or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iPad 2 display problems prompt Apple to cut orders from LG

iPad 2 display problems prompt Apple to cut orders from LG - Page 2

post #41 of 57
Why is Apple using below average quality L(ucky) G(oldstar) components in their supposed to be high quality iPads? The quality of each product is as high as its worst component and I remember Lucky Goldstar as a maker of the worst TVs among the bad ones. The change of brand won't change the quality.
Marquiz d' Gabber von Gabberaarde

... and Windows Vista...
... fails on the Moon...
... 6x slower!
Marquiz d' Gabber von Gabberaarde

... and Windows Vista...
... fails on the Moon...
... 6x slower!
post #42 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Unfortunately for Samsung, they have no other customer with the same supply demands as Apple. Thus, they would lose revenue and take a hit by having excess manufacturing capacity. Those factories are a huge capital investment, you don't want them sitting around idle. Samsung would take major losses if their display business fell off a cliff.

If Samsung said "eff you" to everyone who has rankled their hide, they'd have no one to do business with.

But sure, they should listen to you, not me. Because the realities of international supply chain economics don't really exist in your dreamworld.

Unfortunately, you can turn it around and say, since Apple was hogging up the supply chain, with Apple gone as a customer, others can place their orders.

Samsung has other OEM's lined up ready to deal with them. Customers isnt an issue for them.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #43 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Unfortunately, you can turn it around and say, since Apple was hogging up the supply chain, with Apple gone as a customer, others can place their orders.

Samsung has other OEM's lined up ready to deal with them. Customers isnt an issue for them.

Absolutely. Samsung could give up the 20 million screens they're going to sell Apple this year and in return, they'll have the production capacity to handle Motorola's need for 57 Xoom screens and HP's need for 253 Touchpad screens.

You're absolutely dreaming if you think that ANYONE can make up for the loss of Apple's volume.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #44 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

Why is Apple using below average quality L(ucky) G(oldstar) components in their supposed to be high quality iPads? The quality of each product is as high as its worst component and I remember Lucky Goldstar as a maker of the worst TVs among the bad ones. The change of brand won't change the quality.

Do you have any statistical data to support your comment? What you may remember and what exists today are likely to be two different things. Do you think Apple would fail to continuously audit supplier quality when it allocates component business?

What we surmise from this story is that LG's display manufacturing process is out of statistical control bounds at this time. The article tells us nothing about whether the process was in control originally, or whether there have been other excursions from the required control bounds.

I'm sorry if some of these words like "bounds" and "in control" sound like jargon, but they are important terms within statistical quality control management.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #45 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

I am curious, how did you determine it was an LG panel?

-kpluck

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/07/i...lty-lg-panels/

While not 100% corroboration that it's LG, a lot of bits of information all over the web point to the light leakage of the initial batch of iPad 2s to be LG's fault.
post #46 of 57
Cant live with them

Cant live without them

Such is the dilemma for litto old Apple.

post #47 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Absolutely. Samsung could give up the 20 million screens they're going to sell Apple this year and in return, they'll have the production capacity to handle Motorola's need for 57 Xoom screens and HP's need for 253 Touchpad screens.

You're absolutely dreaming if you think that ANYONE can make up for the loss of Apple's volume.

Typical cocky Apple fan.

I'll lump you together with Thomas J Watson who famously said: "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."

A look around your room will provide you the truth to that statement.

post #48 of 57
My iPad 2 bleeds light like crazy too. I don't know who manufactured the panel. The 2 reasons I am yet to take it back to the store is because it really does not seem to affect my day-to-day usage and I am not sure if the replacement I get will not bleed light.

Moreover, I have a 64GB iPad 3G + WiFi model, which is currently out of stock in my city. So they may need to send it to Apple and get me a new model, which may take a long time.
post #49 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Typical cocky Apple fan.

I'll lump you together with Thomas J Watson who famously said: "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."

A look around your room will provide you the truth to that statement.

It has nothing to do with faith and assumptions. It has to do with reality. It is clear that none of the non-Apple tablet vendors are selling numbers anywhere close to what it would take to replace the loss of Apple as a customer.

Or maybe you're the "build it and they will come" type of planner. That's a sure way to drive a business into the ground.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #50 of 57
I'm finding this baffling in many ways.

LG are a top tier screen manufacturer so if they cannot get it right will a cheaper mass production Taiwan company?
I almost suspect that there is to be a cheaper model.
post #51 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Maybe. But imagine the impact if Samsung said "no". In the short term it could provide leverage on Apple's lawsuits against them, and in the long term could provide many benefits....

You get 1 shot at doing something like that with Apple...

And everyone who used Sammy as a supplier would be looking for alternatives at the earliest possible moment... regardless of any short term advantage gained.

Say you had a supplier for products you were building and they:

1) copied your technology
2) offered look-alike products in competition
3) when challenged, cut off your parts supply

That's a pretty interesting track-record of qualifications that they could use to tell potential new customers...

Actually, they wouldn't need to tell anyone -- word would get out...
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #52 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Furthermore, most large companies, especially conglomerates, operate in a very decentralized way. That's why you have one division suing Apple and another doing big business with them. I've worked for three very large companies and my experience is that each business unit does exactly what's best for them because each has their own P&L. Only occassionally does a directive come from the top overriding those decisions. I've almost always found it harder to deal with internal business units than external companies. I walked into a meeting once to discuss buying product from another business unit for distribution through our own ecommerce site and the first thing they said to me was, "we're not giving you any discount whatsoever." We wound up buying our own product from a third-party distributor because it was less expensive than buying directly from our own business unit. (How's that for synergy?)

Apple's buying what - 40 million panels a year? No one is going to turn that business down, especially in today's poor business climate.

Ha! Your experience reminds me of a company I worked for in the 60s. CEC:

Consolidated Electro-Dynamics Corporation
320 North Sierra Madre Boulevard,
Pasadena, California (no abbreviations allowed, and just 1 hyphenation).

(At the time IBM was named International Business Machines Corporation).

CEC developed the DataTron Computer and sold the rights to Burroughs.

CEC also made very expensive devices like mass spectrometers, precision data tape machines, etc...

Anyway CEC had 12 divisions. Each division sold related components to the other divisions at full price -- and booked them as such. Each division showed a profit -- but overall, the company lost money...

How's that for consolidation?

CEC was eventually purchased by Bell & Howell.

The above reminded me of a tour I took of the Burroughs Facility. Besides the B205 and B220 computers, they had on display a mass storage device called a DataFile, nicknamed: the "Coffin Computer":

Quote:
One of our tape devices looked like a cof- fin. It was called a DATAFILE. It had 50 lengths of tape with two eight-digit tracks of in- formation on each tape. So logically, there were 100 tapes in this thing that was exactly the size of a coffin7. Every record was addressable. There were no reels in it. The tape just piled up on one side or the other of the pinch-rollers. The biggest problem with it was that if a strip of tape was left to lay there for more than a week it would stick together. Then when someone tried to read it, the whole wad of tape would come up and get all tangled up in the pinch-rollers. So any good Field Engineer would have a hip-pocket program that moved all of the tapes every day.

Stories about the B5000 and people who were there

post #53 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

CEC was eventually purchased by Bell & Howell.

Does Bell + Howell ever bring back memories! Talk about a technical leader that over the years assiduously worked its way to the back of the pack. Now it exists as nothing more than a brand name licensed for such marginal products as the Bell + Howell 50107 Motion Activated Ultrasonic Battery Powered Animal Repeller. Seriously.

post #54 of 57
deleted
post #55 of 57
I completely disagree. Apple pays such low margins to it's suppliers that a short shutdown would hurt apple far more than Samsung. It is almost identical to a strike by employees....
post #56 of 57
Went round to my local Apple Store in my new corner of the world. The staff were very efficient, though they seemed a bit stressed. Or a bit more prim and proper than the usual "chilled out" Apple Store feel.

But anyways the Genius mentioned it's "within tolerances" though he would go "beyond" and offer me a one-time replacement of the iPad 16GB WiFi. Though he would not guarantee that it would not show up again.

Some people may not accept this, but I think it's legitimate, my unit is several months old (though the light bleeding is as it was from day 1) and I think by now hopefully the unit I get won't have any light bleeding. New iPad units over the past few months I've played with don't seem to have the issue. My replacement unit should be ready for collection by the weekend and it was only an hour or so to see a Genius, I just reserved the slot on-the-spot, went around and got some other stuff done and then came back.

Oh and the iPads next to all the Apple products in the Apple Store are quite slick. It kinda "just works" on a marketing/operational level even though it might seem like a waste of iPads. The iPads next to the iPads telling you about the iPads seem a bit odd though (insert Xzibit joke [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xzibit#Internet_meme] here).

All said and done, while it would be great if Apple could retain its quality control, I expect things will fluctuate over the next few years. At the end of the day the hardware and software and integration is better than almost all of the stuff out there, so, good enough for me. I'm sure there are always vocal enough customers that will push Apple to continually deliver quality and rectify issues where they pop up. I wouldn't want to work in Apple Retail or Apple Reseller Retail though, need to get myself continuing on the non-retail path, hopefully my retail job days are behind me, at least in terms of being a frontline staff.
post #57 of 57
Okay, got my replacement iPad2 within 3-4 days, picked it up this afternoon from the official Apple Store. What a relief having an official Apple Store. Seriously.

There is still some very slight light bleeding but it's definitely improved from my previous unit which was one of the first batches out of the US launch.

I'm sure Apple is actively sourcing alternatives to LG.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iPad 2 display problems prompt Apple to cut orders from LG