or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Speeds: Encrypted Disk Images vs Disks

Speeds: Encrypted Disk Images vs Disks

post #1 of 2
Hi all,

As we just had a break in at the office, I have been looking into encrypting my external disks in order to protect the data on them in case they ever fell into the wrong hands. I have seen that some are creating disk images of the data on their drives, then when they plug in the disks, mounting the disk would require a password to access the files.

This seems like a good solution, but also slightly seems like a hack. Does anyone know if this is standard practice? Another question that may seem illogical, but how does reading data from a virtual disk differ from reading data from the actual disk? Specifically in relation to speeds, fragmentation, etc. Is the data structure as safe as it would be storing on a regular journaled disk if being stored on a spared image?

Sorry for all the questions...just a bit of scary step to take when all I want is security.

Thanks in advance for any help.

kitz
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post

How so?

I guess just in comparison to, say, password protecting a directory on the server, making a drive inside a drive seemed strange, but if that is standard practice, i will have to change my way of thinking!

So in regards to doing this, I would effectively just make a sparse disk image, copy all of the data from the drive to it, (test it), then delete the data from the drive apart from the disk image?

Would you suggest I use carboncopy or superduper for this kind of task?

Thanks,
Joel
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Speeds: Encrypted Disk Images vs Disks