Originally Posted by emig647
While there being a million other things like that, that is the most important one. Without a usable file system, there won't be a need to use a computer.
Assume this happens, how would ANY professional work be done on a computer? Programming, Video Editing, Audio Processing, Desktop Publishing... without easy access to files you essentially kill the professional use of a computer. If Apple went this way, I'd be out, after 17 years.
First: iOS and OSX share a common file system -- it is just hidden on iOS (and sandboxed).
But, Apple is making the first tentative steps to reducing user-dependency/and interaction with the OSX file system. Things like:
1) the documents and download stacks in the dock
3) Media browsers that allow you to access other app's files within an app
4) Predefined locations within the file system for certain types of files -- first iMovie, now FCP X and Motion 5
6) file metadata
7) file versioning
8) Smart Folders/Collections
9) large external storage repositories -- RAID, NAS, SAN
12) intelligent file share (export) options which allow the app/OS to gather and package associated interdependent files -- for example FCP X allows you to gather a project, its media files (events), render files, etc. and distribute it as a self-contained package.
13) SQL-based file repository replacing XML
There are some very subtle changes being made within the OS and the apps, themselves. Access to the files information via SQL rather than XML or hierarchical drill-down.
At some point we users will realize that we do not need to know (or care) where the file is just as long as we can access it -- we have computers that can do the grunge/munge work.
Apple already knows this!
EDIT: Oops... forgot that Lion hides ~/Library
I suspect that the UNIX file system will be with us until a superior system is developed...
And, I can remember back far enough -- when real men had to remember (or keep a list) in which drawers of which file cabinets his punch-card data files were stored.
That was over 50 years ago -- and we still retrieve files in much the same way!
Now, where did I put that damned Lion install DVD....