or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iPad competitors still can't match Apple's design efficiencies

iPad competitors still can't match Apple's design efficiencies - Page 2

post #41 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Not really, Apple has been very dishonest here in not publicly stating how much RAM is in the various iPad models. This data is valid for comparison within a family of devices.

Dishonest by not considering a spec sheet listing for a handheld device they think is important for the sale of their device? You'll have to explain that argument in detail.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #42 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

...I have owned both iPad 1 and 2, and even with 512MB in the iPad 2, web browsing is horrible - and I won't accept Apple fanbois (of which I am one when they yet things right, such as the MB Air 11"), but 1. Scrolling on a web page is nasty with iPad Safari - the content jumps back up to the top if some content is still loading, something that never happens on any other browser.

I only disagree here because you blame it on RAM. Frankly you don't know and neither do I, but it could very well be a programming problem. Notably I've seen similar behavior on the desktop. So I'm thinking Apple released a funky Safari.
Quote:
2) Worse, and some of us thought this would be cured with iPad 2, content keeps reloading every time you switch pages - this causes havoc if you are posting comments, logged into a service, or just want to go back read something you loaded earlier, but do NOT want updated because the content may change.

Yep but do realize that more RAM did help some here.
Quote:
Apple are doing this on purpose to force people who NEED their products to work properly to upgrade.

Paranoia?
Quote:
I am willing to bet iPad 3 will NOT do this, yet every Android tablet I know, including those costing just £70 are able to open MULTIPLE web pages properly.

Who knows what iPad 3 or iOS will do. I'm certain a few developers know by now but the point is neither you nor I know anything about how the new hardware and software will behave. I'd suggest that it will get better for the most part but regressions do happen.
Quote:
I am VERY angry at Apple for manipulating their customers and glad that I can remain impartial and not be brainwashed, despite having owned almost every computer or iOS product they have ever made, other than PowerMac or Mac Pro.

No actually you have brainwashed yourself into believing that the engineers at Apple have some evil ill defined intent to personally trouble you. I'm extremely sure that nobody at Apple wants clunky software going out the door, but it does happen because sooner or later you have to ship product.
Quote:
I expect this massive usability flaw in iOS for iPad Safari to be fixed in iOS 5 else I am selling the iPad 2 and getting a Motorola Xoom, LG or Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Do you promise to leave the forums if you do so?
post #43 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

More RAM won't make the CPU process faster or make the battery last longer.

RAM helps is a couple of ways here. First it reduces runs to secondary store so you gain by quicker access to data and fewer moments waiting for data to load to RAM. This also impacts battery life for the same reasons. Now the difference here is that the secondary store (flash) in the iPad is much faster and generally lower power than similar hardware in more traditional systems. Beyond that if data can be maintained in RAM less sophisticated algorithms are required to process it.

The other thing to realize is that we are already dual core on iPad. That means the app can be doing more things in parallel which of course is only effective if data is in RAM.

RAM is a beautiful thing.
post #44 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Asus looks like the value leader based on that table...

That's about the only 'leader' it apparently is.....
post #45 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

iOS uses a more modern rendering engine than Android. Animations are much smoother which makes over all system performance feel snappier!

I think a lot of people underestimate just how much foresight Apple had here. iOS or back then iPhone OS, had the advantage of very good hardware acceleration right from the start. This has given Apple a huge leg up over the competition every step of the way as they did an extremely good job with the imagining system in iOS.

As a side not it has been said that engineers and managers at RIM (or one of the old line phone companies) didn't believe Apples commercials when the iPhone first debuted. They literally thought it was a fake that what they where doing on the platform was impossible. It is no wonder that everyone is still playing catch up.
post #46 of 79
Don't you think keeping major changes like this from your buyers is a bit dishonest. It is no different than putting a Buick engine in a Chevy.

I really don't have to expelling anything. Just realize that being an informed consumer is a good thing.

Quote:

Dishonest by not considering a spec sheet listing for a handheld device they think is important for the sale of their device? You'll have to explain that argument in detail.
post #47 of 79
Sorry to burst your bubble, but this doesn't happen to me on my iPad2. I don't seem to experience any of these problems and generally prefer the web on this device for overall viewing.

Quote:
... Scrolling on a web page is nasty with iPad Safari - the content jumps back up to the top if some content is still loading, something that never happens on any other browser...
post #48 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

Me, I wish I could pay another $14 and get real multitasking.

What is real multitasking?
post #49 of 79
Quote:

Not really, Apple has been very dishonest here in not publicly stating how much RAM is in the various iPad models. This data is valid for comparison within a family of devices.

I'm not quite sure the typical consumer would understand. They like to know that everything is normalized across platforms and with RAM or rather an OS' ability to maximize RAM it's a bit harder to glean what 1GB of RAM means to a Windows, WebOS, iOS or Android tablet.

I like how Apple doesn't focus heavily on specs. Had I looked at the spec sheet for the late 2010 Macbook Air I would have scoffed. Core 2 Duo running at 1.4. Glacial.

In practice though the Macbook Air defies conventional wisdom and performs above its specs IMO.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #50 of 79
Quote:

More RAM won't make the CPU process faster or make the battery last longer.

Is the CPU really the bottleneck? I didn't realize.
post #51 of 79
Quote:

I figured his mention of price was a veiled comment about how the competitors have double the RAM.

Yes. The stuff I quoted said that the RAM is 256M, saving $14.00.

I suspect that one big reason for not letting background apps run is insufficient RAM. I think your opinion is that the CPU couldn't handle it elegantly.

Maybe you are right, but if the reason is RAM, then like I said, I'd rather pay an extra $14 dollars and get more complete multitasking abilities in return.
post #52 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Oh give it a rest.
Apple is SOOO MEAN! They just want to screw everyone, blah blah blah.

I have no idea what you mean when you talk about sluggish browsing. Even on iPad 1 I found it more enjoyable than on desktops, and heads and tails above any other touch device I've tried.

BTW, Apple is A company, not a group of companies, so its "Apple IS", not "Apple ARE".
You don't say 'Great Britain ARE' do you?

APPLE 'IS' as APPLE 'DOES' and they DO IT PROPERLY
(that's a song one of my best friends produced back in the 90's
The name of the group was "2 Puertoricans a Black Man and a Dominican")
My BFF was the Dominican- CHEP NUNEZ may he RIP!!!)

RIP HIM A NEW G C B I was going to but u did the honors!!
post #53 of 79
Quote:

...I have owned both iPad 1 and 2, and even with 512MB in the iPad 2, web browsing is horrible - and I won't accept Apple fanbois (of which I am one when they yet things right, such as the MB Air 11"), but 1. Scrolling on a web page is nasty with iPad Safari - the content jumps back up to the top if some content is still loading, something that never happens on any other browser. 2) Worse, and some of us thought this would be cured with iPad 2, content keeps reloading every time you switch pages - this causes havoc if you are posting comments, logged into a service, or just want to go back read something you loaded earlier, but do NOT want updated because the content may change.

Apple are doing this on purpose to force people who NEED their products to work properly to upgrade. I am willing to bet iPad 3 will NOT do this, yet every Android tablet I know, including those costing just £70 are able to open MULTIPLE web pages properly.

I am VERY angry at Apple for manipulating their customers and glad that I can remain impartial and not be brainwashed, despite having owned almost every computer or iOS product they have ever made, other than PowerMac or Mac Pro.

I expect this massive usability flaw in iOS for iPad Safari to be fixed in iOS 5 else I am selling the iPad 2 and getting a Motorola Xoom, LG or Samsung Galaxy Tab.

There's a such thing as doing your due diligence before going out and plunking down $500 on something.
post #54 of 79
Quote:

I suspect that one big reason for not letting background apps run is insufficient RAM. I think your opinion is that the CPU couldn't handle it elegantly.

Maybe you are right, but if the reason is RAM, then like I said, I'd rather pay an extra $14 dollars and get more complete multitasking abilities in return.

Pay nothing, jailbreak your device, and add unfettered multitasking yourself.
post #55 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvswarup View Post

There's a such thing as doing your due diligence before going out and plunking down $500 on something.

He also had the option of buying it, trying it, and returning it without a restocking fee if he felt the product didn't suit his needs at that time.
post #56 of 79
Quote:

It may be crass but it is true and the iPad demonstrates clearly that Java sucks and needs considerable hardware to support. It isn't that the Java runtime slows things down, even though it does, it is that the JVM and support takes up a considerable amount of RAM. When Apple doubled the RAM in the iPad almost all of that went to supporting apps on the device.

Also Apple puts very tight controls on what runs in back ground. Now this may be a bad thing if you have an app you actually want to run in background it does mean that again more memory is there to support the app. On top of that Apple isn't supporting a lot of anything in the kernel, thus no drivers taking up RAM. So in the end it is all about how the system uses the facilities available to it.

In the end Androids problems run far deeper than just being based on a Java like VM. Fundamentally it is a rushed product, driven by people with no vision. Apple on the other hand had a vision right from the start. For example the very first iPhone made extensive use of the GPU on the chip, on Android it is a choice of the hardware vendor.

In any event we still have Playbook and WebOS devices. Maybe WebOS can find a good steward to move it forward, Playbook is dead also unless RIM gets new management.

Refusing to reveal RAM is being "dishonest?" How is Apple lying to you about the amount of RAM the iPad has? Apple didn't even tell you that to begin with. Refusing to reveal something is not being dishonest.
post #57 of 79
Other manufacturers tout 1GB because they are living in the last century. 1GB, demonstrably, doesn't matter. I'd say the marketing geniuses at Apples competitors have nothing else to offer.
post #58 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Adios. Don't let the door hit you on the way out....or better yet, let it.

Is that really the best you guys can offer as an answer? Because, honestly, sometimes is much better to say nothing and look smart.

While OP did get a bit emotional with his post, there's a point there. On my iPhone sometimes even opening only 2 pages forces browser to reload page whenever switching from one to another. And yes, it can be annoying.
post #59 of 79
Quote:

Don't you think keeping major changes like this from your buyers is a bit dishonest. It is no different than putting a Buick engine in a Chevy.

I really don't have to expelling anything. Just realize that being an informed consumer is a good thing.

I don't know what it is about expelling, but I don't think it's dishonest. A customer informed about the internal RAM doesn't help them make a decision, it's just another data point to fuss about that obscures the gestalt of the device. The specs of the silicon doesn't necessarily help people understand how well put together anything is or isn't. If you want to continue the tired auto metaphor, having more horsepower doesn't mean anything if your suspension is rubbish and you can't put the power to the pavement well, or if your gas tank has an apparent leak in it or if the transmission robs more than half te engine's power. Higher speed doesn't mean much if all it does is over/understeers and the car plants itself into a tree.

Quote:

The problem is that "real" multitasking as it is done on modern operating systems carries with it battery life penalties. My buddy's Android with a 2" or so screen with an extended battery making the whole phone 3/4" thick can't last as long as my iPhone 4 that's half as thick and has a much bigger screen.

Having stuff like Java, Flash, full real multitasking are often demanded features that seems to be a large part of why the actual battery life on Android devices tends to be poor. Java I get the least anyway, I've not actually used it on any computer in quite some time.
post #60 of 79
Quote:

How does updating improved RAM become a downgrade as you're eluding by putting a Buick engine in place of a 350 Small block?

At any rate, who needs to advertise a 350 Small block now with Corvette heads when demand outstrips supply?
post #61 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Adios. Don't let the door hit you on the way out....or better yet, let it.

Sure you are...
post #62 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The iPad sucks!

My Android tablet is only 2.9 inches thick, weighs 3.2 lbs., has 4 gigs of memory and it's made from laptop parts. This makes it very easy for me to fix it when it needs fixing, and heaven knows, it needs a hell of a lot of fixing. That is one particular feature which sure comes in handy. I happen to walk around with a screwdriver in my pocket, just in case. It also has a super fast 1.8 Ghz quad core processor which means that it only stutters and freezes once every 20 seconds.

Did I mention that my Android tablet has Flash! Yes, that's right you Apple fanbois and fangirls, it has Flash. I am a huge loser and the opposite sex won't even give me the time of day, so I spend most of my time on Facebook playing Farmville. I don't even dream about girls anymore, I now fantasize about having sex with cows. As you can tell by my tablet choice, I'm a picky person, so I won't just settle for any old cow, I prefer white cows with brown spots on them.

And yes, iOS has a ton more apps available than Android, I admit that, but who needs apps anyway? Even though the apps that I have on Android look like they were designed by a blind 5 year old, mentally disabled child, I am more than happy with the offering available on Android. I am also a huge cheapskate, and I don't mind ads at all. I have only spent $1.99 for all of my apps put together.

So there you have it Apple fanbois and girls, I highly suggest that you abandon the closed iOS environment and enter the laggy, choppy, ad plagued, malware infested, inferior performance and amateur app world of Android like I have done. Trust me, you will not regret it.

Oh us Apple fans sure miss the opportunity for the viruses...
post #63 of 79
Apple spent years of R&D and hard work on these iOS products stemming from their very first mass consumed mobile product the iPod... They took their time to perfect the game on the iPhone and then learned everything from that to apply on to the iPad. The competition just copied... can't remember when was the last time they brought out a new product and defined a new class of devices?
post #64 of 79
Quote:

...I am VERY angry at Apple for manipulating their customers . . . I expect this massive usability flaw in iOS for iPad Safari to be fixed in iOS 5 else I am selling the iPad 2 and getting a Motorola Xoom, LG or Samsung Galaxy Tab.

I have the MacBook 2.16 and it has to have its keyboard unit replaced every nine or ten months. My warranty is up but the Apple Genius informed me the problem was acknowledged by Apple and I would continue to receive courtesy replacements for as long as I owned it. I don't count that as Apple manipulating their customers. Replacements are a hassle but having to use a myriad of Windows systems and computers at work, I know when I am better off, even with the buggered keyboard hassle. I foolishly mentioned my prob at work and the M$ regularly bring it up and wonder when I am getting a Windows machine. Funny that I am the one they seek out when problems occur on their machines but other than the keyboard, I have never had the problems with any Apple OS or 6 computers that I have owned.

I know over three dozen iPad owners and I have not met one who was dissatisfied.

I suspect you will be much happier with the Xoom. And from what I have read on an Xoom support forum, you will have lots of help should you find it not to your total satisfaction.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

post #65 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Is that really the best you guys can offer as an answer? Because, honestly, sometimes is much better to say nothing and look smart.

While OP did get a bit emotional with his post, there's a point there. On my iPhone sometimes even opening only 2 pages forces browser to reload page whenever switching from one to another. And yes, it can be annoying.

Not sure why no one has mentioned this (or maybe I missed it), but one of the touted features of iOS5 is tabbed browsing on the iPad. I assume this should handle the re-loading of pages when moving between them.

I myself find it a little inconvienent, especially since pages do not load in the background. But I think iOS5 will fix that.

I'm not too sure if the "going back to the top while loading" will be fixed or not.
post #66 of 79
Quote:

...I have owned both iPad 1 and 2, and even with 512MB in the iPad 2, web browsing is horrible - and I won't accept Apple fanbois (of which I am one when they yet things right, such as the MB Air 11"), but 1. Scrolling on a web page is nasty with iPad Safari - the content jumps back up to the top if some content is still loading, something that never happens on any other browser. 2) Worse, and some of us thought this would be cured with iPad 2, content keeps reloading every time you switch pages - this causes havoc if you are posting comments, logged into a service, or just want to go back read something you loaded earlier, but do NOT want updated because the content may change.

Apple are doing this on purpose to force people who NEED their products to work properly to upgrade. I am willing to bet iPad 3 will NOT do this, yet every Android tablet I know, including those costing just £70 are able to open MULTIPLE web pages properly.

I read a review somewhere that claimed apple fixed this problem in iOS 5, can't confirm it... but am sure I did...
post #67 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

The problem with Safari is an annoying one, no doubt about that. As solipsism noted, fixed in iOS 5. I didn't go back and reread all those replies, but I don't think anyone was defending the problem. I think the objection is calling the whole device rubbish because of the Safari problem. It's not a hardware problem, it is baffling why it was allowed to continue for so long.
post #68 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbati View Post

I read a review somewhere that claimed apple fixed this problem in iOS 5, can't confirm it... but am sure I did...

Nope. Still does it.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #69 of 79
One decent reason for more RAM might be the ability to open large pdfs in ibooks without splitting the document
post #70 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

One decent reason for more RAM might be the ability to open large pdfs in ibooks without splitting the document

iBooks can open PDFs over double the size of the amount of RAM in the system, so I don't see what this has to do with anything.

post #71 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

iBooks can open PDFs over double the size of the amount of RAM in the system, so I don't see what this has to do with anything.

Well in my case iBooks choked on a multi gig design document that I would have rather reviewed on my ipad rather than printing out 100+ pages or reading on a desktop

I realize that it's an extreme case and just assumed that RAM was the limiting factor here and thought nothing of it since
post #72 of 79
Quote:

Well in my case iBooks choked on a multi gig design document that I would have rather reviewed on my ipad rather than printing out 100+ pages or reading on a desktop

How multi was multi-gig? Over 5? I see over 5 being a problem.

post #73 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How multi was multi-gig? Over 5? I see over 5 being a problem.

It was two or three I believe. I don't really remember which one it was exactly or I'd go and double check
post #74 of 79
Quote:

As a side not it has been said that engineers and managers at RIM (or one of the old line phone companies) didn't believe Apples commercials when the iPhone first debuted. They literally thought it was a fake that what they where doing on the platform was impossible. It is no wonder that everyone is still playing catch up.

All the iPhone commercials actually are faked. When they say "sequences were shortened", what they mean is that "the phone can't actually do all these things this quickly, but the ad would look a bit lame if we actually had to wait for these apps to load"

15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
post #75 of 79
Quote:

I don't think public knowledge of the amount of RAM in the iPad is required. Apple is very clear about what devices support which software / OS features. Knowing a device has 1GB of ram vs 512MB doesn't help the end user figure out what the device will do or how it will perform. App/Device compatibility and supported features per device are published on an app's page in the App Store are more beneficial to the end user.

Computers and other devices are moving outside of the world of techies and geeks. Being dependent on knowing the amount af ram in a system and other specs will be a thing of the past. Sure in systems where you can increase it more will always be beneficial but that isn't always needed now as most things ship with enough ram to do most things people will need. Instead of looking at a piece of software that requires at a minimum a 2Ghz Dual Core processor, 1 GB of disk space, 2Gb of Ram and a super fancy video card all you will need to know is if it works on your device or doesn't work on your device and that is exactly what you get wit the iPad now.
post #76 of 79
Quote:

It was two or three I believe. I don't really remember which one it was exactly or I'd go and double check

I don't know if doubling the memory will fix that. It might just be that they never expected to read PDFs several gigabytes in size and never tested one that large. If they're your documents, it might help to make sure images don't have an excessive DPI, there might even be software that can process an entire PDF to cut the DPI of raster images to realistic figures, keeping file sizes and render times to a manageable level.
post #77 of 79
It is truly fascinating to me how far out in front the iPad 2 is compared to the rest of the tablet world. It's spreading so much in it's reach too. People are using the iPad for just about everything they were previously using a notebook or laptop for. I saw on a tech blog earlier this week that the federal government is actually giving tax incentives for doctors who use certain iPad apps to move their medical practice billing online. Of course, now that Apple technically has more money than Uncle Sam...maybe they should be the one passing out the incentives! I'll line up for mine.
post #78 of 79
I am willing to bet iPad 3 will NOT do this, yet every Android tablet I know, including those costing just £70 are able to open MULTIPLE web pages properly.
post #79 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

iOS uses a more modern rendering engine than Android. Animations are much smoother which makes over all system performance feel snappier!

There's a good explanation of this here

Quote:
For instance. The rendering system, that is, the method by which UI widgets like menus and buttons and such get painted on the screen, is primarily software-based.

What does that mean? Lets take the screenshot above as an example. If you pressed the Down key, you would expect the Homepage entry to be selected instead of Go to. So you press the Down key. This causes an invalidate, meaning, please repaint the screen. So the screen is cleared, then:

The OS redraws the status bar at the top
The WebView redraws the Google.com website
The Menu draws its translucent black background and border
All the menu text is drawn
The blue gradient highlight is drawn over Homepage.
This all happens very quickly, and you only ever see the final result, so it looks like just a few pixels have changed, but in fact the whole screen must be reconsidered and redrawn.

If this sounds familiar, its because this is the basic method used in GDI, the rendering system introduced with Microsoft Windows 1.0. That sounds damning, but really most GUIs operated this way.

Until the iPhone came along

When youre using an iPhone, youre playing a hardware-accelerated 3D game. You know, the kind of 3D where everything is made out of hundreds of little triangles.

When you flick through your list of friends in the Contacts app, youre causing those triangles to move around. And theres a camera, just like a 3D shooter, but the camera is fixed above the Contacts apps virtual surface and so it appears 2D.

Which is a long way of saying that everything on iOS is drawn using OpenGL. This is why animation on iOS is so hopelessly fast. You may have noticed that -drawRect is not called for each frame of an animation. Its called once, then you draw your lines and circles and text onto an OpenGL surface (which you didnt even realize), then Core Animation moves these surfaces around like pulling on the strings of a marionette. All the final compositing for each frame is done in hardware by the GPU.

Android seems to have made the decision early on that they wouldnt force their manufacturing partners to include a GPU. This decision made total sense back in the pre-iPhone days, but now its causing pain, as even the new hardware acceleration in Android 3.0 is limited by the original software-based compositing system.

So heres the catch with the wonderful flexible layout system in Android: You must be very careful. If you animate certain kinds of properties, you can easily force the CPU to do all that fancy, expensive layout on each animation frame. And the CPU is very busy right now parsing some JSON from a web API or something, OK?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iPad competitors still can't match Apple's design efficiencies