post #81 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

I know "poor" people who were born into "poor" families.
I know "poor" people who were born into "rich" families.

I know "rich" people who were born into "poor" families.
I know "rich" people who were born into "rich" families.

The starting position is fairly irrelevant. It is the mindset that dictates success.

Bull.

Your anecdotal story of knowing people who have gone either side does not make it standard. I hear this *all* the time from Fox News and being quoted in this forum. 99% of welfare recipients are in strong need. But someone will put out a random individual edge case and use it to try apply to the entire batch: "LOOK AT THIS PERSON! THEY SPENT $800 ON LOBSTER!" Therefore, all welfare recipients are lame.

But that's not how it works. Less than 1% (ONE PERCENT) of those who are born into families on the poverty line make it out of living their lives in poverty. Less than 0.02% (ZERO POINT ZERO TWO PERCENT) of those same people become classified as "wealthy."

I mean, mindset is great, and Americans all love rags to riches stories, but claiming that all these "poor people" need to do is change their mindset to be "rich" is utter crap. They have to fight their entire lives, and then they get people like yourself quoting studies showing how "well off" they have it because they have refrigerators, microwaves, and ceiling fans, or that poor people in America have more living space than middle class Europeans. (Which is a total nonsequitor : rich people in Manhattan have way less living space than poor people in Texas... Europeans value location more than space, so it's a total apples-to-oranges argument).

I simply don't understand this war on poverty from the right.