or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Budget Deal
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Budget Deal - Page 19

post #721 of 736
BR, you do realize that you're blaming government for the failure of government, don't you?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #722 of 736

Didn't they also revise downward the July job numbers as well?
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #723 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

The Tea Party is in clear control of the Republican party. Boehner was utterly afraid of them during the whole debt ceiling nonsense.

I guess the tea party wields so much power that they control the democrats too? If that is the case, then they must not be the minority you want to believe they are.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #724 of 736


FAIL.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #725 of 736

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #726 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Report: Buffett's Berkshire Owes $1 Billion In Back Taxes

Hypocrisy, anyone?

Yay! He can now make good on his claims and pay that 1 billion back now!

That should be a nice little bump in government receipts for the month.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #727 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Yay! He can now make good on his claims and pay that 1 billion back now!

That should be a nice little bump in government receipts for the month.

That would cover federal government spending for about 2 hours.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #728 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

And the reaction of the Statists says it all.

Blind spots say even more.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #729 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Report: Buffett's Berkshire Owes $1 Billion In Back Taxes

Hypocrisy, anyone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NewsMax


Quote:
Newsmax Media is a conservative American news media organization founded by Christopher W. Ruddy and based in West Palm Beach, Florida. It operates the news website Newsmax.com, publishes Newsmax Magazine, as well as a host of health and financial newsletters.[1]

No bias there!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #730 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NewsMax
No bias there!

Just as it's idiotic when SDW says he won't believe a report just because it's Huffington Post, we shouldn't attack the messenger here. Is there a story or not? If this is an accusation without evidence, I would expect a lawsuit here, as it's clearly defamation.

Okay, I've read the story here and I see absolutely no evidence of any wrongdoing here, or of anything out of the ordinary, for that matter. I also see nothing hypocritical about BH's practices in the context of Buffett's statements. This is an idiotic piece.

Anyone who thinks is is hypocrisy, just like anyone claiming if Buffett wants to pay more taxes, he can give directly to the government, simply doesn't understand Buffett's position.
post #731 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Just as it's idiotic when SDW says he won't believe a report just because it's Huffington Post, we shouldn't attack the messenger here. Is there a story or not? If this is an accusation without evidence, I would expect a lawsuit here, as it's clearly defamation.

Okay, I've read the story here and I see absolutely no evidence of any wrongdoing here, or of anything out of the ordinary, for that matter. I also see nothing hypocritical about BH's practices in the context of Buffett's statements. This is an idiotic piece.

Anyone who thinks is is hypocrisy, just like anyone claiming if Buffett wants to pay more taxes, he can give directly to the government, simply doesn't understand Buffett's position.

Quote:
Just as it's idiotic when SDW says he won't believe a report just because it's Huffington Post, we shouldn't attack the messenger here.

You're right and fair enough. It is an idiotic piece though.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #732 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

That would cover federal government spending for about 2 hours.

Maybe, but it would still be a nice bump in the receipts...
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #733 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Just as it's idiotic when SDW says he won't believe a report just because it's Huffington Post, we shouldn't attack the messenger here. Is there a story or not? If this is an accusation without evidence, I would expect a lawsuit here, as it's clearly defamation.

Okay, I've read the story here and I see absolutely no evidence of any wrongdoing here, or of anything out of the ordinary, for that matter. I also see nothing hypocritical about BH's practices in the context of Buffett's statements. This is an idiotic piece.

Anyone who thinks is is hypocrisy, just like anyone claiming if Buffett wants to pay more taxes, he can give directly to the government, simply doesn't understand Buffett's position.

Ok, I just read it too. This is common business practice to limit your taxes and expenses. However, how does it square with Buffett's position? What are you seeing that is different than me? Please don't be snarky or sarcastic in your reply. I wish to understand your position on Buffett's here.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #734 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Ok, I just read it too. This is common business practice to limit your taxes and expenses. However, how does it square with Buffett's position? What are you seeing that is different than me? Please don't be snarky or sarcastic in your reply. I wish to understand your position on Buffett's here.

Buffett's position is clearly not that he, Gates, the Waltons, Exxon, Citibank or whoever (Berkshire) aren't paying their fair share of taxes. It's that the government doesn't charge them their fair share of taxes. Do you not see the distinction there?

Secondly, it would most probably be ILLEGAL if Berkshire Hathaway, whose duty is to maximize the profits of shareholders, were to stop trying to minimize their tax burden according to the law. Buffett could go and give a billion dollars to the government if he (foolishly) decided to do so, but if Berkshire suddenly said, "Oh, we're not claiming these tax credits any more, here's your 1B!" they would have their pants sued off of them and would face an SEC investigation and multiple court battles before you could say the first word in "Tea Party".
post #735 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Buffett's position is clearly not that he, Gates, the Waltons, Exxon, Citibank or whoever (Berkshire) aren't paying their fair share of taxes. It's that the government doesn't charge them their fair share of taxes. Do you not see the distinction there?

Secondly, it would most probably be ILLEGAL if Berkshire Hathaway, whose duty is to maximize the profits of shareholders, were to stop trying to minimize their tax burden according to the law. Buffett could go and give a billion dollars to the government if he (foolishly) decided to do so, but if Berkshire suddenly said, "Oh, we're not claiming these tax credits any more, here's your 1B!" they would have their pants sued off of them and would face an SEC investigation and multiple court battles before you could say the first word in "Tea Party".

Thank you for your reply.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #736 of 736
Obama’s Failure on Jobs: Four Damning Charts










And now Obama wants to do more of the same (pump another $300 billion in fiat currency into the economy), thinking that somehow the results will be different this time.

Or maybe he knows it won't have the effect he says it will.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Budget Deal