or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › No capital q
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

No capital q

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I don't know if this thread belongs on General Discussion, Mac Software, Genius Bar, or Mac OS X. Genius bar is the place for support/help requests, moved accordingly - Mr. H

On my iMac, pressing Shift -q doesn't create a capital q; in fact, it doesn't do anything.

I have looked at every keyboard short cut item I could find using spotlight. I cannot find any short-cut using Shift-q.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can return a capital q? Or find the possible short-cut.
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #2 of 11
Thats really weird !
What happens if you press Caps Lock ?
Get a capital Q ?
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post

Thats really weird !
What happens if you press Caps Lock ?
Get a capital Q ?

QQQQQ Yep. My face is red; however, still no Q when I use shift-q,

I've been trying to find if that is a keyboard shortcut, but no luck so far.

Thanx
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #4 of 11
Then I think that you must have a bit of cr@p stuck under the shift key.

There is no other shortcut other than shift- so you can ease up on that search :-)
cheers
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post

Then I think that you must have a bit of cr@p stuck under the shift key.

There is no other shortcut other than shift- so you can ease up on that search :-)
cheers

No, I don't think so as neither shift key will produce a capital q and the shift keys produce a capital for every other letter.
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #6 of 11
Sounds like somehow the Shift + q key combination has been assigned to something other than a capital Q. I found this forum post elsewhere, it's worth a shot.

Quote:
Try:

Click on your Apple menu and scroll down to: System Preferences...

In System Preferences, click once on: Speech.

In the Speech window, click on the second tab named: Text to Speech.

Under Text to Speech, beneath the System Voice and the Speaking Rate, there are three check boxes:

Announce when alerts are displayed
Announce when an application requires your attention
Speak selected text when the key is pressed


Is Speak selected text when the key is pressed ticked?

Hope this helps!
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by boolean_peanut View Post

Sounds like somehow the Shift + q key combination has been assigned to something other than a capital Q. I found this forum post elsewhere, it's worth a shot.
Hope this helps!

Certainly worth a shot in this case. That IS the answer to my problem.

Thanks, I never thought to check 'Speech'. What forum did you find the post on?

You've paid your 'dues' already. I'm not aware of anybody solving a problem on their first post.

Welcome to AI.
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Certainly worth a shot in this case. That IS the answer to my problem.

Thanks, I never thought to check 'Speech'. What forum did you find the post on?

You've paid your 'dues' already. I'm not aware of anybody solving a problem on their first post.

Welcome to AI.

Thanks, I can't list the forum's URL because I did that in my initial post which got me instantly perma-banned and I had to recreate a second account to try again without linking the URL. But it was an Australian website dedicated to all things Mac.
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by boolean_peanut View Post

Thanks, I can't list the forum's URL because I did that in my initial post which got me instantly perma-banned and I had to recreate a second account to try again without linking the URL. But it was an Australian website dedicated to all things Mac.

Uh... what?
post #10 of 11
Yeah, the first account I made got banned when I attempted to link to the post I found. After I clicked the submit button, it told me I was permanently banned and the reason was empty. I made a second account (this one) and resubmitted the reply without linking the URL, and everything went fine.
post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
I found the site. Easy to read. Thanks
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › No capital q