or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple TV update adds support for streaming iTunes TV shows, Vimeo

Apple TV update adds support for streaming iTunes TV shows, Vimeo - Page 2

post #41 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Actually what we need is for Apple to buy Hulu and make it work. ...

I'm not trying to pick on you because many people are making the same suggestion here but what a short-sighted xenophobic suggestion it is!

Hulu is:

- USA only
- mostly just NBC TV shows

Fully 60 or 70% of Apples audience cannot get Hulu at all. Of those that can, the majority are not going to care. People in the USA that get off on watching "the Office" or whatever else is on Hulu, need to realise that lack of Hulu availability is just not an issue at all to most of the world.

They won't buy any of them but if they wanted to buy a streaming service, Netflix would be a much, much, much better candidate.
post #42 of 74
All this is well and good... But content delivery is soon to be a major issue with data caps and whatnot being thrust upon the consumer.

Something is going to have to give soon.
post #43 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Big thing for me here is that this indicates that iCloud is getting extended to video sooner rather than later, which means I can stop worrying about the 2 terabytes of TV and movies I bought off Apple dying to a RAID-5 disaster. Better yet I can go and buy another 2 terabytes soon without having to worry about buying yet more storage.

I hear ya. I have 8 Terabytes (using around 5 Tb) in my htpc set up. Wife keeps lecturing me that I do not need to back up the entire internet and every piece of media ever created.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
post #44 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But some studios have been reluctant to participate, calling Apple's 99-cent model too inexpensive.

This really shows the brain power of the content creators. I can pay $7.99/mo. for Hulu Plus and watch 100's of shows. But charge me $.99 each and this is a losing proposition, for who?

post #45 of 74
Is Netflix available on apple t.v.? if not, they should allow it as well. It would help both of them.
post #46 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Wake me up when iTunes has live broadcast coverage for news, finance, sports and weather

I agree...

Get "live" TV and we can get rid of the cable TV service -- maybe trade it for faster internet speeds (we have ATT U-verse)

But, I have a beta release of iOS on the ATV that supports iOS 5 devices -- so I don't get these new features...

Bummer!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #47 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Imagine if Apple used their vast wealth to create some TV channels only available for AppleTV and iTunes/iPod users that run 24 hours a day.

Mmmm... very interesting idea...

That could provide a lateral arabesque around the cable TV stranglehold on TV delivery.

BTW, AAPL is $25 Billion and change behind XOM for the largest market cap.

post #48 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzzzz View Post

sitting in my living room watching vimeo

Unless one is into Gaga goo goo-type stuff, Vimeo is pretty limited.

I've run out of things to watch there.
post #49 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by accessoriesguy View Post

Is Netflix available on apple t.v.? if not, they should allow it as well. It would help both of them.

It is and was one of the biggest new feature of the current model.
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
post #50 of 74
Quote:

Imagine if Apple used their vast wealth to create some TV channels only available for AppleTV and iTunes/iPod users that run 24 hours a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

There you go. I think Apple must be looking into something like that. And Steve Jobs has quite a bit of experience managing content creation from his years as Pixar CEO.

Steve talked about the need to "tear up the box" when asked about set-top boxes at All Things D last year. Maybe what he was really thinking was to "tear up the system" and leapfrog conventional cable TV with an all-internet TV network...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Content is king. Everything else is just a distribution pipe.

I agree... content is king -- but if Apple could build a vastly superior delivery system...

"If you build it, they will come!"

Edit:

It would be more like a spray hose than a pipe...

And, consider, that the millions of iDevices have little AppleTVs built right into them.

post #51 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Great... all we need now is Hulu (same as 6 months ago).

If Hulu is sold off soon, don't expect to see it on AppleTV any time soon. They have a competitive advantage over Apple and will go to the highest bidder.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #52 of 74
Hello. Can someone tell me is there an option (I know AppleTV doesn't but how about Roku, boxee, etc.) for a box than can play live TV without the use of cable/satellite TV? Or are those still the only option to watch live TV/Sports on TV? I'd love to get rid of Comcast cable service, but until I can get live sports, ESPN, etc, I'm stuck with cable. Thank you.
post #53 of 74
Quote:

That's like saying Steve Jobs has nothing to do with the rebirth or Apple because he's management, not the creative department. The fact is that Steve Jobs made both Apple and Pixar respected and wealthy companies.

No it's not. I give full credit to Jobs for the focus, and vision of what Apple was to be, what it has become and what it will be in the future. (Not as sure as I like where it's going)

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Oh, I can't agree with that at all. What was Pixar when SJ bought it? A maker of software. I owned that software, but that was it. SJ turned it into a movie studio. A very big part of a brilliant manager is to hire people who know more than he does about what a company should do, and how to do it.

Give credit where it's due.

I do. Jobs negotiated great deals as only he can. Because when he believes in something, everyone's opinion is beneath him, and he is smart enough to convince anyone he is right. That is built on a foundation that he is almost always right in his perceptive vision.

Lassiter was at Pixar from day one. He had the vision of making movies, not Jobs. Jobs thought he was buying a hardware company. Jobs loves hardware and selling it.

This is obviously based on stuff I've read over the years. I dont know any of the parties involved. As I'm pretty sure no one else posting here does.
post #54 of 74
Windows Media Center > AppleTV.

Until AppleTV has CableCard/Tru2Way support, it will always be a distant second as long as we still have broadcast TV.
post #55 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

There you go. I think Apple must be looking into something like that. And Steve Jobs has quite a bit of experience managing content creation from his years as Pixar CEO.

Steve talked about the need to "tear up the box" when asked about set-top boxes at All Things D last year. Maybe what he was really thinking was to "tear up the system" and leapfrog conventional cable TV with an all-internet TV network...

I think you're just making shit up.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #56 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Windows Media Center > AppleTV.

Until AppleTV has CableCard/Tru2Way support, it will always be a distant second as long as we still have broadcast TV.

Useless outside the USA or even in parts of the USA.
post #57 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Hello. Can someone tell me is there an option (I know AppleTV doesn't but how about Roku, boxee, etc.) for a box than can play live TV without the use of cable/satellite TV? Or are those still the only option to watch live TV/Sports on TV? I'd love to get rid of Comcast cable service, but until I can get live sports, ESPN, etc, I'm stuck with cable. Thank you.

In a nutshell, you're pretty much stuck with a cable box these days if you want to watch premium content like ESPN, especially from Comcast.

If you're getting your content from a cable provider like Comcast, some sort of cable box is generally required except for unencrypted local ATSC/Open Cable (Clear QAM) channels using an ATSC tuner-equipped TV. Everything beyond basic local channels on Comcast requires at minimum a Comcast DTA (Digital Transport Adapter) box, up through one of their set-top DVRs.

An alternative for Mac users is a tuner from Elgato (www.elgato.com). Their EyeTV tuners plug into a USB port and can receive an unencrypted ATSC or NTSC signal from cable or an antenna. You won't get ESPN or other premium cable content, however, unless a Comcast cable box feeds the EyeTV tuner.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #58 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Wake me up when iTunes has live broadcast coverage for news, finance, sports and weather

You'd think Weather should be perfect for the AppleTV. From a weather app like on the iPhone, do a deal with ABC and link to their latest weather reports for your location, so they're ready to watch/stream any time. I'm in Australia, so do a deal with our local weather too.

News could REALLY be rethought. Give me a 3 minute summary of the news and let me click for each story I want to hear more on - then do the longer versions of each of those. Or just give me a list of news articles. Or just show the regular news but let me hit "right" to skip to the next article. There are lots of options.

I'd very much like to be able to link somehow to further analysis of a story, or even to go back to the 'full' story for news that has been going a couple of days with small updates but somehow I missed entirely.

What I'm saying is I don't want regular news/finance/weather... I want it to work much better.

(Sport is simpler - it needs to be live and streamed, probably with an integrated iPhone app )
post #59 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

HBO2GO carries current season even current episodes of HBO Programs. Seems to be precisely the same timing as the On-Demand content on Uverse, but there are some extras in the App I can not find on my TV.

I have U-verse by the way and the HBO App works great, even when travelling.

You have to _subscribe_ to HBO to get HBOGO, so, no paying for just single episodes through any service like AppleTV or Netflix. And it's only available as a separate, stand-alone service provided by your "TV provider", via an app onto iPhone, iPad, but does _not_ support airplay, therefore AppleTV does not offer current episodes even through airplay from iPad. Reviews of the app on App Store are fairly negative. And not all "TV providers" offer it - not even Time Warner Cable itself! HBO understands full well they have the best entertainment available on TV, and they'll sell it only for the monthly subscription price, or not at all.
post #60 of 74
I just realized that all of my previous purchases of Music and TV shows are now available in iTunes and on my iPhone to re-download for free from iCloud. Once they secure the rights for Movies we will be able to access any of our apple purchased media from anywhere on our Apple devices.
post #61 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

In a nutshell, you're pretty much stuck with a cable box these days if you want to watch premium content like ESPN, especially from Comcast.

If you're getting your content from a cable provider like Comcast, some sort of cable box is generally required except for unencrypted local ATSC/Open Cable (Clear QAM) channels using an ATSC tuner-equipped TV. Everything beyond basic local channels on Comcast requires at minimum a Comcast DTA (Digital Transport Adapter) box, up through one of their set-top DVRs.

An alternative for Mac users is a tuner from Elgato (www.elgato.com). Their EyeTV tuners plug into a USB port and can receive an unencrypted ATSC or NTSC signal from cable or an antenna. You won't get ESPN or other premium cable content, however, unless a Comcast cable box feeds the EyeTV tuner.

Thank you for the detailed response - appreciated! Now I know.

Unless you can get prime TV channels like ESPN and live sports or even live programming as it's show w/o waiting all for free or minimal price, I don't get the attraction to AppleTV/Roku, etc. I guess its good if you don't care about live programming and only want to watch TV shows 1-2 days after airing and movies. If I had one I'd only use it for Netflix streaming, not paying $1.00-4.00 for some show that comes on free TV or a movie from Apple I'm forced to watch in 24 hours. That's the turn off to me about Redbox, the being forced into a time schedule. At least on Netflix the DVD can sit around for days until I'm ready to watch.
post #62 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Big thing for me here is that this indicates that iCloud is getting extended to video sooner rather than later, which means I can stop worrying about the 2 terabytes of TV and movies I bought off Apple dying to a RAID-5 disaster. Better yet I can go and buy another 2 terabytes soon without having to worry about buying yet more storage.

Wow, you had a harddisc crash and don't have a (offsite) backup? That doesn't sound clever since it was filled with purchased, paid content. I understand you are one happy dude now!
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #63 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Wife keeps lecturing me that I do not need to back up the entire internet and every piece of media ever created.

But cloudgazer needs to backup as he lost purchased content. For your sake I hope you ignored your wifes' advise to not backup.
post #64 of 74
Good stuff! I hope it will be like iTunes music where we can, for a $24.95 fee, upload all of our music and it becomes part of our iTunes library. Uploading TV shows (and maybe eventually movies as well) might be too much "cumbersome" for those who have less-than-1Mbps upload speeds.

(Mid-2012) 15.4" MacBook Pro w/ IPS Retina Display | Quad Core i7-3720QM 2.6GHz / 3.6GHz Max. Turbo | 16GB DDR3-1600MHz RAM | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD-based NAND Flash ETA 9/5

(Mid-2012) 15.4" MacBook Pro w/ IPS Retina Display | Quad Core i7-3720QM 2.6GHz / 3.6GHz Max. Turbo | 16GB DDR3-1600MHz RAM | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD-based NAND Flash ETA 9/5

post #65 of 74
you must have been using an tv 1. the tv2 has not had the ability to purchase movies, music, or tv shows directly from the device since it was released.
unless apple sold you the super special one for super special people 8^)

this was in response to sierrajaf saying Wondering what I'm missing here - we've purchased both movies and TV shows directly from iTunes via our Apple TV on several occasions since we purchased it in early June. I know I'm not making this up...
post #66 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'm not trying to pick on you because many people are making the same suggestion here but what a short-sighted xenophobic suggestion it is!

Wow - xenophobic. Never been called that before - let alone by someone who doesn't even know me.

Not to mention that the suggestion to buy something with a predominantly U.S. market presence is hardly "xenophobic", it's at most "U.S.-centric". Not at all the same thing.

Not to mention that it's been breaking out products in the U.S. market, from the first iPad on, that's allowed Apple to grow and innovate and expand. Yes I firmly believe that future growth lies best abroad (read: Asia), but given that Apple's sitting on more cash than the U.S. government (oh goddess - can I say that without sounding Amero-phobic?) maybe they can easily afford to take actions that aren't 100% fully pro-rata in ratio with their current international market shares.
post #67 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

you must have been using an tv 1. the tv2 has not had the ability to purchase movies, music, or tv shows directly from the device since it was released.
unless apple sold you the super special one for super special people 8^)

No it's an ATV2 (aside - why do people assume you don't know what you're talking about? why, when I specifically mentioned having it for about 2 months and, internally, have some pretty stark memories about buying the ATV2 from the Apple store in June, would someone volunteer 'oh, you must have an ATV1'?).

Someone else clarified that what I was doing was renting, and accessing via homeshare, not outright purchasing.
post #68 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Wondering what I'm missing here - we've purchased both movies and TV shows directly from iTunes via our Apple TV on several occasions since we purchased it in early June. I know I'm not making this up...

if i misunderstood you then fine, but your post says "directly from iTunes via apple tv"
which means you were "purchasing" on the apple tv not in iTunes on your computer.
I thought you perhaps purchased an apple tv1 from somewhere instead of the 2.
mea culpa i guess...
post #69 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Thank you for the detailed response - appreciated! Now I know.

Unless you can get prime TV channels like ESPN and live sports or even live programming as it's show w/o waiting all for free or minimal price, I don't get the attraction to AppleTV/Roku, etc. I guess its good if you don't care about live programming and only want to watch TV shows 1-2 days after airing and movies. If I had one I'd only use it for Netflix streaming, not paying $1.00-4.00 for some show that comes on free TV or a movie from Apple I'm forced to watch in 24 hours. That's the turn off to me about Redbox, the being forced into a time schedule. At least on Netflix the DVD can sit around for days until I'm ready to watch.

Everyone stresses video with Apple TV but there's more. I wirelessly stream lots of music in my iTunes libraries (multiple computers) through my TV and to my home entertainment system. You also can stream the hundreds of online radio stations available on iTunes. I live in the Midwest and one of my favorite stations happens to be a classical music broadcaster in New York City. You can use an iMac equipped with an Elgato EyeTV tuner to record broadcast shows of your choosing, export them to iTunes, and watch them at your convenience on Apple TV, an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch - whatever.

post #70 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzzzz View Post

sitting in my living room watching vimeo

Does the change to the TV Shows section make the AppleTV more useful in the UK? I was put off because the selling point was TV Rentals and NetFlix and we didn't get either

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.9
Black/Space Grey iPad Air with Wi-Fi & LTE | 128GB | On 4GEE
White iPhone 6 | 64GB | On 3UK

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.9
Black/Space Grey iPad Air with Wi-Fi & LTE | 128GB | On 4GEE
White iPhone 6 | 64GB | On 3UK

post #71 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by See Flat View Post

No it's not. I give full credit to Jobs for the focus, and vision of what Apple was to be, what it has become and what it will be in the future. (Not as sure as I like where it's going)

I do. Jobs negotiated great deals as only he can. Because when he believes in something, everyone's opinion is beneath him, and he is smart enough to convince anyone he is right. That is built on a foundation that he is almost always right in his perceptive vision.

Lassiter was at Pixar from day one. He had the vision of making movies, not Jobs. Jobs thought he was buying a hardware company. Jobs loves hardware and selling it.

This is obviously based on stuff I've read over the years. I dont know any of the parties involved. As I'm pretty sure no one else posting here does.

It was a hardware and software company, and Lassiter was making shorts that were just several minutes long at first, and that were designed to show off the systems. He didn't start there by making movies, that came later.
post #72 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by resnyc View Post

You have to _subscribe_ to HBO to get HBOGO, so, no paying for just single episodes through any service like AppleTV or Netflix. And it's only available as a separate, stand-alone service provided by your "TV provider", via an app onto iPhone, iPad, but does _not_ support airplay, therefore AppleTV does not offer current episodes even through airplay from iPad. Reviews of the app on App Store are fairly negative. And not all "TV providers" offer it - not even Time Warner Cable itself! HBO understands full well they have the best entertainment available on TV, and they'll sell it only for the monthly subscription price, or not at all.

You aren't entirely correct. For one thing, Time Warner does offer it. At least in NYC. But as I said earlier, you must also subscribe to their Internet service to get this.
post #73 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbc View Post

It works in Canada, too; I just installed and tested it.

I am in Canada, installed the update but still no TV section in the menu. I do have some TV series I bought on itunes.
post #74 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

If Hulu is sold off soon, don't expect to see it on AppleTV any time soon. They have a competitive advantage over Apple and will go to the highest bidder.

With DirectTV dropping out of the bidding this week, only Amazon, Yahoo and Dish Network are left as interested parties. Looks like the purchase may cost one of them more than $2B, with Amazon the favorite.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple TV update adds support for streaming iTunes TV shows, Vimeo