or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › First Windows Phone 7 'Mango' handsets rumored to challenge iPhone 5 in Sept.

First Windows Phone 7 'Mango' handsets rumored to challenge iPhone 5 in Sept.

post #1 of 49
On the heels of news that Microsoft's "Mango" update for Windows Phone 7 has been released to manufacturing, industry sources claim HTC, Samsung and LG will launch the first Mango-based smartphones in September, presumably coordinated to directly compete with Apple's next-generation iPhone.

Sources told Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes that handset vendors plan to launch their new Mango devices in September, even as Apple is expected to release the iPhone 5 during the same timeframe. For its part, the Redmond, Wash., software giant announced earlier this week that it had sent Mango to handset and carrier partners on schedule for a fall release.

Acer, ZTE And Fujitsu Toshiba have also recently shown off Mango phones that are expected to arrive this fall. For instance, the report notes that Fujitsu Toshiba is working with Japanese carrier KDDI to bring to market the IS12T, which features a "Qualcomm MSM 8655 processor, 3.7-inch touch screen and 13.2-megapixel camera."

Insiders noted that HTC is expected to release "a number of Mango phones, powered by Qualcomm 1.5GHz single-core CPUs with display sizes ranging from 3.8- to 4.7-inch."

Meanwhile, Nokia, arguably the vendor most committed to Windows Phone 7, will reportedly unveil its first batch of Mango devices at Nokia World 2011 in October. According to the report, sources implied that the Finnish handset maker's strategy may be to release its first Windows Phone 7 handsets "at a time when fellow vendors have already heated up the market for Mango phones."

Nokia CEO Stephen Elop said last month that he has "increased confidence" that the company will launch its first Windows-based device later this year and begin to ship in volume next year. 2011 and 2012 are to be "transition years" for the company, which for years reigned the global smartphone market until Apple's iPhone displaced it last quarter.

Microsoft first showed off Mango in May, touting "more than 500 new features."

Notable additions to Windows Phone 7 Mango include Conversation View for emails and threaded conversations that bring together text, instant message and Facebook chat all into one conversation. The update will also introduce app multitasking and Internet Explorer 9, with support for new HTML 5 web sites.

Though recent data from Nielsen shows Microsoft has held onto just a 9 percent share of the U.S. smartphone operating system market, the Windows maker is betting that its stable of partners will provide the momentum needed to challenge the iPhone and Android when Mango arrives this fall.

Several recent rumors have pegged the iPhone 5 for a September launch. On Wednesday, the China Times claimed that suppliers have said Apple will release a next-generation iPhone during the second week of September. Also, AT&T is reportedly preparing for a mid-Sept. launch.

The new handset is said to be thinner and lighter, with the A5 processor and an 8-megapixel camera. Recently discovered photos also suggest that Apple is working on a cheaper, lighter and faster revision of the iPhone 4 that could become the company's entry-level model alongside the fifth-generation iPhone.
post #2 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though recent data from Nielsen shows Microsoft has held onto just a 9 percent share of the U.S. smartphone operating system market, the Windows maker is betting that its stable of partners will provide the momentum needed to challenge the iPhone and Android when Mango arrives this fall.

worse it's mostly old win-mo handsets. WP7 is more like 1%
post #3 of 49
They won't be challenging the iPhone. That's a losing battle. It'll be against Android.
post #4 of 49
Mango will get slaughtered by the iPhone.
post #5 of 49
Game on.
post #6 of 49
Zzzzzz... Nothing to see here folks, move along. As a poster mentioned Android is doing all the challenging to iOS, not WP7.
post #7 of 49
Microsoft suuuuuuuuuuckkkksssssaaaa!!!!! Mango's are for eating!!!!!
An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #8 of 49
I think micrsloft is awesome.
An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #9 of 49
I predict that in 2 years Apple will have lost a couple of percent to WP7 and Android will have lost 10 percent or more to WP7.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #10 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I love microsloft

I don't love Microsoft but Mango is starting to grow on me.
post #11 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by kresh View Post

From all the times you've used it, probably.

Good luck to Microsoft. I'm sure investors will love hearing why Microsoft decided it was a good idea to launch against the most anticipated phone year in and year out.
post #12 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

Good luck to Microsoft. I'm sure investors will love hearing why Microsoft decided it was a good idea to launch against the most anticipated phone year in and year out.

Just one of the many ways in which microsoft has managed to totally screw up the marketing of WP7.
post #13 of 49
Apple must be terrified. What ever will they do??
post #14 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

the investors have a better idea;

post #15 of 49
i hope it comes in the brown color
post #16 of 49
Not Microsoft but Microsloft. Slofs are cute. I think they eat mangos.

Quote:

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #17 of 49
Quote:

the investors have a better idea;

...Okay.

And while the investors daydream about peeing on Apple, Apple continues to eat Microsoft's lunch and take a massive dump on their heads.

Bathroom humor is the fun.
post #18 of 49
If this turns out like everything else MSFT has done the only challenge is going to be Microsofts Steve Balmer trying to find another job.
post #19 of 49
I think the company in the MS crosshairs is not Apple, but RIM.

There are squillions of corporate types who need cheap messaging devices, often QWERTY, that hook up to Exchange without the cost and complexity of BES.

Nokia is an ideal handset partner in this space and, unlike Apple, MS owns the whole enterprise messaging ecosystem.
post #20 of 49
At least Microsoft is kinda starting anew.

Just got the message on my PC during BIOS startup:
No Keyboard Detected. Press F1 To Resume

Windows Phone could have said:
No Signal Detected. Call 1800-WP7 To Activate
post #21 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Not for nothing, but MS didn't write the BIOS on your PC's motherboard.
post #22 of 49
Microsoft can polish the turd known as Windows Mobile/Windows Phone/whatever they call it this week, and it is still a turd. Horrible UI, no apps, no ecosystem, terrible Zune service, forced integration with the terrible BING search, etc....

Microsoft should just stuck to what they know...how to maintain their illegally obtained Windows and Office monopolies and stop pissing away shareholders money on money sinks.
post #23 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

presumably coordinated to directly compete with Apple's next-generation iPhone.

More likely coordinated to be availible as a present for the holidays, and coordinated to when that actually finished writing it. After all it was announced in January a long time before there was anything certain about iPhone 5.

Obvioulsy most people on here prefer iPhones, this is an Apple site after all. But what do you think of WP7 compared to Android?

Personally when I was looking at Android phones the other week, most of them looked a bit rubbish but as most of them were also very cheap I kind of understand why there selling so well.
post #24 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphyjazz View Post

Not for nothing, but MS didn't write the BIOS on your PC's motherboard.

I though MS / Bill Gates wrote MS-DOS - the Operating System of the first Intel based PCs - that is not the same as BIOS - sure they had to have BIOS and it was the reverse engineering of the BIOS that allowed the PC clone market to erupt all over the technology landscape wreaking the havoc that has reigned through the land since.

Not quite sure about in the beginning - but nowadays I think American Megatrends and Phoenix Software Associates have an awful lot of THAT market tied up.
post #25 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

They won't be challenging the iPhone. That's a losing battle. It'll be against Android.

I agree. All 'Mangle' will do is further fragment the Apple haters share.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #26 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Or as they get cloned and ripped off ... "Detected another device in use with the same licensed number. Shutting down.

BTW are they shipping a bown version?
post #27 of 49
Quote:

I don't think even your master is gonna pull this one off (see his info) i.e., pull MS butt from the fiery hell of the phone wars. As far you signature line, that makes you sound like a basher. If you have some reasonable comments to make or share about what you think is cool about mango go for it, if not your just here as a heckler.

Best wishes. Peace.
post #28 of 49
I can't wait to see monkey boy do the mango dance.

Mango, Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango.,M ango, Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Ma ngo, Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango…

Take it away Ballmer!

Edit: after my previous post I guess I sound just a wee bit hypocritical. But hey I didn't say I was perfect.
post #29 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanleopard View Post

I think the company in the MS crosshairs is not Apple, but RIM.

There are squillions of corporate types who need cheap messaging devices, often QWERTY, that hook up to Exchange without the cost and complexity of BES.

Nokia is an ideal handset partner in this space and, unlike Apple, MS owns the whole enterprise messaging ecosystem.

Interestingly we know that this is not the case, because Microsoft have told us. For a while now they've been talking about the consumerization of IT and specifically smartphones. Even Redmond is saying that people want nice consumer smartphones that integrate enterprise functionality, rather than clunky enterprise smartphones that they have to carry around in addition to their main phone.

This is why so many shops are rolling out Good.

Microsoft, far from fighting against consumerization is rolling with the trend, so we have to assume that their hope for WP7 is squarely with the consumer market.

There's even a microsoft document on smartphone consumerization
post #30 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Mango, Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango.,M ango, Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Ma ngo, Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango

Take it away Ballmer!

Edit: after my previous post I guess I sound just a wee bit hypocritical. But hey I didn't say I was perfect.

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #31 of 49
This is a non-event. Windows 7 phones will not be challenging Apple. The only platform that has shown it's remotely capable of that is Android.
post #32 of 49
Come on guys...a little competition is good. I personally own an Android and an iPhone 4. I like them both in their own ways. As a MS developer by day, I think it's great that I could leverage my C# skills to quickly port existing code over to WP7. I'd imagine there's great value in this for the enterprise. I'm not sure where the dev platform is at now for WP7 but when it was demoed to me last fall, it was a POS. It didn't even have any sort of SQL support. I hoped that has changed now. And it was up to the dev to emulate multitasking through a concept called 'tombstoning'. YIKES!
post #33 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

But what do you think of WP7 compared to Android?

Looking at 'Mango' I'd put Windows Phone ahead of anything else in the "not an iPhone" group.

However one of the WPx problems that is bugging me at the moment is how long Microsoft's development cycle is.

The huge number of improvements included in a 12 month major release cycle make for good news stories, but it's not very friendly to consumers.

It's not a great feeling when you think about buying a brand new 'Mango' phone for Christmas 2011, and then not having the next major release with cool new stuff to play with until Christmas 2012.

Things like Skype integration (messaging, chat, VOIP, video), consolidation of various cloud (Live Mesh/Skydrive) and media (Zune, Xbox Live) properties, deeper integration with Xbox Live (chat/video etc)... these are things we won't see from Microsoft until the end of 2012 if they stick with the 12 month release cycles.
post #34 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Obvioulsy most people on here prefer iPhones, this is an Apple site after all. But what do you think of WP7 compared to Android?

Personally when I was looking at Android phones the other week, most of them looked a bit rubbish but as most of them were also very cheap I kind of understand why there selling so well.

I think the hardware will be very similar (I think WP7 has three buttons whilst Android phones have four) so if you think the Android phones look a bit rubbish then you'll probably think the same about WP7 phones.
post #35 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Mango, Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,
Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,
WINDOWS! WINDOWS!
Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango, Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,Mango,
Argh Apple, Apple oh no it's an Apple!
Take it away Ballmer!

Fixed
post #36 of 49
For someone who famously dismissed the iPhone in 2007 for their Windows Mobile OS, Steve Ballmer sure is trying hard to out-iPhone the iPhone

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #37 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

I though MS / Bill Gates wrote MS-DOS - the Operating System of the first Intel based PCs - that is not the same as BIOS - sure they had to have BIOS and it was the reverse engineering of the BIOS that allowed the PC clone market to erupt all over the technology landscape wreaking the havoc that has reigned through the land since.

Not quite sure about in the beginning - but nowadays I think American Megatrends and Phoenix Software Associates have an awful lot of THAT market tied up.

Bill Gates didn't write MS-DOS. He bought what became MS-DOS, QDOS from Tim Paterson, which was in fact a re-write/update of Gary Killdall's CP/M. Paterson went to work for Microsoft a couple of years later.
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
post #38 of 49
...reclaiming marketshare lost to Android, second priority is going after RIM and Apple. However, if RIM doesn't restore their leadership in the market, it may only be Apple that Microsoft focusses on. M/soft would like to see fewer of the BES in corporate data center between handhelds and their Exchange servers, so RIM may remain targeted for some time in spite of declining share.
post #39 of 49
Now, now, everyone. Ballmer's an older and wiser man than he was during the Monkey Boy routine.

Emphasis on the older. He has to watch what he eats now, so he'll have a much classier performance to put on. Something like this:

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #40 of 49
I think the UI design of Windows Phone 7 is a dead end.

Talking from a visceral level, WP7 is visually asymmetric (and specifically along the vertical axis), and we do not like asymmetry. There's just something inherently ugly about how the phone UI is laid out. The information design of the WP7 is information scarce. The home screen has something like 8 tiles, with many of them of mono-color with basically a number indicating the number of new things for the service associated with the tile.

The animation performance of WP7 appears very good, iOS good, so the guts of it appear well designed. But I think the UI design is uninspiring and makes it hard to advertise the product well.

So, I don't think consumers will voluntarily flock to WP7. There maybe a lot of handsets out there through the machinations of carriers and the OEMs, but I don't it will ever take off until MS redesigns the UI.

So, easy call. iPhone 5 w/iOS 5 will utterly destroy WP7-Mango handsets.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • First Windows Phone 7 'Mango' handsets rumored to challenge iPhone 5 in Sept.
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › First Windows Phone 7 'Mango' handsets rumored to challenge iPhone 5 in Sept.