or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Lion Bugs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lion Bugs

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
Hi there. Well I've upgraded to Lion and even though it's pretty good and lots of great features, there are some really basic bugs and problems that I can't believe haven't been ironed out before it was released.

OK here's a few bugs, observations and comments:

1. Where is the option to set the mouse double-tap sensitivity speed gone? before you could set it and now it's nowhere to be seen

2. Mail - I love the new mail but there are quite a few bugs and issues:
i) The number of items flagged is often displayed incorrectly until I expand the list in the sidebar and click on the colours - it then updates the number correctly
ii) The mail status window at the bottom shows the status text incorrectly all the time - i.e. it doesn't clear the old text, just re-writes over it - looks a mess
iii) if I mail an attachment from within Pages (e.g. share to PDF and attach to mail) - I can send the email but the open mail window never closes. It lets you just keep clicking send and it sends it again and again. The window stays open and never closes
iv) Where's the option to add a POP account? for some crazy reason I couldn't connect to the Yahoo POP SMTP server all of a sudden (incoming was OK) so I re-added my account (I just pull the mails off the server and store them in local folders on my Mac). When I entered my email address it defaults to an IMAP account and tries to sync all the crap I have in my old Yahoo folders, as well as the crazy names of all the spam and trash folders. I hate IMAP even though I know it'd be more convenient to have everything synced between webmail and my Mac, I just prefer POP. Eventually I just had to go in and edit the settings in the account preferences, but why does it default to IMAP?
v) Notes - when you create a new note, it says "this note has no content" until you select another folder and then back to the notes.
vi) lots of other small weird things that you would expect would have been solved a long time ago.

3. Pages - when in full screen mode, when you swipe to the space, the screen flickers momentarily - not all the time but very often.

4. I'm not keen on the All my files view, but I could get used to it I guess. As one poster suggested, I've changed the default to my home folder

5. Any Flash content seems to take my CPU to around 40% usage and eat up loads of memory. I'm sue amy Mac is hotter than it was but it could be my imagination. I used a small utility to measure the temperature since last week and it rarely goes below 60 degrees. Is this normal?

6. Preview - when you preview a file using the preview app and then close it, next time you open it you have all the previously previewed windows open as well, which is kind of annoying. Can't work out whether you're supposed to close the window, or close this PDF document or whatever first. But the behaviour is somewhat different to the old preview which would just preview ONE file at a time (I thought). Well, I guess it takes some getting used to.

7. Reverse 'natural' scrolling - actually now I prefer it but it's a bit weird on Google maps and other applications. You just have to think slightly differently but it's now second nature using to scroll on web pages etc.

I'm not really sure where to send bug reports to Apple - sure Safari has a bug reports menu item but I can't find anything similar in other apps, Whenever I try and go to the Apple support forums, half the time I can;t view the topics. It could be due to my ISP I guess (I'm based in Thailand, where the internet is not all that hot sometimes).

Other than these and a dozen other issues, I do think Lion is great but really hope they fix a few issues in the next update.
post #2 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roly View Post

1. Where is the option to set the mouse double-tap sensitivity speed gone? before you could set it and now it's nowhere to be seen

Right where it has always been...



Quote:
5. Any Flash content seems to take my CPU to around 40% usage and eat up loads of memory. I'm sue amy Mac is hotter than it was but it could be my imagination. I used a small utility to measure the temperature since last week and it rarely goes below 60 degrees. Is this normal?

Yes, it's normal. It's Flash. How is this at all a problem with Lion. Get the Flash 11 beta and stop viewing Flash content.

Quote:
6. Preview - when you preview a file using the preview app and then close it, next time you open it you have all the previously previewed windows open as well

It's called Resume. It's system-wide. For heaven's sake. You can also turn it off.

Quote:
7. Reverse 'natural' scrolling - actually now I prefer it but it's a bit weird on Google maps and other applications. You just have to think slightly differently but it's now second nature using to scroll on web pages etc.

Can be reversed. Has always been able to be reversed.

Quote:
I'm not really sure where to send bug reports to Apple

For your Pages bug. For your Mail bug.

Quote:
really hope they fix a few issues in the next update.

The rest either aren't issues or they're not Apple's responsibility.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #3 of 23
Thread Starter 
Sorry I meant the double-tap speed when using the trackpad. I'm certain there was an option there previously in SL.

Resume - yes I know it's system wide and for the most part is very useful. I'm just not sure I like that functionality in the preview app that's all. I'll get used to it.

I prefer the new scrolling, and I'm not saying that I'd like to revert back to the old method. It would however be quite useful to have an option to temporarily enable the old-school scrolling to use with such things as Google maps, where the behaviour now seems a little weird. But as you point out it's not an Apple issue, no.

Thanks for the links, I will indeed post those issues there. I'm just a little surprised that such minor bugs are still present. I have a fairly standard setup with a 2010 Macbook Pro 13" and haven't installed many third party applications, so I expect my issues are also applicable to most other users. I used to work for a software company and I really hate to see even minor issues be released with commercial software, but they're only minor issues granted :-)
post #4 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roly View Post

Sorry I meant the double-tap speed when using the trackpad. I'm certain there was an option there previously in SL.

Er...



OH SPEED.

Maybe... modify the mouse's preference and the Trackpad will follow...?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #5 of 23
I've found a few, as has this guy.

There has been some interface weirdness at times...windows that won't select or scroll at times. The other issues are with apps. The Twitter official app seems to hang at times (won't scroll/update). This is fixed by relaunching. There are few Office 2011 bugs detailed here.

There are few things that are not bugs, but preferences.
  • I don't think I like the new grey and the lack of color in the sidebar/finder.
  • I'm not sure I like how Mission Control groups the windows by app, stacking them behind each other. It makes finding apps easier, but windows harder.
  • I find the new iCal skin and interface annoying. The skin can be changed back to chrome, but the colors are lighter and harder to read. Also, while I like swiping to change the month, I don't like the "button way" of doing it (top right corner)
  • I like the new mail interface. I'm annoyed that I can't change the message list font in the new view (only applies to the old view).
  • Full screen apps: not sure yet. It can be useful in Safari, but I'm still getting used to it.
  • Launchpad: Honestly, I find it useless at this point. I may change my mind when I get to grouping things into folders.

Just a partial list for now.


Overall, I really like Lion. It's noticeably faster than Snow Leopard for me...particularly with Safari. I won't use many of the new features, but
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #6 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Er...



OH SPEED.

Maybe... modify the mouse's preference and the Trackpad will follow...?

Yes that's a good idea but unfortunately it's not possible to change the mouse's preferences without setting up a mouse first, which I don't have. But anyway it's no big deal :-)
post #7 of 23
Is anyone else getting the bug where if you hit CMD+i in Safari it opens up Mail with a new message with the Safari content?

EDIT: HAHA OK I finally found what I was doing wrong. In Safari click on View and look at the shortcut for Hide Toolbar.
post #8 of 23
Hmm... Battery went through quite quickly this evening. About 3 hours from 100% to 20%. I was mainly just browsing using Safari... Although I was also running VMWare Fusion and Windows 7 (just some virus scanning).
post #9 of 23
Some bugs in Lion I encountered so far:

- Spotlight is reindexing my hard drive after every reboot. Manually deleting the indexes using Cocktail LE and completely rebuilding them from scratch did not help.

- Time Machine is horrendously slow. Took more than an hour just 'preparing backup' and now it's copying data to my external FW800 hard drive at an absolutely ridiculous speed of approximately 34 KB/s. Yikes. (This issue is probably related to the previous one.)

- Even with Resume turned off, some applications (like Preview, Safari and Pages) restore opened windows and documents after restart.

- Safari is consuming every single MB of free RAM (and I only recently upgraded my MBP to 8 GB)...

- Every single time I open any file downloaded from internet or received via email, I see security warnings. This is extremely annoying. Screenshot

- Sometimes my sound stops working and the volume icon in the menu bar becomes greyed out. I have to kill coreaudiod to get my sound back.

- Wi-Fi is very flaky, it tries to reconnect every 5 minutes... And the router is located just above my desk!

- There is a strange phantom user account without a username. It pops out in various parts of the system (such as Sharing or fast user switching menu) but not in the Users & Groups preference pane. Screenshot

- Mission Control is very buggy. Screenshot

- Embedded cover art is not displayed in Finder.

- For the first time ever my Mac has trouble sleeping. Often it awakes just some minutes after I put it to sleep. It means that if I want to bring my laptop with me, I have to completely turn it off because otherwise it will fry itself in my bag.

If this is not alpha quality software, I don't know what is.
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratokaster View Post

- Safari is consuming every single MB of free RAM (and I only recently upgraded my MBP to 8 GB)...

Safari has been doing that since Leopard or earlier.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Safari has been doing that since Leopard or earlier.

Except that it has never been as bad as in Lion. I used Safari as my main browser in Leopard and Snow Leopard and never had a problem. I still use it because it's the only browser that can correctly work with multiple OS X keychains (yes, I'm a bit paranoid), but I really hope they fix it soon.
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratokaster View Post

Some bugs in Lion I encountered so far:

- Spotlight is reindexing my hard drive after every reboot. Manually deleting the indexes using Cocktail LE and completely rebuilding them from scratch did not help.

- Time Machine is horrendously slow. Took more than an hour just 'preparing backup' and now it's copying data to my external FW800 hard drive at an absolutely ridiculous speed of approximately 34 KB/s. Yikes. (This issue is probably related to the previous one.)

- Even with Resume turned off, some applications (like Preview, Safari and Pages) restore opened windows and documents after restart.

- Safari is consuming every single MB of free RAM (and I only recently upgraded my MBP to 8 GB)...

- Every single time I open any file downloaded from internet or received via email, I see security warnings. This is extremely annoying. Screenshot

- Sometimes my sound stops working and the volume icon in the menu bar becomes greyed out. I have to kill coreaudiod to get my sound back.

- Wi-Fi is very flaky, it tries to reconnect every 5 minutes... And the router is located just above my desk!

- There is a strange phantom user account without a username. It pops out in various parts of the system (such as Sharing or fast user switching menu) but not in the Users & Groups preference pane. Screenshot

- Mission Control is very buggy. Screenshot

- Embedded cover art is not displayed in Finder.

- For the first time ever my Mac has trouble sleeping. Often it awakes just some minutes after I put it to sleep. It means that if I want to bring my laptop with me, I have to completely turn it off because otherwise it will fry itself in my bag.

If this is not alpha quality software, I don't know what is.

Wow. That's quite buggy. Honestly maybe I lucked out I haven't encountered much of the above. Some quirks but nothing as major as you've had. And mine was a straight upgrade from Snow Leopard not a reinstall. But from a DMG "burnt" to a USB stick.
post #13 of 23
Just experienced a major lockup. Was downloading something in Firefox in VMWare Fusion. Then everything got majorly laggy. Like a minute for any Mac window to respond. Force-quit VMWare Fusion, problem persisted.

Just pressed and held down the power button. Started up again.
post #14 of 23
All in all I've been quite happy with Lion. I'll add a couple of disappointing things though: Boot time (although I never reboot unless I have to) seems to be quite long. I haven't done any timings, but it is really noticeable. Shutting the lid of my 2010 MBP and putting it to sleep takes about a minute now when before it used to take about 10-15 seconds. Unfortunately I do that a lot.
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus22 View Post

iTunes 10.5 opening problem
Safari 5.1 opening every single Tab
OS X Lion hanging with App Store
App Store is slow
Wi-Fi Connection problem
Lion Randomly Crashes
AirPort Connection problem

This is the long list of Problem which OS X Lion users Facing, all the above bugs comes out very common, if trying all the above things Im sure you also face same thing with your OS X Lion system. We are trying to get solution for that and hope Apple will do for this OS X Lion Bugs List.

Maybe YOU are having these problems, but I'm having none of those you mention above. The only "problems" I'm having are slower boot times and slower to sleep time.
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Maybe YOU are having these problems, but I'm having none of those you mention above. The only "problems" I'm having are slower boot times and slower to sleep time.

He's a spambot. Just report him.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Hmm... Battery went through quite quickly this evening. About 3 hours from 100% to 20%. I was mainly just browsing using Safari... Although I was also running VMWare Fusion and Windows 7 (just some virus scanning).

I'm fairly sure my two year old MBP is losing battery life like an aging athlete. A few hours at best. I don't think this is Lion, though.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #18 of 23
I seem to have encountered a Mail bug today. After receiving say, 20 emails, my message count bubble was "112." It stays around that figure despite there being only a few unread messages. After I read the most recent message, the bubble disappears. I'm wondering if this has to do with message/conversation threading, or if it just takes a moment to realize earlier mails have been read.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I'm fairly sure my two year old MBP is losing battery life like an aging athlete. A few hours at best. I don't think this is Lion, though.

Interesting... Anyways without turning on VMWare Fusion everything is peachy on my MBP 13".
post #20 of 23
Bug (or Feature)... iCal still doesn't allow you to delete those bl&&dy Outlook invitations without sending out an email that you "Declined". Some companies are so desperately dependent on Outlook for scheduling they take everything you click in iCal on "Accept" or "Decline" so seriously. Annoying.
post #21 of 23
I've read all the forums here that I could find regarding Lion bugs, etc, without finding any that address the problems I'm having. Hopefully, somebody here can help out. All these issues have come up since I installed Lion.

1. All the following gestures (collectively, not individually) simply stop working at random times. I don't recall doing anything in particular just prior to them failing to work properly. As far as I can tell, it's a random occurrence. The mouse/trackpad cursor still works fine (moves, clicks, etc) and the battery level is fine, but the following multi-touch gestures will not function.
--- Swipe between full-screen apps
--- Swipe up for Mission Control
--- Swipe down for App Expose
--- Pinch for Launchpad
--- Reverse-pinch (not sure what else to call it) for Desktop

2. Tabs in Safari. The little close buttons on each tab sometimes don't appear, or they only do when I'm not mousing near them. I have been able to make it work by clicking to another tab, then back to the one I want to close, but that's a pain and most likely isn't how it's supposed to work.

Thanks in advance for any useful suggestions.
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaerik View Post

I've read all the forums here that I could find regarding Lion bugs, etc, without finding any that address the problems I'm having. Hopefully, somebody here can help out. All these issues have come up since I installed Lion.

1. All the following gestures (collectively, not individually) simply stop working at random times. I don't recall doing anything in particular just prior to them failing to work properly. As far as I can tell, it's a random occurrence. The mouse/trackpad cursor still works fine (moves, clicks, etc) and the battery level is fine, but the following multi-touch gestures will not function.
--- Swipe between full-screen apps
--- Swipe up for Mission Control
--- Swipe down for App Expose
--- Pinch for Launchpad
--- Reverse-pinch (not sure what else to call it) for Desktop

2. Tabs in Safari. The little close buttons on each tab sometimes don't appear, or they only do when I'm not mousing near them. I have been able to make it work by clicking to another tab, then back to the one I want to close, but that's a pain and most likely isn't how it's supposed to work.

Thanks in advance for any useful suggestions.

Number 1 could be a hardware issue. If your trackpad is somehow not functioning as it should you could get weird random gesture problems. That said, the Pinch and UnPinch for LaunchPad is very tough to pull off. I think they need to change it.

Number 2 happens to me as well, but not that frequently. Once in a while.
post #23 of 23
In the past when I bought a new Apple I always first thing formatted the hard drive and did a clean install then 90% of the bugs was gone as the cloned and dumped on the new laptops / Imacs default versions usually was done on another machine with different settings and this interfered with optimal new Apple laptop / Imac performance.

It is old school but maybe it will fix some bugs for you guys.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Lion Bugs