or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 5 rumored to launch during 2nd week of Sept., iPad 3 reportedly pushed back
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPhone 5 rumored to launch during 2nd week of Sept., iPad 3 reportedly pushed back - Page 2

post #41 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

I think you might be confusing a transition with an introduction. The very definition of transition is a change, as though from one product to another (for example, iPhone 4 to iPhone 5). To introduce an entirely new product line would not fall under the commonly understood meaning of the word "transition".

I think the Prof has it correct. I just don't see them playing word games like transition for a rev of an existing product. It has to have something more than that - they know how flakey they market is with AAPL and playing word games would be shooting them selves in the foot. Both Steve and Tim are way to sharp to even mis-state something with potentially huge AAPL consequences. I'm betting it has to do with the bye-bye to old faithful (white MacBook) and intro of its successor (probably a re alignment of the aAir, MBP, MB lineup to be bait more homogenous while still maintaining the diffs with the Pro versus consumer line.

Just my 2 scents as if anybody gave a sh*t.
post #42 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I think the Prof has it correct. I just don't see them playing word games like transition for a rev of an existing product. It has to have something more than that - they know how flakey they market is with AAPL and playing word games would be shooting them selves in the foot. Both Steve and Tim are way to sharp to even mis-state something with potentially huge AAPL consequences. I'm betting it has to do with the bye-bye to old faithful (white MacBook) and intro of its successor (probably a re alignment of the aAir, MBP, MB lineup to be bait more homogenous while still maintaining the diffs with the Pro versus consumer line.

Just my 2 scents as if anybody gave a sh*t.

It depends on the focus of the term. For example, Apple Store employees recently had to transition their 2010 Mac minis to 2011 Mac minis. This included swapping out the floor models, updating the kioskelle to display the new specs and price points, and learning about the new product offerings.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #43 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

Apple wil never introduce the iPad in that form factor. Even Steve made a remark on that form factor in one of his keynotes when he mentioned a competitor's product.

That's true but Jobs hasn't said anything about the Touch being wrong at 5-7 inches.

You have to understand that there is a fundamental flaw in the fact that while Jobs did say that a 7" form factor is wrong for a tablet, Apple has for quite some time been selling 3.5" devices running more or less the same OS as the iPad.

To me the logical next step would be a 5" device added to the Touch range, i.e. not labelled as iPad Junior bur rather king of the Touch range. In other words, keep the 3.5" Touch and add a larger version as a tweener between the Touch and iPad. I'm thinking $299 for the 8GB model, $369 for the 32GB and $479 for the 64GB.

Such an addition would fill plenty of gaps and give Apple a presence in every niche worth pursuing.

By the way, a new product launch in November? Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha . . .
post #44 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Oct 01 - iPod
Oct 04 - iPod Photo
Oct 05 - iPod 5G

I can't think of any November releases, but a late October release is not unprecedented.

And don't forget the big transition to Unibody construction. The aluminum MacBooks released on Oct 14, 2008.
post #45 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new unverified report suggests that Apple intends to release its next-generation iPhone between Sept. 6 and Sept. 15 with an initial shipment of 4 million units, while suggesting that component shortages may have delayed the release of the next iPad until after this year's Thanksgiving holiday.

The Chinese-language China Times (via MacRumors) reports that suppliers indicate an initial test shipment of 400,000 handsets has been sent to Apple ahead of the rumored September launch. According to the report, Apple plans to launch the so-called iPhone 5 during the second week of September, which the publication notes as Sept. 6 to Sept 15.

The report also claimed that the rumored release of a next-generation iPad later this year is experiencing delays because of component issues. As such, sources told the publication that the device is not expected to be released until late November.

Persistent rumors have suggested that Apple will release another iPad later this year. On Tuesday, anonymous industry sources suggested that Apple has added four Taiwanese integrated circuit makers to its supply chain for the iPad 3. One analyst claimed earlier this month that Apple could introduce an "iPad 2 Plus" with a high-resolution display later this year.

In March, the publication claimed the iPhone 5 will sport an improved antenna, 4-inch screen and NFC e-wallet. It should be noted, however, that the China Times has a mixed track record with Apple predictions.


Baloney.

Last time around it took 60 days, from the first beta of the iOS 4 to the golden master which coincides with the iPhone release announcement. For iOS 5, this will be on August 5. I do not think apple will wait ninety days this time around. This is another cockamamie rumor dreamed up by the WS SHYSTERS.

Double baloney o. The news about the iPad 3. Again another ruse by the SHYSTERS to stymie the onslaught of the iPad 2. The mantra is, why buy now, when next version is along the way. Come the imminent release of the iPad 3, their battle cry will be, no need to buy since the newer version has very little enhancement. It is all about stopping apple.

When it becomes clear apple has dominated the market, the SHYSTERS will run to the cretins in congress and demand that they force apple to license the IOS.
post #46 of 56
What if a new smaller iPad replaces the pod?

What if a new iPhone that gives you the option of activating or not activating for telephone call capabilities replaces iPod?

IMHO, the iPod seems to be an increasingly inferior product, being unable to make calls and shit...
post #47 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by macologist View Post

But, how can any of us even begin to guess what the actual reasons are???? I just hope that there won't be any scandals to steal away from Apple's Media Efforts

The media that covers things like Weinergate is not the same as that which covers tech. And even in the cases where there is overlap, they will cover both because both will get them massive page hits.

In the case of 9/11, few folks really want to be reminded of that event. So they are less likely to click on any articles. But a new Apple product, well they will want to go to those articles if only to post what idiots we are for buying them and we should get a real phone like a Droid
post #48 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

It's still unclear to me why there needs to be two iPad launches in a single year. Other than a subpar camera the specs on the iPad 2 are fine IMO and it's the software that needs to mature (iOS 5) rather than another hardware rollout.

my $.02

And my own 2 cents: I still fail to understand the bruhaha over the iPad 2's camera. Do you really intend to carry around this dinner plate to take photos? At best, the rear-facing camera will be used for video chatting, thus the low res camera is fine. I just don't get the fuss.
post #49 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

And my own 2 cents: I still fail to understand the bruhaha over the iPad 2's camera. Do you really intend to carry around this dinner plate to take photos? At best, the rear-facing camera will be used for video chatting, thus the low res camera is fine. I just don't get the fuss.

I expect Apple to move their front facing cameras to FaceTime HD when they can feasibly add it to their thin HW designs. That's only 1280x720 which isn't even 1Mpx.

I also expect them to upgrade the back camera for the iPad, too, when it's feasible, but I can't imagine that is a focus for a tablet computer. It's like having a laptop with a "quality" camera on the backside of the display lid. Who would really use that for serious snapshots?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #50 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I expect Apple to move their front facing cameras to FaceTime HD when they can feasibly add it to their thin HW designs. That's only 1280x720 which isn't even 1Mpx.

I also expect them to upgrade the back camera for the iPad, too, when it's feasible, but I can't imagine that is a focus for a tablet computer. It's like having a laptop with a "quality" camera on the backside of the display lid. Who would really use that for serious snapshots?

Some upgrades are going to happen simply because in time, components with poorer specs are simply no longer going to be available. For example, Apple couldn't keep the processors in its computers at a lower level even if it wanted to because somewhere along the line Intel simply stops making a particular design.

There is no additional cost in using whatever is current so we'll get progressively more capable cameras on the iPad even though, as is correctly noted, considerable improvements in the cameras are not a priority for end users.
post #51 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Some upgrades are going to happen simply because in time, components with poorer specs are simply no longer going to be available. For example, Apple couldn't keep the processors in its computers at a lower level even if it wanted to because somewhere along the line Intel simply stops making a particular design.

There is no additional cost in using whatever is current so we'll get progressively more capable cameras on the iPad even though, as is correctly noted, considerable improvements in the cameras are not a priority for end users.

That's really only true of the CCD, optics don't have any equivalent of moore's law.
post #52 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Some upgrades are going to happen simply because in time, components with poorer specs are simply no longer going to be available. For example, Apple couldn't keep the processors in its computers at a lower level even if it wanted to because somewhere along the line Intel simply stops making a particular design.

There is no additional cost in using whatever is current so we'll get progressively more capable cameras on the iPad even though, as is correctly noted, considerable improvements in the cameras are not a priority for end users.

It's not just a matter of what's current. It's also a matter of form factor. For instance, Apple deliberately chose a lower quality (cheesier) camera for the iPod touch because it was smaller and would more easily fit into the shrunken form factor of the iPod touch. They could have selected the better camera already being used in the iPhone, but they wanted the iPod to be skinnier. Definitely form over function. That may have also contributed to the choice of camera to install in the iPad 2.
post #53 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

It's not just a matter of what's current. It's also a matter of form factor. For instance, Apple deliberately chose a lower quality (cheesier) camera for the iPod touch because it was smaller and would more easily fit into the shrunken form factor of the iPod touch. They could have selected the better camera already being used in the iPhone, but they wanted the iPod to be skinnier. Definitely form over function. That may have also contributed to the choice of camera to install in the iPad 2.

You say they could have used the same camera as in the iPhone but they note they couldn't use it in the much thinner iPod Touch. That's like saying the iPhone could have used the same lens in a much larger camera providing they made the device thicker to accommodate it. Form is a major function of a portable device, it is not happenstance.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #54 of 56
I hope to see increased storage and memory in a new iPhone this fall. Without that, I am having a hard time seeing a reason to upgrade from iP4, which is easily the best phone I've ever used.
post #55 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

I hope to see increased storage and memory in a new iPhone this fall. Without that, I am having a hard time seeing a reason to upgrade from iP4, which is easily the best phone I've ever used.

Agreed! I'm thinking it won't be a problem for me to wait for iPhone 6 to be released next summer or fall. Of course, considering I'm on a 2 year subsidy freeze until next summer anyway...

"iOS 5 is the best phone we've ever made..." - Phil Schiller - Special Event September 12, 2012

Reply

"iOS 5 is the best phone we've ever made..." - Phil Schiller - Special Event September 12, 2012

Reply
post #56 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

I hope to see increased storage and memory in a new iPhone this fall. Without that, I am having a hard time seeing a reason to upgrade from iP4, which is easily the best phone I've ever used.

Waiting an extra month for a White iP4 has cost me a $250 early upgrade fee at launch or wait until Christmas (literally). So it's gonna be all about the camera - 8MegaPixels 1080P would probably convince me - and dual core A5 plus would like 64GB storage and 128GB in the iPTouch, I don't know how soon we'll be getting 4LTE service in Santa Cruz - separated from Santa Clara County's 4LTE service area by a big mountain range - so waiting for iP6 might be a vain exercise in patience with no payoff. I'll probably be in an Apple Store December 26th to become an early laggard adopter.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's iPhone 5 rumored to launch during 2nd week of Sept., iPad 3 reportedly pushed back
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 5 rumored to launch during 2nd week of Sept., iPad 3 reportedly pushed back