or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon CEO 'assumed' Apple would release new iPhone in early summer

Verizon CEO 'assumed' Apple would release new iPhone in early summer

post #1 of 58
Showing that Apple keeps its partners in the dark along with the rest of the outside world, Verizon's chief executive revealed on Friday that his company believed Apple would release a new iPhone early in the summer as usual.

Lowell McAdam spoke with CNBC on Friday, and explained that his company believed Apple would release a new iPhone in the June-July timeframe, as it has done in years past. The comments suggest that Apple did not reveal any plans about its anticipated next-generation handset with one of its largest partners.

"We had assumed that we would see an iPhone early in the summertime as it's been usually, and that's going to be a little bit later in the year now," McAdam said. "We replaced that with very strong LTE device growth. Nobody thought we would have LTE devices; we have nine of them in the market now. (We have a) very strong lineup for the fourth quarter now."

Verizon announced during its quarterly earnings call this morning that McAdam would take over the CEO position from Ivan Seidenberg, who will stay with the company as chairman. The company also revealed that it activated 2.3 million iPhone 4 units during the three-month span, a number that was 1.3 million less than rival AT&T.

Verizon's partnership with Apple began late last year, when the carrier began selling Apple's Wi-Fi-only iPad bundled with its own MiFi Intelligent Hotspot for 3G data connectivity on the go. Since then, Verizon has also begun selling the iPhone, Apple's most popular product.

Since its partnership with Apple began, Verizon has been the source of numerous Apple-related leaks. In January, when the Verizon iPhone was announced, the company's chief financial officer said that Apple's next iPad would feature an integrated CDMA radio. An iPad 2 model compatible with Verizon's network launched a few months later in February.

The company's CFO, Fran Shammo, also revealed that both Verizon and AT&T will launch Apple's fifth-generation iPhone at the same time. Some had questioned whether a Verizon "iPhone 5" would be introduced at a later date, given the recent introduction of the iPhone 4.

Shammo also suggested in April that Apple's fifth-generation iPhone could be a GSM-CDMA world phone, compatible with both the Verizon and AT&T networks in the U.S. That would allow Apple to manufacture one device, rather than two separate hardware versions for the two competing carriers.
post #2 of 58
McAdam reportedly also indicated Verizon was "somewhat disappointed" in iPhone sales.
http://www.itworld.com/mobile-wirele...artphone-goals
melior diabolus quem scies
post #3 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

McAdam reportedly also indicated Verizon was "somewhat disappointed" in iPhone sales.

With Apple having 20.3 million sales under its belt for the last quarter I'm guessing that McAdam is the only one who's disappointed with iPhone sales.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #4 of 58
Quote:

The author of the linked article apparently saw it differently when he/she wrote:

"Not that Verizon is disappointed with iPhone sales since the company in February became the second carrier (after AT&T) to sell the Apple smartphone. In less than six months Verizon has activated 4.5 million iPhones, including 2.3 million in the second quarter, which ended June 30."
post #5 of 58
I wonder if that is within Apple's control. By the scuttlebutt I've heard, a lot of electronics and components from Japan have supply constraints, and it affected a lot of product introductions.
post #6 of 58
Quote:

Wow GatorGuy...you have taken trolling to a new level with outright fabrications. The real quote from the article is:

Quote:
Not that Verizon is disappointed with iPhone sales since the company in February became the second carrier (after AT&T) to sell the Apple smartphone. In less than six months Verizon has activated 4.5 million iPhones, including 2.3 million in the second quarter, which ended June 30.

In other words, Verizon is NOT disappointed with sales...
post #7 of 58
Umm didn't we all?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #8 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Umm didn't we all?

I know I did. \
post #9 of 58
I dunno, but maybe he should start reading something like AI.

Do these folks live in a bubble!?
post #10 of 58
Quote:

From your erroneous quote .... (how did you manage to f*ck up a quote/) .... one can only assume that you have zero reading/understanding skills .... or you derive some $$$$ from driving hits to that particular website ..... so, which is it ???
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #11 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Wow GatorGuy...you have taken trolling to a new level with outright fabrications.

Along with a couple of others here, he's just shameless and relentless.

He'll be back with the next bit of negative spin before you know it.....
post #12 of 58
Now Mr. CEO, what happens when we assume? Maybe he should have asked? Or gotten something in writing? Nah.....

It's cool, he'll be much happier when the new model comes out and all will be forgiven.
post #13 of 58
Ah, sorry. Read too many articles today on too many subjects. Try this link, from USA Today, for the claim that Verizon is disappointed in the iPhone sales so far.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/compan...earnings_n.htm

Quote:
"McAdam said iPhone sales haven't quite been as good as the company expected, chiefly because it believed a new iPhone model would arrive this summer, as it usually does. Apple hasn't said why there's no new phone yet."

Another article, which escapes me at the moment, indicated the exact words McAdams used was "somewhat disappointed".

Keep in mind that Verizon projected upwards of 13M iPhones sold this calendar year (I think), so the fewer than 5 million sold so far puts a lot of pressure on management from the investors.
post #14 of 58
Well, VZ welcome to the lack of information AT&T has been dealing with since 2007.
post #15 of 58
Quote:

Once again it's time to remind the carriers that the hardware (in this case the iPhone) is separate from the carrier. While customers may choose the iPhone, some have also chosen NOT to use Verzion. Perhaps it's the Verzion service and/or pricing that's a disappointment and not the iPhone itself.

Does his statement also imply that the carrier is relying on a separate and distinct hardware manufactured to boost the carrier's sales?

Lastly, it would seem that unless Apple is contractually required to notify it's "partners" of any and all proposed hardware releases, why would Lowell expect them to. Or is Verzion riding on the coattails of Apple's success?
post #16 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80025 View Post

Once again it's time to remind the carriers that the hardware (in this case the iPhone) is separate from the carrier. While customers may choose the iPhone, some have also chosen NOT to use Verzion. Perhaps it's the Verzion service and/or pricing that's a disappointment and not the iPhone itself.

And note that Apple has no reason at all to be disappointed. They sold 20 million iPhones. It's not their fault that Verizon could only turn a bit more than 10% of those. But if between ATT and Verizon they activated around 6 million iPhones, that means a whole lotta them went overseas doesn't it? Or do phones purchased at an Apple Store (yet activated w/Verizon or ATT) not count in the carrier's stated figures?
post #17 of 58
Quote:

And note that Apple has no reason at all to be disappointed. They sold 20 million iPhones. It's not their fault that Verizon could only turn a bit more than 10% of those. But if between ATT and Verizon they activated around 6 million iPhones, that means a whole lotta them went overseas doesn't it? Or do phones purchased at an Apple Store (yet activated w/Verizon or ATT) not count in the carrier's stated figures?

They should count to the carrier figures, once they get activated. There have been rumours that the CDMA phone wasn't selling as well as expected before this.

http://www.macstories.net/news/apple...ing-low-sales/
post #18 of 58
McN00b.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #19 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I wonder if that is within Apple's control. By the scuttlebutt I've heard, a lot of electronics and components from Japan have supply constraints, and it affected a lot of product introductions.

Yep. That is probably the main reason they had issues with ipad 2 stock and a major reason why they pushed the iphone launch to later in the summer.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #20 of 58
Quote:

What a troll Gatorguy is
, nowhere within his own link does it say that Verizon was or is disappointed.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

post #21 of 58
Realistic, you're right that my original link was the incorrect one. Continue to post 13 where I reference the correct link where USA Today writes "McAdam said iPhone sales haven't quite been as good as the company expected. . . "

You're welcome.
post #22 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorguy View Post

realistic, you're right that my original link was the incorrect one. Continue to post 13 where i reference the correct link where usa today writes "mcadam said iphone sales haven't quite been as good as the company expected. . . "

you're welcome.

nice try but link is bad as well.

post #23 of 58
Quote:

Realistic, you're right that my original link was the incorrect one. Continue to post 13 where I reference the correct link where USA Today writes "McAdam said iPhone sales haven't quite been as good as the company expected. . . "

You're welcome.

Quote:

Quote:
"McAdam said iPhone sales haven't quite been as good as the company expected, chiefly because it believed a new iPhone model would arrive this summer, as it usually does. Apple hasn't said why there's no new phone yet."

The second link didn't show Verizon is *somewhat* disappointed with sales, just lack of new iPhone. (Verizon expected lines at its store like every iPhone launches but hey, there's no lines because there's no new model for us yet.)

Quote:

Another article, which escapes me at the moment, indicated the exact words McAdams used was "somewhat disappointed".

And what is this? Talking about something you don't even remember yourself?
post #24 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

The second link didn't show Verizon is *somewhat* disappointed with sales, just lack of new iPhone. (Verizon expected lines at its store like every iPhone launches but hey, there's no lines because there's no new model for us yet.)

And what is this? Talking about something you don't even remember yourself?

I suppose they could be be pleased even if sales haven't been what they expected. \

FWIW, the original mention of disappointment, and apparently what I'm recalling, came in a tweet from Peter Svensson (petersvensson), technology writer for the Associated Press:

"Verizon's McAdam said iPhone sales were somewhat disappointing, partly b/c he thought there'd be a new iPhone this summer."
21 hours ago
post #25 of 58
Quote:

I suppose they could be be pleased even if sales haven't been what they expected. \

FWIW, the original mention of disappointment, and apparently what I'm recalling, came in a tweet from Peter Svensson (petersvensson), technology writer for the Associated Press:

"Verizon's McAdam said iPhone sales were somewhat disappointing, partly b/c he thought there'd be a new iPhone this summer."
21 hours ago

You really haven't earned your pay for the past couple of days. I feel sort of sorry for you though. Everyone realizes you are a paid spin doctor and you just don't get any respect, except the other paid spin doctors, of course.
post #26 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

You really haven't earned your pay for the past couple of days. I feel sort of sorry for you though. Everyone realizes you are a paid spin doctor and you just don't get any respect, except the other paid spin doctors, of course.

Good morning Anonymouse. Are you up early, or on the East Coast? Or perhaps Europe? Transplanted New Englander myself, now surviving in a too hot Florida.
post #27 of 58
Quote:

Good morning Anonymouse. Are you up early, or on the East Coast? Or perhaps Europe? Transplanted New Englander myself, now surviving in a too hot Florida.

You should come to London - I'm contemplating turning my heating on, our July is just that good.
post #28 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

You should come to London - I'm contemplating turning my heating on, our July is just that good.

I've tried. Still working on an invite from a good friend of mine who runs a forum there. Thought I had wrangled a expenses paid trip last year. I'll get there.
post #29 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Since its partnership with Apple began, Verizon has been the source of numerous Apple-related leaks. In January, when the Verizon iPhone was announced, the company's chief financial officer said that Apple's next iPad would feature an integrated CDMA radio. An iPad 2 model compatible with Verizon's network launched a few months later in February.

I do not remember an iPad 2 coming out in February. For that matter I don't remember February coming a few months later than January...

post #30 of 58
The troll forgot to mention a key piece of info from the articles. This is from New York Times: "Although Verizon continued to achieve sales from its catalog of Android and 4G devices, the company sold far fewer of those devices than they did iPhones. For the quarter, the company reported sales of 1.2 million LTE and Android devices, which includes tablets, smartphones and wireless modems."

That compares to 2.3M iPhones (which, even the CEO admits, was yesterday's model)! http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/23/te....html?_r=1&hpw
post #31 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The troll forgot to mention a key piece of info from the articles. This is from New York Times: "Although Verizon continued to achieve sales from its catalog of Android and 4G devices, the company sold far fewer of those devices than they did iPhones. For the quarter, the company reported sales of 1.2 million LTE and Android devices, which includes tablets, smartphones and wireless modems."

That compares to 2.3M iPhones (which, even the CEO admits, was yesterday's model)! http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/23/te....html?_r=1&hpw

I had no plans to mention figures for other OS's since they weren't germane to the original article. But since you apparently want it discussed, Verizon is estimated to have sold 6.3 million smartphones in the second quarter according to Citadel. The 1.2 million figure you mention is only the number of 4G devices and smartphones, most of which would be Android-based, not total Android smartphone sales.

"Verizon Wireless sold 1.2 million 4G LTE smartphones and Internet data devices, comprising mostly handsets based on Google's Android operating system.

Verizon sells the Android-based HTC Thunderbolt 4G, Samsung Droid Charge and LG Revolution smartphones, in addition to the MiFi 4510L 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot from Novatel Wireless.
Citadel estimated Verizon sold 6.3 million total smartphones in Q2."

So 2.3 million iPhones, plus 1.2 million 4G devices, nearly all Android, as reported by Verizon leaves another 2.8 million smartphones sold, some mixture of Blackberry, WM7 and Android models. Safe to assume the majority of those 2.8 million were Android based. Android smartphone sales at Verizon were probably 3 million+.

Your clip from the NYT you posted was evidently either a mis-quote or a writer's misunderstanding of the figures Verizon reported.
post #32 of 58
Quote:

Lowell McAdam spoke with CNBC on Friday, and explained that his company believed Apple would release a new iPhone in the June-July timeframe, as it has done in years past. The comments suggest that Apple did not reveal any plans about its anticipated next-generation handset with one of its largest partners.

It also suggests that McAdam is an idiot. You don't run major companies on speculation. You determine what the facts are to the best of your ability and base things on facts.

I understand that Apple may not have told them (but see below), but in that case, you don't build a business plan on a non-existent, unannounced product - especially when all the rumors say that it's not coming out in June/July, anyway.

Quote:

The company's CFO, Fran Shammo, also revealed that both Verizon and AT&T will launch Apple's fifth-generation iPhone at the same time.

Shammo also suggested in April that Apple's fifth-generation iPhone could be a GSM-CDMA world phone, compatible with both the Verizon and AT&T networks in the U.S. That would allow Apple to manufacture one device, rather than two separate hardware versions for the two competing carriers.

That's interesting. So they claim that they didn't know that the iPhone 5 wouldn't be out in June/July because of lack of information from Apple - yet now they're saying that they know that they'll have iPhone 5 at the same time as AT&T and claiming to have advance knowledge of the new iPhone.

Sounds like someone's lying.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #33 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's interesting. So they claim that they didn't know that the iPhone 5 wouldn't be out in June/July because of lack of information from Apple - yet now they're saying that they know that they'll have iPhone 5 at the same time as AT&T and claiming to have advance knowledge of the new iPhone.

Agreed. I guess he's trying to claim he doesn't know what he knows.
post #34 of 58
Quote:

They may have received an assurance that they'd get iPhone-5 at the same time as AT&T and just presumed that this meant in June/July. It might not be lying, just standard corporate snafu.
post #35 of 58
Quote:

They may have received an assurance that they'd get iPhone-5 at the same time as AT&T and just presumed that this meant in June/July. It might not be lying, just standard corporate snafu.

Heh.... yeah right. I can see that conversation, going something like this:

V: So, we just want to make sure, we'll get the iPhone in June like ATT, right?
A: Oh yes, we assure you you'll get it at the same time ATT gets it.
V: OK in JUNE, like ATT... good!
A: Yes, right when ATT gets it.
V: Oh good, it'll be so nice to have a new model in JUUUUUUNE!
A: That *would* be nice, wouldn't it. KBYE!

No chance that happened.
post #36 of 58
Quote:

Yes, it's possible that their contract says that they will receive new phones at the same time as AT&T, so that part is not necessarily a lie. HOWEVER, you left off the next part:

Quote:

Shammo also suggested in April that Apple's fifth-generation iPhone could be a GSM-CDMA world phone, compatible with both the Verizon and AT&T networks in the U.S.

Either they made that up - in which case they're lying, or they DO get advance information from Apple - in which case they're ALSO lying about assuming there'd be a new iPhone.

I guess it's just remotely possible that Apple gave them the technical details of the next generation phone but never told them anything at all about timing. AND, they never saw any of the rumors from any of the mainstream media that the next iPhone wouldn't be out until this fall. That just doesn't pass the smell test.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #37 of 58
Quote:

I guess it's just remotely possible that Apple gave them the technical details of the next generation phone but never told them anything at all about timing. AND, they never saw any of the rumors from any of the mainstream media that the next iPhone wouldn't be out until this fall. That just doesn't pass the smell test.

Ugh. Verizon doesn't need to read mainstream press rumors to find out when the next iPhone is due. They have a big red phone that only dials one number. If they want to find out when the next phone is coming, they call Apple and ask. Apple with either say that it's coming in June, or they say we haven't set a final date, but don't expect it in June. Apple isn't going to tell Verizon "I guess you'll just have to wait and see". There's just no way. Plus, where do you think the "mainstream press" gets its info for rumors? You think Verizon has any contacts in cell phone factories in Asia they could ask?

The fact is, what happened was that Apple told Verizon they hadn't set a ship date for the new phone, but they were aiming for June/July as usual. As time went by, it became clear to Verizon and the rest of the world that that wasn't happening. There wasn't radio silence between Apple and Verizon for 3 months. In fact, we all know that cell phone providers are a big part of new product testing for manufacturers, so they probably had pre-production hardware in April.

By that time (April, May), Verizon's "expectations" (formed in February) of the phone in June were dashed. But that doesn't mean that they didn't have those expectations in February, and planned out their financial year accordingly. The quotes from Verizon this week don't mean that Verizon, yesterday, still thought the new Phone was coming in July. They just mean that Verizon at one time expected it in July.

I can't believe all the back and forth here that assumes that Verizon has to read the newspaper to find out when they're going to be buying $1,000,000,000 worth of new product from Apple. Cmon people, don't be so dumb!
post #38 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Heh.... yeah right. I can see that conversation, going something like this:

A: Oh yes, we assure you you'll get it at the same time ATT gets it.
V: OK in JUNE, like ATT... good!
A: Yes, right when ATT gets it.
V: Oh good, it'll be so nice to have a new model in JUUUUUUNE!
A: That *would* be nice, wouldn't it. KBYE!

No chance that happened.

A: We assure you you'll get it at the same time ATT gets it, but we're not ready to announce a date.

Fixed that for you.
post #39 of 58
Quote:

A: We assure you you'll get it at the same time ATT gets it, but we're not ready to announce a date.

Fixed that for you.

That was exactly my point. Thanks for dumbing it down for anyone not able to understand sarcasm.
post #40 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

That was exactly my point. Thanks for dumbing it down for anyone not able to understand sarcasm.

Except you also seem to be saying that Apple will give the Operators months of heads up over when the date actually is or isn't - and I don't think there's any evidence of that.

Apple is an order of magnitude more secretive about this stuff than the other handset makers.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon CEO 'assumed' Apple would release new iPhone in early summer