or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › HTC announces 'major' $300M investment in Beats Electronics
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HTC announces 'major' $300M investment in Beats Electronics

post #1 of 59
Thread Starter 
After teasing a "major news announcement" for the company, HTC CEO Peter Chou revealed that it has acquired a $300 million majority stake in audio technology company Beats Electronics, with the first HTC product to implement Beats technology due out later this year.

HTC said early Wednesday that it would make a major announcement on Thursday. The gravitas of the teaser had led some to suggest that the company might announce a settlement to its fierce legal dispute with rival Apple.

The rumored settlement failed to materialize, however, as Chou instead revealed the new partnership with Beats Electronics in an interview with All Things D.

With the magic of mobile devices, it is easier than ever to discover and buy new music, he said. However, without great sound experience it is a shame. According to the executive, the deal will help create "an emotional connection" to the HTC brand.

Chou said the first HTC product to include Beats technology will arrive later this year, but declined to provide further details. Beats has a pre-existing deal with HP that will remain intact, according to CEO Jimmy Iovine, as will the company's partnership with Monster on the Beats by Dr. Dre line of headphones.



HTC's deal with Beats follows a controversial $300 million acquisition of S3 Graphics. Given that S3 Graphics is currently suing Apple over image compression patents, it has been suggested that HTC purchased the company in order to gain leverage in its fight with Apple.

Investors have criticized the move as being unwise, but Chou has said the company will quickly prove worth its purchase price.

Apple's patent dispute with HTC began last year and has since come to be seen as a touchstone for the larger legal battle between Apple and Android. The U.S. International Trade Commission recently issued an initial ruling that found HTC had violated two of Apple's patented inventions. The ITC has also opened another investigation in response to a second complaint by Apple.

Chou has downplayed the seriousness of the disagreement, calling it a mere "distraction" and reassuring investors that the company will be unaffected by the lawsuits. But, analysts have cautioned that Apple may secure a high royalty precedent on HTC's and other manufacturers' Android devices.
post #2 of 59
I've heard these "Beats" may be even higher quality than Apple's standard earbuds.
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
post #3 of 59
If you want to spot someone with an IQ lower than 100, look for Beats by Dre headphones.
post #4 of 59
I like how an article about HTC signing with Beats turned into a discussion about HTC and Apple's lawsuit. I would really enjoy going one day hearing about mobile news that isn't about patent disputes
TalkAndroid anyone?
Reply
TalkAndroid anyone?
Reply
post #5 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

I've heard these "Beats" may be even higher quality than Apple's standard earbuds.

They're nice, but HTC depending on audio quality of music playback to differentiate themselves is a bit of a retro move.

Interesting play, in taking a majority stake they can block out other potential or current licensees.

Still, a bit retro and it ain't really gonna make HTC rise above mediocre.
post #6 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

I like how an article about HTC signing with Beats turned into a discussion about HTC and Apple's lawsuit. I would really enjoy going one day hearing about mobile news that isn't about patent disputes

What reason would an AppleInsider blog have to talk about general Mobile News if the news maker had no connection, pro or con, to Apple?
post #7 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

They're nice, but HTC depending on audio quality of music playback to differentiate themselves is a bit of a retro move.

Interesting play, in taking a majority stake they can block out other potential or current licensees.

Still, a bit retro and it ain't really gonna make HTC rise above mediocre.

Perhaps we won't see HP laptop commercials anymore with Dr. Dre?
post #8 of 59
Beats is a complete effing scam! Why do I say that? Because I have heard the sound and it isn't anything to write home about. But,If you're a sucker for high concept design then Monster's Beats' products and their superfluous packaging are right up your alley.
They are also built like s***! Everywhere I saw them they were freaking busted.
post #9 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

They're nice, but HTC depending on audio quality of music playback to differentiate themselves is a bit of a retro move.

Interesting play, in taking a majority stake they can block out other potential or current licensees.

Still, a bit retro and it ain't really gonna make HTC rise above mediocre.

Beats headphones can sound great and all, but I bet they don't sound better than these:
http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-...dp_ob_title_ce

I own the previous model, those are even cheaper. You can't really get anything better until you hit the $100-250 range, a price I would never pay. At least, my ears certainly can't tell the difference.

I don't do over the ear headphones, but I do know of $100 pairs that could easily beat the $300 beats. Hah, see what I did there? It just shows you how far marketing gets you...I'm sure you could find a pair of sub $100 Sennheisers that sound a lot better or the same as Beats.

Anyway, all this is besides my main point, which is that I still don't know what Beats Electronics does besides produce unspectacular headphones! What does the Beats audio software actually DO in an HP PC? It seems like it would just be another piece of bloatware I would uninstall along with the Norton trial.
post #10 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Beats is a complete effing scam! Why do I say that? Because I have heard the sound and it isn't anything to write home about. But,If you're a sucker for high concept design then Monster's Beats' products and their superfluous packaging are right up your alley.
They are also built like s***! Everywhere I saw them they were freaking busted.

Yeah, especially bad considering that the feeling of cheapness is amplified when you try on abused store models. They don't feel like they would last more than a few months for all those heavy listeners out there.

Hey Dr. Dre....release Detox already. Oh, does the album suck, and you aren't nearly at your best anymore? Then don't release it, quit it with this delaying nonsense.

People like Lil Wayne basically crap out a new song every day that's half decent, most quite a lot better than any of the Detox leaked tracks. Not saying Lil Wayne is the greatest either...like I said he literally just craps them out and they are good enough to get some radio play. And if the song sucks? Well, just crap out another one tomorrow. At least it's not an 11 year constipation. . .
post #11 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Perhaps we won't see HP laptop commercials anymore with Dr. Dre?

Yeah, I was thinking about the HPs. But those are laptops. In any case who knows what HTC is going to do with Beats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Beats is a complete effing scam! Why do I say that? Because I have heard the sound and it isn't anything to write home about. But,If you're a sucker for high concept design then Monster's Beats' products and their superfluous packaging are right up your alley.
They are also built like s***! Everywhere I saw them they were freaking busted.

I haven't been impressed with them. I use on-ear headphones now, Sennheiser HD 218. Good enough for me for less than $100. Now I see they're less than $50! I'm no audiophile but it's given me a good aural experience across iDevices, Mac and PC. Good bass, closed back so it cuts out the noise. The "leather" came off after a year on the ear pads but I just bought replacement ear pads because I'm so used to the sound of these headphones. I've even made tracks in Logic just using these headphones eg. http://soundcloud.com/mizutrance/miz...imalist-sketch ... Good enough for the genre of music I like (trance/progressive) and for PC gaming. I'm no audiophile or fancy producer, I just like what I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

Beats headphones can sound great and all, but I bet they don't sound better than these:
http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-...dp_ob_title_ce

I own the previous model, those are even cheaper. You can't really get anything better until you hit the $100-250 range, a price I would never pay. At least, my ears certainly can't tell the difference.

I don't do over the ear headphones, but I do know of $100 pairs that could easily beat the $300 beats. Hah, see what I did there? It just shows you how far marketing gets you...I'm sure you could find a pair of sub $100 Sennheisers that sound a lot better or the same as Beats.

Anyway, all this is besides my main point, which is that I still don't know what Beats Electronics does besides produce unspectacular headphones! What does the Beats audio software actually DO in an HP PC? It seems like it would just be another piece of bloatware I would uninstall along with the Norton trial.

Points well taken. Though I'm actually an on-ear headphones guy, not in-ear. As for the HP with Beats don't they have "special speakers"? It's all mainly marketing anyways. Wasn't there Harmon Kardon branded laptop audio as well? I guess it's just life in the commodity PC game.
post #12 of 59
Yawn ....
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #13 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

Beats headphones can sound great and all, but I bet they don't sound better than these:
http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-...dp_ob_title_ce

I own the previous model, those are even cheaper. You can't really get anything better until you hit the $100-250 range, a price I would never pay. At least, my ears certainly can't tell the difference.

I don't do over the ear headphones, but I do know of $100 pairs that could easily beat the $300 beats. Hah, see what I did there? It just shows you how far marketing gets you...I'm sure you could find a pair of sub $100 Sennheisers that sound a lot better or the same as Beats.

Anyway, all this is besides my main point, which is that I still don't know what Beats Electronics does besides produce unspectacular headphones! What does the Beats audio software actually DO in an HP PC? It seems like it would just be another piece of bloatware I would uninstall along with the Norton trial.

If I want solid sound in headphones I'll buy these or the new 380 Pro: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/profess...umaural_004974

I haven't walked around with earbuds since I was in college back in the 90s.
post #14 of 59
Now, these are quality headphones: http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/Head.../Overview.html

Those Dr Dre Beats aren't anything special, not by a long shot!
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #15 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

I've heard these "Beats" may be even higher quality than Apple's standard earbuds.

I just don't see anyone over the age of 14 altering a decision to purchase an iPad or iPhone because some piece of junk Android device has teenage appealing ear buds. It is the same marketing strategy used before such as ads that show Droids are used by space age storm troopers. That simply didn't work. In fact if this is HTC's answer to taking on Apple it is either a sign of desperation or a total lack of reality or perhaps both. They may as well offer free plastic models of Darth Vader with every purchase.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #16 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

What reason would an AppleInsider blog have to talk about general Mobile News if the news maker had no connection, pro or con, to Apple?

To sell us readers to their main customer, Google. AI makes money every time we click or comment.
post #17 of 59
Firstly, I am a headphone/earphone freak. I own everything from Jerry Harvey customs earphones to FitEar, to MEEl, to Monster, to Mingo, to Sleek. I've heard them all and reviewed a lot of them.

I'll have to quietly agree here. Though, Monster Turbine (in any flavour) is great, the Beats Tour are at best, meh for sound.

Still, why does it matter their price? If people buy them, what gives? The reason I took issue with the Beats Tour is their cable was horrible (first batch, corrected later) and was prone to break. (It did.) Sound was overall the sound you get from a GOOD 40-50$ earphone, certainly not worth 150$, but then again, there are a LOT of overpriced (for performance) earphones out there from every company, even Sennheiser.

As for earphones, if you gave up on them, you've probably never heard custom in ear earphones or high end earphones before, as they seal out the outside, and can get even more detailed than anything from the big boys, especially if you leave the comfort of your house.

I use Sleek Audio CT7 on a daily basis, or Audio Technica's CK10. LOVE.
TouchMyApps - All things iPhone for those who like to touch
Reply
TouchMyApps - All things iPhone for those who like to touch
Reply
post #18 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

Firstly, I am a headphone/earphone freak. I own everything from Jerry Harvey customs earphones to FitEar, to MEEl, to Monster, to Mingo, to Sleek. I've heard them all and reviewed a lot of them.

I'll have to quietly agree here. Though, Monster Turbine (in any flavour) is great, the Beats Tour are at best, meh for sound.

Still, why does it matter their price? If people buy them, what gives? The reason I took issue with the Beats Tour is their cable was horrible (first batch, corrected later) and was prone to break. (It did.) Sound was overall the sound you get from a GOOD 40-50$ earphone, certainly not worth 150$, but then again, there are a LOT of overpriced (for performance) earphones out there from every company, even Sennheiser.

As for earphones, if you gave up on them, you've probably never heard custom in ear earphones or high end earphones before, as they seal out the outside, and can get even more detailed than anything from the big boys, especially if you leave the comfort of your house.

I use Sleek Audio CT7 on a daily basis, or Audio Technica's CK10. LOVE.

Interesting. Didn't know spamming was allowed here.
post #19 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I just don't see anyone over the age of 14 altering a decision to purchase an iPad or iPhone because some piece of junk Android device has teenage appealing ear buds. It is the same marketing strategy used before such as ads that show Droids are used by space age storm troopers. That simply didn't work. In fact if this is HTC's answer to taking on Apple it is either a sign of desperation or a total lack of reality or perhaps both. They may as well offer free plastic models of Darth Vader with every purchase.

Can no one just accept that HTC has purchased this company because it believes that it will allow them to create better products and have that be the end of it?

Why is everything always a competition?

As for your "piece of junk" comment - how many HTC devices have you used?
post #20 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

After teasing a "major news announcement" for the company, HTC CEO Peter Chou revealed that it has acquired a $300 million majority stake in audio technology company Beats Electronics, with the first HTC product to implement Beats technology due out later this year.

HTC said early Wednesday that it would make a major announcement on Thursday. The gravitas of the teaser had led some to suggest that the company might announce a settlement to its fierce legal dispute with rival Apple.

The rumored settlement failed to materialize, however, as Chou instead revealed the new partnership with Beats Electronics in an interview with All Things D.

With the magic of mobile devices, it is easier than ever to discover and buy new music, he said. However, without great sound experience it is a shame. According to the executive, the deal will help create "an emotional connection" to the HTC brand.

Chou said the first HTC product to include Beats technology will arrive later this year, but declined to provide further details. Beats has a pre-existing deal with HP that will remain intact, according to CEO Jimmy Iovine, as will the company's partnership with Monster on the Beats by Dr. Dre line of headphones.



HTC's deal with Beats follows a controversial $300 million acquisition of S3 Graphics. Given that S3 Graphics is currently suing Apple over image compression patents, it has been suggested that HTC purchased the company in order to gain leverage in its fight with Apple.

Investors have criticized the move as being unwise, but Chou has said the company will quickly prove worth its purchase price.

Apple's patent dispute with HTC began last year and has since come to be seen as a touchstone for the larger legal battle between Apple and Android. The U.S. International Trade Commission recently issued an initial ruling that found HTC had violated two of Apple's patented inventions. The ITC has also opened another investigation in response to a second complaint by Apple.

Chou has downplayed the seriousness of the disagreement, calling it a mere "distraction" and reassuring investors that the company will be unaffected by the lawsuits. But, analysts have cautioned that Apple may secure a high royalty precedent on HTC's and other manufacturers' Android devices.

LOL

Good for them - such actions only spell the end for their inferior technology at an even faster rate than before.
post #21 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

They're nice, but HTC depending on audio quality of music playback to differentiate themselves is a bit of a retro move.

Interesting play, in taking a majority stake they can block out other potential or current licensees.

Still, a bit retro and it ain't really gonna make HTC rise above mediocre.

What in the world makes anyone think that someone's going to change their phone purchasing decision on the basis of what might or might not be slightly better sound quality? And even if they are so concerned about sound quality, what stops them from buying a better set of headphones for their existing phone?

Perhaps they're planning a change to the internal electronics, but that would be a waste, as well. Even today, the electronics in most phones are good enough that only a very tiny percentage of listeners in an ideal listening environment could possibly distinguish between phones.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #22 of 59
"Beats" seems like a huge gimmick and it certainly didn't help the HP Touchpad much in terms of sales. It's just hype and morons buy it just because some celebrities name is tied to it. These same people would probably buy Justin Beiber's new perfume too.

I read that the "Beats" circuitry adds some sort of limiter or multiband compressor to the output chain. If that's the case, then I for one wouldn't want any "Beats" audio on my computer or devices.

I also think that the Apple "sound enhancer" in Itunes sucks monkeyballs and I prefer to listen to music and audio without any additional enhancement.
post #23 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


I also think that the Apple "sound enhancer" in Itunes sucks monkeyballs and I prefer to listen to music and audio without any additional enhancement.


Yep. These damn DSPs always make the sound worse, not better. High Fidelity does not mean "sounds less like the original source". It means that it sounds more like the producer intended. DSPs are kind of like putting filters over your oil painting to make it look "better". Would a lenticular filter over the Mona Lisa make it look better because it is "3D"? How about a filter over a Van Gogh to get rid of those damn bush strokes? Don't like the artist's shade of blue? Put a filter over it to make it green instead. Even better, put a filter on that can be changed, like those cheesy digital photo special effects: make it sepia instead of colored! Next day, make it look like it was lit with fluorescent lighting, or sunlight, or candlelight.

Yeah.
post #24 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

Yep. These damn DSPs always make the sound worse, not better. High Fidelity does not mean "sounds less like the original source". It means that it sounds more like the producer intended. DSPs are kind of like putting filters over your oil painting to make it look "better". Would a lenticular filter over the Mona Lisa make it look better because it is "3D"? How about a filter over a Van Gogh to get rid of those damn bush strokes? Don't like the artist's shade of blue? Put a filter over it to make it green instead. Even better, put a filter on that can be changed, like those cheesy digital photo special effects: make it sepia instead of colored! Next day, make it look like it was lit with fluorescent lighting, or sunlight, or candlelight.

Yeah.

I agree. Sound is best listened to in a good, hi quality chain that is as close to the original as possible.

The Apple sound enhancer actually messes with the phase and completely alters the original sound, making drums and other instruments sound like crap.

I keep my listening chain simple, an Apogee Duet hooked up the Mac and a really good AKG headphone hooked up the the Apogee Duet. I hear music and audio the way it was intended to be heard. No enhancements for me, thank you very much. Just good, clean, punchy sound.
post #25 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yawn ....

Exactly...

What the hell... did AI want to bring up the HTC suit with Apple but couldn't find anything new so they used this Beats story as a segue.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #26 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I agree. Sound is best listened to in a good, hi quality chain that is as close to the original as possible.

The Apple sound enhancer actually messes with the phase and completely alters the original sound, making drums and other instruments sound like crap.

I keep my listening chain simple, an Apogee Duet hooked up the Mac and a really good AKG headphone hooked up the the Apogee Duet. I hear music and audio the way it was intended to be heard. No enhancements for me, thank you very much. Just good, clean, punchy sound.

I think that is a good sound chain, but no one can say that is the way the music was intended to sound. It sure sounds good, but I assume that the music was meant to sound the way the music was monitored on an exact monitor or headphone. If you are listening to different headphones than the final mix engineers, it will sound different.

That Apogee Duet is great though. Would love to have that in my audio chain.
TouchMyApps - All things iPhone for those who like to touch
Reply
TouchMyApps - All things iPhone for those who like to touch
Reply
post #27 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

I've heard these "Beats" may be even higher quality than Apple's standard earbuds.

That would not be heard lol.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #28 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Perhaps we won't see HP laptop commercials anymore with Dr. Dre?

Yes, because those 1 or 2 commercials Dre made for them 2-3 years ago are on still constantly and prevent you from turning the channel. if you don't like him or hip-hop that's fine, but don't exaggerate or lie to make a phony point.
post #29 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

I think that is a good sound chain, but no one can say that is the way the music was intended to sound. It sure sounds good, but I assume that the music was meant to sound the way the music was monitored on an exact monitor or headphone. If you are listening to different headphones than the final mix engineers, it will sound different.

Which is simply an argument for purchasing audio equipment which is as accurate as possible. You get close to the intended music with a flat audio response with no added distortions. It's not hard to find portable audio equipment and headphones that are close enough to flat over 20-20,000 that there's really no need for anything else.

The concept that intentionally distorting the sound will somehow get it closer to the original is rather absurd.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #30 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

I think that is a good sound chain, but no one can say that is the way the music was intended to sound. It sure sounds good, but I assume that the music was meant to sound the way the music was monitored on an exact monitor or headphone. If you are listening to different headphones than the final mix engineers, it will sound different.

That Apogee Duet is great though. Would love to have that in my audio chain.

You're right that it's certainly not the exact same chain that was being used in the studio. The majority of big names mix through speakers/monitors, and in major studios those speakers and monitors usually have 15-18" woofers. You can feel the music, not just hear it through those kind of speakers. Headphones are only used a small amount of the time usually, the main mixing happens through speakers and monitors. That usually consists of a pair of nearfield monitors and a pair of larger main monitors. That's kind of hard to replicate in a home environment, unless somebody has a ton of money and a huge house with an acoustically designed room.
post #31 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Beats is a complete effing scam! Why do I say that? Because I have heard the sound and it isn't anything to write home about. But,If you're a sucker for high concept design then Monster's Beats' products and their superfluous packaging are right up your alley.
They are also built like s***! Everywhere I saw them they were freaking busted.

So, part of your complaint is that the demo models you saw in the store were allegedly broke? Hmmm... ever think they were broke from excess amounts of people testing them out and mishandling them? You cannot be that foolish to make that your argument to prove they are not good headphones?
post #32 of 59
HTC is impressively run. Solid company with good vision.
post #33 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You're right that it's certainly not the exact same chain that was being used in the studio. The majority of big names mix through speakers/monitors, and in major studios those speakers and monitors usually have 15-18" woofers. You can feel the music, not just hear it through those kind of speakers. Headphones are only used a small amount of the time usually, the main mixing happens through speakers and monitors. That usually consists of a pair of nearfield monitors and a pair of larger main monitors. That's kind of hard to replicate in a home environment, unless somebody has a ton of money and a huge house with an acoustically designed room.

While it's true that a handset isn't going to mimic studio monitors, good headphones come pretty close. Even though they obviously don't have massive subwoofers, they are moving a small enough volume of air that it's not that hard to get fairly flat response down to 20 Hz or so.

In any event, you don't 'fix' imperfections in your sound reproduction by intentionally adding distortions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

HTC is impressively run. Solid company with good vision.

I suppose one could argue that "we don't need to innovate because we'll just copy everything Apple does" is 'good vision'. Not that I would accept that definition, though.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #34 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Which is simply an argument for purchasing audio equipment which is as accurate as possible. You get close to the intended music with a flat audio response with no added distortions. It's not hard to find portable audio equipment and headphones that are close enough to flat over 20-20,000 that there's really no need for anything else.

The concept that intentionally distorting the sound will somehow get it closer to the original is rather absurd.

Yeah, I've no problem at all with any output as long as the distortion is chosen wisely. If for instance, bass distorts into blooms and/or echoes poorly from the resonance chamber of the headphone cup or speaker enclosure, I dislike the distortion.

But, I'm no longer into 'ultra fidelity at any cost'. My favourite headphones are and will remain the Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ω, though I've a soft spot for a few nicer, more expensive ones such as the HD800, and the T1, and the L3000 from Audio Technica.

Each have a flavour, and even purists who argue that AKG's studio monitors favour high frequencies, or do not apply the ear's natural frequency to the output, and actually induce an unnatural distortion of their own.

For me, I've settled into just loving music. The DT880 aren't as linear as the AKG's, but their smooth mids and good, but not trumped up bass, combined with a semi-peaky high range, are perfect.

Comfort for both is phenomenal. AKG and Beyer are probably my favs, though I am pressed toward Audio Technica more and more.

Beats aren't competing at all with high end audio and are not marketed toward stodgy audiophiles. They are marketed to the largest market and they do well. They sound good, but not great. Jude from Headfi said quite honestly that the Beats are probably the best headphone the average person will ever hear because, no average person will go to check out high end headphones and will likely prefer something from a brand they know, and that other people like.

I used to get all worked up over this audiophile thing. I hated the iPod, Monster, Bose, and that ilk for spreading a false audio agenda. Then I realised that everyone has different personal focuses. If your focus is audio, then get what you like, but preaching to people who just want a cool pair of headphones, is stupid.

A lot of audio junkies will ride bikes from companies that are the Beats or the Bose in the bicycle world, or use cameras that are the same, or shop at clothing shops that are the same thing. I'll have to admit that after dropping my audiophile identity (and a short fugue), I became a happier person as I don't care whether or not a person uses a certain headphone.
TouchMyApps - All things iPhone for those who like to touch
Reply
TouchMyApps - All things iPhone for those who like to touch
Reply
post #35 of 59
HTC is expanding quick, my bet is they will get into the notebook market next. HTC went from relatively unknown to a major player.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #36 of 59
I'm not an audiophile, but I did hear the difference with beats on hp laptop. But for me headphones also make a crazy difference and the iPhone sounds much better with my pair of "good" headphones. So my question is will HTC splurge on shipping good headphones with their phones? Cause otherwise I don't know if people will notice.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #37 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I agree. Sound is best listened to in a good, hi quality chain that is as close to the original as possible.

The Apple sound enhancer actually messes with the phase and completely alters the original sound, making drums and other instruments sound like crap.

I keep my listening chain simple, an Apogee Duet hooked up the Mac and a really good AKG headphone hooked up the the Apogee Duet. I hear music and audio the way it was intended to be heard. No enhancements for me, thank you very much. Just good, clean, punchy sound.

Back in the day, my system was a high-quality, simple belt-drive turntable with a massive platter (no servo-feedback crap), plugged into a New York Audio Labs SuperIT tube type phono preamp, plugged into an ADCOM 200 Watt/channel amplifer. My speakers were Snell two-way systems, with massive heavy cabinets and a simple crossover.

With a good recording it sounded glorious. Deep, wide soundstage with depth and height. Tight bass. Accurate midrange and treble.

Most people had never heard good audio, so they can be forgiven for thinking that gimmicky crap sounds "better".

Nowadays some movie theaters have very good sound systems.
post #38 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

I used to get all worked up over this audiophile thing. I hated the iPod,.


But the iPod used to use a good quality DAC. With lossless material, it sounded OK. Not any more, unfortunately.
post #39 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

So, part of your complaint is that the demo models you saw in the store were allegedly broke? Hmmm... ever think they were broke from excess amounts of people testing them out and mishandling them? You cannot be that foolish to make that your argument to prove they are not good headphones?

Just read a bunch of customer reviews on amazon a few months ago, poor build quality came up way too often. I went with the Sennheiser hd 555's, very happy.
post #40 of 59
Move along people, nothing to see here. Seriously, this was the 'big' announcement? You have to be kidding me. What a wasted $300M....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › HTC announces 'major' $300M investment in Beats Electronics