Originally Posted by anantksundaram
1) It would be quite unlike Apple, considering they don't do a lot cheap under-the-radar marketing like many other firms do (e.g., product placements in movies or TV shows).
2) Apple's customers have a bond with the company like few others do. They don't need paid shills in forums like AI.
3) Dozens of sites like AI abound with hundreds of unpaid people (like me) who are not shy about singing its praises (when due), providing it unparalleled free advertising.
4) Being found out doing something so chintzy would not pass an elementary cost-benefit test for Apple.
You have absolutely no clue about the company or how it positions itself, do you?
1) Nice job Apple did there - if you are unable to notice the subtle marketing they are doing.
At least in Germany they are as present in this marketing area, as every other company is.
2) + 3)
That may hold true for those already loyal to Apple, but as you mentioned in 3) Apple has their fanbase doing the marketing for this group already, so they just have to help keep the ball rolling.
On the other hand, for those who are not yet bound to Apple, the opinion of the loyal fanbase values less than the opinion of a seemingly indepent source. I'm also quite confident that Apple's marketing has their influence on - at least some - of those.
I'd go as far as to say, that Apple - on purpose - aims to get some negative critics/reviews on it's product, exactly to acquire more costumers (sounds illogical at first, but it raises sympathy in the non-loyals)