or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Apple to begin 'iPhone 4S,' iPad 3 production in Sept for Oct launch
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Apple to begin 'iPhone 4S,' iPad 3 production in Sept for Oct launch - Page 2

post #41 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Frankly I don't think we can have an iPad 3 with a high resolution screen without an upgraded SoC. Such a machine would need a faster GPU and more bandwidth to memory. So if you look at this as October being a month and a half away it really doesn't look all that impossible that an A6 based device could come this year. At least from a hardware standpoint.

The A5 could easily drive double the resolution, you wouldn't need a faster SoC for that. I'd even go as far as saying the A4 could possibly do it, as long as you only render the iOS UI at native resolution, and switch to 2x mode for games and other programs that are graphics heavy. Memory bandwidth is hardly an issue, and not actually dependent on screen resolution that much on mobile GPU's such as the A4 and the A5, because they use tile-based deferred rendering (ie: ideally, all data required for rendering phases after T&L come from ridiculously fast on-chip buffers). Of course memory size and bandwidth requirements will be higher if applications start using double resolution textures, but that's only relevant when you are pushing the limits, ie: in games and such. The only thing that matters for rendering the iOS UI on double resolution is fill-rate, since geometric complexity and texture sizes don't increase much rendering the same UI at double the resolution.
post #42 of 88
Don't expect a new iPad this year.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #43 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by shompa View Post

It may not be so easy as and linear like: 4 times the pixels means 4 times more CPU/Graphic and memory. Would you agree that an A5 would not be able to support a Retina display?

Would you agree that the A4 was able to support the iPad? The A5 is more than 4 times more powerful in GPU terms. Machines using lessor graphics cards 10 years ago were quite capable of driving a bigger display. With double the resolution they can always drop by half when running a 3D game, but use native when reading iBooks, browsing web etc.

The A5 is perfectly capable of supporting a HiDPI device.
post #44 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Supporting those claims, both LG and Samsung are said to be working on low temperature polysilicon 2048-by-1536-pixel displays for Apple's next-generation tablet.[c]

Guess what the next Samsung tablet will have for a display. That's why I just don't get why Apple works with a direct competitor to develop key components. Might as well just give them the prototypes they asked for in court! Samsung makes half the parts anyway and can pretty much deduce what's coming. It's like they are a branch of Apple R&D. Can't Apple find a supplier that doesn't also sell tablets and smartphones?
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #45 of 88
Sorry for not reading all of the posts but it doesn't surprise me that there could be an iPhone 4S and 5 released simultaneously. There have been rumors that Apple has plans for two tiers of iPhones and this would fit that model. In fact there really are two tiers today if you count the 3GS as a second tier instead of just a "holdover model" or whatever they call it at AT&T.

The iPhone 5 seems to be headed in the all new model direction. The 4GS might just be a "new 4" with some internal updates which functionally replaces the 3GS.
post #46 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-range View Post

The A5 could easily drive double the resolution, you wouldn't need a faster SoC for that. I'd even go as far as saying the A4 could possibly do it, as long as you only render the iOS UI at native resolution, and switch to 2x mode for games and other programs that are graphics heavy. Memory bandwidth is hardly an issue, and not actually dependent on screen resolution on mobile GPU's such as the A4 and the A5, because they use tile-based deferred rendering. Of course memory size and bandwidth requirements will be higher if applications start using double resolution textures, but that's only relevant when you are pushing the limits, ie: in games and such.

The only problem I see is you still have 4x the pixels to push out the frame buffer even if you're rendering the 3D at half the native resolution. But if it can do that without modified silicon, it might still be 2x as fast as the original iPad.
post #47 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Guess what the next Samsung tablet will have for a display. That's why I just don't get why Apple works with a direct competitor to develop key components. Might as well just give them the prototypes they asked for in court! Samsung makes half the parts anyway and can pretty much deduce what's coming. It's like they are a branch of Apple R&D. Can't Apple find a supplier that doesn't also sell tablets and smartphones?

Actually the new Samsung tablet will probably have their already demoed display which is a HiDPI RGBW Pentile affair that Apple wouldn't piss on if it was on fire.
post #48 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

iPhone with some battery life improvements, some new features, iOS 5 update & A5 chip would work fine. There's no solid word as to why they pushed their update cycle this time, it might not be their fault given they use some Japanese parts suppliers.



Same here. I don't think a full third generation product is likely.

April/May it was reported that Iphone5 would be released late August/early september.

Ios was delayed, maybe because of the Verizon version of iPhone.

The software is whats makes the Iphone unique. Apple would not ship iPhone 5 with iOS4. Since iOS 5 was delayed 3-4 month, this is probably the reason for the iPhone delayed.

Apple at least tries to have a 3 month beta run before they release iOS. (that is at least what they have done historically).

What other reasons for the delay could it be?
1) The rumor about that the A5 is to hot? (I don't believe it)
2) Apple wanted to redesign the SoC? (Historically Apple have used the same SoC in iPad and iPhone. To have 2 different SoC designs seems to be a waste of PAsemi limited resources. )
post #49 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

In no way did Apple say there would be no new iPads this year. All they implied was that this is the year of iPad 2. I'm still amazed that people can read so much into that phrase that just isn't there. However it doesn't say anything positive to see "Kaspers Automated Slave" repeating the same mistake.

As to the A6 it is interesting that the rumors are about a "trial production". If this was a tape out you could expect another six months before integration and mass production. However trial production seems to imply they are well past that stage.

Frankly I don't think we can have an iPad 3 with a high resolution screen without an upgraded SoC. Such a machine would need a faster GPU and more bandwidth to memory. So if you look at this as October being a month and a half away it really doesn't look all that impossible that an A6 based device could come this year. At least from a hardware standpoint.

In any event keep the rumors coming.

I agree and want just to add this:
TSMC will have less then 1% 28nm wafer revenue in Q4 this year. Nowhere near enough for mass production of an iOS device. Earliest Q1 that TSMC can mass produce an 28nm SoC for Apple.
post #50 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Actually the new Samsung tablet will probably have their already demoed display which is a HiDPI RGBW Pentile affair that Apple wouldn't piss on if it was on fire.

Wouldn't extinguish Pentile conflagration with penile evacuation.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #51 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Would you agree that the A4 was able to support the iPad? The A5 is more than 4 times more powerful in GPU terms. Machines using lessor graphics cards 10 years ago were quite capable of driving a bigger display. With double the resolution they can always drop by half when running a 3D game, but use native when reading iBooks, browsing web etc.

The A5 is perfectly capable of supporting a HiDPI device.

Yes. It can support it in a static picture. But you could not have one single productive native resolution App/game or anything else.

A game that have 40FPS would have less then 10 in retina.

So. We have to agree to disagree. I don't believe Apple release subpar products. They haven't done it so far.

I would understand a IpadHD if Apple redesigned its SoC. ST-Ericsson have a dual core 1.5ghz with PowerVR6. Since Apple license the same parts, they should be able to produce a similar SoC. That SoC would take away the performance penalty by rendering 4 times the pixels.
post #52 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Wouldn't extinguish Pentile conflagration with penile evacuation.

post #53 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Sorry for not reading all of the posts but it doesn't surprise me that there could be an iPhone 4S and 5 released simultaneously. There have been rumors that Apple has plans for two tiers of iPhones and this would fit that model. In fact there really are two tiers today if you count the 3GS as a second tier instead of just a "holdover model" or whatever they call it at AT&T.

The iPhone 5 seems to be headed in the all new model direction. The 4GS might just be a "new 4" with some internal updates which functionally replaces the 3GS.

I hope for a cheaper iCloud iPhone. The NAND Flash is one of the most expensive component in the iPhone. By stripping it down to 4 gig and offer Icloid instead Apple could make the device smaller and cheaper.
post #54 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by shompa View Post

I hope for a cheaper iCloud iPhone. The NAND Flash is one of the most expensive component in the iPhone. By stripping it down to 4 gig and offer Icloid instead Apple could make the device smaller and cheaper.

Except it's worthless with the telecoms limiting you to 2GB of data.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #55 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Ok, maybe this is something that you don't understand I'll try to explain. The touchscreen is not an integral part of the LCD, it's an additional bit of electronics. Increasing the resolution of the LCD has no impiications for the touchscreen. Zero. Zilch. Squat. So the supply constraints on the touchscreen component do not matter.

Again I strongly recommend you avoid 'factual' statements.

Ok. I stand corrected since I used the wrong term. I should have used the term "display panels". It could have been constructive criticism if you simply was not so rude.

My facts where 100% exempt that i called it touch display instead of "display panel".

The constrain is the "display panel" that is manufactured by Samsung and LG. Especially now since Apple have stopped orders from LG. http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110810PD200.html

The problem is the same. Who is going to produce 5-10 million retina display panels?
A display with 4 times the pixels. Much harder to manufacture.
post #56 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Except it's worthless with the telecoms limiting you to 2GB of data.

I guess you live in US?

Many other countries does not have that problem.

A bit of topic:
AT & T has 1/3 of the recommended base station density for 3G. This is the reason for all dropped calls and data caps. AT & T tells us that the reason for this is because they won't get building permits for cell towers. I really don't believe that. They just want to make more profit by buying less cell towers.

There is also WiFi almost every where. The local 4 gig would be enough as a cache between WiFi spots?
post #57 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Ok. I stand corrected since I used the wrong term. I should have used the term "display panels". It could have been constructive criticism if you simply was not so rude.

My facts where 100% exempt that i called it touch display instead of "display panel".

The constrain is the "display panel" that is manufactured by Samsung and LG. Especially now since Apple have stopped orders from LG. http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110810PD200.html

The problem is the same. Who is going to produce 5-10 million retina display panels?
A display with 4 times the pixels. Much harder to manufacture.

Who ever said that anybody would make 10million? What is being discussed here is an iPad-Pro, it's an addition to the line not a replacement. So if they get 1million Retina iPad screens that's 1 million fewer non retina LCD panels they need to find. There's no reason to assume that they'd be on the same production lines.

By your argument the iPad-2 shouldn't be using the A5 since Apple is supply constrained on the A4 and Samsung makes both. Actually that would have been a better argument since the A5 really is made on the same production lines as the A4 and is slightly bigger so fewer chips to a wafer.

Whatever lines LG & Samsung are setting up for HiDPI panels, will be completely new because demand for panels in the 10inch size bracket is growing exponentially.
post #58 of 88
Apple is DONE with the "s" nomenclature. Period.

The iPhone 4 is actually the fourth iPhone. To suggest they'll be an iPhone 4S is to suggest the next one will be the iPhone 6 and there's no way in hell Apple will cause that confusion. Enough already. THINK.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
post #59 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Yes. It can support it in a static picture. But you could not have one single productive native resolution App/game or anything else.

It could support the Kindle app, the iBooks app, Safari, Photos, probably 1080p Video. It could most likely support 3D games in higher resolution at current texture quality.

Quote:
A game that have 40FPS would have less then 10 in retina.

That's at absolute worst. The scaling factor is almost always less bad, and most games on the iPad are designed to work with the iPhone and iPad-1 as well, so they're scaled for an A4, not an A5. Given that the A5 has according to Apple 9 times the graphics performance, they'd be 90FPS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A5
post #60 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

In no way did Apple say there would be no new iPads this year. All they implied was that this is the year of iPad 2. I'm still amazed that people can read so much into that phrase that just isn't there. However it doesn't say anything positive to see "Kaspers Automated Slave" repeating the same mistake.

As to the A6 it is interesting that the rumors are about a "trial production". If this was a tape out you could expect another six months before integration and mass production. However trial production seems to imply they are well past that stage.

Frankly I don't think we can have an iPad 3 with a high resolution screen without an upgraded SoC. Such a machine would need a faster GPU and more bandwidth to memory. So if you look at this as October being a month and a half away it really doesn't look all that impossible that an A6 based device could come this year. At least from a hardware standpoint.

In any event keep the rumors coming.

Dave,

Deferring to your greater knowledge and experience in this area: Wouldn't an iPad 3's requirement for two potentially low-yield parts, the retina display, and the A6 -- make it unlikely for release in 2011?
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #61 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Guess what the next Samsung tablet will have for a display. That's why I just don't get why Apple works with a direct competitor to develop key components. Might as well just give them the prototypes they asked for in court! Samsung makes half the parts anyway and can pretty much deduce what's coming. It's like they are a branch of Apple R&D. Can't Apple find a supplier that doesn't also sell tablets and smartphones?

Apple have been backstabbed now from many companies.
1) MSFT hail MacOS as the only operating system they want to use. Then they use mac prototypes to clone Windows.
2) Google is in Apples boardroom. Sees iPhone prototypes and clones it.
3) Apple pays Samsung 1 billion dollar in 2005 to get Samsung NAND FLASH unit of the ground. Apple use Samsung memory and their production lines to produce the ARM processors in iOS devices. Samsung back stabs Apple and release products with many of the same components that they deliver to Apple.
4) FoxConn. In the morning they do Apple stuff. Afternoon Dell stuff and during the night pirated version of the above stuff.

I wish Apple could use some of its money and start to manufacture some of it own stuff.

Buy Nokia. It is cheap and have great factories. (one of the reason why Nokia could do insane profits with mobile phones ASP of a bit over 100 dollars)
post #62 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Apple have been backstabbed now from many companies.
1) MSFT hail MacOS as the only operating system they want to use. Then they use mac prototypes to clone Windows.
2) Google is in Apples boardroom. Sees iPhone prototypes and clones it.
3) Apple pays Samsung 1 billion dollar in 2005 to get Samsung NAND FLASH unit of the ground. Apple use Samsung memory and their production lines to produce the ARM processors in iOS devices. Samsung back stabs Apple and release products with many of the same components that they deliver to Apple.
4) FoxConn. In the morning they do Apple stuff. Afternoon Dell stuff and during the night pirated version of the above stuff.

I wish Apple could use some of its money and start to manufacture some of it own stuff.

Buy Nokia. It is cheap and have great factories. (one of the reason why Nokia could do insane profits with mobile phones ASP of a bit over 100 dollars)

Gz, yet another error strewn post - you're definitely keeping the average nice and high.

1) Was there ever a time that MSFT was entirely a Mac software firm? No. MS didn't get serious about Apple development until the mid 80s, when it was already making most of its money from MS-DOS. The idea that it was ever devoted to Mac OS is ludicrous.
2) Google was working on phones as far back as 2005. Apple knew this and so Schmidt recused himself from board meetings in which the iPhone was discussed. Schmidt stayed on the board until long after Android launched. If Schmidt had broken an NDA Apple could have sued him personally and caused tremendous grief for Google - they didn't, likely because they know he didn't.
3) Samsung's component business and Samsung's consumer business have little to do with each other, as people have said over and over - big conglomerates aren't run the way that Apple is run.
4) Foxconn is an incredibly highly valued partner of Apple. Tim Cook has referred to the relationship as part of the 'secret sauce' that has allowed Apple to do so well in the modern hardware environment. Apple clearly doesn't feel betrayed by Foxconn in any way shape or form.
post #63 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The only problem I see is you still have 4x the pixels to push out the frame buffer even if you're rendering the 3D at half the native resolution. But if it can do that without modified silicon, it might still be 2x as fast as the original iPad.

The pixel doubling at least seems to be built into the graphics hardware already, so in 2x mode the frame buffer would still be operating as if it were driving a 1024 x 768 panel. Consider the iPad 1... If you run a graphically-intensive iPhone app on the iPad 1 and hit the "2x" button, the frame rate doesn't drop. It's doing the same thing, and also by a factor of 4. Further evidence that this is happening in hardware is that 2x mode on current iPads doesn't render fonts in the higher native resolution, but instead in pixel-doubled iPhone resolution. If the doubling were happening in software, it'd be a no-brainer to render the fonts in native resolution to make running iPhone apps on the iPad at least a little more palatable. However, with the doubling done in hardware, it would be impossible. I'm not saying I'm certain, but it seems to be pretty compelling evidence to me.
post #64 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Wouldn't extinguish Pentile conflagration with penile evacuation.

lol
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #65 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Apple have been backstabbed now from many companies.
1) MSFT hail MacOS as the only operating system they want to use. Then they use mac prototypes to clone Windows.

Woz said that Apple traded the rights to a GUI system for the rights to Microsoft's Basic.

Quote:
2) Google is in Apples boardroom. Sees iPhone prototypes and clones it.

Except that Apple neglected to kick Eric off the board for years, and they said Eric was recused when the iPhone came up for discussion.

Quote:
3) Apple pays Samsung 1 billion dollar in 2005 to get Samsung NAND FLASH unit of the ground. Apple use Samsung memory and their production lines to produce the ARM processors in iOS devices. Samsung back stabs Apple and release products with many of the same components that they deliver to Apple.

Apple probably got exclusivity for a year or two. After that, Samsung can sell to anyone. Much like how Apple paid LG to build the factory that makes the 30" monitors, got exclusivity on those panels for a year or so, then other companies can buy them.

Do you have any proof that Samsung is using Apple's chip design?
post #66 of 88
Not this iPad 2 Plus Pro Super Ultra thing again. What's the motivation for Apple? Fragment iPad 2 market? The bigger screen would have to have twice the resolution of iPad 2 to work in the Apple Way. Does the A5 have enough graphics bandwidth to even draw that screen at the silky smooth 60fps Apple requires?

But this reeks of fanboy wishful thinking more than anything. (I'm one of them. yes, it would be cool. But it makes no business sense whatsoever at least the way Apple does things.)
post #67 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by StigsHero View Post

The pixel doubling at least seems to be built into the graphics hardware already, so in 2x mode the frame buffer would still be operating as if it were driving a 1024 x 768 panel. Consider the iPad 1... If you run a graphically-intensive iPhone app on the iPad 1 and hit the "2x" button, the frame rate doesn't drop. It's doing the same thing, and also by a factor of 4. Further evidence that this is happening in hardware is that 2x mode on current iPads doesn't render fonts in the higher native resolution, but instead in pixel-doubled iPhone resolution. If the doubling were happening in software, it'd be a no-brainer to render the fonts in native resolution to make running iPhone apps on the iPad at least a little more palatable. However, with the doubling done in hardware, it would be impossible. I'm not saying I'm certain, but it seems to be pretty compelling evidence to me.

It's only around double the pixel count on the iPad as the iP-4 and an utterly different aspect ratio, 960x640 to 1024x1280, so presumably iPad 2X mode is actually rather different from retina doubling. A better example would be how the iP-4 handled software written for the 3GS.
post #68 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicron View Post

Not this iPad 2 Plus Pro Super Ultra thing again. What's the motivation for Apple? Fragment iPad 2 market? The bigger screen would have to have twice the resolution of iPad 2 to work in the Apple Way. Does the A5 have enough graphics bandwidth to even draw that screen at the silky smooth 60fps Apple requires?

But this reeks of fanboy wishful thinking more than anything. (I'm one of them. yes, it would be cool. But it makes no business sense whatsoever at least the way Apple does things.)

Apple claims the A5 has a GPU that is nine times more powerful than the A4. The problem isn't the SoC, the problem is availability of the displays. If Apple can get HiDPI 10inch displays then it has no reason not to use them.
post #69 of 88
Ha. I know this is still a rumor, but I called this a long time ago! However, everyone wanted to believe the IP5 would be out in June of this year! Apple doesn't rush new hardware onto the market until there's new software that the old hardware just can't handle properly. I bet IP5 won't be out until mid next year. iPad 3 could be an xmas launch, but we'll see.
post #70 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by storneo View Post

Ha. I know this is still a rumor, but I called this a long time ago! However, everyone wanted to believe the IP5 would be out in June of this year! Apple doesn't rush new hardware onto the market until there's new software that the old hardware just can't handle properly. I bet IP5 won't be out until mid next year. iPad 3 could be an xmas launch, but we'll see.

iPhone-4 will be able to support iOS 5 just fine. Last year's MBP supports Lion just fine. Apple doesn't hold back hardware just because there's no OS that would tax it. Apple releases hardware when it's ready, they release software when it's ready. Ideally they release them together, but not always.
post #71 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

When you consider that the iPhone 4 is almost 15 months old the next iPhone had better not be an iPhone 4S!

It will be, because the majority of folks aren't going to pay the added costs to buy in mid contract so the audience is really the 3GS buyers.

That said they are calling it the iPhone 5


Quote:
Originally Posted by NextTechnocrati View Post

I will go with Mango once it releases. Just got tired of this "Sept-Oct-4S-i5" thing. Apple should realize that IPhone fans have been waiting too long and may not put up with this guessing game anymore. This guessing hype is getting old and counter-productive. Give us a date or else.....

Most folks have no issue with waiting. They figure the delay is due to the eartquake or such an they just roll with it. They will be there to buy whe it happens

So you go on and walk, Apple won't notice you leaving cause they will be too busy with the hundreds of jazillions of folks that stuck around.

By the by, how's that $25.00 a share treating ya

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #72 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by storneo View Post

Ha. I know this is still a rumor, but I called this a long time ago! However, everyone wanted to believe the IP5 would be out in June of this year! Apple doesn't rush new hardware onto the market until there's new software that the old hardware just can't handle properly. I bet IP5 won't be out until mid next year. iPad 3 could be an xmas launch, but we'll see.

iOS 5 is supported on all iPads and all iPhones after iP3G -- the iP3GS and the iP4:


Quote:
iOS 5 beta 5 Downloads
iPad 2 (Wi-Fi)
iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (GSM)
iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (CDMA)
iPad (Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + 3G)
iPhone 4 (GSM)
iPhone 4 (CDMA)
iPhone 3GS
iPod touch (4th generation)
iPod touch (3rd generation)
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #73 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, no. It's not AppleInsider's fault. They're just reporting everything, which is better than selectively not posting crap (even if everyone probably thinks isn't true). WE are the legitimacy filter, not AppleInsider.

They're basically the only unbiased news source left. Look at it that way.

Maybe a little more curation would be warranted.

Posting ALL crap is not better than selectively posting crap, BTW. It's still crap.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #74 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Maybe a little more curation would be warranted.

Posting ALL crap is not better than selectively posting crap, BTW. It's still crap.

Ahh, but sometimes you can find patterns in the crap, like an image of Jesus in a cow pat.
post #75 of 88
So plan B then?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #76 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The roughly translated report also mentions an "iPhone 5" as well, with the author noting that he has "not found any information" about such hardware. The comment could be interpreted to suggest that an iPhone 4S, based off of the current iPhone 4, might be sold in addition to a proper fifth-generation iPhone.


Alternate translation: The writer hasn't found any info about the iPhone 5 hardware because the iPhone 5 is what he thinks is the 4s and he's merely bought into the rumors that there would be both.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

If the next iPhone only turns out to be a processor and RAM upgrade, I think this would be a huge disappointment for both consumers and investors.

No, YOU would be disappointed. Because you feel that the only worthy updates are those that rewrite what it means to be a smartphone every time. 99.99% of consumers would disagree, in part because they don't buy a new phone every year. So they are coming from a 3gs not a 4 and even a 4s would be a huge improvement for them. And they will buy it even if it is just a little more ram and a slightly better camera and the high sales will make the investors very happy

Quote:
Apple has not released a new handset in well over a year

Where's the law that says they can't deviate from a strict 12 month cycle. No where. Get over it


Quote:
and I think it would signal a huge problem with their design team if the best they could come up with in that time was a minor speed bump.

To you maybe but not to the other 99.99% of folks who get that sometimes the best improvements come from better software rather than putting in a 20MP camera, an i7 processor, a 500 dpi screen, NFC and 4g that has little to no actual carrier support in most of the country much less the world and whatever other geek wanks you think simply must be in this next phone or it is a failure

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #77 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by suddenly newton View Post

so plan b then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

alternate translation: The writer hasn't found any info about the iphone 5 hardware because the iphone 5 is what he thinks is the 4s and he's merely bought into the rumors that there would be both.




No, you would be disappointed. Because you feel that the only worthy updates are those that rewrite what it means to be a smartphone every time. 99.99% of consumers would disagree, in part because they don't buy a new phone every year. So they are coming from a 3gs not a 4 and even a 4s would be a huge improvement for them. And they will buy it even if it is just a little more ram and a slightly better camera and the high sales will make the investors very happy


where's the law that says they can't deviate from a strict 12 month cycle. No where. Get over it


to you maybe but not to the other 99.99% of folks who get that sometimes the best improvements come from better software rather than putting in a 20mp camera, an i7 processor, a 500 dpi screen, nfc and 4g that has little to no actual carrier support in most of the country much less the world and whatever other geek wanks you think simply must be in this next phone or it is a failure

+++qft
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #78 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Most folks have no issue with waiting. They figure the delay is due to the eartquake or such an they just roll with it. They will be there to buy whe it happens

So you go on and walk, Apple won't notice you leaving cause they will be too busy with the hundreds of jazillions of folks that stuck around.

That's what you think. You don't give an inch of opportunity to the competition. Mango folks at Microsoft are licking their chops at this opportunity and this is a huge opening for them to sneak in while iPhone 5 is not even in the oven yet. I am a huge fan of Apple. But when Apple starts to think that the fans can wait forever, that's when I feel their arrogance. Consumers in general (excluding hardcore fanboys like myself) can be swayed easily more so when they see the newer and shinier (and cheaper!) alternative devices in the market.
post #79 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextTechnocrati View Post

That's what you think. You don't give an inch of opportunity to the competition. Mango folks at Microsoft are licking their chops at this opportunity and this is a huge opening for them to sneak in while iPhone 5 is not even in the oven yet. I am a huge fan of Apple. But when Apple starts to think that the fans can wait forever, that's when I feel their arrogance. Consumers in general (excluding hardcore fanboys like myself) can be swayed easily more so when they see the newer and shinier (and cheaper!) alternative devices in the market.

And we see how successful all the competitors have been in the mobile space......

Apple has a perfectly valid strategy which has proven to be quite successful. They've shown that there are plenty of customers who are NOT looking for the latest, shiniest gimmick. It is also clear that Apple is not resting on its laurels as you are alleging. "iPhone 5 is not even in the oven yet"? Bull. The next version of the iPhone is certainly well into the testing stage by now and based on product development cycles, they almost certainly have prototypes of the following version. They probably even have concepts for the version after that.

But feel free to explain to us how your marketing and product development experience is such that we should listen to you telling Apple what to do.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #80 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextTechnocrati View Post

That's what you think. You don't give an inch of opportunity to the competition. Mango folks at Microsoft are licking their chops at this opportunity and this is a huge opening for them to sneak in while iPhone 5 is not even in the oven yet. I am a huge fan of Apple. But when Apple starts to think that the fans can wait forever, that's when I feel their arrogance. Consumers in general (excluding hardcore fanboys like myself) can be swayed easily more so when they see the newer and shinier (and cheaper!) alternative devices in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

And we see how successful all the competitors have been in the mobile space......

Apple has a perfectly valid strategy which has proven to be quite successful. They've shown that there are plenty of customers who are NOT looking for the latest, shiniest gimmick. It is also clear that Apple is not resting on its laurels as you are alleging. "iPhone 5 is not even in the oven yet"? Bull. The next version of the iPhone is certainly well into the testing stage by now and based on product development cycles, they almost certainly have prototypes of the following version. They probably even have concepts for the version after that.

But feel free to explain to us how your marketing and product development experience is such that we should listen to you telling Apple what to do.

@jragosta is right! Add to that Apple's timing and their canny ability to get the competition to play their high card... then trump it.,,, GalaxyTab, PlayBook, Xoom come to mind.

I suspect that Apple always has several new versions of all their existing products in various stages of development -- and depending on opportunity/necessity can announce/release a follow-on product at almost any time. Apple has repeatedly demonstrated that they can announce that they are going to change the world in 6 months (or less) and deliver on that promise.

Everyone else just shoots their wad by announcing early and never delivering... or worse, delivering last week's lunch.

That's why we wait on Apple...

Edit: It is also very comforting to Apple customers to know that they will get a product that will last (and be competitive) for a reasonable lifetime -- rather than become obsolete on the drive home from the store. That's because Apple concentrates on what's meaningful -- and eliminates all the cruft (bells and whistles).
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Rumor: Apple to begin 'iPhone 4S,' iPad 3 production in Sept for Oct launch
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Apple to begin 'iPhone 4S,' iPad 3 production in Sept for Oct launch