or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Budget Deal
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Budget Deal - Page 10

post #361 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Yeah right! Can you say " Damage control " ?

I realize this is your new pet phrase but, in all seriousness, what "damage" do you think I am trying to "control?"

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #362 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

I realize this is your new pet phrase but, in all seriousness, what "damage" do you think I am trying to "control?"

Credibility of anything rightwing at the moment. And of course for the next election. Don't tell me you don't care!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #363 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Credibility of anything rightwing at the moment. And of course for the next election. Don't tell me you don't care!

Well...first of all I'm not concerned with the right-wing's credibility as you put it.

What I am concerned with is the condition of the country and the economy within it. These have certainly been damaged...but not for the reasons you appear to think.

I am concerned about further damage to our freedom and to our economy. To the extent that whoever holds office at whatever levels can affect this, I am concerned about that also.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #364 of 736
Looking under the hood on the "good" jobs news:

Quote:
Let’s start with the reality that fewer people actually were working in July than in June.

According to a Bureau of Labor Statistics breakdown, there were 139,296,000 people working in July, compared to 139,334,000 the month before, or a drop of 38,000.

Quote:
The average duration of unemployment rose for the third straight month and is now at a record 40.4 weeks—about 10 months and now double where it was when President Obama took office in January 2009. The total number unemployed for more than half a year now stands at 6.18 million, 130 percent higher than when the president’s term began.

Turmoil on stock markets persists:

Quote:
One of the main causes of nervousness on the markets has been whether the eurozone debt crisis will spread.

Once again...debt...:

Quote:
European shares fell on Friday, and saw their biggest weekly decline in nearly three years, on worries about weak global growth and further contagion in the euro zone debt crisis, which threatens to engulf Italy and Spain.

I'd say we're heading into "The Great Recession: The Sequel."

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #365 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Well...first of all I'm not concerned with the right-wing's credibility as you put it.

What I am concerned with is the condition of the country and the economy within it. These have certainly been damaged...but not for the reasons you appear to think.

I am concerned about further damage to our freedom and to our economy. To the extent that whoever holds office at whatever levels can affect this, I am concerned about that also.

Yeah, sure, youbetcha!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #366 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Yeah, sure, youbetcha!

Are you calling me a liar?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #367 of 736
Hmmm? I thought according to most of the conservatives here the Republican congress was a reason to celebrate? Things should have gotten better according to their thinking about this at the start of their term and in reference to the one prior to 2006 when talking about Dubbya's administration ( things went south because of the Democratic control congress in the last two years of his second term according to them ). But here we are not even a year into the Teapublican controlled congress and what do we have?

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/article..._congress_ever

Quote:
Worst Congress Ever

A good read.

And of course he's not the only one who feels this way........
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #368 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Are you calling me a liar?

" Are you talking to me? "
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #369 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

" Are you talking to me? "

Yes. I asked you a direct question: Are you calling me a liar?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #370 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Yes. I asked you a direct question: Are you calling me a liar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzPBUGUM7KQ

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #371 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzPBUGUM7KQ


I got the reference.

Clearly you are calling me a liar but aren't man enough to come right out and say it.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #372 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

I got the reference.

Clearly you are calling me a liar but aren't man enough to come right out and say it.

Why oh why would I do something that's clearly against the guidelines here?

Quote:
1. No personal attacks on members of AI.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #373 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Why oh why would I do something that's clearly against the guidelines here?

You are truly unbelievable.

I stand by what I said. You can call me a liar all you want...but at least be man enough to back it up with something substantial.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #374 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

You are truly unbelievable.

I stand by what I said. You can call me a liar all you want...but at least be man enough to back it up with something substantial.

Please don't try the old SDW defense " You never back up anything with facts ". I spent way too much time this morniing trying to point out things just aren't like the conservatives ( notice I didn't say Republicans ) on this forum think. And I backed that up with facts in the form of links. Just because you don't like them or that they are a bitter pill to swallow isn't my fault.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #375 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Please don't try the old SDW defense " You never back up anything with facts ". I spent way too much time this morniing trying to point out things just aren't like the conservatives ( notice I didn't say Republicans ) on this forum think. And I backed that up with facts in the form of links. Just because you don't like them or that they are a bitter pill to swallow isn't my fault.

You are amazing. Un-fucking-believable. You disgust me.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #376 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

You are amazing. Un-fucking-believable. You disgust me.

Best to let him talk to himself. That's what he does even when you try to have a conversation with him.

You see, he is having a conversation with the caricature of you he has crafted in his own mind. He is addressing what he thinks you really meant to say, or what you might say, or what you could have said, rather than what you actually say.

This phenomenon doesn't seem to be isolated to just one individual in PO, either.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #377 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

You are amazing. Un-fucking-believable. You disgust me.

MJ he's right per his twisted reasoning, aka looter reasoning.

What he considers important isn't facts or rationality. His "facts" support his worldview. He is much more concerned about appearances, who is saying they like who and who is applying what labels and names to who. That is what makes one "right" in his worldview.

So he found some links to some pundits and some polls. The polls don't say why anyone is unhappy, but they are unhappy and he will point this out. That IS his conclusion, not any facts related to it. If the PEOPLE are unhappy then they need to be placated or bought off in some fashion and only by looting and buying them can they be made happy again.

There's no right or wrong there so stop worrying about it with him. You can't prove right or wrong to someone to whom a fact is a push poll.

Have you noticed how even the words he quotes don't have an actual conclusion? They just try to hint at action or trouble but never really reference anything. Things like "remain a force" "turmoil" "dissatisfaction" well they don't declare if something is right or wrong. They just add energy to the question and hope to cause a distraction.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #378 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

What he considers important isn't facts or rationality. His "facts" support his worldview. He is much more concerned about appearances, who is saying they like who and who is applying what labels and names to who. That is what makes one "right" in his worldview.

Understood.


Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

There's no right or wrong there so stop worrying about it with him. You can't prove right or wrong to someone to whom a fact is a push poll.

What amazes (and disgusts) me is not so much that. It's that I made a clear statement of what my concerns were and he (indirectly) called me a liar and when I challenged him on this and suggest he support this claim with some facts he changes the subject to talk about something else he's allegedly "proven."

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #379 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

What amazes (and disgusts) me is not so much that. It's that I made a clear statement of what my concerns were and he (indirectly) called me a liar and when I challenged him on this and suggest he support this claim with some facts he changes the subject to talk about something else he's allegedly "proven."

But why worry about it because a liar calling someone a liar pretty validates they are the truthful one IMHO.

His world is about appearances, alliances, friendships and who you know and what you call the people you don't know. Don't get upset about it but realize what it is and deal with it appropriately. Better still when you realize what their medicine is, you can give them a taste of it free from remorse because much like how they don't endorse your moral standards, they certainly can't live up to their own.

The posts on here that drive the left the most insane aren't those that deal with large numbers of facts or reality based events. They are the ones that deal with labels. You could say leftist policies have millions on food stamps and they don't care. You could say leftist policies have made unemployment chronic and it has remained above 9% for all but 2 months of the entire Obama presidency and they just dismiss it.

They dismiss it with the name and platitudes. You don't have the correct friends. You have the wrong intentions. You are an -ist engaging in an -ism.

Look at all the tea policy stuff they have mentioned. The group hasn't even got any real power. They've sponsored a few candidates who have actually been elected as members of the national party. Yet they fixate on the intentions, the labels, the associations. Those are all that matter.

So if you want to drive them mad. Find the "facts" that attack labels, associations and intentions. Let them go nuts defending sex offenders, lunacy and bias.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #380 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

But why worry about it because a liar calling someone a liar pretty validates they are the truthful one IMHO.

His world is about appearances, alliances, friendships and who you know and what you call the people you don't know. Don't get upset about it but realize what it is and deal with it appropriately. Better still when you realize what their medicine is, you can give them a taste of it free from remorse because much like how they don't endorse your moral standards, they certainly can't live up to their own.

The posts on here that drive the left the most insane aren't those that deal with large numbers of facts or reality based events. They are the ones that deal with labels. You could say leftist policies have millions on food stamps and they don't care. You could say leftist policies have made unemployment chronic and it has remained above 9% for all but 2 months of the entire Obama presidency and they just dismiss it.

They dismiss it with the name and platitudes. You don't have the correct friends. You have the wrong intentions. You are an -ist engaging in an -ism.

Look at all the tea policy stuff they have mentioned. The group hasn't even got any real power. They've sponsored a few candidates who have actually been elected as members of the national party. Yet they fixate on the intentions, the labels, the associations. Those are all that matter.

So if you want to drive them mad. Find the "facts" that attack labels, associations and intentions. Let them go nuts defending sex offenders, lunacy and bias.

Quote:
Look at all the tea policy stuff they have mentioned. The group hasn't even got any real power. They've sponsored a few candidates who have actually been elected as members of the national party. Yet they fixate on the intentions, the labels, the associations. Those are all that matter.

The Tea Party has real power because the Republicans let them. The recent budget deal is proof.

Much to the GOP's negative outcome unfortunately for them.

Quote:
Let them go nuts defending sex offenders, lunacy and bias.

This statement has some lunacy and bias of it's own.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #381 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

The Tea Party has real power because the Republicans let them. The recent budget deal is proof.

Much to the GOP's negative outcome unfortunately for them.

Who is the Tea Party? You and others on this forum are trying to nail that down to a person or group. It really is not. They were elected by people who wanted them to perform a task. They did that task (or tried to) and now the people who did not elect those people are screaming about how they are terrorists. (this is my opinion, backed up by the people I know who claim the tea party label) I feel that the American people have started pulling on the strings and the lifetime politicians don't like it.

So who, in your opinion is pulling the strings? Don't speak to some fantasy about what I might mean. Just answer the question. Who do you feel is pulling the Tea Parties Strings?
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #382 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Who is the Tea Party? You and others on this forum are trying to nail that down to a person or group. It really is not. They were elected by people who wanted them to perform a task. They did that task (or tried to) and now the people who did not elect those people are screaming about how they are terrorists. (this is my opinion, backed up by the people I know who claim the tea party label) I feel that the American people have started pulling on the strings and the lifetime politicians don't like it.

So who, in your opinion is pulling the strings? Don't speak to some fantasy about what I might mean. Just answer the question. Who do you feel is pulling the Tea Parties Strings?

Quote:
Who do you feel is pulling the Tea Parties Strings

A bunch of people who don't like Obama's policies and who want to " return " to some quasi christian/conservative dream that doesn't match reality. The recent delay in the debt deal was an example. Unfortunately some actually listen to them. And in this case it was congressmen ( and John Boehner ) that listened causing the delay.

But don't just take my word for it :

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44037248...more_politics/

Quote:
As Tea Party reshapes GOP, cheer and worry

The grass-roots movement is pulling Republican debate to the far right

However it's my belief that this will backfire horribly if the GOP lets itself be dragged far right. People want Washington to work for them. That means compromise and compromise and extreme policies don't mix. The Tea party is already the subject of blame for the delay in the voter's eyes.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #383 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Who is the Tea Party? You and others on this forum are trying to nail that down to a person or group. It really is not. They were elected by people who wanted them to perform a task. They did that task (or tried to) and now the people who did not elect those people are screaming about how they are terrorists. (this is my opinion, backed up by the people I know who claim the tea party label) I feel that the American people have started pulling on the strings and the lifetime politicians don't like it.

So who, in your opinion is pulling the strings? Don't speak to some fantasy about what I might mean. Just answer the question. Who do you feel is pulling the Tea Parties Strings?

It doesn't matter them who or what the tea party could be defined or who might be involved or.control it. It is nothing more than a slur within a platitude for him.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #384 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

It doesn't matter them who or what the tea party could be defined or who might be involved or.control it. It is nothing more than a slur within a platitude for him.

Uh huh.

You can comment on the Forum member instead of the issues all you want. It won't change reality.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #385 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

A bunch of people who don't like Obama's policies and who want to " return " to some quasi christian/conservative dream that doesn't match reality. The recent delay in the debt deal was an example. Unfortunately some actually listen to them. And in this case it was congressmen ( and John Boehner ) that listened causing the delay.

But don't just take my word for it :

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44037248...more_politics/



However it's my belief that this will backfire horribly if the GOP lets itself be dragged far right. People want Washington to work for them. That means compromise and compromise and extreme policies don't mix. The Tea party is already the subject of blame for the delay in the voter's eyes.

Ok, so who make up this bunch of people? And are they there because of Obama specifically or is it more about overall fiscal policy in recent years?

I am asking for your opinion so you don't have to worry about whether I take your word for it at this point. But feel free to keep including backing links if you wish.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #386 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Ok, so who make up this bunch of people? And are they there because of Obama specifically or is it more about overall fiscal policy in recent years?

I am asking for your opinion so you don't have to worry about whether I take your word for it at this point. But feel free to keep including backing links if you wish.

Who's the republican party made of? Or the democrats for that matter? What are you really asking here?

Other than that you can ignore the links if you want. It won't change anything.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #387 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

But why worry about it because a liar calling someone a liar pretty validates they are the truthful one IMHO.

His world is about appearances, alliances, friendships and who you know and what you call the people you don't know. Don't get upset about it but realize what it is and deal with it appropriately. Better still when you realize what their medicine is, you can give them a taste of it free from remorse because much like how they don't endorse your moral standards, they certainly can't live up to their own.

The posts on here that drive the left the most insane aren't those that deal with large numbers of facts or reality based events. They are the ones that deal with labels. You could say leftist policies have millions on food stamps and they don't care. You could say leftist policies have made unemployment chronic and it has remained above 9% for all but 2 months of the entire Obama presidency and they just dismiss it.

They dismiss it with the name and platitudes. You don't have the correct friends. You have the wrong intentions. You are an -ist engaging in an -ism.

Look at all the tea policy stuff they have mentioned. The group hasn't even got any real power. They've sponsored a few candidates who have actually been elected as members of the national party. Yet they fixate on the intentions, the labels, the associations. Those are all that matter.

So if you want to drive them mad. Find the "facts" that attack labels, associations and intentions. Let them go nuts defending sex offenders, lunacy and bias.

Fair enough. Good points. Thanks.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #388 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Hmmm? I thought according to most of the conservatives here the Republican congress was a reason to celebrate? Things should have gotten better according to their thinking about this at the start of their term and in reference to the one prior to 2006 when talking about Dubbya's administration ( things went south because of the Democratic control congress in the last two years of his second term according to them ). But here we are not even a year into the Teapublican controlled congress and what do we have?

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/article..._congress_ever



A good read.

And of course he's not the only one who feels this way........

So more people are partisan idiots, then? The GOP doesn't have control of anything. They control 1/3 of the government. The Democrats control 2/3. The best they can do right now is slow down the train to hell. Turning it around is going to require veto-proof majorities and/or control of the Presidency, Senate and House.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Please don't try the old SDW defense " You never back up anything with facts ". I spent way too much time this morniing trying to point out things just aren't like the conservatives ( notice I didn't say Republicans ) on this forum think. And I backed that up with facts in the form of links. Just because you don't like them or that they are a bitter pill to swallow isn't my fault.

It's not a "defense," it an statement of fact. You are incapable of supporting your positions with data. You've done this for years--linking to opinion pieces and then writing "see, I'm not the only one who things this!" On the rare occasion that you do post actual data, you grossly misinterpret it or fail to see that it actually makes your opponent's argument, not yours.

And while we're on the topic of what's typical around here, I predict you'll respond to this post with a smart-ass, drive-by comment followed by a smilie.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #389 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Who's the republican party made of? Or the democrats for that matter? What are you really asking here?

Other than that you can ignore the links if you want. It won't change anything.

Exactly my point. With the republicans you have the RNC. With the Democrats you have the DNC. Who do you have with the Tea Party?

I am not ignoring the links. I am simply saying that I am not trying to converse at that level right now. But you don't have to let that stop you from making value adds if you wish to.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #390 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Exactly my point. With the republicans you have the RNC. With the Democrats you have the DNC. Who do you have with the Tea Party?

I am not ignoring the links. I am simply saying that I am not trying to converse at that level right now. But you don't have to let that stop you from making value adds if you wish to.

Quote:
Who do you have with the Tea Party?

I guess it would be a fringe group loosely made up of the more extreme wing of the Republican and Libertarian party.

Here's what Wiki has to say about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_Party_movement

Quote:
The Tea Party's most noted national figures include Republican politicians such as Michele Bachmann, Sarah Palin, Dick Armey, and Ron Paul, with Paul described by some as the "intellectual godfather" of the movement.[17][18] Though the Tea Party movement is not, as of 2011, a national political party, polls show that most Tea Partiers consider themselves to be Republicans[19][20] and it has tended to endorse Republican candidates.[21] Commentators including Gallup editor-in-chief Frank Newport have suggested that the movement is not a new political group, but simply a rebranding of traditional Republican candidates and policies.[19][22][23] An October 2010 Washington Post canvass of local Tea Party organizers found 87% saying "dissatisfaction with mainstream Republican Party leaders" was "an important factor in the support the group has received so far

And

Quote:
Canvass and polls

An October 2010 Washington Post canvass of local Tea Party organizers found 99% said "concern about the economy" was an "important factor".[24] Polls have also examined Tea Party supporters' views on race and racial politics. The University of Washington poll of registered voters in Washington State found that 74% of Tea Party supporters agreed with the statement "[w]hile equal opportunity for blacks and minorities to succeed is important, it's not really the government's job to guarantee it", while a CBS/New York Times poll found that 25% think that the administration favors blacks over whites, compared with just 11% of the general public, and that they are more likely to believe Obama was born outside the United States.[74][80][81] A seven state study conducted from the University of Washington found that Tea Party movement supporters within those states were "more likely to be racially resentful" than the population as a whole, even when controlling for partisanship and ideology.[82][83] Of white poll respondents who strongly approve of the Tea Party, only 35% believe that blacks are hard-working, compared to 55% of those strongly opposed to the Tea Party, and 40% of all respondents.[84][85] However, analysis done by ABC News' Polling Unit found that views on race "are not significant predictors of support for the Tea Party movement" because they are typical of whites who are very conservative.[86][87]

But I'm guessing since you could look this up for yourself you already know this. After the Debt deal trying to claim they don't have any real influence or power would be foolish.

However the way that they have been going I can't see them being a long term influence. As I've said the voters want Washington to work for them. That would mean compromise between the rightwing and the leftwing. Both are real demographics. Something the Tea party has shown they're not really good at.

So what are you really getting at?
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #391 of 736
Anyway...since the world is not going to end now...or something...we can now start to look ahead to the Democrats real plan for reducing the deficit and, eventually, the debt. Which is?

*waits*

hmmmm

*waits some more*

uhhhh..anyone? anyone? Bueller?

*crickets*

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #392 of 736
Raising taxes on millionaires, of course.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #393 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Raising taxes on millionaires, of course.

Thanks jazzguru. I should have been more specific. I meant to say plan that will actually work.

P.S. I heard an interesting statistic today. Can you guess what percentages of millionaires fit into these categories:

1. senior corporate executives
2. athletes and entertainers
3. doctors and lawyers
4. business owners

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #394 of 736
Well a downgrade may happen after all.

Quote:
The reports said the main reasons likely to be cited for a U.S. downgrade by S&P included political confusion surrounding the process of hiking the debt limit and doubt that agreement would be reached on more deficit reductions.

Quote:
Moody's assigned a negative outlook for U.S. sovereign dedt, meaning it could still downgrade the securities, although probably not anytime soon. Moody's said there would be a risk of downgrade if there is "a weakening in fiscal discipline, a deterioration in the economic outlook or if Congress fails to adopt more deficit-reduction measures in 2013.

Another major agency, Fitch, said it would complete its review of the nation's sovereign debt rating by the end of August and did not rule out a downgrade.

Standard & Poor's had warned that the nation's credit rating would be subject to a downgrade without a credible deficit-reduction package worth $4 trillion over 10 years. The package agreed to by congressional negotiators falls well short of that mark.

This isn't surprising of course because the Democrats blocked an real deficit reduction plan and and budget sanity in favor of simply demonizing those who called for fiscal responsibility and tried to pull the country back in the right direction.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #395 of 736
But wanting to make meaningful spending cuts that would actually make a dent in the deficit is tantamount to terrorism or something.

Think of the children.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #396 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

But wanting to make meaningful spending cuts that would actually make a dent in the deficit is tantamount to terrorism or something.

Think of the children.

And puppies. Don't forget about the puppies.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #397 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Well a downgrade may happen after all.

They called off the downgrade = "multi million dollar math error" says S&P.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #398 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Well a downgrade may happen after all.





This isn't surprising of course because the Democrats blocked an real deficit reduction plan and and budget sanity in favor of simply demonizing those who called for fiscal responsibility and tried to pull the country back in the right direction.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44040574/

Well fortunately what you're hoping for may not happen after all.

Quote:
CNBC: US braces for possible debt downgrade

S&P reportedly warns government of action, then reconsiders after error is pointed out

Quote:
CNBC's John Harwood reported that S&P told the federal government at 1:30 p.m. ET Friday that it was preparing to downgrade the country's rating. But Harwood reported that after U.S. officials pointed out an error in how S&P computed the ratio of U.S. debt to the gross domestic product, S&P decided to reconsider.

A source said S&P's calculations were off by "trillions," CNBC reported.


Quote:
This isn't surprising of course because the Democrats blocked an real deficit reduction plan and and budget sanity in favor of simply demonizing those who called for fiscal responsibility and tried to pull the country back in the right direction.
Today 04:10 PM

What " plan " was that? Cutting senior's medicare, or social security?

Wasn't not too long ago the conservatives were talking about " Death Panels"?

As far as I could see ( and many others so please don't try to paint me as a fringe viewpoint on this ) it was the Teapublicans who stalled real nogotiations.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #399 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

They called off the downgrade = "multi million dollar math error" says S&P.

Oh dear God. It's worse than I thought.

We have debt rating companies that can't do math, rating debt for a government that can't do math, with a citizenry that can't do math.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #400 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

They called off the downgrade = "multi million dollar math error" says S&P.

Make that trillions.

Quote:
A source said S&P's calculations were off by "trillions," CNBC reported.

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Budget Deal