or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › 'Stagnant' 2011 PC ecosystem viewed as opportunity for Apple to make gains

'Stagnant' 2011 PC ecosystem viewed as opportunity for Apple to make gains - Page 2

post #41 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You make some very good points!

I have an older 17" AluBook that replaced my TiBook,

I haven't used it (other than to recharge its extra batteries) since I got the iP1 in 2007. The iPad just cemented the deal,

With the iPad and something like SplashTop (or other VNC) you have access to your home or office desktop -- and all the apps, content and data they contain

The laptop is the odd-man-out!

I agree. The iPad can do about 80=90% of what a laptop can do. With a little help from iCloud and Apple letting people have a airdrop without having to connect he damn cable these are becoming a "laptop like device"...

When people as me about my iPad I still tell them the same thing. Right now:

The iPad is the best PDA, Media player and content viewer ever produced....

The iPad is one of the worst laptops you can buy right now....

Yes you can use dropbox, airdrop and eventually iCloud to help transfer files, but I still cannot move files as easily as I can on a laptop. The lack of a file system is a major lmitation of the iPad. The problem with dropbox and iCloud is that they can be slow and only work when you are connected to the internet. Airdrop only works with Apple devices. Sometimes you need to copy a file from your iPad to a Windows PC for example and do not have internet access.... Like it or not, there are billions of Windows PC's out there and we need to have non internet file sharing access with them.

To me, this is the only major roadblock in the Laptop to iPad migration....
post #42 of 56
deleted
post #43 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

I hope Apple's margins are as high on their iPads as they are on their MacBook Pros....

Very astute observation. How many sales of MacBook Pros do you think Apple has lost since selling 30 million iPads?
post #44 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

Very astute observation. How many sales of MacBook Pros do you think Apple has lost since selling 30 million iPads?

How many sales of iPads has Apple made since reinventing the tablet market? How many notebook and netbook sales has Apple halted from competition since reinventing the tablet market? I'd say there iPad is a plus for the company, not a negative. They are, after all, selling more Macs than ever before whilst reenforcing their ecosystem across devices.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #45 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How many sales of iPads has Apple made since reinventing the tablet market? How many notebook and netbook sales has Apple halted from competition since reinventing the tablet market? I'd say there iPad is a plus for the company, not a negative. They are, after all, selling more Macs than ever before whilst reenforcing their ecosystem across devices.

Yeah, AIR, those pesky iPads (which are still not in supply/demand balance worldwide) are only earning Apple 32% GM...

Apple needs to be much more careful where it expends its resources...
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #46 of 56
Quote:

I was responding to Rulez. Do I really knead the sarcasm tags?
post #47 of 56
Quote:

I was responding to Rulez. Do I really knead the sarcasm tags?

Mea culpa. That's the problem with sarcasm; it's not always noticed.
post #48 of 56
Quote:

Mea culpa. That's the problem with sarcasm; it's not always noticed.

I was hoping to tease out a reply.. And then counter with a <hyperbole> stunning response utilising my rapier like wit. </hyperbole>
post #49 of 56
Quote:

I was hoping to tease out a reply.. And then counter with a <hyperbole> stunning response utilising my rapier like wit. </hyperbole>

What's all this talk about a wet raper... Or was that a wet realtor?

post #50 of 56
Ya' know... I usually try to avoid politics (non-winner in public and private conversations).

But, why aren't our fuzzy-assed/brained polititions back in Washington working to solve the problems of the economy -- rather than their own damned [fucking] (and I mean that) re-election?

/pontificate

They are on a five-week taxpayer-paid vacation...

How many of us can afford any vacation -- regardless of who pays?

post #51 of 56
Quote:

Ya' know... I usually try to avoid politics (non-winner in public and private conversations).

But, why aren't our fuzzy-assed/brained polititions back in Washington working to solve the problems of the economy -- rather than their own damned [fucking] (and I mean that) re-election?

/pontificate

Don't be sad, there is a single bright spot in the otherwise miserable political landscape. News Corp may be facing a RICO investigation.

http://www.adweek.com/print/133928
post #52 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Don't be sad, there is a single bright spot in the otherwise miserable political landscape. News Corp may be facing a RICO investigation.

http://www.adweek.com/print/133928

As most of your posts, that does nothing to address the problem -- just changes the subject.

I will agree to not conment on your responses to my posts... And ignore yours...

post #53 of 56
Quote:

As most of your posts, that does nothing to address the problem -- just changes the subject.

I will agree to not conment on your responses to my posts... And ignore yours...

In this instance I was intentionally changing the subject, because the subject you had raised was so depressing. It's also rather hypocritical for you to complain when your own post was itself completely changing the subject.

In fact my post was far more relevant to your post than your post was to the thread. A good part of the reason that the US political system is so dysfunctional is the pernicious influence of news organs such as Fox News. A felony conviction of News Corp could have far reaching consequences. Fox News only seeks to demonize opponents and never honestly engages ideas, maybe that's why you are a little touchy about the subject now I think about it.
post #54 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

So while I agree that Apple is kicking a-- in this market segment, it's only a matter of time before Apple's premium price strategy wears out as more competitors enter this pricing and functionality space.

The HP Tablet, which had a price cut to $399 is one such unit which can - possibly - win back market share and grow this segment. As much as fanboys HATE anyone/any company affiliated with Microsoft, competition fosters innovations. Whether you like or hate the new HP unit... it's $100 less. And one day may be $200 less. And at that point... people will ask... to surf the net, email, etc.... is it worth Apple's $499+ premium price?

Nice try, but there's no evidence whatsoever that Apple is charging a premium for the iPad. In fact, all evidence points to the opposite. Every single vendor has released their tablets at the same price points for comparable models. Citing the HP example where they are clearly discounting to deplete inventory is hardly a relevant data point. Just look at the launch pricing for their device.

The real problem for most Apple competitors is that there appears to be a perfect storm brewing - consumers desiring a more "sexy" or innovative product and Apple's dominance in the design of such products, plus Apple's overall expertise in their supply chain management. In the newer product categories (iPad and Air) they are either matching or beating (based on the Ultrabook stories coming out) the ability of competitors for comparable devices in the same price points. All while achieving staggering margins. Unless one of these companies has something in hidden development, there's no reasonable basis for expecting a change in the current trend ... which is up for Apple and down for others.
post #55 of 56
deleted
post #56 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

And I was responding to danv2, who claims to "sell iPads for a living", Does he need sarcasm tags, or does he know what he's talking about?

Did danv2 say that ALL iPads were "replacing" notebooks? No.
Nid he say that iPads were "replacing" MacBook Pros? No.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › 'Stagnant' 2011 PC ecosystem viewed as opportunity for Apple to make gains