or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple opening new LA area retail store 600 feet from existing outlet
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple opening new LA area retail store 600 feet from existing outlet

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
Thanks to a favorable leasing deal, Apple has decided to open a new retail store in "The Americana at Brand," a retail development just 600 feet from the company's existing Glendale Galleria store.

Tomorrow's grand opening at the new location will create the two closest Apple Stores, but deliver a welcomed relief to the regularly packed Glendale, California store at the Galleria, which was the company's second outpost to open in 2001, according to ifoAppleStore.

There are 19 other Apple Stores in the greater Los Angeles area, including a Pasadena store just 7 miles away from the twin Glendale locations. Los Angeles itself boasts three other stores within about three miles, stretching from Century City to stores in Beverly Center and the Grove.

The new Americana store, which opens tomorrow at 10 am, will be Apple's 239th US store and the 332nd location to open internationally. At 14,000 square feet, the store will be among the company's largest. Most stores range from 3,000 to 6,000 square feet, with the largest being 20,000.



Apple has consistently planned to open stores where it has the most customers and most potential for growth, not simply picking arbitrary locations across the map to cover territory. This has resulted in heavy concentrations of stores in urban areas with significant tourism, with Las Vegas, New York City, Honolulu and San Francisco each having three stores within their boundaries.

The very appearance of an Apple retail store creates traffic and demand that has historically generated a need for addition stores within the same area. Apple is therefore planning a fourth store in Manhattan located within Grand Central Terminal, and has closely located stores in the proximity of Silicon Valley, where Palo Alto and Stanford currently claim the title for closest stores, being located just 3,738 feet apart.

When Apple's chief executive Steve Jobs approached the Cupertino, California city council about building his new vision for a futuristic corporate headquarters there, he rebuffed attempts to cajole his company into opening a retail store within the town as well.

The company's new headquarters would be located less than five miles away from the existing Valley Fair Apple Store in Santa Clara, less than ten miles away from the Los Gatos store to the south, about 11 miles west of the Oakridge store in San Jose, and about 15 miles east of the two stores located in Palo Alto.
post #2 of 24
They're building an Apple store 600 feet away from an existing one, and I still have to drive an hour to get to an Apple store from where I am in NJ. \ Hopefully one of those dozens of upcoming new stores will land somewhere in my vicinity.
post #3 of 24
It should be noted that while the Glendale Galleria store was the second to open, it is technically Apple's flagship store (and is even numbered internally as store #1). It was only second to open because the Virginia store (Apple Store #2) is on the East coast, thus giving it a 3 hour time zone head start).
post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweben View Post

They're building an Apple store 600 feet away from an existing one, and I still have to drive an hour to get to an Apple store from where I am in NJ. \ Hopefully one of those dozens of upcoming new stores will land somewhere in my vicinity.

I have to walk literally hundreds of yards to the two stores near me

Clearly they need to open another store in London.
post #5 of 24
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The very appearance of an Apple retail store creates traffic and demand that has historically generated a need for addition stores within the same area. Apple is therefore planning a fourth store in Manhattan located within Grand Central Terminal, and has closely located stores in the proximity of Silicon Valley, where Palo Alto and Stanford currently claim the title for closest stores, being located just 3,738 feet apart.

It should be noted that the Stanford shop isn't a full Apple Store; they do not carry the full product line. It's a very small space and they won't have much room, so they end up focusing on the iDevices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

When Apple's chief executive Steve Jobs approached the Cupertino, California city council about building his new vision for a futuristic corporate headquarters there, he rebuffed attempts to cajole his company into opening a retail store within the town as well.

That makes sense. Cupertino isn't a destination town. If Apple really wanted to build another store near the headquarters, Santana Row would be the most likely retail area.
post #7 of 24
I think there are fake Apple Stores in China that are quite close to each other. It may be the flagship fake store.
post #8 of 24
These are rival malls across the street from each other. One big and old, the other is new and upscale. The Glendale Galleria Apple store might be the first Apple store to close, either after the holidays or at the end of their Lease.
Cubist
Reply
Cubist
Reply
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbowood View Post

It should be noted that while the Glendale Galleria store was the second to open, it is technically Apple's flagship store (and is even numbered internally as store #1). It was only second to open because the Virginia store (Apple Store #2) is on the East coast, thus giving it a 3 hour time zone head start).

Of course the original store was the company store at 1 infinite loop which opened about about 15 years before the others.
post #10 of 24
New York currently has 4 Apple stores. Grand Central will be the fifth.

http://www.apple.com/retail/locator/...20York%2C%20NY
post #11 of 24
That's getting close to the end of the world. Great for Alzheimer's patients. This way, they can leave one Apple store, forget where they were, and go to another Apple store straight away.
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankohn View Post

New York currently has 4 Apple stores. Grand Central will be the fifth.

http://www.apple.com/retail/locator/...20York%2C%20NY

Staten Island has a store = http://www.apple.com/retail/statenisland/

So Grand Central Station will be NYC's sixth Apple store. Still no store in Brooklyn though.
post #13 of 24
Why would you say that a store is "3783 feet" from another store? It seems like a really strange unit of measurement to use. Wouldn't it make more sense to use yards? Is this an American thing?
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

Why would you say that a store is "3783 feet" from another store? It seems like a really strange unit of measurement to use. Wouldn't it make more sense to use yards? Is this an American thing?

It's an American thing to be irrational about linear measurement. Among other irrationalities . . .

Still waiting for the metric system,

Flaneur
post #15 of 24
And finally, a store in Berkeley opens in another month! No more trips to Emeryville.
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

Reminds me of the time that the New Starbucks Opens In Rest Room Of Existing Starbucks

Yea, the guy who worked that starbucks took a lot of pee breaks and didn't wash his hands.
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

Why would you say that a store is "3783 feet" from another store? It seems like a really strange unit of measurement to use. Wouldn't it make more sense to use yards? Is this an American thing?

Yards? Wouldn't it be better to say "57 cricket pitches" instead?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That's getting close to the end of the world. Great for Alzheimer's patients. This way, they can leave one Apple store, forget where they were, and go to another Apple store straight away.

I'm still waiting for the Apple Hotel... then you'd never have to leave...
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

Why would you say that a store is "3783 feet" from another store? It seems like a really strange unit of measurement to use. Wouldn't it make more sense to use yards? Is this an American thing?

It sounded very Googleish to me...
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yards? Wouldn't it be better to say "57 cricket pitches" instead?

I think cricket pitches would be similarly unclear.

In Australia we would use metres for anything under 1 kilometre, and then (eg) 2.6km for anything longer.

Where do you draw the line at using feet? Above 10,000? Above 100,000?

It just feels as though no-one would instinctively know how far 4000 feet is (particularly given that Imperial is not a base 10 system), and that they would mentally have to recalculate this in yards or miles then anyway? Seems pretty odd.
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

I think cricket pitches would be similarly unclear.

In Australia we would use metres for anything under 1 kilometre, and then (eg) 2.6km for anything longer.

Where do you draw the line at using feet? Above 10,000? Above 100,000?

It just feels as though no-one would instinctively know how far 4000 feet is (particularly given that Imperial is not a base 10 system), and that they would mentally have to recalculate this in yards or miles then anyway? Seems pretty odd.

Planes fly at 40,000 feet. It's never spoken in yards or miles. Horizontal distance is in feet or blocks or factional miles or miles. "Yard" is used on what we call the "football" field. I prefer the base 8 system myself.
Cubist
Reply
Cubist
Reply
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

I think cricket pitches would be similarly unclear.

In Australia we would use metres for anything under 1 kilometre, and then (eg) 2.6km for anything longer.

Where do you draw the line at using feet? Above 10,000? Above 100,000?

It just feels as though no-one would instinctively know how far 4000 feet is (particularly given that Imperial is not a base 10 system), and that they would mentally have to recalculate this in yards or miles then anyway? Seems pretty odd.

Kilometre? Never heard of it

Here in the U.S., the limit for using feet as a practical everyday unit of measure is about 100,000. For example, in aeronautics, it is still common to express altitude in feet ("the SR71 has a maximum altitude of 85,000 ft"), gradually switching to miles as you pass 100,000.

As for the yard, it does not get used very much, except in sports (mainly American football, known in the U.S. as simply football). I suspect the reason is that the foot and yard differ by a factor of 3, making the yard mostly redundant as a unit of measure here. I mean, if you use meters, why would you ever use the decameter?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #23 of 24
I was just in the Glendale Galleria today, and unless my memory is faulty, it appears that the Apple Store is in a slightly different location than I remember it. Or maybe it's the remodel that's throwing me.

Although the Americana is the Grove on steroids (capped by overpriced condos and apartments that Caruso & Co. is having trouble moving), it's a smart place to put the Apple Store because of all the walking traffic. The only benefit of the Galleria now is the A/C during the summer.

--GTSC
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Kilometre? Never heard of it

Here in the U.S., the limit for using feet as a practical everyday unit of measure is about 100,000. For example, in aeronautics, it is still common to express altitude in feet ("the SR71 has a maximum altitude of 85,000 ft"), gradually switching to miles as you pass 100,000.

As for the yard, it does not get used very much, except in sports (mainly American football, known in the U.S. as simply football). I suspect the reason is that the foot and yard differ by a factor of 3, making the yard mostly redundant as a unit of measure here. I mean, if you use meters, why would you ever use the decameter?

Great, thanks for the explanation.
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple opening new LA area retail store 600 feet from existing outlet