or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Encryption in X?

Encryption in X?

post #1 of 9
I asked this question over at BF, and I have not yet heard an answer.

Is there encryption in OS X, finder-level or otherwise? If not, is there a good utility anyone would suggest?

Thanks,

Mandricard
Appleoutsider
Hope Springs Eternal,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
Hope Springs Eternal,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
post #2 of 9
All I know is that the folks at the IconFactory have created <a href="http://design.iconfactory.com/pages/OSX/pgp.html" target="_blank">OS X icons</a> for PGP Desktop. Whether this is available now and where to get this I cannot say.

PS:

<a href="http://www.securemac.com/" target="_blank">http://www.securemac.com/</a>

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
post #3 of 9
You can use Disk Copy to create a disk image, then encrypt the disk image.

It uses AES-128 encryption (whatever that is) and is integrated with the Keychain.
- Mojo the Monkey
- Mojo the Monkey
post #4 of 9
You could also run Stuffit Deluxe (if you have it) and select encryption as an option when compressing a file. Note, if you encrypt and compress a folder you can still see the names of the individual files in stuffit.
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
post #5 of 9
Thanks folks, so finder-level encryption is just gone?

Mandricard
AppleOutsider
Hope Springs Eternal,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
Hope Springs Eternal,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
post #6 of 9
Finder level encryption is something that I've been wanting in OS X, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere. I really think Apple should put it back, it can be really useful at times.

&lt;goes off to the good ol' feedback page&gt;

[EDIT: Changed anything to anywhere]

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: MacAgent ]</p>
post #7 of 9
[quote]Originally posted by Mojo the Monkey:
<strong>You can use Disk Copy to create a disk image, then encrypt the disk image.

It uses AES-128 encryption (whatever that is) and is integrated with the Keychain.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The advantage that Disk Copy encryption has over OS 9-style encryption is that you can archive directories, not just individual files. I use it to keep prying eyes from whole directories, cuz I don't always like to log out completely.
post #8 of 9
Hmm, I'll have to try that. How exactly do I do that?
post #9 of 9
I am sure that there are at least a couple of Unix encryption tools you can use as well. Anyone care to answer that one?
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Encryption in X?