or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Canalys: Apple's iOS now world's 2nd largest smartphone platform

Canalys: Apple's iOS now world's 2nd largest smartphone platform

post #1 of 93
Apple's iOS has surpassed Nokia's Symbian to become the world's second largest smartphone platform with a 19 percent market share, behind only Android's 48 percent share with multiple manufacturers, according to the latest figures from Canalys.

Because Android phones are made by a wide number of hardware manufacturers, Apple's surpassing of Nokia made it the world's largest individual smartphone manufacturer in the second quarter of 2011.

"The iPhone has been a phenomenal success story for Apple and a watershed product for the market," Canalys Vice President and Principal Analyst Chris Jones said. "It's an impressive success story, given that Apple has only been in the smart phone market for four years.

"With the next-generation iPhone anticipated in (the third quarter of calendar 2011), it's likely that Apple's position will grow even stronger in the second half of the year."

Also moving ahead of Nokia in the second quarter was Apple's rival Samsung. However, Canalys said that Samsung, the largest Android device vendor, had an "underwhelming" performance, considering the opportunities available due to Nokia's struggles.

"Samsung has failed to fully capitalize on Nokia's weakened state around the world, as the Finnish company rides out a challenging transitional period," Jones said. "It's the best placed vendor to grow at Nokia's expense, taking advantage of its global scale and channel reach, but it hasnt yet done enough to capitalize on this, particularly in emerging markets."

Samsung's 17 million smartphone units sold in the quarter placed it behind the record 20.34 million iPhones sold by Apple last quarter, Canalys said. Nokia's smartphone sales were just 16.7 million units last quarter.

Though Android is the leading platform in 35 of the 56 markets Canalys tracks, the firm found that Nokia has retained its leading role in emerging markets like Brazil, Russia, India and China.

"The problem for Nokia is that demand for its Symbian-based smart phones has dissipated very rapidly, particularly in operator-led markets, such as Western Europe, where it's been strong in the past," said Canalys Principal Analyst Pete Cunningham. "It badly needs the first of its Windows Phone devices to launch as soon as possible to arrest a decline and, hopefully, silence its critics."

In all, Canalys found that the smartphone market grew 73 percent year over year, with more than 107.7 million total units shipped in the second quarter of 2011.

While the latest Canalys estimates represent sales and market share, Apple is far and away the market leader in terms of profits in the mobile industry. One analysis released last week found that Apple represents about two-thirds of the mobile phone industry's profits due to growing iPhone sales.
post #2 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's iOS has surpassed Nokia's Symbian to become the world's second largest smartphone platform ...

Except iOS is not actually a "smartphone platform."
post #3 of 93
I would imagine that most people on this forum know how to read this news but this same information when disseminated to the masses reads like this:

"Apple's iPhone is falling precipitously behind Google's Android platform."

Next week, when I mention to my Mother that I am buying an iPhone, I'll be greeted with this response:

"Oh, Son, I would be careful about buying one of those, I hear they'll be off the market soon."

[on edit: Expect a 15% drop in AAPL over the next 3 weeks]
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #4 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrisar View Post

A full 30% behind? Ouch!

iPad devices, iPod touch devices, I wonder what the real number is.
post #5 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

iPad devices, iPod touch devices, I wonder what the real number is.

The iPhone is over 50% of iOS device sales so even if you add all the iOS devices together Android would still be ahead although not by nearly as much..
post #6 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I would imagine that most people on this forum know how to read this news but this same information when disseminated to the masses reads like this:

"Apple's iPhone is falling precipitously behind Google's Android platform."

Next week, when I mention to my Mother that I am buying an iPhone, I'll be greeted with this response:

"Oh, Son, I would be careful about buying one of those, I hear they'll be off the market soon."

[on edit: Expect a 15% drop in AAPL over the next 3 weeks]

Rigged "buy" opportunity...
post #7 of 93
Who gives a shit if Android is that far ahead of Apple? I certainly don't. Apple isn't going anywhere, nor is Android.
post #8 of 93
With Samsung, the number of smart phones sold is a real unknown with numbers ranging from 15 million to 21 million. Even if that. What is the break down? Bada? Android? WP7? For Bada, there are estimates it could be as high as 5 million (3.5 million last quarter). WP7? Everyone is mum but that may be around 1.2 million. Android the rest.

With Samsung increasing its exposure more and more in the numbers with larger smart phone shipments, it makes these calculations have huge potential sources of error and it disappoints me the reports do not try to put an error range on the data.
post #9 of 93
I'm not sure what's more amazing, Apples stunning growth in the space, or Symbian (Nokia)'s fall.
post #10 of 93
Quote:

Well, the real number is 30% behind for smartphones,

Not so accurate, because every android device is counted as a "smartphone", even the tablets and half-tablets (Streak etc). Only with apple, they peel away those from the numbers.
post #11 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0yvind View Post

Not so accurate, because every android device is counted as a "smartphone", even the tablets and half-tablets (Streak etc). Only with apple, they peel away those from the numbers.

Mmm, no, only smartphones are counted
post #12 of 93
Quote:

A full 30% behind? Ouch!

Number one smart phone maker. 2/3 of all the industry profits. Surely every phone maker would like to be apple at this point. Not the other way around.
Ouch?
post #13 of 93
Quote:

A full 30% behind? Ouch!

Perhaps you missed the most important sentence in the whole story.

i.e. "While the latest Canalys estimates represent sales and market share, Apple is far and away the market leader in terms of profits in the mobile industry".

Now I'm going to ask you, oh wise one, a trick question .... if you ran a company and could choose to "lead in one category only", which would you choose .... market share or profits ..... think carefully .... ouch.

I guess it's true ... we only see what we want to see.
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
post #14 of 93
Quote:

Well, high margins brought Apple to the brink of bankruptcy, not?

I guess it's true,,, we filter out what we don't want to see.

Apple has more cash on hand than the federal government. Your arguments are very thin.
post #15 of 93
Quote:

One might say that Android's story, a full year behind Apple, is even more impressive.

When was the day the Apple-is-always-the-best-no-questions-asked-fans told that Android would
1) Never catch on and then (3 years ago)
2) Never catch up and then (2 years ago)
3) Never surpass Apple (1 year ago)

Sure... but Apple is still the best... hands down... no question... absolutely...
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #16 of 93
Quote:

Once again you "only see part of the story". It wasn't "high margins" that "brought Apple to the brink of bankruptcy" ...... it was high margins ... without having enough of a quality product line to warrant those high margins ..... that's just bad management ... something that obviously doesn't exist today, as the performance of Apple surely points out to anyone who cares to "open both eyes".
post #17 of 93
Quote:

One might say that Android's story, a full year behind Apple, is even more impressive.

When was the day the Apple-is-always-the-best-no-questions-asked-fans told that Android would

And yet all over the news, business, blogs it's apple that often gets the accolades. That's got to sting.
post #18 of 93
Quote:

I'm sorry, what are your arguments?
Do you really believe no-one is concerned about this figures at Apple?

For the first time, Android is eating up Apple's market share.

So how did instantly selling all your Apple stock as soon as the "Antenna-gate" story broke work out for you, again?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #19 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Now I'm going to ask you, oh wise one, a trick question .... if you ran a company and could choose to "lead in one category only", which would you choose .... market share or profits ..... think carefully .... ouch.

Hmmmm... Apple leads in both categories... largest smartphone manufacturer and leader in profits by a wide margin.

Next question...
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #20 of 93
Quote:

My arguments were listed in my first reply to you.
Apple is the largest smartphone maker and takes 2/3 of the industry profits. Like I said, the other smartphone makers wish they were Apple not the other way around.
post #21 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

So how did instantly selling all your Apple stock as soon as the "Antenna-gate" story broke work out for you, again?

He/she (cgrisar) actually believes he/she sounds intelligent.

My ignore list is getting longer...
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #22 of 93
Quote:

Are you really not understanding how a product that is free to use by any manufacturer, without regard to performance quality, would hold a greater market share than a product whose quality is tightly controlled and not given freely to every Tom, Dick and Harry out there?

"Free" is always "more popular" than "not free" ..... and the *cough, quality, cough* of said product proves, once again, that "you only get what you pay for".
post #23 of 93
Quote:

Yes, sure.

A bit like Next who warranted that quality but was never able to sell a single box because of it's price point. And surely, let's just forget about the fact that customers could easily switch between manufacturers thanks to an open system (though not necessarily as good as the closed system).

Ever heard of tunnel vision?

Well I'm positive you have.
post #24 of 93
Quote:

A full 30% behind? Ouch!

Seeing as how they didn't provide any methodology, I'll reserve judgment until someone presents some facts.

I think it's extremely unlikely that Android is outselling Apple nearly 3 to 1.

Quote:

Which is why you're filtering out the fact that Apple has been growing at double digit rates - in spite of the margins they charge. And the fact that even with attractive margins, no one else seems to be able to beat the iPad or MBA price point with a comparable device.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #25 of 93
Quote:

Yes, sure.

A bit like Next who warranted that quality but was never able to sell a single box because of it's price point. And surely, let's just forget about the fact that customers could easily switch between manufacturers thanks to an open system (though not necessarily as good as the closed system).

While clutching his knees to his chest and rocking back and forth in the corner he could be heard mumbling "Apple may be doing better than anyone else but they might still screw it up".
post #26 of 93
Quote:

By making even less profit then they did before. Apple went from barely 1/2 the industry profits to early 2/3. Motorolla is losing money, how long do you suppose that is sustainable?
post #27 of 93
Quote:

I guess that must be another argument

It would be nearly impossible for Apple and the iPhone to do any better, they sell as fast as they can be made. My argument has been obvious from the start. Apple is in the catbird seat.
post #28 of 93
Quote:

Well, just before they went broke, they had the largest margins and they were one of the largest PC-makers as well.

They never went broke .... but nice try.
post #29 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

The iPhone is over 50% of iOS device sales so even if you add all the iOS devices together Android would still be ahead although not by nearly as much..

The last quarter shows the iPhone being less than 50% of their unit sales.

Quote:

That's not true.

Quote:

Yes… yes you do.

Quote:

No reasonable people said that. The majority suggested that a modern mobile OS open to all vendors would dominate the market. What is amazing is how poorly designed Android is that all the vendors using Android as an OS can't even topple Apple's position in the market.

Quote:

IFor the first time, Android is eating up Apple's market share.

No, no it's not. Apple's marketshare in units and profits are growing, not shrinking.

Quote:

Yes. See cgrisar's posts for examples.

Quote:

Well, just before they went broke, they had the largest margins and they were one of the largest PC-makers as well.

They didn't go broke. They still have the largest margins and take in 2/3 of the PC industries profits from Macs, 2/3 from the handset industry, and are probably over 90% for the tablet industry. Yet despite this they are growing their company and increasing their position even though you claim that are some how faltering. That facts don't back up anything you've stated.

Quote:
Again, don't blame me, I have an iPhone, an iMac, an iPad. Talk to the people who don't understand they bought crap.

WTF is with the people who think that saying "Apple is crap, I should know I buy all their shit" is a reasonable or sane argument?

PS: Can you name one smartphone that has sold more units than the iPhone 4.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #30 of 93
Quote:

A disjointed product line with extremely poor differentiation without anything being class leading to justify a higher profit margin brought Apple to the brink of bankruptcy. I guess we remember only what we want to remember.
post #31 of 93
Quote:

Only how an Android fandroid would remember things. Most sites assumed Apple would never ever end up with majority market share and some integrated platform would end up with a larger profit share. But the products would be a race to the bottom with little to no profit.

Even now, I want to know where all these supposed Android handsets are. They are not represented in app downloads. They are not represented in web traffic. They are not represented in use in WiFi nets. There is an amazing amount of "non-use" of all these Android handsets.

How is this not true?
post #32 of 93
Quote:

How do you call a situation when you're in debt, no reserves in capital and burning cash?
Hey, fine by me. If you want me to say they never went broke, here you have it: They never "went broke".
Again, I'm perfectly OK with it. I made my point, whilst you, euh, well you didn't.

Is there anyone here who thinks cgrisar made a point? Maybe someone else can explain it to me. Go slow, I'm no rocket surgeon.
post #33 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

A disjointed product line with extremely poor differentiation without anything being class leading to justify a higher profit margin brought Apple to the brink of bankruptcy. I guess we remember only what we want to remember.

Exactly
post #34 of 93
Quote:

How do you call a situation when you're in debt, no reserves in capital and burning cash?
Hey, fine by me. If you want me to say they never went broke, here you have it: They never "went broke".
Again, I'm perfectly OK with it. I made my point, whilst you, euh, well you didn't.

They were so broke the couldn't buy NeXT. Oh wait, the opposite of that.

Being near bankruptcy and being broke are not the same thing. You think they are the she thing but you also think that all flavors of Android are the same thing so it's not like you are good at sweating the details.
post #35 of 93
Quote:

And Android keeps loosing profit and sales share hand over fist to Apple. Only a novice looks at a single value as a measurement of success.
post #36 of 93
Quote:

Yes, sure.

"... never able to sell a single box"???

Ever hear of out lying? You sem to have that one down.
post #37 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

And Android keeps loosing profit and sales share hand over fist to Apple. Only a novice looks at a single value as a measurement of success.

"Sales share" is "market share" or it is another thing?
post #38 of 93
Quote:

I don't know! Do you?

So they could keep up the current losses for several quarters. Trouble is, once you go in the red, the carriers descend on you like a pack of rabid hounds from the gates of hades. To get favorable marketing placement, you have to give more and more concessions. This drives you further into the red.
post #39 of 93
Quote:

OK, OK They sold a box or two, maybe three.
In fact, Next was a hugely profitable company thanks to it's high margins warranted by a superior quality of the products they made.

Or three? More lies or extreme hyperbola? The NeXT cubes and pizza boxes were huge success stories mostly due to very high prices. But if they only sold 3, I had 300% of all their production at one point in time.

Darn that NeXT Dimension was a sweet box at the time.

Oh snap.
post #40 of 93
Quote:

I'm sorry, did you actually mean anything or is it just you saying black when I'm saying white and vica-versa?

If you have a point that hasn't been disproven already I'd like to hear it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Canalys: Apple's iOS now world's 2nd largest smartphone platform