or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple simplifying Fifth Ave glass cube with larger, seamless panes

Apple simplifying Fifth Ave glass cube with larger, seamless panes - Page 2

post #41 of 61
The new glass will be "transition lens" type. As the sun comes up the glass will darken, at night it's clear!
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #42 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkindc View Post

What a joke. What about the waste involved? What about the environment, the energy and $6.7 M cost involved to make this replacement? Little wonder Apple's stockpile of money is returning such a low rate.

What is one of those 15 panels going to cost to replace if one of them is broken? Apple has stripped their London store because of the riots. Apple stores are broken into frequently in the US. Makes zero sense to me that such a small change is so important for someone's ego.

As a shareholder I would much rather see Apple spend that money on a plant to manufacture some of their products in the United States.

If you're really an AAPL shareholder, you really shouldn't be complaining. They are making tons of money, making your AAPL investment increase in value. They are updating an icon which makes tons of money a year too.

Methink you're a wannabe AAPL owner that wishes you owned AAPL.

Did you at least take advantage of the market crash to buy AAPL at reduced prices?
post #43 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Is that really necessary? Seems like a lot of work and expense for very little change in appearance.

gotta take the good with the bad
post #44 of 61
all hail the cube!
post #45 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

Just wondering why Steve would personally pay for this. it's not like Apple is short of cash, or anyone would disagree with him.

Well, I wish every CEO is like him. Paying for personal pet project with personal money instead of company money will do wonders for the company's welfare.
post #46 of 61
I hope it's gorilla glass.
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
post #47 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

I hope it's gorilla glass.

lol!

some sort of monkey material in any case...
post #48 of 61
Kind of unloaded on him a bit. From what I glean from his comment, I don't think he was making as extreme a point as the one you're arguing against.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

No. It was not necessary. So is not making Apple products out of pricey aluminum and glass when cheaper metallic-coated plastic and film could have been cheaper.

No, it was not necessary. So was not making a big, beautiful UFO building, wastefully surrounded by acres of trees when they could just have paved it with asphalt and put up generic-box buildings.

No, it was necessary. So was not trying to make products that not only function well, but are pleasing visually.

So what's your point? You want to live in ConcreteVille?

They got the money, they can afford it, it's providing jobs, and I've never been happier as an AAPL owner.

When you make your billions of dollars, go right ahead and do what you want with it.
post #49 of 61
Why does it say "seamless" when there are 10 seams clearly visible in the image?
post #50 of 61
you see my friends, although it does not matter that Steve Jobs puts this much effort and attention to detail to just one tiny aspect, imagine how much detail goes into building an apple computer? Apple much?
post #51 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I wonder what Apple will try to make out of glass next?

Dunno, but Apple is well advised not to throw stones...
post #52 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkindc View Post

What a joke. What about the waste involved? What about the environment, the energy and $6.7 M cost involved to make this replacement? Little wonder Apple's stockpile of money is returning such a low rate.

What is one of those 15 panels going to cost to replace if one of them is broken? Apple has stripped their London store because of the riots. Apple stores are broken into frequently in the US. Makes zero sense to me that such a small change is so important for someone's ego.

As a shareholder I would much rather see Apple spend that money on a plant to manufacture some of their products in the United States.

QQ What about the environment sad mother nature tears!! It's glass...it's made from sand...it's not that big of a deal. Yeah it takes energy but you probably use a lot more driving to work in a week. The amount of computer products sold in one hour in this store probably "damage the environment" a lot more than making one pane of this glass.

If you think about it, fewer cracks, thicker glass = better insulation.

As a shareholder you want Apple to manufacture in the US? So you want their profit margins to drop and your stock prices to drop? As a stockholder you are complaining about Apple's share performance? Honestly, Foxconn is about to replace many workers with robots, so in the near future where these consumer electronics are made mostly by machine, we will probably see some US consumer fabrication plants in the future to have a slight savings on shipping cost.

What does this have to do with the London riots? How is anyone going to break into it when it's open 24/7???? Wouldn't they just walk in with guns? Therefore glass = NOT BROKEN. BTW, do you know how much traffic this store gets? $6.7M isn't that much for a renovation of such a profitable store.

As others have mentioned, Steve probably just wants to take the original cube home! He paid for the first one so it's not like Apple actually made the initial investment. By the way, it hasn't been reported whether or not Steve paid for this himself, but a $6.7M store renovation investment isn't that much to pay for one of NYC's most photographed landmarks, open 24/7, probably one of Apple's most profitable stores.

And think of all these construction workers who are employed! American businesses have been stockpiling cash due to the recession and it's hurting the US economy...so Apple is doing the right thing here by SPENDING!

I'm sorry if I sound mean but you are just being a little silly in my opinion.
post #53 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I imagine some sort of conveyer is used for making such large panes. If so, that would be a reason why these panes are allowed to become longer on one axis. Having a furnace that is 40' wide isn't something I've yet read about.

Exactly. I don't think it requires know-how that needs to be invented.

This is one video that shows one way how it's made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4RzW2_vbHI

If I recall correctly from a different video on the same topic, a glass line like that is always running, and they never shut off the furnace because the glass would harden in the furnace, so it's constantly in production. They only shut it off when they replace the furnace, so they try to make it run for ten years then install a new furnace. Anyway, if a method like this is used, one size is constrained by the width of the line, the other is constrained by the handling equipment they use.
post #54 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by benny-boy View Post

Hi,
Wasn't there some stipulation back when the original cube was built that Jobs could take the cube in his possession at some point, having paid for it? Can anyone verify this? I remember thinking "what the hell is he going to do with that thing?" but perhaps his home is being constructed and he wants a little piece of Apple Retail history. Would make a great greenhouse, endless pool room, workout space, sunroom (!) etc.

I bet he's keeping it for himself.

The story as I remember it was that Steve wanted to keep the cube for himself if the store moved from the current location. Normally that is not how things work with commercial leases, so he made arrangements with the landlords so that he could remove it when Apple leaves that space. This is possible because he paid for it and owns it outright. I suppose he could remove it at any time he wished. That possibly is what is going on now, Steve wanted the cube for something and has taken possession and a new one is being installed with an upgrade.
post #55 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Bah - they could do that today if they wanted. The Monterey Aquarium has a single-pane window 15 feet x 54 feet, and that's having to hold back 1,000,000 gallons of water.

That's because Scotty helped them!
post #56 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

If I recall correctly from a different video on the same topic, a glass line like that is always running, and they never shut off the furnace because the glass would harden in the furnace, so it's constantly in production. They only shut it off when they replace the furnace, so they try to make it run for ten years then install a new furnace. Anyway, if a method like this is used, one size is constrained by the width of the line, the other is constrained by the handling equipment they use.

Saw something similar on Discovery Channel the other day! Very interesting. It burns a heck of a lot of natural gas to keep the furnace running. But all glass is virtually infinitely recyclable.

BTW that video you linked to... Somewhat strange background music.
post #57 of 61
Quote:

Thanks for the link, that's exactly how I imagined it would be.

Note the video said that factory made 3.3 meter width glass, or 10.823 feet. Apple needs panes at least 13.33 fee in width for a 40 foot sided cube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Saw something similar on Discovery Channel the other day! Very interesting. It burns a heck of a lot of natural gas to keep the furnace running. But all glass is virtually infinitely recyclable.

BTW that video you linked to... Somewhat strange background music.

That show is hard for me to watch because of the background music and way the info in presented.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #58 of 61
With all due respect to the idle speculation about the design and technology of glass, these are the talented designers and engineers that create the Apple Stores and of course the Cube:

http://www.bcj.com/public/projects/project/82.html
Peter Bohlin is a winner of the AIA Gold Medal

http://www.eckersleyocallaghan.com/p...ral-glass.html
These engineers specialize in high end glazing systems and support the work of visionaries like Bohlin and Jobs.

BCJ's relationship with Jobs goes back to early projects in Pittsburgh for NEXT and later for Pixars Headquarters. If you browse the site you will see the talent applied to more than just Apple.

Its not cvil engineering, Its not engineering, its ARCHITECTURE, the integration of a clients will, a designer's vision and the technical capacity to pull it off. Its about COLLABORATION...yes even Jobs collaborates despite the rhetoric and reputation to the contrary.
post #59 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Jobs has always been interested in architecture. It shows in his designs. I bet he'd like to make an impact in this area too.
Those are huge panes of glass. The horizontal ones are particularly impressive, suspending that much weight in glass. Now think about the new spaceship HQ in Cupertino and how it's not supposed to have any straight pieces of glass. If they can bend this size of glass it seems like it could be the outer skin on the spaceship.

I agree with the observation above that vanity seems to be more at work here than architecture. In both cases you mention, in fact. From the photos and renderings at least, I don't see the architectural advantages of these spans of glass unencumbered by visible joints. It's a cute trick, but not obviously more expressive of the architectural idea than the original. What's worse, removing a building that is just a few years old and replacing it with an almost identical new one can't be seen as anything but an expression of ego -- Uncle Steve's, of course.

Steve may be many things, but he is not an architect. Apple is a monument to him. He should leave the building designs to the pros.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #60 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That show is hard for me to watch because of the background music and way the info in presented.

It's pretty goofy. There are different versions of the show, I don't know if that's the Canadian edition. The editions I've seen in the US is different, but just as goofy. Different narrator, and you never see the host. They change the measuring units in the narration but forget to adjust them in the closed captioning.
post #61 of 61
Quote:

It's pretty goofy. There are different versions of the show, I don't know if that's the Canadian edition. The editions I've seen in the US is different, but just as goofy. Different narrator, and you never see the host. They change the measuring units in the narration but forget to adjust them in the closed captioning.

I've noticed that with MythBusters in the UK. It's a British announcer but I think the music/sounds are the same.

I much prefer Modern Marvels for the detail and scope for which they cover compared to the 5 minute coverage that How Things Are Made covers but each has their place. My only problem with Modern Marvels is they will sometimes mention etymology as part of the history they cover and it seems to almost always be incorrect, using sold oft said buy incorrect etymology. I'm sure most don't care but it grinds me.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple simplifying Fifth Ave glass cube with larger, seamless panes