or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple TV update adds support for streaming iTunes TV shows, Vimeo
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple TV update adds support for streaming iTunes TV shows, Vimeo

post #1 of 74
Thread Starter 
Apple on Monday updated its Apple TV set-top-box, adding the ability to purchase TV shows from iTunes and stream shows that have already been purchased, and also adding the ability to re-download TV shows through iTunes [updated].

Users can download and install the update directly from their latest-generation Apple TV. New features of the update, according to Apple, are:
iTunes TV Shows: Purchase your favorite TV shows directly from the iTunes Store, and watch the shows you already own, commercial-free in HD.
Vimeo: Browse and play videos from Vimeo, access your video inbox, and mark videos you want to watch later.
Update: In addition, users can also re-download TV shows via Apple's iCloud service through the iTunes desktop software, or iTunes on iOS devices. A new "TV Shows" section shows up as a tab in the "Purchased" section of the iTunes Store.

Released in 2010, the new Apple TV represented a shift for the company, as it pushed studios to allow 99 cent rentals of TV shows, rather than costlier permanent purchases. But some studios have been reluctant to participate, calling Apple's 99-cent model too inexpensive.

Apple's latest update would seem to circumvent those issues, allowing users to watch shows they already own and buy new content. It's also a departure from the rental-only approach first attempted with the new Apple TV.

However, even with the changes, major U.S. broadcast networks CBS and NBC are not listed under the "TV Networks" section of the Apple TV. Fox and ABC remain the only two of the "big four" that are listed on the device.



The last Apple TV update was issued in May, with version 4.2.2 offering a handful of minor fixes. it addressed issues with audio and video playback, including a setting allowing users to switch to 16-bit audio for compatibility with some TVs and AV receivers.

Last week, AppleInsider revealed that Apple has been selling a half million units of its set-top-box since the device launched late last year. Though sales of the Apple TV are much higher than other similar devices, Apple has famously referred to the relatively niche product as a "hobby," as it doesn't command nearly the kind of sales or attention as a product like the iPhone.
post #2 of 74
TV shows down, now we just movies to complete the set that will give user peace of mind for online content purchases.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #3 of 74
Can anybody confirm if this is US only? I'm assuming it is.
post #4 of 74
Great... all we need now is Hulu (same as 6 months ago).

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply
post #5 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Great... all we need now is Hulu (same as 6 months ago).

Not just Hulu, but Hulu plus.
post #6 of 74
Wake me up when iTunes has live broadcast coverage for news, finance, sports and weather

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #7 of 74
So you can purchase shows, but they won't be on Apple TV itself right? I hope it can go to the upcoming cloud since HD shows take up alot of memory. Every HD show I have purchased also forces you to download the SD version as well.
post #8 of 74
Sweet.
post #9 of 74
Great, but what about untethered jailbreaking on this update?!
post #10 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Can anybody confirm if this is US only? I'm assuming it is.

It works in Canada, too; I just installed and tested it.
post #11 of 74
I purchased a butt-load of movies, stream purchased movies.
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #12 of 74
What I want to know is when they are going to add support for viewing and adding comments to YouTube. One of the main reasons I go to YouTube is so that I can read what other people have thought about a video. Sometimes I go to a YouTube video's page just so that I can read the comments.
post #13 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Wake me up when iTunes has live broadcast coverage for news, finance, sports and weather

Yep...ESPN3 would be great, also.
post #14 of 74
Imagine if Apple used their vast wealth to create some TV channels only available for AppleTV and iTunes/iPod users that run 24 hours a day.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #15 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Imagine if Apple used their vast wealth to create some TV channels only available for AppleTV and iTunes/iPod users that run 24 hours a day.

There you go. I think Apple must be looking into something like that. And Steve Jobs has quite a bit of experience managing content creation from his years as Pixar CEO.

Steve talked about the need to "tear up the box" when asked about set-top boxes at All Things D last year. Maybe what he was really thinking was to "tear up the system" and leapfrog conventional cable TV with an all-internet TV network...

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #16 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Imagine if Apple used their vast wealth to create some TV channels only available for AppleTV and iTunes/iPod users that run 24 hours a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

There you go. I think Apple must be looking into something like that. And Steve Jobs has quite a bit of experience managing content creation from his years as Pixar CEO.

Steve talked about the need to "tear up the box" when asked about set-top boxes at All Things D last year. Maybe what he was really thinking was to "tear up the system" and leapfrog conventional cable TV with an all-internet TV network...

Content is king. Everything else is just a distribution pipe.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #17 of 74
This is a good step forward and a nice surprise for a Monday. I hate having to go get my MacBook to buy an episode. So much better to just stream it from Apple instead directly from my ATV. Nice job Apple. Now just add CBS and NBC.

And while we are on the subject, why not original programming from HBO and Showtime? Yes I could buy these channels from the cable company, but why not just let me rent/buy the episodes I want directly from ATV? Why do we need the cable provider in the mix here? Money is money.
post #18 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Monday updated its Apple TV set-top-box, adding the ability to purchase TV shows from iTunes and stream shows that have already been purchased, and also adding support for the website Vimeo.

Users can download and install the update directly from their latest-generation Apple TV. New features of the update, according to Apple, are:
iTunes TV Shows: Purchase your favorite TV shows directly from the iTunes Store, and watch the shows you already own, commercial-free in HD.

Wondering what I'm missing here - we've purchased both movies and TV shows directly from iTunes via our Apple TV on several occasions since we purchased it in early June. I know I'm not making this up...
post #19 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

This is a good step forward and a nice surprise for a Monday. I hate having to go get my MacBook to buy an episode. So much better to just stream it from Apple instead directly from my ATV. Nice job Apple. Now just add CBS and NBC.

And while we are on the subject, why not original programming from HBO and Showtime? Yes I could buy these channels from the cable company, but why not just let me rent/buy the episodes I want directly from ATV? Why do we need the cable provider in the mix here? Money is money.

Big thing for me here is that this indicates that iCloud is getting extended to video sooner rather than later, which means I can stop worrying about the 2 terabytes of TV and movies I bought off Apple dying to a RAID-5 disaster. Better yet I can go and buy another 2 terabytes soon without having to worry about buying yet more storage.
post #20 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

TV shows down, now we just movies to complete the set that will give user peace of mind for online content purchases.

Movies and a way to watch the extras on both tv and device which would make them more like digital DVDs

As for the hobby comment, I don't buy that the term is a sign that Apple cares little for this device. I think it is more a reflection that it isn't going to be this huge all powerful thing that really works independent of the computer etc for a while. By calling it a hobby, folks don't over expect and thus complain less.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Wondering what I'm missing here - we've purchased both movies and TV shows directly from iTunes via our Apple TV on several occasions since we purchased it in early June. I know I'm not making this up...


Ease of use. You don't have to set up all the home sharing. And potentially one could leave your home network, say on a trip and so long as the Apple TV is signed to your Apple ID you can access you purchases, in effect the very streaming folks have been asking for, just not with a flat monthly rate. If this proves profitable, that step on bulk rentals on a monthly fee akin to Netflix could happeninthe near rather than far future
post #21 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashaww View Post

Not just Hulu, but Hulu plus.

Actually what we need is for Apple to buy Hulu and make it work. What a cumbersome nightmare - Why am I prompted to "share with friends on Facebook" every fricking time I visit Hulu (hint to Hulu: I will *never* want to share what I'm watching). Why do they think the default view should be to mix episodes up with clips and trailers and all sorts of crap? Do people really watch all of those, as often or more often than actual episodes?

And of course the biggest nightmare - why do I have to buy an app for my iPad (which apparently gives me *less* content than the Hulu website itself), instead of being able to watch via Safari? I can hook up my Windows laptop to my TV and watch directly from the Hulu site; there's no reason I shouldn't be able to do the same thing via my iPad. The whole notion that different devices have different web access is faulty.
post #22 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Ease of use. You don't have to set up all the home sharing.

Thanks. I thought I was going crazy for a sec. So basically this capability already existed for someone who drills down more than one level - just use home sharing.
post #23 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Wake me up when iTunes has live broadcast coverage for news, finance, sports and weather

That will likely require apps like the current MLB and NBA apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etslee View Post

So you can purchase shows, but they won't be on Apple TV itself right? I hope it can go to the upcoming cloud since HD shows take up alot of memory. Every HD show I have purchased also forces you to download the SD version as well.

I would imagine it is via the rental files rather than stored ones. And it is likely since the hd is the form for the Apple Tv that is all it will read. I would however love the option to choose what I download when I buy and the other just waits in my queue until I ask for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by pik80 View Post

What I want to know is when they are going to add support for viewing and adding comments to YouTube. One of the main reasons I go to YouTube is so that I can read what other people have thought about a video. Sometimes I go to a YouTube video's page just so that I can read the comments.

Viewing is fairly easy and I agree it should be added. Adding with the silver remote would be a pain. Perhaps if there was someway to sync with and iPhone etc to use that keyboard.
post #24 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Imagine if Apple used their vast wealth to create some TV channels only available for AppleTV and iTunes/iPod users that run 24 hours a day.

Now, that would -- even for an Apple apologist like me -- would officially put the company in the realm of mega-creepy Big Brother.
post #25 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Content is king. Everything else is just a distribution pipe.

If so, assets such as ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox -- the media, in general -- should be worth far more than Apple, no? At least, far more than they are worth now?
post #26 of 74
I don't think Apple buying Hulu is a distinct option. Remember that Hulu is owned by NBCUniversal which is owned by Comcast (51%) and GE (49%). Those are big players. Also, if Apple were to go down that route I'd like to see them go after Comcast by buying into them for a very real and influential portion of the company.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Wondering what I'm missing here - we've purchased both movies and TV shows directly from iTunes via our Apple TV on several occasions since we purchased it in early June. I know I'm not making this up...

The original AppleTV allowed for TV purchases to be made on the device, but the new AppleTV only allowed rentals.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #27 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Imagine if Apple used their vast wealth to create some TV channels only available for AppleTV and iTunes/iPod users that run 24 hours a day.

You're halfway there. The real change will come when Apple manages to get apps on ATV. Im not talking about games or social media. I'm talking about apps to receive content from specific channels or shows.

When I can watch The Daily Show, Colbert, CNN, MSNBC and NFL games on my ATV, I won't need cable at all, ever again, and it basically brings a new model for subscription TV, not to mention bringing the TV into the iOS family in a very big way.

Now, here's a crazy thought (that's never going to happen): Imagine if Apple bought a wireless carrier to scoop up some of that wireless spectrum. Total Game Changer.
post #28 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Remember that Hulu is owned by NBCUniversal ......

This is a commonly-repeated myth.

Hulu is jointly owned by NBCUniversal (32 percent), News Corporation (31 percent), Disney-ABC (27 percent), and Providence Equity Partners (10 percent).

The irony is, the largest shareholder of Disney is...... of course, SJ, who, therefore, owns a slice of Hulu!
post #29 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This is a commonly-repeated myth.

Hulu is jointly owned by NBCUniversal (32 percent), News Corporation (31 percent), Disney-ABC (27 percent), and Providence Equity Partners (10 percent).

The irony is, the largest shareholder of Disney is...... of course, SJ, who, therefore, owns a slice of Hulu!

My mistake.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #30 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

And Steve Jobs has quite a bit of experience managing content creation from his years as Pixar CEO.

I'm sure John Lassiter would not agree with that statement. Jobs dumped money into pixar for years.
Then made the company public. Became a billionaire and eventually sold the company. He was management. Not creative department.

This is not bitching. I admire Steve Jobs. But he had little to do with the greatness of Pixar.
post #31 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

This is a good step forward and a nice surprise for a Monday. I hate having to go get my MacBook to buy an episode. So much better to just stream it from Apple instead directly from my ATV. Nice job Apple. Now just add CBS and NBC.

And while we are on the subject, why not original programming from HBO and Showtime? Yes I could buy these channels from the cable company, but why not just let me rent/buy the episodes I want directly from ATV? Why do we need the cable provider in the mix here? Money is money.

current-season HBO is available only on cable - not through _any_ other source, as far as I know, and the reason is exactly as you say: money is money. Guess who owns HBO? Time Warner. They have vertical integration - owning both the content (super-premium content) and the pipes. Closed economy, tight control, maximizing revenue. Plenty of people subscribe to HBO to watch only ONE of their series - so they're paying $15/month directly to TW for something that any internet-based service would only be able to charge ~$2 per episode and split it with TW. So their revenue-per-viewer would just go down by maybe half. This is just armchair analysis, however - if anyone knows differently, correct me please.
post #32 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by See Flat View Post

I'm sure John Lassiter would not agree with that statement. Jobs dumped money into pixar for years.
Then made the company public. Became a billionaire and eventually sold the company. He was management. Not creative department.

This is not bitching. I admire Steve Jobs. But he had little to do with the greatness of Pixar.

That's like saying Steve Jobs has nothing to do with the rebirth or Apple because he's management, not the creative department. The fact is that Steve Jobs made both Apple and Pixar respected and wealthy companies.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #33 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Perhaps if there was someway to sync with and iPhone etc to use that keyboard.

Yes, you can already use an iOS device to enter in text, also I think you can even use a regular blue tooth keyboard (or maybe adding that feature was a rumor.)
post #34 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by See Flat View Post

I'm sure John Lassiter would not agree with that statement. Jobs dumped money into pixar for years.
Then made the company public. Became a billionaire and eventually sold the company. He was management. Not creative department.

This is not bitching. I admire Steve Jobs. But he had little to do with the greatness of Pixar.

Oh, I can't agree with that at all. What was Pixar when SJ bought it? A maker of software. I owned that software, but that was it. SJ turned it into a movie studio. A very big part of a brilliant manager is to hire people who know more than he does about what a company should do, and how to do it.

SJ has to be given full credit for the success of Pixar, and I'm sure Lassiter would agree. If SJ didn't give him a free hand to do what he needed to do, Pixar might have failed. In too many studios, the top managers think they are creative types, and ruin the work being done, or have the bean counters decide on what to do, and how much to spend on doing it.

Pixar could have quadrupled their output, and come out with poor quality films, but they didn't. With Disney, they have doubled their output, but Lassiter, even though he's also in charge of the theme parks as well, has kept the quality high. You can be sure that in negotiations, SJ had made sure that Pixar remained pretty independent.

Give credit where it's due.
post #35 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by resnyc View Post

current-season HBO is available only on cable - not through _any_ other source, as far as I know, and the reason is exactly as you say: money is money. Guess who owns HBO? Time Warner. They have vertical integration - owning both the content (super-premium content) and the pipes. Closed economy, tight control, maximizing revenue. Plenty of people subscribe to HBO to watch only ONE of their series - so they're paying $15/month directly to TW for something that any internet-based service would only be able to charge ~$2 per episode and split it with TW. So their revenue-per-viewer would just go down by maybe half. This is just armchair analysis, however - if anyone knows differently, correct me please.

What I'm not happy about is that you must subscribe to TWs' Internet service to use the HBO app. I pay for HBO on their service, and so I feel that I should be allowed to watch it over my own WiFi.
post #36 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

i purchased a butt-load of movies, stream purchased movies.

+1000
post #37 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post


And while we are on the subject, why not original programming from HBO and Showtime?

One word: ratings.

Cable nets are stuck in the same mind rut as the broadcast nets. They only credit shows budget make good based off ratings, despite the fact that the accuracy of the ratings system has been questioned for years. With broadcast nets the ratings are used to get ad funds. For cable nets, they are used to divide up the funds they get from the cable companies.

If they would get off their butts and use all sources of income for the make good we would see a much different landscape. Especially if they combined it with a rework of the rating system
post #38 of 74
sitting in my living room watching vimeo
YNWA J96
Reply
YNWA J96
Reply
post #39 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by resnyc View Post

current-season HBO is available only on cable - not through _any_ other source, as far as I know, and the reason is exactly as you say: money is money. Guess who owns HBO? Time Warner. They have vertical integration - owning both the content (super-premium content) and the pipes. Closed economy, tight control, maximizing revenue. Plenty of people subscribe to HBO to watch only ONE of their series - so they're paying $15/month directly to TW for something that any internet-based service would only be able to charge ~$2 per episode and split it with TW. So their revenue-per-viewer would just go down by maybe half. This is just armchair analysis, however - if anyone knows differently, correct me please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What I'm not happy about is that you must subscribe to TWs' Internet service to use the HBO app. I pay for HBO on their service, and so I feel that I should be allowed to watch it over my own WiFi.

HBO2GO carries current season even current episodes of HBO Programs. Seems to be precisely the same timing as the On-Demand content on Uverse, but there are some extras in the App I can not find on my TV.

I have U-verse by the way and the HBO App works great, even when travelling.
post #40 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzzzz View Post

sitting in my living room watching vimeo

but not TV Shows as yet. Oh well! Maybe some time soon
YNWA J96
Reply
YNWA J96
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple TV update adds support for streaming iTunes TV shows, Vimeo