or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple offers buyback program for old iPhone, iPad, Macs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple offers buyback program for old iPhone, iPad, Macs

post #1 of 41
Thread Starter 
Apple has enhanced its recycling program to add a new "reuse" option that pays owners of existing iPhones, iPads, Mac or PC desktop or notebook computers a fair market value for their old equipment, paid via an Apple Gift Card.

Apple continues to offer a variety of recycling programs: a place to dump unwanted electronics of any kind at its Cupertino, California head quarters (which it has operated since 2002); free recycling of Mac batteries at any of its retail stores; and free pickup and disposal of any brand of computer or display contracted through WeRecycle!, which user can obtain a free prepaid shipping label from at www.werecycle.com.

Now, users who own an iOS device or a computer from any manufacturer can obtain a credit for the fair market value of that device, calculated by PowerOn, a third party company Apple contract with to run the reuse program.

While recycling old products dismantles them and harvests valuable components such as metal, plastic and glass for recycled use in new products, reuse is an even greener option, as it extends the useful life of products that have value in the second hand market.

"If your product qualifies for reuse meaning it has monetary value youll receive an Apple Gift Card equivalent to its fair market value as determined by PowerON," Apple states on its new recycling program website.

"You can use the gift card for eligible purchases at any U.S. Apple Retail Store or the U.S. Apple Online Store. If your product does not have monetary value, well recycle it at no cost to you."

Users can get a preliminary valuation for their old devices online, then arrange to ship them to PowerOn at no cost. The company will then contact the user if the apprised value is different than what was quoted online, a figure based on the user's own description of the product's condition.

If the user chooses not to accept the final value, it will be returned at no charge. Otherwise, PowerOn will arrange to credit the user via an Apple Gift Card within three weeks of receipt. The company also securely erases all data remaining on the devices while preparing them for resale.

PowerOn's estimated value of a functional, first generation iPad in very good condition is $165, for example. Users may likely be able to find their own second hand buyer for relatively new products in good condition, and fetch a higher price.

However, for older devices with some damage or dysfunctional features, the reuse option may provide an easier, more convenient option that still recoups some value they can then reinvest in new Apple gear.
post #2 of 41
Like the idea, and I'm sure a lot of people will make good use of it.

Worth noting, however, for those that go looking, some companies offer the same service except they pay you cold hard cash. That's what I did with my Pay/Go iPhone 3GS after I was done with it - made back more than the subsidised cost of my current iPhone 4

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.8
White iPad (3G) with Wi-Fi | 16GB | Engraved | Blue Polyurethane Smart Cover
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

Reply

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.8
White iPad (3G) with Wi-Fi | 16GB | Engraved | Blue Polyurethane Smart Cover
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

Reply
post #3 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

Worth noting, however, for those that go looking, some companies offer the same service except they pay you cold hard cash. That's what I did with my Pay/Go iPhone 3GS after I was done with it - made back more than the subsidised cost of my current iPhone 4

A working iPhone 3GS is worth at least $400.

I bet you got ripped off.
post #4 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

A working iPhone 3GS is worth at least $400.

I bet you got ripped off.

That's pretty much the way it is if you sell to an intermediary. If you sell directly to someone that's going to use it, you're going to get more money than you would if you sell it to someone for resale.
post #5 of 41
I mean I guess more options are good, but the fact that it's a gift card and not real cash means Apple should be able to give you a better deal than this.

That screenshot of the iPad price is silly. You can sell an original iPad for $300 or more on eBay. And if you are scared of eBay, you might as well give Amazon Marketplace a try, where you can net $367 before their fees. I guess both have a certain risk, but you can use delivery confirmation and take a picture of the package as you send it out for proof and no shady buyer will be able to screw you over.

Googling Amazon or eBay fee calculators will help you determine how much you will actually make.

For these low values Apple should really be giving out cash.
post #6 of 41
As a frequent buyer and seller of tech stuff... this is BS. Nowhere near 'fair market value'.
post #7 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by stynkfysh View Post

As a frequent buyer and seller of tech stuff... this is BS. Nowhere near 'fair market value'.

So sell it to someone or somewhere else. Pretty darn simple.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #8 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by stynkfysh View Post

As a frequent buyer and seller of tech stuff... this is BS. Nowhere near 'fair market value'.

Exactly......an iPad 1st gen 16GB wireless only goes for around $400 on Craigslist. An iPhone 3GS goes for around $300.....you can get more if you do some work and sell it yourself....

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #9 of 41



$165 is market price? If anybody falls for that, then....


But seriously. I'll be happy to pay anybody here $175 each for as many iPads as they want to sell. They go for $250, minimum, on eBay.

And that is cold hard cash. a $165 Apple gift card costs apple about $100 in COGS. They are cleaning up on both ends - They pay too little, and give you stuff that costs them even less. What a friggin ripoff.
post #10 of 41
This isn't for you. Or really anyone who reads this forum. This program is for your mom. Your grandpa. It's for people who would probably just throw out their old electronics, or give them away (I had someone just give me their 3 year old MBP that "didn't work anymore". This is a better option for those people. $165>$0. This program will keep old tech out of landfills, not off ebay. I fully support that.
post #11 of 41
Brilliant. I know who I am dealing with, and I know how it will be disposed off. For those two attributes alone, I am more than comfortable settling for slightly less than 'best' (but iff-y) market value.

I'll use this for all my future purchases.

For the naysayers: it's simply an option that Apple is offering. No one has to choose it.
post #12 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

Like the idea, and I'm sure a lot of people will make good use of it.

Worth noting, however, for those that go looking, some companies offer the same service except they pay you cold hard cash. That's what I did with my Pay/Go iPhone 3GS after I was done with it - made back more than the subsidised cost of my current iPhone 4

Not only will other companies pay you cash, but you can probably sell your device for twice the amount that you get from this buy back program on craigslist or ebay.
post #13 of 41
These services, while convenient, pay next to nothing. $245 for my 32GB iPhone 4 in great condition??? I might as well take it to a pawn shop.
post #14 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

A working iPhone 3GS is worth at least $400....

This is ridiculous and just not true at all. Considering they give them away free on a contract in many countries, a 16GB one would be in the 160-180 range if they are in perfect condition which is pretty much the exact price this value calculator gives as well.

Whether you can rip someone off for 400 dollars for a 3Gs or not, is not an indicator of it's actual value. People are generally kind of dumb.
post #15 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

These services, while convenient, pay next to nothing. $245 for my 32GB iPhone 4 in great condition??? I might as well take it to a pawn shop.

What a laugh. A pawn shop is not going to give you even a fraction of it's value.

Also, if you want to do that you'd better do it soon. In a month you will be lucky to convince someone to pay you 50 dollars for it on craigslist.
post #16 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post




$165 is market price? If anybody falls for that, then....


But seriously. I'll be happy to pay anybody here $175 each for as many iPads as they want to sell. They go for $250, minimum, on eBay.

And that is cold hard cash. a $165 Apple gift card costs apple about $100 in COGS. They are cleaning up on both ends - They pay too little, and give you stuff that costs them even less. What a friggin ripoff.

This particular iPad is currently selling for 300-350 on eBay, but just because people are willing to pay ridiculous prices for a hot item on eBay, doesn't mean this offer is a "rip-off." A buyback program is not a retail store and the reason behind it isn't to make money or rip people off.

The price is calculated based on the actual value of the parts as a knock-down on the original retail price. The purpose is to determine the actual value of the thing, not "what it's going for" or "what I can get for it." If you want to make a ton of cash and you don't care about recycling or ripping people off ... basically if you just care about yourself ... then this program is not for you is it?

What you are looking for is a flea market, or maybe you should stand under some overpass somewhere hawking your wares.
post #17 of 41
No, Apple is not giving you full retail market value for the items. They are giving you wholesale market value.

Kind of like when you trade in a car. Yeah, if you want to sell it on your own, you probably are going to get more for it than if you trade it in, yet people trade in their cars every day. And there are people that take those cars and resell them for more than they paid for them. It's how they make their living.

For the items being traded in, there is the trade in dollars cost, plus then figure an hour of labor to clean it up and make it ready to resell, and then the time and effort to actually sell it. What they are paying isn't all that bad.
post #18 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This particular iPad is currently selling for 300-350 on eBay, but just because people are willing to pay ridiculous prices for a hot item on eBay, doesn't mean this offer is a "rip-off." A buyback program is not a retail store and the reason behind it isn't to make money or rip people off.

The price is calculated based on the actual value of the parts as a knock-down on the original retail price. The purpose is to determine the actual value of the thing, not "what it's going for" or "what I can get for it." If you want to make a ton of cash and you don't care about recycling or ripping people off ... basically if you just care about yourself ... then this program is not for you is it?

What you are looking for is a flea market, or maybe you should stand under some overpass somewhere hawking your wares.


So it's sketchy and a ripoff for you to sell your ipad for $350 or $400 on ebay. However, if another "official" company offers you $165 (of which they probably pay apple less than $150 for the giftcard) for your ipad and then they go and sell it on ebay, or through a refurbished store, or whatever "official" channel they use for $350, it's perfectly fine, and reasonable? You make it sound like this company isn't making a HUGE profit on the devices they buy back from people. This is clearly not the truth, as companies are in this business to make money, and they will sell it for the most the cheapest price. This may not quite be as much as ebay because they might find lower overheads selling elsewhere, but they are not going and selling the ipad back to people for $200, or even $250.

Pretending that anyone who sells their devices for what they can get and not through apple's channels is a "bad person" is just silly. Your iphone or ipad or i whatever is YOUR device. This company is there to prey on the people who would otherwise just toss perfectly good and worthwhile devices because they don't care enough to sell them for a fair price.

Phil
post #19 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabrain View Post

A buyback program is not a retail store and the reason behind it isn't to make money or rip people off.

That's nonsense. The companies aren't charities. It IS about making money (because, you know, that's what companies try to do).

Quote:
The price is calculated based on the actual value of the parts as a knock-down on the original retail price. The purpose is to determine the actual value of the thing, not "what it's going for" or "what I can get for it." If you want to make a ton of cash and you don't care about recycling or ripping people off ... basically if you just care about yourself ... then this program is not for you is it?

Um, "what it's going for" and "what can I get for it" are actually valid means of determining value. And nice work on the douchebag move of trying to turn it back on the OP. You can't rip someone off on eBay unless you lie in your listing about the item you're selling (like by saying the iMac is in perfect condition when the CD-ROM drive doesn't function and you have to pray to the Mac gods every time your computer starts up). And if you sell a working Mac on eBay, chances are it's going to be used by the purchaser meaning it stays out of a landfill or inefficient recycling program.
post #20 of 41
My friend just got a new iPhone 4, so I checked to see what she could get for the 16GB black 3G with a slightly scuffed screen and mediocre battery life that she's replacing. The grand total? Zero. THey say the market value is zero--and that's including the power adapter and cord!
post #21 of 41
This program is a complete and utter rip off. For some devices where it may be hard to find a buyer easily and without hassle, I can see this working.

Basically, you are getting reamed for the convenience factor of having to click a few mouse buttons and being done. For example, rather than find a buyer for my $100 GPS (which is probably worth $50 now), I could opt to just turn it into a few bucks without any hassles (rather than having it take up my space or having to throw it away).

Now on a mac or iPad or something that is worth hundreds if not thousands of dollars, getting paid about 40 cents on the dollar IS a rip off.

Sure, it takes a bit of hassle to sell on eBay or via Craigslist, but it can be done and it could be worth the time.

I priced my Late 2009 iMac (Quad Core, i5) with 12GB of RAM and the site offered me around $600 for it. This model sold for $1,999 new, and I am damn certain I can get around $1,500 for it if I actually were to sell it and have a bit of patience (and if I priced it at $1,200 or so it would probably sell the same day on Craigslist).

So would it be worth my hassle to try my luck on Craigslist or eBay and pocket an extra THOUSAND DOLLARS? You bet.

And as other people pointed out, this place is not a charity. They are going to sell your device either new or for parts and make a profit. That's why they have to low ball you by about half of the markup.

Doesn't anyone remember Funcoland? Or heck, a modern used DVD store? They buy your used DVD for $2 and sell it for $8 or $10. That's how they make their profit.

This place will buy your iMac, which you paid $2,000 for originally, for $600 and sell it themselves on eBay for $1,500+. That's how they make their profit.

Or in the example given, they will buy your iPad for $165 and sell it for $300.

To say we are bad people because we choose to take the time to sell it ourselves (and pocket the difference) rather than let someone else do it is none sense.

I would say unless you are so pressed for time that you just can't handle running an auction or meeting with someone off of craigslist, you are probably best off selling these items for yourself.

Otherwise, this is a great service for someone who doesn't have the time or the knowledge how to sell things for themselves and would rather just get it over with and get something rather than not selling it at all and having the item rot in their basement.
post #22 of 41
Yes the prices to the buybacks of the items that are WORKING are probably not worth it. But has no one realized one thing.....an iPad costs Apple near $230 to make. So why the hell would they pay you the same or more (as some people sound like they want) for a product they could just make themselves instead of buying it off you.

Remember this is for RECYCLING. This isn't Apple trying to buy your products to get one over on their customers. Also, I do agree that it would be much more beneficial to just sell it to someone off Craigslist or Ebay or where ever.
post #23 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

That's nonsense. The companies aren't charities. It IS about making money (because, you know, that's what companies try to do). ... Um, "what it's going for" and "what can I get for it" are actually valid means of determining value. And nice work on the douchebag move of trying to turn it back on the OP. You can't rip someone off on eBay unless you lie in your listing about the item you're selling (like by saying the iMac is in perfect condition when the CD-ROM drive doesn't function and you have to pray to the Mac gods every time your computer starts up). And if you sell a working Mac on eBay, chances are it's going to be used by the purchaser meaning it stays out of a landfill or inefficient recycling program.

It's a RECYCLING PROGRAM you idiot. Not a scam.

And people get ripped off on eBay every day of the week. Haven't you ever used it? eBay is just a giant flea market. Haven't you ever gone to one of those either?

The iPad in question is worth different amounts depending on what the buying program is and what the conditions of the device and the sale are. The *most* it is ever worth is the 300 bucks you can get on eBay for it because people are desperate to have it. That's not the same thing as what its' worth in parts and materials minus the cost of shipping, stripping, overhead etc.

To compare what you personally can get on eBay in an inflamed market for your one iPad to what a recycling program is going to offer you for the parts minus their overhead is just asinine. Your comparing Apples and Oranges and so is everyone else with this stupid eBay argument.
post #24 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by philgar View Post

So it's sketchy and a ripoff for you to sell your ipad for $350 or $400 on ebay. However, if another "official" company offers you $165 (of which they probably pay apple less than $150 for the giftcard) for your ipad and then they go and sell it on ebay, or through a refurbished store, or whatever "official" channel they use for $350, it's perfectly fine, and reasonable? ... (blah, blah, blah)

You're just fantasising here. You don't know they are going to re-sell it on eBay or as refurbished, it's a freaking recycling program.

It's also completely irrational to just imagine what they might be doing as you are here and then using that as an argument. Even if the computers *were* being re-sold on eBay or as refurbished which they clearly are not, you have to add in the cost of shipping, handling, testing, cleaning, repairs and then shipping and distributing at the other end. You don't think that would add to the cost?

And what about all the avarice filled idiots (seemingly all posting on this thread), who can't sell their iPad on eBay because it's screwed up in some way who simply lie through their teeth and send it to these guys instead? The percentage of crappy and or dead computers also has to be taken out of the totals.

Apple has their own refurbishing program that's been in place for many many years. This is not that. This is Apple *trying* to do some good, and getting crapped all over by a bunch of whiny selfish jerks IMO.
post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

You're just fantasising here. You don't know they are going to re-sell it on eBay or as refurbished, it's a freaking recycling program.

It's also completely irrational to just imagine what they might be doing as you are here and then using that as an argument. Even if the computers *were* being re-sold on eBay or as refurbished which they clearly are not, you have to add in the cost of shipping, handling, testing, cleaning, repairs and then shipping and distributing at the other end. You don't think that would add to the cost?

And what about all the avarice filled idiots (seemingly all posting on this thread), who can't sell their iPad on eBay because it's screwed up in some way who simply lie through their teeth and send it to these guys instead? The percentage of crappy and or dead computers also has to be taken out of the totals.

Apple has their own refurbishing program that's been in place for many many years. This is not that. This is Apple *trying* to do some good, and getting crapped all over by a bunch of whiny selfish jerks IMO.

I'll have to agree with this. I spent a month watching similar 2006 MAC Pros on ebay to figure what I could get for mine. I also looked through Craig's list ads. PowerMax, who I've done business with before, was quoting me about $50 shy of what my machine was selling for on ebay.

People pay for convenience, it's a service like any other product. I just sold my old MAC Pro to PowerMax and purchased a new MAC Mini and I have a new up to date machine for next to no cost to me. Shipping and tax included. No ebay or paypal fees to hassle with either.

The same type of recycle programs offered by a Wndows PC maker wouldn't give you anywhere close to what these MAC programs offer.

Is this for everyone? No but if you have an old machine that's ready for replacement then yes, this is a nice service.
post #26 of 41
This program, with reusing and buy back, has been around for a long time. The only change whatsoever is that it now includes iPads and iPhones.
BTW, even though my MacBook is Core Duo, it has a 500 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, and Snow Leopard.
Reply
BTW, even though my MacBook is Core Duo, it has a 500 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, and Snow Leopard.
Reply
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This particular iPad is currently selling for 300-350 on eBay, but just because people are willing to pay ridiculous prices for a hot item on eBay, doesn't mean this offer is a "rip-off." A buyback program is not a retail store and the reason behind it isn't to make money or rip people off.

The price is calculated based on the actual value of the parts as a knock-down on the original retail price. The purpose is to determine the actual value of the thing, not "what it's going for" or "what I can get for it." If you want to make a ton of cash and you don't care about recycling or ripping people off ... basically if you just care about yourself ... then this program is not for you is it?

What you are looking for is a flea market, or maybe you should stand under some overpass somewhere hawking your wares.

Everything (well, some things) that you say would be true if not for the claim that the deal is at fair market price. It is not. Saying so is fraud.

If not for the claim, seemingly designed to fool the ignorant, I would have no problem with their scheme.
post #28 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

My friend just got a new iPhone 4, so I checked to see what she could get for the 16GB black 3G with a slightly scuffed screen and mediocre battery life that she's replacing. The grand total? Zero. THey say the market value is zero--and that's including the power adapter and cord!

If the market value of a used iPhone is zero, why does the market buy and sell them every day for more than zero?

Who is "they"? And why do you trust them to set market prices? Market prices are set by the market as a whole, and not one player.
post #29 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conscript View Post

Otherwise, this is a great service for someone who doesn't have the time or the knowledge how to sell things for themselves and would rather just get it over with and get something rather than not selling it at all and having the item rot in their basement.


If the seller is aware that he is giving up value for convenience, everything is fine. But when the seller is bamboozled into thinking that he is getting fair market value, the seller is the victim of fraud.
post #30 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It's a RECYCLING PROGRAM you idiot. Not a scam.

From the very first part of the very first sentence of the very first paragraph of the article we are discussing:

"Apple has enhanced its recycling program to add a new "reuse" option ..."

It is a REUSE program you *d**t. Not a recycling program.
post #31 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

You're just fantasising here. You don't know they are going to re-sell it on eBay or as refurbished, it's a freaking recycling program.

It's also completely irrational to just imagine what they might be doing as you are here and then using that as an argument. Even if the computers *were* being re-sold on eBay or as refurbished which they clearly are not,

The article makes clear that the OP is imagining very little. The article says that it is not a recycling program, but rather , a reuse program. Reuse, at least to me, implies that it will be used again. Used again implies that a new user will use it. I don't think it is far stretch to imagine that a for-profit corporation will sell them to the re-user.
post #32 of 41
I wanted to see how much my 17 inch 1 ghz G4 swivel neck imac would fetch...
I WAS SHOWN A HIGH DEF PICTURE OF ONE OF STEVE JOB'S MIDDLE FINGERS!
In other words, no dollar value.
I'll keep it for nostalgia purposes, thank you.
post #33 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

I wanted to see how much my 17 inch 1 ghz G4 swivel neck imac would fetch...
I WAS SHOWN A HIGH DEF PICTURE OF ONE OF STEVE JOB'S MIDDLE FINGERS!
In other words, no dollar value.
I'll keep it for nostalgia purposes, thank you.

Or, you know, sell it on eBay because this program from Apple has absolutely nothing to do with giving you "top-dollar" value.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #34 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Brilliant. I know who I am dealing with, and I know how it will be disposed off. For those two attributes alone, I am more than comfortable settling for slightly less than 'best' (but iff-y) market value.
I'll use this for all my future purchases.

To me that's classic stuff anant. I'm going to eat an onion now.
post #35 of 41
It probably should have been explained more clearly that you're being offered market trade-in value, which is roughly what you would get if you tried to sell it to a used computer store. And trade-in value has to factor in the cost of replacing known bad parts, wipe the device, replace batteries and other things found to be wrong, then try to sell it at a price that recovers all those expenses and the expenses of keeping the doors open, lights on and rent paid.

As it is, I find completed listings for working 1GHz G4 17" iMacs, sold for as low as $60 on eBay. I can see why they wouldn't want to take that. Expenses can rack up quickly in a resale operation, and they need a markup to cover their costs. If they find they have to replace a part to sell it, any part, then they've just taken a loss if they gave 50% of the street price of the computer.
post #36 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

Like the idea, and I'm sure a lot of people will make good use of it.

Worth noting, however, for those that go looking, some companies offer the same service except they pay you cold hard cash.

So may some of these companies. But to get Apple to endorse them it likely came with payment only be via Apple card. After all, that would be how Apple could make any money off the deal.


Quote:
Originally Posted by stynkfysh View Post

As a frequent buyer and seller of tech stuff... this is BS. Nowhere near 'fair market value'.


Actually it very possibly is. It just doesn't seem like it cause those on craigslist etc are more than willing to over pay for something they really want. Especially if the supply is perceived as slim


Quote:
Originally Posted by bjojade View Post

No, Apple is not giving you full retail market value for the items. They are giving you wholesale market value.

Actually Apple isn't giving either. These are 3rd party companies doing this on behalf of Apple. And almost certainly with the condition that Apple stay out of the value issue. After all, if Apple wants to set the values they could just run the dang thing themselves.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

These services, while convenient, pay next to nothing. $245 for my 32GB iPhone 4 in great condition??? I might as well take it to a pawn shop.

But you don't HAVE to sell it do you?
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
Reply
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
Reply
post #38 of 41
Good lord ya'll, have none of you ever heard of selling to an intermediary? It works like this: you get the convenience of a known and central buyer. You are saved the hassle of finding your own buyer, which is extra time and effort and who may or may not be legit (Craigslist, I'm looking at you).

Since the intermediary makes money by reselling the item, they obviously can't pay "full market value" or there wouldn't be any profit left. This is how second hands stores, pawn shops, antique sellers etc. operate.

If finding your own buyer doesn't bother you, do so. Take the extra money. If you'd rather not run an eBay auction or have a stranger come to your house (or arrange a meeting in a parking lot) then this is an option. If you think it's a rip-off, then don't use them. It's not like they're coming to your house and seizing your old iPad and giving you insulting money.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #39 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Greg] View Post

This isn't for you. Or really anyone who reads this forum. This program is for your mom. Your grandpa. It's for people who would probably just throw out their old electronics, or give them away (I had someone just give me their 3 year old MBP that "didn't work anymore". This is a better option for those people. $165>$0. This program will keep old tech out of landfills, not off ebay. I fully support that.

Excellent post and very true. A woman I work with (who is not very tech or market savvy) offered me her son's old Mac for the taking - she didn't even know what model it was. She just heard me mention that I was pricing Macs and said that he didn't use it, so she wanted to get rid of it. I've tried to give up my predatory ways of the past, so I told her that she should really try to sell it... not give it away. Not wanting to take advantage of her, combined with the fact that her life reads like an episode of Days of Our Lives, made me walk away from that offer.

But anyway, there are people like that. There are people among us for whom Ebay and Amazon are more than they can deal with. So the device goes in a cardboard box, until Uncle Freddy spills beer on it, and then it become a worthless brick destined for the landfill. So in that scenario, as you said: $165>$0.

As consumers or sellers, it is up to us to decide if something is a good or bad deal for us. Apple is making an offer. You can accept, decline or counter-offer (which they will probably refuse, but still). What with the information available on the internet these days, we have no excuse for making bad deals... other than the face in the mirror.

Just my 2 cents...
If two people always agree, then one of them is redundant.
Reply
If two people always agree, then one of them is redundant.
Reply
post #40 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

A working iPhone 3GS is worth at least $400.

I bet you got ripped off.

You understand the concept of a reseller right? If they paid you retail on the item, they would end up losing money.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple offers buyback program for old iPhone, iPad, Macs