or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Motorola planning 'aggressive form factor' tablets for late 2011

Motorola planning 'aggressive form factor' tablets for late 2011 - Page 2

post #41 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Bingo. WTF is an aggressive form factor? All this desperation is breeding less and less intelligible language from various companies. Sell-out can be "smooth". Form factors are now "aggressive". Jeeez. What's next, prices will be "shagadelic"?

Yeah, and what kind of company is so stupid as to have an executive that would use a stupid made-up term like that, or so incompetent that no one told him before he got up in front of the microphone that he was about to say something stupid?

The general public will never hear this speech or even read about it, so it will do nothing for future sales from them. Those that are interested enough to read this article or others like it and find out what he said, are smart enough to know he's just blowing smoke out of his rear end. What's the point? It's just a lot of bluster and hardly worth reporting at all.
post #42 of 64
Will the current Xoom become unsupported, non-updated abandonware before its even a year old, as happens too often with Android devices? The good one is always right around the corner... which is a great business model, if you can get people to buy several in a year (as my Android friends have been known to do) instead of hanging on to one great device for years, Apple-style.
post #43 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by donal View Post

Brilliant reprise of old Bob Hope joke.

Oh was that a joke ??!!!
iMac i7
iMac i7
post #44 of 64
deleted
post #45 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

But it had flash!

Kind Of. Of course "Kind of" describes the implementation of every Xoom feature.

It is weird that all the Xoom apologists are gone now. I guess a couple of them actually put their money where their mouth is and are to embarrassed to speak out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Will the current Xoom become unsupported, non-updated abandonware before it’s even a year old, as happens too often with Android devices? The “good one” is always right around the corner... which is a great business model, if you can get people to buy several in a year (as my Android friends have been known to do) instead of hanging on to one great device for years, Apple-style.

You just described (edit: I had typed destroyed somehow (Thanks Lion)) most companies entire Android operating model..
post #46 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

He was likely thinking of the Russian reversal jokes made popular by Yakov Smirnoff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian...ssian_reversal

Which were a copy of an old Bob Hope bit, no?
post #47 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Which were a copy of an old Bob Hope bit, no?

Bob goes back a long way with his jokes about Russia but I think Yakov was the only person who had that particular style.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #48 of 64
Agressive Form Factor?

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #49 of 64
And...

post #50 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Motorola Mobility CEO Sanjay Jha said on Tuesday that his company is planning to roll out tablets with "aggressive form factors" later this year, while also indicating that smartphones remain the top priority.

To make God laugh at you, tell him your plans.
- Yiddish proverb

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #51 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Motorola Mobility "aggressive form factors"

The circle tablet! Think of all those racing games that need a steering wheel!

No really what 'aggressive form factor' means is that Motorola will shave off 1/8" on the thickness!
/
/
/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #52 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by shen View Post

Actually I read that as "we are watching the problems with Android and it is increasingly possible the "free" OS will cost us fees to MS and Apple and it runs like a POS anyway, so why not give people the POS they already know and buy."

+1.

If Microsoft gives Motorola a Billion dollars to 'partner' in a Win 8 tablet delivery... they'll take it. Android is not market maker, and google hasn't shown it wil actively defend it's partners in a patent war.
post #53 of 64
My guess is that "aggressive" in this context means "gimmicky", ala folding bits and fussy paint jobs and random lights. That, typically, has been the cell phone manufacturers idea of innovation, and while the practicalities of Android handsets has moderated that trend it may be that getting slapped in the tablet market has driven Moto to return to its old tricks.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #54 of 64
MOT Mobility is also now and always has been one of the WEAKEST software companies out there! If they had a clue, they would have bought Palm! Now their only hope is for HP to buy them, IMHO.

MOT should have gotten their OWN OS YEARS AGO! Fail.
post #55 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I was thinking maybe sharp edges and a big skull and crossbones on the back. They could sell them to Oakland Raiders fans.

After further reflection, I think the exec used the word "aggressive" in an attempt to continue the mood of prior Android device advertising. They are indeed marketing to people who respond to verbal and visual cues which are categorized as "masculine". While this insecure demographic is much larger than just Oakland Raider fans, you may have hit on a good marketing tactic for niche-size tablet producers. If they align themselves with brands favored by people who want to portray a cartoon hyper-masculinity (e.g. Raider fans, Harley-Davidson riders, Texans, etc.), they may find some success.
post #56 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

But it had flash!

i just know that they brought this up around 20 times, during the products development meetings.
post #57 of 64
i tell you all with the world markets collapsing and stocks like aapl getting a beaten .

i would hate to be motoroma now
and i would hate to have 10 models that don't sell like the single model they have now

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #58 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

And...

lolololololololoo

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #59 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Pretty much all the 7 inch were running old versions of Android that weren't designed for tablets and didn't have access to the Google market (so no apps). If you think the Honeycomb tablets were bad, then these must have been horrendous. I don't think we can really judge the 7 inch form factor based on this.

Nook Color is doing well and it's not even sold as a tablet. The 7" form factor has legs I think for certain applications.
post #60 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

If they align themselves with brands favored by people who want to portray a cartoon hyper-masculinity (e.g. Raider fans, Harley-Davidson riders, Texans, etc.), they may find some success.

You mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w83UQkiuNZQ

I wonder how many Motorola ad executives drink this after a long day at the office:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs
post #61 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The should call it 'Drain' as that's what these attempts are doing to their assets.

And with Flash, the battery as well
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #62 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

My guess is that "aggressive" in this context means "gimmicky", ala folding bits and fussy paint jobs and random lights. That, typically, has been the cell phone manufacturers idea of innovation, and while the practicalities of Android handsets has moderated that trend it may be that getting slapped in the tablet market has driven Moto to return to its old tricks.

so it's damned if they do damned if they don't?

If they go to simple they're called iPhone clones and if they go too complex they are gimmicky.

Soooo I dunno...how can they win?

granted motorola is my least favorite of the Android OEMs...but I feel all devices should be more minimalistic in the end...same thing happened with computers and cars.

u can differentiate by angles/materials/etc here and there.
post #63 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

so it's damned if they do damned if they don't?

If they go to simple they're called iPhone clones and if they go too complex they are gimmicky.

Soooo I dunno...how can they win?

granted motorola is my least favorite of the Android OEMs...but I feel all devices should be more minimalistic in the end...same thing happened with computers and cars.

u can differentiate by angles/materials/etc here and there.

False dichotomy. There's a lot of ground between simply aping Apple's design decisions and sticking on random bits of bling. It's like saying that it's not possible to make a simple, modern piece of furniture that doesn't look like a clone of a Bauhaus piece. That a chair must have a seat at a certain height and four legs and a back, therefore everything converges on Mies van der Rohe-- which of course isn't a truism, it's just a failure of imagination.

There are any number of materials/detail choices that Motorola could make that would keep the Xoom well differentiated from the iPad. My suspicion is that they won't make those choices and either fall back into their feature phone ways, where extraneous bit of decorative cladding are tossed on to make it look more badass, or stick pretty close to the iPad template but in random sizes.
post #64 of 64
----------
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Motorola planning 'aggressive form factor' tablets for late 2011
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Motorola planning 'aggressive form factor' tablets for late 2011