or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › PayPal users mistakenly charged as much as $4,000 for Mac OS X Lion

PayPal users mistakenly charged as much as $4,000 for Mac OS X Lion

post #1 of 50
Multiple PayPal users have been incorrectly charged for purchasing Mac OS X 10.7 Lion from the Mac App Store numerous times, with one user claiming to have received a bill of nearly $4,000 for the $29.99 software.

One customer who contacted AppleInsider on Wednesday said they were charged $3,878 on July 28 in a series of 122 separate charges for $31.79 each. They said they reached out to Apple but have not been able to secure a refund.

"Apple blames PayPal, PayPal blames Apple," they wrote in an e-mail. "They both are claiming to investigate, but I am stuck broke for three days now."

The story is bolstered by a growing thread on the official Apple Support Communities, filled with users who have also seen multiple mistaken charges for Lion. The thread was started by user "abhas," who found they were charged by the iTunes Store 20 times for Lion, leaving them with a bill of $599.80.

The problem seems to lie solely with users who have a PayPal account connected to their iTunes Store account for payments. Some who contacted PayPal said they were told that the multiple charges were made by the iTunes Store, while Apple has insisted to some that the iTunes Store only charged ones.

"I just got off the phone with PayPal," user "JustinIowa" wrote. "They said that even though Apple has refunded the balance and it shows that in my PayPal account, that they will not refund the money back to my bank account. It will wait until it withdraws the full amount from my bank balance, then it will be refunded to my PayPal balance."

Some reported that they have been hit with overdraft fees and other charges because of mistaken multiple charges. Some have also been left waiting days for the refunds to reappear in their PayPal accounts.

"App Store agents have told me this is now a known issue and Apple is investigating the specific causes," user "teknikks" wrote on the Apple forums. "So far they can only blame an overload in their automated payment system from all the Lion downloads."

Currently available only on the Mac App Store, Lion got off to a strong start last week, topping a million downloads in its first day of availability. That's the fastest start of any operating system in Apple history.

The switch from disc-based operating system installs to the Mac App Store did result in issues for a handful of users who experienced problems updating their systems to Lion. But by all accounts those issues have been rare, as 14,772 customers on the Mac App Store have given Lion an average score of four-and-a-half stars out of five.
post #2 of 50
That would be a better campaign than the anti-drugs campaign. Regardless of whose fault this is, with PayPal resolution will be almost impossible. Use a real credit card and it would be worked out in hours.
post #3 of 50
This is why I have my paypal account backed by US guaranteed securities!
post #4 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

This is why I have my paypal account backed by US guaranteed securities!

What happens when our country defaults, has a depression, and can't guarantee those anymore?
post #5 of 50
The phrase "as much as" specifically implies an instance of said proportion or greater. 3,878 is not "as much as" 4,000.

I don't usually like to argue such semantics, but the headline is misleadingly presenting the notion that Appleinsider has uncovered an additional instance of this scenario (as I have already read this news elsewhere and knew the value to be less than 4k).
post #6 of 50
Guys...It's time someone told you the truth.

PayPal is great...so far. That won't last though. If there is one single site in the world that carries more credit information than PayPal, I don't know about it.

What this means is that the problem is not if...but when...PayPal will become a major target for hackers and it's safety will become permanently compromised, with the loss of millions of $$$ to users throughout the world.

You can pretend what you will. But it is only a matter of time. When you choose to use a site like this one, you are not asking...but rather begging for trouble.

If you use your own card, in a single transaction between you and a single vendor you may still have a problem...but you can be certain that fewer people are actually looking for your CC information that way.
SkyKing
SkyKing
post #7 of 50
I agree, just say no to PayPal and use a real credit card. Not the first time PayPal has been linked to financial faux pas.
post #8 of 50
anonymous currently has a an #oppaypal going- and aside from repeatedly hacking them- they are now taking the legal front and trying to motivate a boycott.

I'd stay away from them... I mean, if I were a client.
post #9 of 50
"The problem seems to lie solely with users who have a PayPal account connected to their iTunes Store account for payments. Some who contacted PayPal said they were told that the multiple charges were made by the iTunes Store, while Apple has insisted to some that the iTunes Store only charged ones."

Once?
post #10 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Multiple PayPal users have been incorrectly charged for purchasing Mac OS X 10.7 Lion from the Mac App Store numerous times, with one user claiming to have received a bill of nearly $4,000 for the $29.99 software.

It would be okay if he also received a complimentary OSX Lion copy on DVD or USB.
post #11 of 50
Another reason not to ever let PayPal have access to your bank account, in fact no payee should ever have direct access.
post #12 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

It would be okay if he also received a complimentary OSX Lion copy on DVD or USB.

First, why does he deserve a free copy of Apple's software just because there was a glitch? It never ceases to amaze me the entitlement some people feel these days.

Secondly, the only way to get a DVD of Lion is to make one yourself. There will never be a Lion DVD for sale from Apple, and the USB version costs twice as much and won't be available for a month or more.
post #13 of 50
I switched my iTunes billing to a virtual credit card number with a tiny credit limit and I've cancelled all Paypal pre approved payments - not just Apple.
post #14 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

First, why does he deserve a free copy of Apple's software just because there was a glitch? It never ceases to amaze me the entitlement some people feel these days.

Secondly, the only way to get a DVD of Lion is to make one yourself. There will never be a Lion DVD for sale from Apple, and the USB version costs twice as much and won't be available for a month or more.

Lighten-up Professor. Need I end everything with </sarcasm>??? The problem is being resolved as best as possible, so just trying to make light of the situation. Sheesh.. too much coffee today????
post #15 of 50
I was charged 12 times on my credit card and I still haven't heard anything from Apple about this. I contacted them on Monday. Time for chargebacks.
post #16 of 50
Quote:

We don't know if that's the only 4k the man had. He should get all of his money back and they(Apple) should work out the deal with pay pal separately.
post #17 of 50
One of the problems is pay pals card provider which is GE financial. THEY SUCK! I refuse to use my paypal CC on any purchase on ebay as paypal has proven in the past, they are not there to help you. If the eBay seller only accepts paypal, they have lost my business. Get rid of your paypal CC!
post #18 of 50
People sure like to make a big deal out of everything. Yes it's bizarre and scary to be charged dozens of times instead of once, but I am 100% certain that between the credit card company (if there was one involved), PayPal, and Apple the person will get all the extra charges rescinded.

I didn't even know you could tie your iTunes account to PayPal.
post #19 of 50
That's what you get for using paypal. People should know better than to use such a sketchy site.
post #20 of 50
Things like this are why I won't sign up for automatic bill-pay.
post #21 of 50
Quote:

'also' received. As in 'as well as'. Probably as a return for the extra couple thousand dollars the punter paid for the OS. This might be a joke of some sort. I don't know.
post #22 of 50
And making one yourself is very easy to do, as the dvd disk image is sitting right inside the .app package.
post #23 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

People sure like to make a big deal out of everything. Yes it's bizarre and scary to be charged dozens of times instead of once, but I am 100% certain that between the credit card company (if there was one involved), PayPal, and Apple the person will get all the extra charges rescinded.

I didn't even know you could tie your iTunes account to PayPal.

One of the (many) big problems with Paypal is that they don't let you use a credit card as the default method of payment. It has to be your bank account. Then if you choose to change it to a CC before you complete the purchase (if you remember to change it), they'll ask you if you really meant to do that, and remind you of all of the wonderful reasons why you should let Paypal directly access your bank account. The one they forget to mention is that they have to pay higher transaction fees when you use a credit card, which is why they refuse to let you make it your default payment option. I wish more places used Google Checkout, or some other service besides Paypal. I don't like using my credit card number on websites, but refuse to use Paypal.

I used to use a Citi card that let me generate disposable, one-time-use numbers for use on the web. I loved it but have since changed to a new card that doesn't have that service.
post #24 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by l008com View Post

That's what you get for using paypal. People should know better than to use such a sketchy site.

You realize that PayPal isn't sketchy at all and this was just a glitch in the system, right?
post #25 of 50
Ah - so thats how Apple were able to make Lion so cheap for the rest of us...
post #26 of 50
No, I don't realize that.
post #27 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

The phrase "as much as" specifically implies an instance of said proportion or greater. 3,878 is not "as much as" 4,000.

I don't usually like to argue such semantics, but the headline is misleadingly presenting the notion that Appleinsider has uncovered an additional instance of this scenario (as I have already read this news elsewhere and knew the value to be less than 4k).

Kinda sounds like some folks are installing 10.7 on more machines than they actually legally own. Who has 100 intel Macs? This presumes the charges correspond to a single charge for each download.

All the same I hope this is fixed pronto. Glad I am waiting for all the early adopters to shake out the bugs. Still I feel bad for those affected.
post #28 of 50
Quote:

No, I don't realize that.

Well... you ought to.

...Because I'm right.
post #29 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You realize that PayPal isn't sketchy at all and this was just a glitch in the system, right?

They may be okay, but there are so many PayPal related scams out there that I stopped using it after one transaction years ago. My credit card company, while not perfect, at least stands behind me when anything sketchy goes down.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #30 of 50
Actually this sorta happened to me in the iOS app store... I bought an app for .99¢ and got charged 6 times but got refunded every time so I'm curious what is going on at the iTunes and PayPal servers?
post #31 of 50
Quote:

Well... you ought to.

...Because I'm right.

Myself and all of the other former paypal users that have been ripped off my paypal on more than one occasion, disagree with you.
post #32 of 50
Quote:

Myself and all of the other former paypal users that have been ripped off my paypal on more than one occasion, disagree with you.

PayPal itself is not sketch. Dealings thereon may be. Which is why you only make protected deals.
post #33 of 50
Paypal says it protects you. Then when you need it, they tell you they can't help you. That is sketch. Plus their fee system is very sketch. The way they have been known to freeze accounts and take your money is sketch. The way they are not a bank and therefor don't have to abide by banking laws, is sketch. I switched everything I have to Google Checkout long ago.... Oh and the way ebay doesn't let you SAY "I accept Google Checkout" in your ebay auction, is SKETCH.
post #34 of 50
Quote:

With PayPal, it is not if you have a problem but when. And when you do, they are impossible to work with.
post #35 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

With PayPal, it is not if you have a problem but when. And when you do, they are impossible to work with.

I could not agree more. Literally, I am not capable of any more agreement.
post #36 of 50
Quote:

I guess "the art of sarcastic humour" is a lost cause nowadays .... unless, of course, you were also trying to be sarcastic .... in which case .....FAIL.
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #37 of 50
AppleInsider is not about reporting news, it is a place for rumors and speculation. This story is so lacking in solid facts it is impossible to make any true evaluation of the validity of the claims, or the source of any problem if it does exist.

That sure has not stopped all the "experts" who visit here from voicing their opinions as if they are fact.

Apple sells computers to anyone, including the clueless.

The only thing missing is some comments from Android fan bois who feel compelled to visit this site focused on products from a company they hate.
post #38 of 50
Quote:

Google how many times Paypal has suspended user accounts with no process for appeals, and then tell us again Paypal isn't sketchy. The most recent example from my memory is the creator of Minecraft. They thought his transactions were fraudulent and just suspended him without so much as looking into the case or contacting him.
post #39 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Multiple PayPal users have been incorrectly charged for purchasing Mac OS X 10.7 Lion from the Mac App Store numerous times, with one user claiming to have received a bill of nearly $4000.

Totally worth it

But seriously if apple got the money, it should refund. If PayPal got the money they should refund. Really a no brained. Maybe ofcourse some hacker got the money, office space type messup.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #40 of 50
My guess is that paypal got the money and is trying to blame apple so they can keep it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › PayPal users mistakenly charged as much as $4,000 for Mac OS X Lion