is relevant to this discussion.

Read the quote again and please try not to overlook this part :

Quote:
Emboldened by concessions wrung from their own leadership and President Barack Obama during the debt limit fight, Tea Party-affiliated lawmakers will likely remain a driving force in the Republican Party — and possibly induce gridlock until the 2012 elections.
Once again also from MSNBC.

Tell me again on how they didn't have an effect.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #351 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post


Laugh all you want but you picked the website I didn't.

And if you accept all of what they have to say ( and not just the parts you agree with ) then it just made hash out of your conclusions.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #352 of 736
Annnnyway...

So the market is pretty upset. There appear to be multiple factors for this. One of these seems to be some dissatisfaction with the budget deal. So what could that be?

Of course our leftist friends will try to claim the market is disappointed by the "massive" spending cuts...but we know this can't be the case because these Wall Street guys are at least savvy enough to realize there have been no real spending cuts.

If not the spending cuts...then what? Maybe the fact that debt will keep going up with no real end in sight?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #353 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Annnnyway...

So the market is pretty upset. There appear to be multiple factors for this. One of these seems to be some dissatisfaction with the budget deal. So what could that be?

Of course our leftist friends will try to claim the market is disappointed by the "massive" spending cuts...but we know this can't be the case because these Wall Street guys are at least savvy enough to realize there have been no real spending cuts.

If not the spending cuts...then what? Maybe the fact that debt will keep going up with no real end in sight?

The market is upset because the United States is supposed to be the whipping boy/grown up in the room. Instead it's pretty clear we have joined the delusional dupes out there.

It pains me to have to use Jon Stewart to illustrate this but he stole Diane Sawyer's graph and since it is the easiest link to it, you get it. That plus saying the name Jon Stewart might actually make a few leftists click on it.

The cuts, which again, considering the Republicans control only the House and nothing else, were probably the best they could get, are miniscule, a drop in the bucket and what is clear is that the government basically began binging again the moment they had authorization. Our government is like a friend trying to lose weight who complains they had to eat a whole three healthy meals in a row for one day and then gets pissed and has a nice 10,000 calorie dessert to celebrate a whole three meals of "austerity".

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #354 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

U.S. eats up most of debt limit in one day

The appetite of the State is insatiable.

They have been pulling money out of government pensions for a couple months now to fund general revenues. They had to pay the money back once the debt limit was raised.

The debt ceiling debate is not what is going to put is back into recession, we never left recession once you back out the effects of stimulus. The 2008 recession is still going on.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #355 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

The debt ceiling debate is not what is going to put is back into recession, we never left recession once you back out the effects of stimulus. The 2008 recession is still going on.

Bingo!

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #356 of 736
Thread Starter 
The Teahad Party takes a hammering-

"The publics opinion of the Tea Party movement has soured in the wake of the debt-ceiling debate. The Tea Party is now viewed unfavorably by 40 percent of the public and favorably by just 20 percent, according to the poll. In mid-April 29 percent of those polled viewed the movement unfavorably, while 26 percent viewed it favorably. And 43 percent of Americans now think the Tea Party has too much influence on the Republican Party, up from 27 percent in mid-April."
~ http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/05/us...l.html?_r=1&hp
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

Reply
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

Reply
post #357 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Annnnyway...

So the market is pretty upset. There appear to be multiple factors for this. One of these seems to be some dissatisfaction with the budget deal. So what could that be?

Of course our leftist friends will try to claim the market is disappointed by the "massive" spending cuts...but we know this can't be the case because these Wall Street guys are at least savvy enough to realize there have been no real spending cuts.

If not the spending cuts...then what? Maybe the fact that debt will keep going up with no real end in sight?

Well if you're wondering about " dissatisfaction " I suggest you look at this :

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43898141...onomy/44019403

Quote:
Disapproval of Congress hits new high: poll

Quote:
A record 82 percent of Americans now say they disapprove of the way Congress is doing its job, compared with 14 percent who approve, the poll found.

The disapproval rating for Congress was the highest in the 34 years the question has been asked in the poll and up from the previous high of 77 percent set in May 2010.

Obama's approval rating has also dropped but not very much. In case you were interested.

I think if you want someone to thank for all of this you know where to go and it's not Liptons or Nestea.



Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #358 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Bingo!

Not only Bingo, but all these polls are being presented in this thread without a context.

Are people upset at the Tea Party because the managed to secure a miniscule 2.3 billion of reduction in the future growth in deficit spending, or are they upset that they didn't secure MORE spending cuts.

See they only reflect general disapproval but of course the conclusions for that disapproval, well they don't want to get into that.

I'd be happy to read about any polls where people are pissed that we aren't going into debt at a faster rate thanks to the Tea Party and that people disapprove of that.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #359 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Not only Bingo, but all these polls are being presented in this thread without a context.

Are people upset at the Tea Party because the managed to secure a miniscule 2.3 billion of reduction in the future growth in deficit spending, or are they upset that they didn't secure MORE spending cuts.

See they only reflect general disapproval but of course the conclusions for that disapproval, well they don't want to get into that.

I'd be happy to read about any polls where people are pissed that we aren't going into debt at a faster rate thanks to the Tea Party and that people disapprove of that.

What's more though is the rather concerning implication that what is right to do or not do is or ought to be determined by the results of some random, anonymous poll.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #360 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

What's more though is the rather concerning implication that what is right to do or not do is or ought to be determined by the results of some random, anonymous poll.


Yeah right! Can you say " Damage control " ?

I know polls are only correct or relevent if they're in line with your thinking.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Budget Deal